PDA

View Full Version : First attempt

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-23-2001, 10:47 AM
I took up drawing a few months ago, starting with pencil, but have recently moved on to pen and ink. This jaguar was done with a crow's quill pen and normal black ink, and it's about 12' x 10'.
Comments or suggestions most welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2001/tehkurah2.jpg

Saau.

Christie
08-23-2001, 01:55 PM
Very nice! I love the fur and the nose is great! It must have been a job to get the spots just right.

RuthT
08-23-2001, 02:02 PM
Lovely work Saau - a great first attempt. Welcome to the pen and ink forum :)

halachmi
08-23-2001, 03:20 PM
great work. great texture of the fur and the spots.
the pupils dosen't seem to me equal, but maybe i'm wrong.

pat turcotte
08-23-2001, 03:34 PM
Saau...what an interesting name. How do you pronounce it?
You've certainly done a great job for such a beginner!! For anyone for that matter. I think the eyes look more human than catlike. I'd suggest you could profit by reserving some white highlights especially as would show in the eyes.
When I had students I always told them that I thought the first thing to decide was where your whitest whites were going to be. (this also holds true for defining your darkest dark). Then stick to it unless you find a satisfactory reason not to.
Just my two cents. You've done a great job. You should be very pleased for how far you've come in such a short amount of time.
Pat

artdude
08-23-2001, 06:58 PM
:clap:
YIKES!! AWESOME job on inking the Jaguar Saau :) Especially for being a beginner. I do agree with Pat's comment about the eyes though. Other than that it's GREAT!! Hope to see more ink work soon :D

Saau_Hatshepsut
08-23-2001, 08:29 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and suggestions, I'll see what I can do with him sometime today.
Pat>> Saau (Sah-Ouu) is Egyptian, it means 'Keeper', it's more of a title than a name, but if the shoe fits... *L*

Saau.

sherville
09-09-2001, 08:29 AM
I really don't have the right to post in this forum since I'm so bad at Pen and Ink myself, hehehe!! But since I was taking a stroll through this forum.. and came across this fabulous picture I thought how could I not post?
I have fallen in love with this picture - It really is amazing.. all those little strokes for the hair. It is a very striking picture. :)

NorahT
09-09-2001, 10:00 AM
Am pleased you decided to try pen and ink - that is one handsome jag! Great pen work :)