PDA

View Full Version : Old style portrait

Sergey
08-23-2001, 05:12 AM
Hi friends (hope I can use this word),
I posted this image in Drawing and Portraiture forums before I realiazed that there is a specific Pen and Ink forum :D. I'm glad WC has it. One of the greatest mediums in my opinion. And definitely the most expressive among monochrome ones.
Hope you like the portrait:)

RuthT
08-23-2001, 05:38 AM
Hi Sergey - glad you found us and showed us your beautiful portrait. I like the eyes, and the variety of tones you have created.

btw, this forum was one of several new ones added about 3.5 weeks ago, so you arrived at the right time - welcome :)

Sergey
08-23-2001, 06:05 AM
Thanks Ruth. You can't imagine how happy I'm to hear the word "beautiful" about this drawing. It has some proportional mistakes of course, but I usually tend to think more of colors and shages of gray. Though I've recently discovered Ingres, and now I begin to have love to the lines themselves.

Christie
08-23-2001, 02:00 PM
You have captured his expression wonderfully! I think that it is a wonderful portrait.

Don't worry about the errors, they make it a unique piece of work.:)

baquitania
08-23-2001, 02:18 PM
Sergey:

It's a great piece, and made me think of Durer, a personal favorite, do you know him, here is a link http://www.abcgallery.com/D/durer/durer47.html
He has some great b/w images on this site too, check it out.

Welcome to WC!!! Bobby

artdude
08-23-2001, 07:04 PM
:clap:
Great ink work Sergey!! Glad you found the Pen & Ink forum.
Really like your directional line work for the shading in the face and the expression. Hope to see more of your ink work soon. :)

Sergey
08-24-2001, 03:17 AM
Thank you for all replies:). I like the medium and hope to send something more soon. I'm working on a large oil painting now, and sometimes do drawings to relax a little.
Do I know Durer??? Of course!!! He is one of my favourites too.
I don't think his oil paintings are very interesting but his drawings and etching are great. I saw his "Putti, Dancing and Playing Music" drawing and liked pen and ink forever.
Maybe I'll try etching some day :D
I know the abcgallery site too. Usually they don't have great quality of images, but there is a great number of them.
Thank you again.

Minagi
09-08-2001, 01:52 PM
Great job! This portrait conveys the *HARUMPH!*-mood of the old man brilliantly ;)

NorahT
09-08-2001, 07:39 PM
Great pen and ink work! I am very new to pen and ink, so will study your portrait for inspiration :)

Sergey
09-09-2001, 12:29 PM
Oh thank you Minagi and Norah.
I'm so happy you like it. I'll post some more works soon I hope.