PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Jimi Hendrix

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-03-2004, 01:03 AM
This will be a WIP that attempts to paint Jimi Hendrix using a well-known photo of him gazing off into that purple haze with lazy, daydreamy eyes. I will be posting more detailed info and personal thoughts as I go so if you aren't into that, just look at the photos. hehehehehehe

First, the reference pic is the first one where I can see some good detail for once. So, I will start by giving a brief summary of what I plan to use for tools.

I use the Iwata HP-SB and Com Art photo grays with Golden Airbrush Medium and water for thinning the paint. I use a Porter-Cable compressor (4 gall. 3 HP) running at roughly 25 psi. I may decide after this to use 20 psi. Seems to help avoid the spidering effect on smoother, less absorbent supports such as the one I'm using which is Crescent Hi-Line #218.

I use the airbrush to add darker and darker layers and erase to achieve highlights. I erase with a refill pen type mostly and a Sakura electric eraser. I need to get some smaller, finer erasers but... haven't. Also, exacto knives are used to erase very thin lines and cut frisket and masks from drafting film. Colored pencils and graphite pencils are used to add detail in the final stages.

If I leave out anything or anyone has a question, let me know.

Here is the reference pic I am working from. I will crop my painting to have his head on the left so his hair meets the top edge which will give a better composition than just a head in the middle of the support.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-03-2004, 01:20 AM
The first step is to cut my support to size or perhaps larger so I have some bleed area to work with for whatever reason (one good one is that if you leave say 2 or 3 inches of support left over at the bottom, you can paint the important parts easily without being to close to the support rail at the bottom of the drafting table). This one will eventually be 18" x 22". Could be x 24" but would leave white above his hair and that I don't want.

I print a copy using my inkjet printer and project the image to size onto my support using a Super Prism opaque projector. Using a med gray colored pencil or regular pencil (either) I trace the major outlines (eye lids, irises, pupils, nostrils, lips, teeth, overall outline, clothes, fingers, etc.) and then i erase those lines until they are so light that I can barely see them at say 4 feet away. I've learned that the lines can be very faint - more than you would think - because your first pass will hold those shapes for the remainder of the painting and you don't want lines showing up in the final product.

I do not trace small items like wrinkles in lips, small highlights, etc. only major things that have to be right to get the likeness exact.

I decided to use frisket film to mask the background since the edges looked fairly hard around the fingers, etc. So, I cut some frisket and put it over the lines designating the background (negative space) and using an exacto knife, cut along the lines so that the background would be covered by the frisket.

This is basically getting ready to paint the first layer. Here is a pic of the frisket covering the support. One is showing me cutting it around the fingers and the other it is finished. The other parts at the top are pieces of tracing paper I'm using in place of frisket where the exact edge is not a necessity.

I have not made an effort to mask the hair in any detail because I will add black after removing the mask. I will do the hair, beard, mustach, eyebrows last before the final details.

Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-03-2004, 04:04 AM
hey tim,
great picture you got there...
and offcourse a great musician..hahaha
...oh yeah..:music:.excuse me...couse i kissed the sky... :music:

looking forward to your painting

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-03-2004, 10:07 PM
Thanks Henk! Scuze me while I kill dis guy! DOH! Yeah, misheard lyrics. hehehhe

Here is a pic of the progress. I am perhaps 40% done with the first layer (20% black). It looks quite anemic and lacking but that is because I am not done with layer 1 and also I will not do the hair until later. I had problems at this stage with spraying too darkly and clogging which caused some mistakes. Erasing can help but it isn't the same as doing it right the first time. I may be able to use light gray to correct these but I haven't tried it yet. Just erasing for now.

The finger edges will look a bit fuzzy til I remove the masking later.

Tim

ajlec2000
03-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Hey, Prof, good to see you posting this. The production details are a great touch. Its already looking good. Looking forward to more of it as it progresses.

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-04-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks, AJ.

I forgot to say that the dark spots on the pinky are the shadows the ring will make on the finger and it looks wrong now because the ring is masked. I wanted a clean edge and decided to use frisket instead of a handheld mask or no mask. The two black dots below the hand are from accidentally putting frisket on there that I got back out of the garbage can which had some black paint I spilled into the garbage can. I almost made a very bad boo boo! Fortunately, they were both below the margin where I will cut the final piece and no harm done. Whew.

I may also have to soften the edges of the fingers after removing the mask if they seem too hard. Won't know til I remove the frisket.

One more thing that is interesting to me. The warm/cool aspect of this 20% black photo gray seems to lean slightly toward warm (yellow/brownish) and therefore I am hoping I can avoid that bluish effect that occurs when you mix pure white with black. In other words, there should be (theoretically) no apparent shift toward warm or cool once ALL the values are present because these are neutral photo grays which have been pre-mixed by Medea to be neutral. More to come from this, my third portrait adventure!

Tim

kdkbrown
03-04-2004, 11:18 AM
ProfessorGreibowitz,

Jimi is looking good so far! Looking forward to seeing more!

Donna

Caterwallin'
03-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Timmo, this is going great! Looks good so far! I'm curious about how you are going to deal with some of those hard edges. Should not be too big a deal. I'm waiting to see more!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Donna and Sam,

Thanks!!!!

I will probably employ a pencil to soften finger edges because it's easier to control than airbrush for that kind of work, I think. A small amount of shading at the edge will soften enough so it doesn't look pasted on.

But that won't happen til I'm almost all done. I wonder if a white background is good enough. We'll see!

Thanks and I will post a new pic tonight with more expository narrative. hehehehehehhe

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi Tim!

It looks great so far! What really amazes me is that you use an eraser to lighten areas, instead of white paint! I've been airbrushing for 25 years and never heard of that before. But then again, I haven't done much "conferring" with other airbrush artists, until now! Keep up the good work---I'm looking forward to seeing your progression!

Maryl

visit my site @ www.airbrushedoriginals.com

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks Maryl!

Using white paint for highlights is okay except it has a tendancy to produce a blue color if sprayed over dark or very warm (orange, flesh tones, etc) colors so you just have to either erase to the support or color match (pain in the...).

Here is another pic or two.

I am almost done with layer 1 but there are some problems to correct and some more paint to be added.

I used a handheld mask on the lapel and it created a nice hard edge but it looks like it is paper thin. I will erase some there and also fix that small dark dot that looks out of place. The shirt, jacket and tie are now visible as are the shadows created by the fingers, chin, curves, etc. Face is still not done for layer 1. Will add more paint before going to about 40% gray.

The detail shows that the teeth are taking shape but I put a shadow under the ring finger where it meets the lip and that is wrong. It makes it look as if the lip isn't flush with the finger and there is space between. This is not in the pic. The lip actually is above the finger and no shadow should be there. I will correct that by simply erasing it! It'll give the lip some real depth. No highlights yet on the lip so it's a bit bland still.

Another "problem" is that some places are still a bit fuzzy. Gotta tighten them up eventually. Notice the electric eraser effect on the one tooth. Obviously, it's too harsh now but ... I'm not done! hehehehheheh

I will do SOME highlighting (erasing) before layer 2 to make it easier to keep the highlights bright.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-04-2004, 06:12 PM
P.S.

The chin area is really looking good to me. Very round and full of depth due to the good dark shadow below it. I'll post more as I progress this weekend!

Thanks for following along and learning as I learn!

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Hi Tim,

Those are some great close up pics! It's looking great! Now, tell me, what kind of "support" are you using? I never heard of the word before, but you must mean the surface you are painting on, right? Is it illustration board, masonite, or what? Maybe you already said, and I missed it--? And the "layers" you talk about----do you mean each time you put frisket on it? I am so used to painting freehand, without frisket or anything, that I have a hard time following you. Don't worry, you're doing a fantastic job, I'm just not used to painting this way! And I use urethanes, so it's a bit different....Sure am having fun watching your progress though! :clap:

Maryl

visit my website at www.airbrushedoriginals.com

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-05-2004, 02:35 AM
Hi Maryl!

Support means the surface I paint on. Easier than typing out illustration board each time! hehehe

I am using Crescent 218 illustration board but would be using 9208 except I didn't realize MisterArt had it and bought 218 instead. 9208 is smoother and thicker.

By layer I mean passes. I take a light gray (20% black) and render the whole painting with it (there are times when i don't render it all due to the fact it would be a waste of paint. Painting 20% gray in his hair would be senseless since I would need to totally cover it with the next layer of 40% black then black).

I paint from light to dark and save black and white and most details for last. I try to build up the detail some as I go but if you worry too much in pass/layer 1 with details you are wasting time. Although, it could be argued that rendering the entire thing with 20% then 40% is a waste but it seems to work okay. I really am not sure if i want to try working large to small and painting totally opaque where I don't erase the highlights and just paint over w/lighter gray. It's a technique Michael Astrachan used and it gave good results in a very short time. Time was the benefit. He did a T-shirt portrait of Captain Piccard (sp?) in about 2 hours. Full color and very realistic.

So, I'm just building up from light to dark and trying to correct things I see are wrong and keep from going too dark in places. One more "trick" is to go too dark where skin texture can be seen and then erase some in sort of a circle movement to a) get that pore-like texture and b) relighten it back to where it really looks on the whole.

It's a bit scary to go too dark because you think you are messing up. The whole process feels like a huge trust factor. My eyes keep telling me "This ain't happening." but my brain knows that it must look washed out and have little contrast during phase one so you can adjust as you go and not overshoot any area.

I am just learning how to do this really as this is my 3rd attempt at a portrait but I am getting more comfortable with the concepts and enjoying it!

Hope that all made sense!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-05-2004, 02:39 AM
P.S.

The time involved so far is probably about 6 hours. Funny though, the shirt, jacket and tie took about 30 min! I did not try to copy the patterns in the tie/jacket but simply their impression while maintaining the creases and shadows. Looks pretty close and no one will know I didn't sweat over each swirl. hehehehehhehe

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Tim!

Thanks for all the informative info! I will have to digest it for a while! I've never done a black and white portrait, but lots of people in color! Everything you do is so different than the way I would approach it, but I do work from the background forward, and from light to dark----except for putting in the hilites and details with white at the end, then toning them down a bit of course. I, too, would do the hair after the face is finished. Guess maybe I should do a step-by-step and show you the way I do things. ;) Sure is interesting watching you though, and it looks great---so you must be doing something right! :clap:

~Maryl

www.airbrushedoriginals.com

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Um, heheheheh it looks good mostly (and I know folks will say either I am self-deprecating or have false humility or other things) because I traced the outlines to get the likeness "perfect". Now that the landmarks are firmly in place, it will be hard to mess this up.

Please, feel free to post a wip and show us how you do your portraits. I love wips. When I saw Sam's wips on here the first time I said to myself, "Self? I think we just hit pay dirt!" I knew this would be a good place to hang and learn. Not saying others here haven't done great work or wips but Sam's was the first I saw. I learned a lot from the wips and some videos I bought. I can't practice a lot though since i work full time but I think I make up for it with effort and patience.

So, post! I haven't gone to your site yet. I will. I( don't have a site. :crying: Actually, I do but the college I teach at is so cheap I have to use my site for class stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the nice words and I'll be waiting for that wip of color portraits!!!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Maryl,

Your work is very nice! The pets look fantastic. You have me beat! I started airbrushing in earnest about 7 months ago and still have a ways to go before I feel as if I have something to say with art and the airbrush. I am in copy mode now trying to copy pics but that is how I like to do it. I'll do color sooomeday. I want to be good enough to do some good realistic stuff but I know I aint there yet. I got promise. hehehehehehe And... determination but... need to win the lottery. hehehh

Great work on your site! Your stuff has nice color and a polished look.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-06-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the compliment on my artwork! Yeah, I agree with you about Sam! I came across his website a few weeks ago, and was in awe of his work!! So, I e-mailed him and told him so, then he told me about WetCanvas!, and that's how I got on here. Anyway, you are doing great---I will keep checking in to see your progress!

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks Maryl.

I've done another... 1.5 to 2 hours (mostly stressing over a baaaad mistake near the left eye. I sprayed too dark (stupid airbrush hehehe) and then instead of letting it dry and erasing like someone with a brain would have done, I wiped the paint with my finger! man, it smeared and left a ring of dark around a light elliptical shape. sigh......... I sprayed over with light but there is a color in it now and not sure if I can fix.

Well, I went to 50% black and redrew everything that needed to be darker and couldn't wait to add hair! hahahahha so I added some hair and this is it so far. I am very frustrated though about the lack of control I am experiencing. Not sure what is happening. Anyway, I used an eraser to add some lip highlights and like a brainless imbecile (heheh) I used my ELECTRIC eraser on lips and it just stunk. Had to repaint and use pencil and waste time fixing it. It's better but not great.

Anyway...... here is a pic and mouth detail.

P.S. Notice the paint splatter near the nose and elsewhere in the detail. When I try to do reaaaally small areas with a dark color sometimes it spits little drops out instead of atomizing but I think I am asking too much from the brush and not opening the needle enough and so.... I'll have to fix those somehow.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Hi Tim,

Boy, you sure had a time of it! I sure sympathize with you, 'cause I've "been there, done that!", and it is comforting to know I'm not the only one who has problems!!! You did have me in stitches though, reading about your plight! But, to tell you the truth, you are probably the only one who can tell anything's wrong with your picture! I can see a black spec under the nose, but somehow it just looks like part of his complexion. (Just put more specs in and pretend it IS!!! haha) I know, I hate it when my airbrush spits! Those specs are so hard to fix! Can't you just erase it off? Anyway, I think it still looks great. I think you've stared at it way too long, like I do sometimes! Just keep going, you're doing fine! And the hair looks good so far!

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-06-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey, Maryl.

Thanks for the encouragement! I can't erase a small dot like the one under the nose but I can either exacto it off or paint with a small liner brush. I'll fix it before I'm done. Well, gonna paint a bit more. More to come.....

Tim

Caterwallin'
03-07-2004, 02:03 AM
Stop it you two!
Your embarrassing me!

Timmo, this looks great! That eye looks fine to me. I agree with Maryl, your being to hard on yourself!

keep it up! I'll be waiting for more!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 02:26 AM
hehehehehe I gotsta be hard on myself cuz no one else will! :evil:

Thanks, Sam! I did a bit more but still battling the dreaded color shift demon. Mostly I added some more details to the lips area with a pencil and some texture to the skin of the chin and jaw by erasing with a regular pencil eraser. Also added eyelashes and extended the left eyebrow to match the pic more. I will try to get the color out of the splotchy left eye region tomorrow but I won't really be able to erase there or it'll go back to the color so I'll just add some white if needed (AK!).

I will fix the splotch and then add a tad more dark to the face (too bright for me still) and then I'll add black to darken everything and get the hair looking better.

Just havin' fun. I used about 20 psi tonight instead of 30 and I think that helped some. So, I'll be staying at 20 from now on.

Tim

Caterwallin'
03-07-2004, 02:43 AM
I run my brushes at about 18 to 20 psi. They seem to work better at the lower psi. I jack the pressure up when I spray opaque paints or white.

On this photo I can see the area next to his eye that you were talking about. However, I think that will blend nicely when you add more "dark" to the face. That hair is fun isn't it? LOL!!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Yes! Curlies are fun w/airbrush. Here is a detail of the mouth and chin.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 03:00 AM
Welp, gotta hit the sack. I will try to do some more tomorrow and upload the ree sults. heheheh GAWD, Sam, I'm beat! heheheheheh

I'm happy so far with the results and if I can improve the splotch I'll be home free! When I add the very dark to it all it's gonna POP! Make the whites seem even whiter. Can't wait to pull the frisket off and see the brilliant white behind him. hehehehehhehehe or should I say....

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH! :evil:

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Hi Tim,

The eye you are referring to is the left eye, as we see it, but his right eye, right? If it were mine, I would hit it with a bit of transparent brown, to blend it a bit. I don't think I'd have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. Also, how are you getting your pics so LARGE?! We couldn't get my raccoon pic any larger---WC wouldn't let us go any bigger. Is there a secret I don't know? This was my first attempt.

Is there a reason your enlarged pic has a 2003 date on it? Is it just that your camera is set wrong? Just wondering......

Well, I must hit the tick! I'll check in tomorrow! Your painting is coming along great, Tim! :clap:

G'nite!

~Maryl

ABStan
03-07-2004, 04:38 AM
Hey Tim,

Been following your WIP with interest and must say it looks fantastic :clap: :clap: , the other guys are right, you are being too hard on yourself, we all do it... some worse than others. I just love the detail you have managed to get into the chin and mouth area. Was this built up with various paint layers and the eraser? Keep up the great work, I will keep my eye out for the finished product.

Stan

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 01:12 PM
Maryl and Stan,

Thanks again for the compliments. Maryl, my digital camera has the wrong date (always had since I bought it) and I can't figure out how to fix! Embarrassing for a computer teacher (LOL!) ehheheh So, I'm sure it throws people when they see an old date. Sorry!

As for picture upload sizes.... Your pic can be as large as 500 pixels across (horizontally) and 600 pixels down (hehehe vertically) and I usually just take way huge pics (like 1280 across) and then resample in Fireworks to exactly 500 x 600 OR whichever is greater. For horizontal pics, you can't get em as big. Vertical pics can be the biggest. So, just resample your digital pic in a paint package (like photoshop, fireworks, paint shop pro, etc.) to where the dimensions are up to 500 for the width and 600 for the height and DON'T do both! Just leave the box for constraining the dimensions checked and just set either the height to 600 or the width to 500 and the paint package will adjust the appropriate size for the other dimension. Usually, I get something like 450 x 600 for vertical.

Stan, I am painting with successively darker grays and I used a pencil eraser to acheive some of that texture on the chin PLUS a pencil to add some dark spots. Yes, multi-layer, light to dark, erase for lighter shades, regular #2 pencil for the very small dark areas such as between his teeth. I have more control with a pencil in very tight areas. So, I am not using the airbrush exclusively.

Well, here is a technique for doing skin. Once you get two layers of gray you can take a pencil and jab the skin at an angle so you get a small chunk of erasure and just keep jabbing in various part to give it some light spots. Or, another trick is to randomly spray in some dark spots using airbrush at super close range (swirly, circular motion and working the lever) and then if you have a soft enough eraser, use an electric eraser to add highlights on the light side of those dark spots. The dark spots could be totally random but the light needs to be adjacent to each dark spot to make it look like a bump. Another idea: just drag the eraser around in circles on the skin. I did all three on this one! hehehehe I wanted to get my money's worth.

Thanks, ya'll!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahhahahahah (wild, insane laugh is heard emmanating from 1004 Oakdale Dr.)

I finally figured out how to disable the date stamp on my digital camera! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The knob on the top I hardly use has a set region! heheh It's always the last place you look.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Well, I had some drama today. The white trash I live beside.. her doberman got out and bit a hole in my dog's leg and I had to take him to get glued together. I called the police and they took a report and not sure if the animal control took the dog away but the dog is now back in her backyard. She will be paying for the vet bill and I will have to drag her into court to do it because she is one of earth's heartless beasts.

So, I haven't got anything to post. A cousin and aunt came to visit my mom and dad this weekend and I took my 2nd portrait to show them. The thought it was good. I mentioned painting for a living and my dad just shook his head in disgust. Same with music. They think if you're not a policeman or fireman you don't have a real job. That's okay. One day I won't have to see their derision of my abilities.

Sorry for the emotional dump!

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-08-2004, 01:14 AM
That's okay, Tim, we all need to air out now and then! Sounds like you had a rough day!!! Get some sleep---you'll feel better tomorrow! Hope your dog's gonna be okay.

Boy, if we had to live off what I make as an artist, we'd have starved to death! Thank heavens my husband has a decent job! You know, I make good money when I have painting orders to do, but for me, they aren't an every day occurance! (I'd be burnt out if they were though!)

Get some rest!

~Maryl

Alan Cross
03-08-2004, 02:15 AM
Looking good great wip....
Alan :)

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Maryl and Alan,

Thanks for the encouragement. Solly boy will be fine. Just a big circular hole the size of a dime but the doc glued it together and gave some antibiotics. Well, if I could do one portrait in B&W in say.. 1 week working full time on it and I could get about $500 for one then I'd make $2000 a month and that is more than enough for me to live on since I have no wife/kids/bills to speak of except house and ins/food/gas.

So, considering all things I ain't quitting my day job tomorrow but i am thinking about trying this portrait idea. Many folks at school were asking about prices and I imagine some folk would feel that $500 is not unreasonable for a large portrait that looks nice.

Just thinking. My dang fingers are always threatening to blow up on me. Gotta force myself to quit using them when possible and that is another drawback. I was teaching guitar for a living ($30/hr) but fingertips went south. Now, I just teach computer stuff and dream of yesterday. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :crying:

Well, I'll post more next weekend. I'll enter this other portrait I did in an art show this Sat and watch as they give it honorable mention. The judges never like realism. heheheheheheh Ah, what's $10? But i really don't care. I just like doing it and that's that.

See ya!

Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-08-2004, 03:02 AM
hey tim,
glad to hear your dog will be ok...
i know...when there is something with my dog i don't paint at all...first i take care of my dog..
today is a sad day..it's exactly 2 years ago i had to say goodbye to my friend...
so tim take care of your dog...

henk

Maryl Lehman
03-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi Tim,

Glad your dog survived! Yeah, IF you could get enough orders to do one a week! For me, they come and go. November and December I had plenty of orders coming in, but now---Zilch! But sometimes I'm glad for the break---it gets the ol' creative juices flowing again! ;)

BTW, don't you have a hard time airbrushing, if your fingertips go numb? Just curious!

I hope your portrait places high in the Art Show!! You do so well! :clap: :clap:

Make it a great day!

~Maryl

hinddee29
03-09-2004, 03:26 PM
Many folks at school were asking about prices and I imagine some folk would feel that $500 is not unreasonable for a large portrait that looks nice.

Don't sell yourself short. Yes I think that's a fair price, but for a realistic
portrait of a pretty big size should bring you at least $1,000.

hinddee29

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-09-2004, 07:44 PM
Maryl,

If only they would go numb. They are hypersensitive. Like toting around a 3rd degree burn all day. That burned feeling comes and goes with use. I try to be careful but daily use keeps them in a state of perpetual .. um, afflictedness. hehehehhe I will someday seek a hand surgeon and see if a transplant can happen. Else, I could just cut them off and be just as happy. Yeah, been to 3 neurologists, web, etc. nothing matches what I have and no one seems to care. If I was rich they'd care. :rolleyes:

Anyway, try going just 1 day w/o using your thumbs, ring and index fingers. I've gone for about 3 years and sometimes they start feeling better and i use em more and then I'm back in the same boat.

Typing... I use my pinky knuckles most of the time.

Well, enough. Gettin depressed. hehehehehe

Hindee, I'd love to get $1000 for a portrait. Maybe someday.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Tim, that's horrible!!!! :( I can't even begin to imagine what you deal with!

Oh, if we could only make a thousand dollars for a portrait--- :clap: :clap: :clap: Maybe someday, when we are rich and famous! Of course, then we'd be making lots more than that! ;) Oh, well. It keeps us humble in the process!

Have you done any more on the portrait? I'm working on a tiger cub :cat: ----just ask Shane, he'll tell you all about what he's learned by watching me so far! EEKS! You know, all kinds of things happen when someone's watching you! :rolleyes: (sigh)

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-10-2004, 01:42 AM
Maryl,

I have only done some more erasing of highlights and some erasing in that gray/blue area by eye. Not enough to really post a pic.

I have been debating myself about whether to make this a more sketchy work (don't go past about 60% black) or go all da way. I really liked the gray but i have decided to stick with the original plan. So, I should be done for sure in 2 weeks but maybe this weekend if i can get in there enough.

Do you live near hindee29 (Shane)?

I'll post more when I can!

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-10-2004, 02:55 AM
Hi Tim! Yes, I live about 20 min. from Shane! I got to meet him yesterday---he's a super-nice guy! He watched me paint (or should I say, "make mistakes"!!) for several hours. It was fun getting to know him. He's also a very good artist! Great sketches! :clap: :clap: If he learns to airbrush like he can draw, he'll go far! He's planning to come over again Thursday to watch me finish up my tiger cub painting. Hopefully, I won't have as many problems this time! Oh, well. Live and learn! :rolleyes:

BTW, when you say, like, "60% black", just what do you mean? I haven't a clue! :confused:

~Maryl

Milo
03-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Maryl,

If only they would go numb. They are hypersensitive. Like toting around a 3rd degree burn all day. That burned feeling comes and goes with use. I try to be careful but daily use keeps them in a state of perpetual .. um, afflictedness. hehehehhe I will someday seek a hand surgeon and see if a transplant can happen. Else, I could just cut them off and be just as happy. Yeah, been to 3 neurologists, web, etc. nothing matches what I have and no one seems to care. If I was rich they'd care. :rolleyes:

Anyway, try going just 1 day w/o using your thumbs, ring and index fingers. I've gone for about 3 years and sometimes they start feeling better and i use em more and then I'm back in the same boat.

I know how you feel.. fought for a diagnosis for a very very long time, first neurologist told me I had the equivalent of carpal tunnel in both hands and legs... Did they run the gambit of tests or just some in office pokes? (MRI's head spine etc?) You can write me back directly or PM on here since its not art related :)

hinddee29
03-10-2004, 05:35 PM
he's a super-nice guy!

Don't tell everyone I have reputation to uphold :p . Yes it was great going
over to Maryl's house. What a great place to live. It was like walking into
my computer and into her profile here. I got to see everying well almost everything up close and personal. These pictures don't do her work justice.

Far as the problems she had with the cub. She did a great job fixing them.
Everyone make's mistakes. Just like all of us with are own work she is just
to hard on her self. I can't wait to get back over there.

Shane

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-10-2004, 10:02 PM
Maryl,

60% black means a gray paint that has a value of 60% black. Very dark but not true black. I have photo gray paint in values from 10%-60% and used these for the Hendrix painting. I am going to do more tonight and probably use 60% and then black to finish the darkest spots.

Tim

hinddee29
03-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Maryl,

60% black means a gray paint that has a value of 60% black. Very dark but not true black. I have photo gray paint in values from 10%-60% and used these for the Hendrix painting. I am going to do more tonight and probably use 60% and then black to finish the darkest spots.

Tim

Hi Tim that sound like a winner. I'm sure there is 100% black in there somewhere. I'm sure it is the same for painting, but for a pic to look real
needs to have all tones in it. I can't wait to see how it turn's out.

Shane

Maryl Lehman
03-11-2004, 01:23 AM
So, Tim, do you actually buy these shades of black/gray? Or do you mix them like that? I never heard of such a thing!

And Shane, you are all too kind, praising my work like that! ha. But thanks for not telling them just how bad a time I was having, messing up like I did! And for those of you who are wondering what in the world I did----the paint dripped from my airbrush bottle, right down onto my painting, leaving about a 3 1/2" run!!! :crying: What a nightmare! That was only ONE of the things I did wrong! :( Oh, well. Now Shane knows I'm not perfect! :p

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-11-2004, 02:06 AM
Maryl,

Yes, the photo grays are for photo retouching and they are graded at 10-60% plus a bottle of white and a bottle of black AND a bottle of warm additive and a bottle of cool additive. Me, I like being cool so i pour in a whole bottle of the cool additive. :rolleyes: hehehehehehe

Bout to post an update. Bout 2.5 hours more of doodling. eyes are getting blurry.....

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-11-2004, 02:16 AM
Well, another 2.5 hours and this is the result.

After adding his hair at only 60% black, I can now see that his upper face needs more mid gray tones to darken and smooth it out. Upon comparing the reference with the painting I can see many shapes that I didn't get exactly right and I don't know why other than not paying attention.

Also, his hair looks more like a loose jerry curl than a picked out fro. dang it.

Also, his right eye (lower lid) isn't like the pic and I'll have to do some fixin to make it look less... the cornea is too apparent or large. So, I may just try to bring lower lid up a tad and maybe darken cornea a tad.

Ah well.

So, my next thing to do is add some .... say 30 % gray in spots to give the face a deeper tone overall and then i will go hed (hehehe) and add black to the hair and eyebrows etc.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Hi Tim,

It looks fantastic!! Now, I am just seeing your painting and not the photo you're going by, so I can't tell how exact it is. That's the problem with doing portraits----they have to be almost an exact likeness, which is a real pain sometimes! If it were just a "person" nobody knows, who cares how close it is?! But it looks great to me! Looks like he could just jump right out of there and talk! Keep us posted! :clap:

Okay, the photo retouching paints you use, make more sense to me now! Phew! The warm and cool additives are kind of odd though. What are they exactly? (I know you were joking when you said you just pour in the whole bottle of cool!) I used to think I wanted to get into doing photo retouching. I bought a book, years ago, and never could understand what the terms they used, meant! Now you see why! ;) I have retouched photos a few times, but not professionally!

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Maryl,

Thanks. I bought the photo gray kit to see if it would alleviate the problem of color shift when you spray a white or mixture of white and black on top of a darker color but I don't think it is doing the job.

My next experiment is probably to use Com Art transparent smoke instead of opaque grays and see if I can get good results with that. One paint instead of 8 or so.

I've never done photo retouching at all so you are ahead of me there. I just thought they'd correct the color shift of putting a lighter gray on a darker one.

Anyway, there are many places in my Jimi that are painfully off. I thought I had traced it so that I'd have a very accurate likeness and somehow it is not. Now, to average Joe, it probably looks exact especially without a ref to compare with but I am doing this for me. Don't get me wrong, I am way happy so far with the results considering how many portraits I've done but I want to understand why my lines seem off in places. Did I trace it wrong or did I paint it wrong????

Well, it's going to be good when I get the values down (up?) to black and I will put a purple double mat on it and frame it nicely and use as a demo of what I can do with a ref pic.

Maybe I'll finish this weekend! Thanks for everyone's patience! I don't paint very quickly and mostly on the weekend.

Tim

hinddee29
03-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Hey Tim, He's comming out great. Far as the lines not lining up. Did you notice
this before you started painting? I have notice that with mine that if I don't
let the ref. pic sit there and heat up it will move on you. Many times I'd put the pic under the projector and turn out the lights and go at it. Then when I'm almost done I look back at something I did earlier and it is all off. So after
beating my head against the wall a coulpe of times I thought well may be heat makes the pic curl up or lay more flat. So that has fixed it for me I let it site for about 5min. or so. I have also heard that if everything isn't strait, level, plumb or what ever you want to call it, will make it not line up right.
Well that's all I can give ya.

Shane

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-11-2004, 10:55 PM
hindee29,

I level the projector and use paper printouts to project so I don't get any noticable bend or shift of the paper. The projector has a metal piece to hold the paper in place. I think I might have just drawn it slightly off. Not sure. Well, there's always next time!

Man, go back and compare the first pic where i had his shirt done and his chin looks right as far as size/shape. look at the last one i uploaded and it's different. it doesn't look as big and the angle between it and the jaw is not as pronounced. I compared them and am at a loss for how i did that. I can correct some tho.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Added some more darks. Getting there. Might be done this weekend.

Tim

Leaflin
03-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Tim.....I finally got the time to read this whole thread.
This piece is fantastic!
I have enjoyed seeing your progress, and learning as you lead the way.
Thanks for a great WIP!

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Leaflin,

Thanks for the great compliment! I have had fun doing this and although i've had many small mistakes, it's really taking shape. I think I'm ready to do the pinky ring next and then remove the masking tape! That is always fun. Then I'll finish the hair and then I'll be 99% done.

Here's a new pic. I've darkened more areas in an attempt to get more contrast and skin tones in the upper part of the face. It was a tad washed out for me. Also, I darkened and erased the lips some too with my new erasers!!!! I got the eraser sticks and pen in today and the sticks are really good. can sharpen like a pencil and is pretty gritty (erases the paint easily which is what I wanted). the pen has a smooth eraser and not very great but it is okay for erasing a little at a time.

More to come.

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-13-2004, 01:38 AM
Hi Tim! The eraser sticks sound just like the old typing erasers we used to use! You sharpen them in a pencil sharpener, and they were gritty, too. They probably just put some fancy name on them nowadays! :p

Your picture is looking great! You should put your WIP in the new forum they have now in the new Airbrush Gallery. I think it just started today. Check it out! I think Leaflin started it. It's going to be a great thing!!! :clap: :D :clap: :D :clap:

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Hmmm not sure what you mean but I'll check it out when I quit painting.

Um, I pulled the mask off the ring area and painted the ring. I did it in like 15 minutes and it isn't perfect but it looks okay. Did the cigarette body and now I'm ready (shivers with dread) to pull the background mask off.

Here's the ring and cig.

Don't laugh at the ring detail. It's pretty lame up close.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-13-2004, 02:35 AM
The mask is off!

So, the middle finger is irregular on the bottom and I guess I thought it'd be okay when cutting it w/razor. Should have not tried to put too many squiggles in. Now it looks bad.

Anyway, I'm tired of painting and my eyes be blurrin'. Should have worn my glasses.

Well, it looks good but the hand looks like a pasted on photo. Not enough contrast or details yet. Cig fire ain't there yet. Hair will be pulled out more.

Soon....

Too bad I can't be done by tomorrow at about 1pm. Art show here in town. hehehehehe oh well. Story of my life.

Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-13-2004, 03:18 AM
hey tim...im getting jelous here..hahahahahaha,...
this ig getting great...what are you going to do with the background?..

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-13-2004, 03:33 AM
Henk,

I was just about to post and ask everyone if the white background worked or should I add some kind of background? I need to soften the finger edges and add more dark and details to the hand first and see how that looks.

Anyway, would a background help this? If so, what??? hehe

Gone to bed....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks Henk, ma man! Don't be jealous. I'm just sort of picky and I sweat the details until I think it's aaaaalmost perfect. hehehehhe Anyway, you do nice work so don't be self-deprecating! hehehehe

I still think about Cliff a lot. You captured the moment!!!!

Tim

Caterwallin'
03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Timmo, this is looking sooooooo good!

After you finish softening those fingers and I can't quite grasp how your going to finish up the bottom, and I don't think it will need a background!

Sam

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks Sam!

I am going to place the illustration board in my matte cutter and cut off that space at the bottom and a little at the top. This is my new technique so I don't have to paint to the bottom and struggle with the drafting table lip and also since it is about as thick as a matte board i can always crop it in any fashion I choose! ahhahahahahaah Can't do that with a canvas.

So, I will soften the harsh edges (erasing doesn't appear to be working very well so I may have to airbrush around them) and do the hair, add more details and then crop it to 18" x 22" and see how it looks. Hope to have that done by tomorrow.

Thanks again!

I'd like to do a pirate with full color one day. Kind of like that first attempt I did using the Fredrickson video but with a cool background. Man, if I could only draw I'd be in binness!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-14-2004, 05:07 AM
Well, I would have posted a new pic but this lady who lives next to me had me arrested for harassing her! I called the police because her dogs wake me up every night (3 years, I'd call that pretty patient) and she tells them about this warrant she created and they haul me off to jail. So, I'm just getting home. Never thought I'd be in jail with a drunk, snoring Mexican. I'd do a LOL but it really isn't funny.

What IS funny is that she is only making her life harder by doing this. I will present a litany of offenses by her since she's moved in including her Doberman getting out and biting my dog, her breaking my privacy fence with a huge pile of firewood, and on and on....etc. etc. etc. and I will make her pay the vet bill AND I will pursue a false arrest penalty and loss of wages.

It's a sad day when anyone can just have anyone arrested but the lack of evidence for her and some evidence for me will hopefully allow them to see through her lies.

I took some pics when she broke the fence AND when one of her dogs was in my garage and there is a police report on file when her Doberman attacked my dog. And I'm harassing her? She is really brainless and heartless so does that make her not human?

I wouldn't be surprised if she ever tried to kill/poison my dog or have someone steal it BUT too bad for her he's never outside when I'm not there. hehehe

I'd use a lot of profanity at this point but you can probably fill it in yourself. Court Monday I guess. It's going to be SWEET when she has to pay up for the vet bill.

Tim

hinddee29
03-14-2004, 09:37 AM
Tim that is just crazy. She sounds like someone that needs some help.
I have a nut case that live one house down from me also. It hasn't got this bad yet, but the cops have been here. Good luck with court.
Yes far as a woman having a man arrested with the lack of evidence as you called it. When I was in the Army all a woman would have to say is he hit me
or something like that. With no more questions that guy would be in jail.
So yes it is scary that you can just make some thing up.

Shane

HF AIRBRUSH
03-14-2004, 02:36 PM
hey hombre...you robe a bank?...hahahaha...sorry tim...i justy have to make this joke...hahaha....

well next time call the police about the dog...let them visit this lady..

and we got that kind of people here too...my neighbour had called the police and the autorities...and they visit the street because i would take to much parkingspace with my car...hahaha...two police men and two man of the city were here to look at my car and the parkingspace...hahaha

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Henk, I have called the police on numerous occasions for her trash blowing into my yard, leaving broken glass in the sidewalk part of her yard NEAR my yard, dogs barking all hours of the night, ad nauseum, and this is why she is retaliating. I have acted responsibly to her nuisances and she is filled with hate. It will all come out in court. I took some more pics of her back yard today. It is strewn with all types of crap and junk.

Thanks for the humor and maybe when I move from this house I'll be able to laugh about it! I'll have to go out with my dog in the backyard now from fear she'll throw over some poisoned food. She has more than one screw loose and the day I move will be the day I get relief from her instanity. Police, mayor, animal control, .... they all point fingers at each other and claim it's a civil matter. Fine. I will prosecute her to the fullest and when my time comes, I'll just move. there really is little justice in life.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I have added more hair and my arm almost fell off from doing squigglies for an hour! I wanted a lot of individual hairs so I had to crank down the lever and get really close to the board and just add them.

The cig ashes are now visible and overall, it's prob 97.3802 % done (hehehehhehehe).

I have to add more hair, add highlights to it in the dark areas, add highlights to the eyelashes and right eyebrow, then I'll be pretty much done. I keep having clogging problems when using opaques and fine detail work. Causes bad things to happen on the painting. But I just had to live with some splotches and go forward.

I won't finish tonight due to this arrest/legal issue but by next weekend I will be done.

Thanks!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Added more hair, fine tuned some areas, darkened shadow under nose and jaw, lightened scarf light parts, added a few more details to fingers and cropped it the way I will in real life when I am done.

I'm still not done. I experimented in the hair w/electric eraser and really didn't like the results so I'll try either colored pencil or razor. I have highlights in eyelashes and brow on the right but not really visible in the pic.

Not done yet but thought I'd post anyway. heheheh

Thanks,
Tim

Alan Cross
03-16-2004, 02:13 AM
Looks great.....I am in awe. You have way more consintration then me!

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-16-2004, 02:31 AM
Alan,

Thanks! That pic is a tad fuzzy. I must have moved when I took it or something. If you saw the real one, you'd see many problem areas and I guess that's okay for the # of these I've done but the deal is that if i mess up, i can't seem to erase and correct. erasing always leaves some kind of texture. But I don't want to spray a lighter tone onto a darker one cuz that makes it look blue. So, I don't know how the real people do it. Maybe the trick is... never make any mistakes.

Well, I may leave the top of his hair in the painting after all. Kinda like all that frizzy stuff up there. Looks more like Hendrix. It's gonna make an odd size, though. 18" x 25.5"!

Well, I'll be done next weekend and glad of it! heheheheheh My wips are too long and drawn out. People don't care about every little detail I encounter. They want to see real progress!

It's pretty much done except for more hair details. I'll use two purple mattes when I frame it and I wonder if a white fram would look cool? I am not great at framing. Never sure what colors to use. I thought purple would look good AND be a reference to Purple Haze (obviously). Hendrix did Prince before Prince did. hehehehehe

Thanks,
Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-16-2004, 03:18 AM
hey tim looks great...love jimmy and love your painting of him...
i wunder how you did the hair.....

and the background...well you don't need a background but sins the original pic has a background i thought you would do something with it....

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Henk,

I used the airbrush for the hair and will add a few stray hairs with a pencil. I'll add some highlights probably with a colored pencil. The erasers and razors probably won't do what I want there.

I'll probably leave no background on it. Well, thanks!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Sorry for the brief reply but this arrest fiasco has me calling lawyers and such. Hopefully, this little joke will be over soon. Sorry for wastin yer time with it!!!!!

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 03:57 AM
This is my final post on this WIP. Just did a few things to the chin (more bumps near left) and darkened under the chin (perhaps too dark... I'll prob lighten it but won't post any more) and added more wisps of hair and darkened the jacket at the left.

Well, I'm done. I can't get the hair in the middle (the black section) to look like light is hitting tufts of hair so I'll prob leave it alone. The blurry part at the top is just my florescent lights hitting it.

I'm really happy with this one and it looks better in real life. I've found out that my camera doesn't seem to capture the subtle grays but maybe it's just the setting I'm using. Well, thanks for following and I hope i didn't bore you to death. Seems it started fast (I saved some pics b4 starting) but drug out long at the end. oh well.

Comments/critiques welcome.

Thanks,
Tim

Alan Cross
03-20-2004, 03:59 AM
NOthing for me to Crit Tim I think its a great peice of work....fun to tag along...

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Alan! I wish I could snap a better pic of it. It's going to look nice after I coat it with several clear coats to equalize the discrepancies between some shiny pencil marks and other shiny spots. I'm still going to see if I like a double matte on it. Purple, of course. weeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks,
Tim

HF AIRBRUSH
03-20-2004, 03:52 PM
hey tim...well maybe you should soften the edge from the hand a little...and i miss the smoke from his joint?...
great work tim... :clap:

henk

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
hmmmmm

To smoke or not to smoke....

I thought I'd leave off the smoke since it'd be mostly white anyway and with a white background it wouldn't show up very well.

Not sure...... I could add a very light shadowy swirl. arggggggggggggg.

The hands.... I may just leave em. I don't like anything I've tried and I have this knack for messing up a painting at the end. hehehehehhehe

I wish I could blur the edges just a bit in a way that looked nice but I am afraid to try airbrushing around them.

I may just wimp out and keep what I have instead of going for what's behind door # 3. hehehehhehheheh

But I agree that a small amount of blurring at the edge would be an improvement. I'm just skeerd. hehehehhe

Well.... in my photo ref I can't see any smoke so..... maybe I'll leave it w/o smoke? But smoke would be cooler! dang it, henk. Maybe I'll add a layer of clear and then try to blur and smoke? That way, if i hate it... wet towel and wipe! it's gone! hahahahha Com Art is like that.

Thanks!!!

Tim

ajlec2000
03-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Well, what a fantastic finished product. Don't fool yourself about whether or not we want to know the details of your technique, because we want to know. Its been a learning experience watching it develop.

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi, AJ!

Thanks for the nice words. I am still trying to learn what my technique is! hyehee

I am going to do one of my mom's mom. I'd say grandmother but she died long before I came on the scene. I really never knew her or my dad's father since they both died b4 I was born. My mom's dad died when I was maybe 10 or.. 8? I don't know. I was never close to my dad's mom so I have never had a relationship with "grandparents" as a kid that everyone seems to talk about. I do remember my mom's dad and going to his farm in Mississippi and eating fresh watermelon outside in the summer and pouring salt on it and eating homemade ice cream. He would sometimes get on his hands and knees and act like he was after me in the house. I recall it was a pretty scary ordeal. He was so bald and as a young kid of say 8 you get excited/scared etc. easily. But he died of some cancer in his 70s. My dad's mom lived to about 94 tho.

So, I am painting my mom's mom to match her dad and they'll both hang in the hallway. :)

Tim

hinddee29
03-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Tim,

Jimmy came out outstanding. Very good job. I can't wait to get to the level
you are at. I have one question for you. A while back you where thinking
about to use just 60% black or to add 100% black in some place's. Did
you us any or is this still the 60%. I'm just wondering. I can't wait to see
how your Mom's Mom come out.

Shane

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-21-2004, 12:35 AM
Hi, hinddee29,

I used the 60% black to finish shading but went to 100% black for the hair, pupils, jacket, shadow under chin although I didn't necessarily allow it to totally cover it (so, I USED 100% opaque black in the brush but layered it on until i got the darkness I felt was dark enough).

Well, no more wips for a while. So many things happening. I will post my mom's mom when done though. Maybe a few weeks.

Thanks for the compliments and you could experience a jump in ability like I did if you watch a few people who are really good. If you can't attend a workshop or such, you can order a couple of videos. Watching Cacy and Fredrickson really helped me in several ways and in my opinion, it was well worth the $80 or so.

I don't want to sound negative but remember that i did not draw the painting freehand and so the likeness was 90% there at the start since I used a projector. I'm not saying I cheated but it would be cool if I could have drawn it as well. But doing it this way can be a learning phase and allow me to see how faces are and eventually learn how to draw them on my own. I really respect people who can draw really well.

Thanks again and post some more of your stuff when you can.

Question: Do those 3M respirators (half mask) keep out all vapors or just certain ones? I want one when spraying the Krylon crystal clear which has ketones and toluene and who knows what else. Someone mentioned a 7000 model. I saw another 3M one for about $40. Need one asap.

Thanks,
Tim

hinddee29
03-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Hey Tim,

Don't feel using a projector is cheating because it's not. It is just a tool to speed things up. I know what you mean about finding a good airbrusher to watch. I found one(Maryl) she might not agree with me but she is awesome.
I've only been over there a couple of time to watch her and I do think it help
with what I did. She is going to have a hard time getting rid of me. :) A long
with everything else I do in a day I just need to set a time for me to just Ab
or I'm not going to get any better.

Yes the half face will work just fine with what ever you are going to spray.
Two major thing to make sure it work like it is suppost to.
1. Make sure you have the right filters for what you are spraying. You can go to any paint store and tell them what your spraying and they will hook you up.
2. No facial hair around where the mask seals to your face. The mask wont
do you any good. Have ever wondered why people in the military have to save every day? Well that's one of the big reasons there protective mask
(Gas mask) wont seal right.
I'd get anyone made by 3m from what I hear they are the best.

Shane

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Yes, Maryl does some nice stuff. Leach every trick she knows and get your money's worth!!!!! hahahahha

Well, I'll snoop around on the web and ask some merchants and see if I can get a consensus on what will do the trick for the Krylon clear.

Thanks and I guess my beard will have to go. There goes half of my charisma. hehehehhehehe :eek:

Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-22-2004, 02:00 AM
All right, Tim and Shane-----Thanks for the flattery, but you are being all too kind! I do enjoy having Shane around----he's a good guy! And his picture of the blue transformer guy (his name has slipped my mind at the moment!) that he airbrushed is pretty good! I got to see it up close and personal! Not bad at all for not having airbrushed in several years!

As for the mask; I have one (actually, two!) that have the two filters on the front, with the elastic straps that go around the back of your head. You're suppose to replace the filters after so many hours of use. You should be able to buy one at your local automotive paint store. It's been years since I bought mine, so I couldn't tell you the price!

I have an opaque projector that I use faithfully---I'd be lost w/o that thing! I can draw, and most of the time I will draw a small sketch to the scale I want it to be, then put it in my projector and blow it up to size. It's just a real time saver!!!

~Maryl

kdkbrown
03-22-2004, 10:45 AM
ProfessorGreibowitz

Execellent job one this piece.

Donna

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-22-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Donna! I think this one improved over my last one a bit. I think mostly it is due to a better reference picture. I could actually see some details in the face.

Tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-26-2004, 04:34 PM
Not trying to resurrect this but I am FINALLY REALLY done and I took a better pic of it and thought I'd post here and I'll put it in this other gallery that is out there somewhere! I may need someone to help me find it.

So, here is the final FINAL pic and you can, if you squint hard enough, see smoke coming from his cigarette. heheheeheh

Thanks for everyone's patience on this one. Still learning.
Tim

Maryl Lehman
03-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Fantastic job, Tim!!! :clap: :clap: I can imagine smoke going up, but I don't really think I can actually see it! Must be my eyes going bad or something! haha

~Maryl

ProfessorGreibowitz
03-27-2004, 05:49 AM
It's a faint gray curve going up from the tip.

Thanks!!!!

Tim

Mark_xiii
04-01-2004, 04:20 AM
Your 3rd portrait? I'm impressed! I'm a sucker for images of icons and Hendrix to me is the holy grail of iconic images. I've always admired airbrushed works, probably because it's so alien to me, I wouldn't know where to start, so your step-by-step posting is VERY helpful to me. Keep up the good work! One question though (out of about a thousand I can think of), I've seen 'budget' airbruses around and have always been wary of them, Is it worth practising with a cheapo one or should I just jump in head first and get a 'respectable' set-up? Is there much difference between them from a 1st timer perspective (apart from cost obviously)?

Penny220
04-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Starting out with a cheap airbrush will only cause frustration and force you to put the airbrush down and never pick it up again. They are made for and marketed to crafters, they are basically disposable and were never made for art (regardless of what the box says)

There is alot of quality basic airbrushes. I've seen them range in price from $30 on sale to $80 regular price. Starter sets of paint range will run around $40 for a basic set of 1oz bottles high quality paint. Then there is the compressor, you might have one already, so you would only need a watertrap to go with it.

Comparing a "hobby airbrush" to a quality airbrush is like saying that a frosted window decal is "etched glass" By appearance it is but the fact remains, it's just a sticker.

ProfessorGreibowitz
04-01-2004, 02:26 PM
Hello, Mark_xiii,

Welcome to WC and this forum. Thanks for the compliment! Penny made a good point when she expressed the fact that you can become frustrated early if you get an airbrush that is low quality. Sam Houchin has written a good article on just this topic here in the AB forum and here is the link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/25825/428/

I have owned a Vega 2000 brush which was decent for crafts and t-shirt art but I also used Createx during that time (years of not painting but maybe once every 6 months) and the results were okay but when I switched to an Iwata HP-SB and Com Art (and Golden) paint, the difference was amazing. I just started using quality equipment about 4 months ago and it has made a huge difference in the quality of my results.

I haven't tried any other brands but for now I swear by my Iwata and would love to pick up a Custom Micron but the HP-SB is sufficient for me now and I have no complaint with it.

The idea is this: buy the best you can reasonably afford and you'll be happier in the long run. If you aren't yet sure whether airbrushing is for you, then buy a good cheap airbrush (ebay?) and a kit of either Golden airbrush colors or ComArt and play with them! For less than $50 you can get those and a cheap compressor (if you get a piston type w/o a tank, you won't get smooth results - pulsing can be seen in the lines you paint - BUT it may be a start to see if you like it).

Check out Sam's article and then check out some Iwatas! :D hehehehehehhehe

Others here may have some brand name/model suggestions as well.

Good luck!

Tim

Maryl Lehman
04-01-2004, 03:20 PM
Hi Mark! Welcome to WetCanvas! I have used Paasche airbrushes for over 25 years and love them! I use the VL ,and the V for finer detail. They are siphon fed, double action airbrushes. I have airbrushed a lot of vehicles/motorcycles in my time, and that's what I started out doing. Now, I mainly paint on canvas and hardboard or primed wood surfaces, and sometimes paint wall murals, but still paint bikes now and then. I paint with urethanes. But I love my Paasche's---they are very versatile. I just wonder if anyone on WC uses them and can compare them with other airbrushes they use. I wouldn't want a gravity fed airbrush for what I do---I use too much paint for that. But I don't feel I get that much overspray with my Paasche's. Most of the time I don't even mask off backgrounds and such, to keep them from overspray.

Happy shopping! :)

~Maryl

Mark_xiii
04-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Thanks to you all for the info. Airbrushing has always interested me, so it's good to get some tips on where to start. I think my first step has to be to save some $$... It's a very expensive outlay but I think I'm gonna enjoy it so I'll keep my eyes on ebay. (ebay does 'wife-sized' ear defenders too, right? She isn't going to like that compressor...). :music: lemme stand next to your fiiiire :music:

HF AIRBRUSH
04-02-2004, 06:27 AM
hey mark,
welcome on this forum...i see your looking for a airbrush...well i see your in england...i would try to get a evolution...i promise you won't be sorry...this airbrush works great and i think it's much better then the iwata or paasche...
it's to bad you guy's in america can't buy this airbrush...it's really great..

henk

Penny220
04-02-2004, 06:47 AM
When you ebay be sure to buy new and not used. Also, when buying an airbrush be sure you can get the parts (needles/nozzles, etc) where you live. It wouldn't do you any good to have an airbrush and not be able to buy the parts later on.

Compressors: not all compressors are noisy and the ones that are can be quieted easily.

Mark_xiii
04-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks again for the tips! Plenty to consider while I save up the money...