PDA

View Full Version : wax oil painting medium

Seth_Franks
08-22-2001, 07:26 PM
I have started experementing with wax medium.I melt down the wax and add turpentine while it is still a liquid.I like the fact that it dries quickly and will not affect the color of my paints.I was wondering if anybody could tell me if there are any problums that may come for using this medium?

paintfool
08-23-2001, 01:16 AM
Hi Seth, welcome to WC! I'd like to understand your technique a bit more clearly. Are you using oil paint? Are you mixing the color into the wax?. Encaustics is a wax based medium but i'm not sure if that's exactly what you are doing. Can you elaborate a bit? Thanks.
Cheryl

sassybird
08-23-2001, 02:52 PM
Hi Seth, could you post an example of your work. Is it that you are overlaying the wax/turpentine mix over the oils to give your piece more depth or a layered look? I have done this with other mediums, and have worked with wax before, but not in the manner you describe. I would like to learn more about it also.

Leaflin
08-23-2001, 03:43 PM
Hi Seth
Welcome to WetCanvas and the alternative mediums forum.
I am very interested also. :)

Seth_Franks
08-23-2001, 08:13 PM
I have been adding it to my oil paint colors on my palette and then paint with that.I wanted to find a medium to use that would give me a more smoother consentancy.I tried Linsd oil but It dries to slow and if I add driers I am afraid that it will yellow my colors.I have just started useing this medium on the piece I am working on know so I dont have anything to show.Thanks fo all the help