PDA

View Full Version : Painting Gold

frankcote
08-22-2001, 03:16 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to paint a metal mirror / brush set of my wife's that is very pretty by is really starting to bug me. The surface is not pure gold. The color is between gold and brass and the surface is brushed lengthwise. It also has a stamped pattern on the back that is smooth and reflective. I'm not worried about the stamped pattern. It is the brushed surface that has me stuck.
When I finally match the colors of the reflective surface (which is damn near impossible) the sheen off of the brushed surface throws me off.
I think it is the brushed surface that is screwing me up. I can see the sheen but I can't reproduce it. It comes out looking like yellow gold wood.
I'm about ready to just try to paint it like a hard shiny surface and move on.
Have any of you tried to paint such a surface? I've read the guides on this forum and in a few manuals but I haven't found anything quite like this.

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Midwest Painter
08-22-2001, 04:10 PM
Not seeing the surface I can only give you my concept. I would start with Cadmium Yellow - Light, Burnt Sienna, and a touch of Ultramarine Blue. Be sure to note reflected color from the surrounding materials, then nail the gold color with the highlights in Cadmium Yellow - Light and White.

TPS
08-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Find a copy of the book "Creative Color" by Faber Birren
ISBN# 0-442-29786-7

It covers such issues as Luster, Iridesence, Luminosity, Transparency, etc. These affects depend not only on the color of the object in question, but also the surrounding shapes and sometimes the overall canvas. It has great lessons on how to control the type of affect desired.

Of course it covers many of the other issues related to use of color. A great text for those interested in learning about color and how to achieve certain results.

frankcote
08-29-2001, 10:18 AM
Thanks TPS,
I'll track down that book. I think it is something in the reflected luster that has me hung up. I don't think it is the color. I've had my palate covered with yellows and browns that are just a hair off. Something I can't put my finger on.

I'll let you know.

Frank