PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Month #3 - March

Zarathustra
02-28-2004, 01:52 PM
With our Swedish comrade currently indisposed, I have been handed the honours of introducing March's MOM project (yes, we’re just heading into the third month of the year, now isn't that a scary thought!).
This month is the turn of German Romantic, Caspar David Fredrich, and his painting "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" (though it also goes by other names).

Matt has kindly left us with the following information:

Master Of the Month - MARCH

Caspar David Friedrich

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/15549-self_portrait.jpg

Caspar David Friedrich, 1744-1840
This German romantic painter was one of the greatest exponents in European art of the symbolic landscape. He studied at the Academy in Copenhagen, and subsequently settled in Dresden, often traveling to other parts of Germany. Friedrich's land-scapes are based entirely on those of northern Germany and are beautiful renderings of trees, hills, harbors, morning mists, and other light effects based on a close observation of nature.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/15549-The_Wanderer.jpg

The Wanderer" Oil on canvas 1818, 94x75 cm (37,5x30")
The painting is also known as "The Pilgrim above Mist".
This piece illustrates the sublime, associated with dimensions of greatness and founded on awe and terror. These, too, are central to English romanticism. Friedrich always had a hidden meaning in his works, sometimes revealed in texts he wrote to go with his paintings, and sometimes only passed on via conversations with his friends.
As for his technique, I personally think he painted in a direct manner, without the use of extended glazes and under paintings (although glazes not completely avoided). A pale orange toning would be suitable for this gray/blue painting.
Friedrich's cold, acid colors, clear lighting, and sharp contours heighten the feeling of melancholy, isolation, and human powerlessness against the ominous forces of nature expressed in his paintings.

Click here for high-res image (http://user.tninet.se/~zju432s/MOM%20march.htm)

Artists in same category: J. Constable, F. Delacroix, F.de Goya

Although I am a fan of Caspar's work, I do not possess a great deal of knowledge about the painter, though I would like to add a few notes.

Caspar was not a plein aire painter, instead he worked solely from the studio as far as we know, though he studied the north German landscape in great detail. His work is allegorical, and described as romantic mysticism. I would imagine his work’s rather forlorn and existential drama traces a path back to Caspar's childhood having lost a brother when he was 13 - tragically he died saving Caspar when he fell through a sheet of ice. A few years earlier he had lost his mother, and within another decade his sister had also died.

For anybody who has visited a gallery, and then observed the same piece of work in a book or on the Internet, reproductions are inevitably a let down. My experience of the Anders Zorn MOM project was that there were a great number of sources available, each one with a variant colour scheme. “Wanderer Above the Sea of Mist” is no exception - if you visit http://www.visipix.com and search for "Caspar David Fredrich", there are two hi-res versions of the same painting in two different colour schemes making it impossible to recommend a palette. Exaggerating the colours and levels on one version, it is possible to see a lot more detail in areas such as the rock and figure than is initially apparent. It would also appear that the figure wears a subtly green coloured garment, contrasted against the redness of the rocks (see attachment).

I hope you are all going to join in and participate with this month’s project, and let’s face it, if you were there for February’s Caravaggio, this ought to be a relative stroll in the park! :) ;)

To view a video clip on Caspar, check out this website.
http://www.roland-collection.com/rolandcollection/section/10/347.htm

Zarathustra
02-28-2004, 01:55 PM
If I can just monopolise the thread for a moment longer, I started an underpainting a couple of days ago, as I was eager to try my new paints and brushes, and was aware that they will not dry as quickly as the alkyds. :D Some of it is a little incomplete as the sky and mist will probably cover it up anyway – it’s a scaled down 22” by 15”, on cotton canvas using Rembrandt transparent oxide red and some Robert Simmond signet flat brushes.
I also made a smaller charcoal and white pastel study a couple of weeks ago.

guillot
02-28-2004, 02:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Great start already for the month of March Gavin. Thank you again, so much, for helping out :)

Lots of brighter colors in the image you attached up there!! :clap:

I hope this one is a "relative stroll in the park" :D Still getting past the Carravagio - but I'm so looking forward to this one!!

I'm going to let this float around the forum for today, and I'll place a sticky on it tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Tina

dcorc
02-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Hi Gavin, Tina (and all)

Looking forward to this ( I'm still doing some work on the Feb painting, but good to start on this one!).

I see you're getting ahead a bit with the underpainting, Gavin, like I did for Feb. Hopefully we'll recruit the regulars for this month, plus a few more (Come on folks, join in, it's fun)!

So do we have to grow the facial hair http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/30792-caspavatar.jpg to get in the spirit for this one then? :D

Dave

artbabe21
02-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for taking this one on Gavin! I am afraid I might miss this one as well for I leave for CA again in another week & a half. By the time I return I'll be painting for our local MIA show in May & have to get with it as my life doesn't seem to be my own anymore! :crying:

I really think this months is going to be a fabulous one to learn from...love the perspective as he looks our over the vista into the mist...:)

Zarathustra
02-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Trust me Tina, it'll be just fine - Caspar very kindly gave us the back of a head to paint, compared to Baccus, that's got to be a doddle hasn't it? :D

Greetings Dave, and no worries - it's master of the month and not master in a month thank goodness! I've still got the Zorn to work on! :D You're a good sport, I don't think you've missed a project yet? lol, what facial hair it is! I remember a friend who was so hairy he grew his side burns right down his neck connecting with his chest hair. He was a strange chap!

Hey Cath, great to have you back with us, if only for a little while. What's this "MIA show" you're going to be painting for, and what are you painting for it? I hope you get to take life a little easier real soon.

artbabe21
02-28-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey Cath, great to have you back with us, if only for a little while. What's this "MIA show" you're going to be painting for, and what are you painting for it? I hope you get to take life a little easier real soon.

Thanks Gavin......it's a local art association Montana Institute of the Arts that I belong to & they have a yearly art show on mother's day......how fitting, huh? Life is what it is & I don't try to control it as much as I once did FOR some things ARE out of our control!! :)

I'll be watching you all and YOU have a fine start already there...so you're giving up your alkyds? :eek:

Zarathustra
02-28-2004, 06:19 PM
I'm sure you'll come up with a wonderful and appropriate tribute Cath.

I'll still use the alkyds, but I won't replace them when they eventually run dry.

guillot
02-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Trust me Tina, it'll be just fine - Caspar very kindly gave us the back of a head to paint, compared to Baccus, that's got to be a doddle hasn't it? :D

Yes - loving the back of the head right now, LOL !!

Tina

DanaT
02-28-2004, 10:18 PM
Great start, Gavin. I'm with Tina still on the Caravaggio.
What's your palette and how do you plan to continue?

Zarathustra
02-29-2004, 03:18 AM
No decision as to a palette yet Dana. If Matt's information is correct then Caspar painted directly himself without this underpainting, although I'm quite sure he would have worked in layers. I think it would make logical sense to work on the rocks first and then do the sky and mist effects that lap at the edges, and partially cover these areas.

Lynn Larson
02-29-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm really going to try to get in on this one. I wish I could have done the others, but it was a pleasure to watch everyone's progress :)

Zarathustra
02-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Lynn, if you've got the time and the materials please jump aboard - the more the merrier!

DLGardner
03-01-2004, 01:39 AM
I hope to try this one as well! I have an artwalk coming up and my husband just got done making frames for my last six paintings. As soon as I paint the frames I'll be free...except for a photo shoot I have planned for Wednesday and more exciting work to do from that...but I need to keep up my studies and what better way then these MOMs. Talk with you all soon!

Dianne

TeAnne
03-01-2004, 02:29 AM
I will pass on this month too, me thinks. For me, the composition is too boring and too central. :(

You've done a nice job Z.

guillot
03-01-2004, 08:01 AM
For me, the composition is too boring and too central. :(

:eek: Well - I hope you change your mind TeAnne! Would be nice to have you join in.

Dianne - Thrilled that you are planning on participating.

Gavin - thanks again to you :angel:

I almost have Feb's behind me. Will proceed with this one as soon as complete.

:clap:

Tina

TeAnne
03-01-2004, 08:05 AM
:eek: Well - I hope you change your mind TeAnne! Would be nice to have you join in.

Tina

Seeing as how you put it so nicely :) I might re consider. :D
I hope you don't mind, I started the March easel off.

Rosic
03-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey Z... You and Matt have done a fine job at gathering the info and references to get us started. I just finished the Caravaggio and hope to start this one on my day off on Wednesday.
Bernard

TE... why don't you crop it into any comp you would like? ;) ... that's what I did with the Caravaggio.

guillot
03-02-2004, 11:36 PM
OK - what supports and sizes are you guys using?

Tina

Zarathustra
03-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Good to have more people signing up.
Bernard - did you get a chance to get this one underway today. ;)

Rosic
03-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Good to have more people signing up.
Bernard - did you get a chance to get this one underway today. ;)
Working on the rough sketch right now... maybe I should get off this computer... it seems to be slowing me down... :rolleyes: :D

Zarathustra
03-03-2004, 02:15 PM
The computer is my excuse many a time. ;)

guillot
03-03-2004, 03:45 PM
OK - what supports and sizes are you guys using?

Tina

????

:D

!

(for z)

jhodyl12
03-03-2004, 04:46 PM
Hi everybody,

I hope you don’t mind if I join in the fun, I am still very new to painting and have only done a few practice pieces before. (that means I will have a few questions….) :D I have mostly been a “lurker” on the site but decided to finally try joining in.

**James H.

Zarathustra
03-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Sorry Tina!! Thought you weren't including myself in that question as I think I mentioned it on the previous page... For myself, it's 22" by 15" which isn't the best size canvas proportion wise - I will have to invent a little more sky than shown in the original. :) It's on cotton canvas, which I primed with a few coats of lacaux acrylic gesso and added a slight olive hue in oil paint to kill the white (it was a canvas I had prepared before Christmas waiting to be used up).

Caspar's was 37,5 x 30" again on canvas. If Matt's information is correct then Caspar painted directly.

Hi James. Of course we don't mind!!! We're happy to have you here. If you have any questions please feel free to post them here, there's a lot of expert advice from some very talented artists, and all levels are welcome; there's no competition involved, at least none that I've been aware of.

dcorc
03-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Mine's going to be 16x20ins (which are the correct proportions), on board. Hoping to start at the weekend (and finish the Feb too - just not been much in the mood for it in the past few days :( )

Dave

Rosic
03-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Hi everybody,
I hope you don’t mind if I join in the fun, I am still very new to painting and have only done a few practice pieces before. (that means I will have a few questions….) :D I have mostly been a “lurker” on the site but decided to finally try joining in.
**James H.
James... if you stick it out you are sure to learn a lot. I know the feeling... I've only done a couple of practice pieces too... The MOM#1 and #2 to be exact. It is amazing how this project builds your confidence. I just started oils in January and Matt V. (one of my mentors here at WC) suggested I hop on-board the MOM project as a jump off point. I'm so glad I listened to him. The experienced painters here are more than glad to take you under their wing. Through the project I have not only learned a great deal... I have made some close friends... I plan to do this every month if possible.
Rosic

Dave... glad you signed on... I need ya man! ;)

jhodyl12
03-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone, I had been looking over the previous MOMs (1 & 2) and got excited to give it a try. I have been drawing most of my life but now in my mid 30s have finally got the courage to try painting. One of my problems with art has always been that I try to complete the subject in one sitting and with painting that has caused a few messy projects so far. I think the month long schedule will be good for me to try to pace myself.

Rosic, after seeing how nice looking your Caravaggio (MOM #2) came out I am shocked to hear that you have only been painting in oils since January. I am very envious.

I just put the last coat of gesso on a 16X20 panel and hope to be able to put in a charcoal sketch tomorrow night.

**James

guillot
03-03-2004, 10:41 PM
AH - OK, looks like 16 x 20 is the winning number. Thanks Z, Dave, and everyone.

welcome aboard James :)

Tina

Eugene Veszely
03-04-2004, 10:10 AM
I will pass on this month too, me thinks. For me, the composition is too boring and too central. :(

How can it be boring ...it is a powerful, grand statement !! :)

Zarathustra
03-05-2004, 03:01 PM
To all the brave and noble people undertaking a Mr. Friedrich reproduction - how are things coming along?
For anyone who hasn't signed up yet, we've got a weekend coming up - the pefect time for playing around with a bit of paint and a few brushes. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*.

dcorc
03-05-2004, 03:10 PM
To all the brave and noble people....

Well, I'll answer that (you forgot to mention modest, too !) .

My board (20x16ins) at the moment is in a state of pristine snowy purity - but I'm going to start spoiling it right now, this very evening ...bwahahahahahahaha :evil:

Dave

PS - like your new avatar Z - you look every bit the musician! (Wish I could still grow hair like that - well, on my head, anyway :) )

jhodyl12
03-05-2004, 03:52 PM
To all the brave and noble people undertaking a Mr. Friedrich reproduction - how are things coming along?

I tried doing my initial sketch of the layout last night on a 16X20 panel and I decided to try graphite as I have never used it before. It didn’t take long to get my hands and the canvas covered with a good amount of graphite smudges…. I guess I am learning by doing the MOM project, I’ve learned I don’t like graphite sticks much. :D

What does everybody else use for getting the layout and proportions? Oil, acrylic, graphite….. I was thinking of doing a simple thin under-painting with oils to get the size, placement, and values and then go into the full colors.

**James

Rosic
03-05-2004, 05:08 PM
What does everybody else use for getting the layout and proportions? Oil, acrylic, graphite….. I was thinking of doing a simple thin under-painting with oils to get the size, placement, and values and then go into the full colors.

**James
James...
I usually use vine charcoal... when sketch is completed I fix it with a spray fixative.
Bern

Zarathustra
03-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Dave, you can't be brave, noble and modest, that sort of chivalry is reserved for the knights of old. :) How's the board spoiling going? I'm sure you'll spoil it into something pretty cool.
The tinyhead's about 8 years ago now, I was just reminiscing. :D

James, as Bernard suggests, charcoal is a good way to go, providing you add some fixative. Graphite can potentially bleed through the oil paint layers given time. You can use graphite, but it is best to go over the lines with ink afterwards - charcoal is easier, or perhaps easier still is to use a brush and some paint with a reasonable amount of turps and draw it on with your brush. If anything goes wrong you can rub it out with a rag and redo it, or leave it dry and paint over it. I started with a bristle brush (one large brush and one small), and just started with the rocks, and built upwards using the one colour.
I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time. ;)

guillot
03-05-2004, 08:40 PM
My God that's a great avatar Z! :D

I'm beginning mine tomorrow. Have to work AGAIN tomorrow :( Overtime is good money though :cool: But I do plan on doing nothing more than painting tomorrow when I get home.

Tina

dcorc
03-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Here's where I've got to so far - this represents about 4 hours actual work time spread across the evening. As usual, I'm painting in W&N alkyds, using white spirit and Liquin. I'd prepared an acrylic-gessoed hardboard previously, 16 x 20 ins, and coated it yesterday with a thin coat of titanium white, to give me the nice smooth surface I like. This afternoon I scrubbed a very thin mix of White, liquin, and spirit onto it, and left it a couple of hours to become tacky.

As I don't want to get bogged down in making extensive time-consuming accurate underdrawings for these MOMs (because what I'm interested in is the extent to which I can try to follow some of the painting techniques of the originals) but I'm interested in fairly accurately reproducing the composition, I used the same trick (cheat?) I've described previously. Namely, taking a photoshop image of the original, flipping it horizontally, doing "edge detection", thus:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2004/30792-littleedgeflip.jpg

and printing it out as several sheets of A4 (approx US letter size) paper scaled at correct size for my board. Edges are then drawn along in charcoal, and the paper placed face down on the board and rubbed. Charcoal's transferred to the tacky surface, giving an accurate but basic charcoal drawing.

I've followed this up directly, by starting to paint in a block-in:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred1.jpg

Oh - I almost forgot - there's one other liquid being used here - Glenmorangie single malt, ten years old. :cool:

Dave

Zarathustra
03-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Hey Tina, tomorrow is today - keep us updated with your progress, you did a fantastic job with February's MOM project.

Dave, nice start to this one, but I can't help thinking that it would have been faster to just mark it in rather than fiddle in photoshop and print it out, trace it, and transfer it?
What palette choices are you using? I'm beginning to start with my rocks and I'm wondering why I bothered with an underpainting because it seems to be disappearing under opaque layers! :( Look forward to following your progress.

So would you recommend Glenmorangie single malt over liquin and magoer? I guess the latter might kill you a little quicker. :)

guillot
03-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi Z - Aw :o Thank you. Yes, tomorrow is today - but it's sinful I think to be up at 05:00 in the morning on a Saturday. Really not wanting to go to work! Spent last night doing Family R&R - went to see Lord of the Rings 3 (finally). WOW , what a long movie :D The youngest fell asleep around 10:00 last night - she missed quite a bit of the movie and was upset.

I'm asking myself - Do I really have to go to work today? :)

But - definitely starting on this one today sometime.

Dave - Last months was definitely time consuming! But, for me, worth every minute I put into it. That's an interesting method you have of transferring the drawing. Your painting is looking great, of course.

I think I'm going to shoot for a quick rough sketch for placement, and then just go for it directly. I need to go back and read about his technique. I'm seeing yellows come through, and thinking of toning the canvas first. But, with what? Maybe a yellow-orange? (thinking outloud).

I've learned so much just in the first two MOM's, and I'm hoping I can take what I'm learning into my own work. I know I will retain some things I'm learning like control whether painting loosely (zorn) or tightly (Carravagio), value ranges and harmonious (limited) palettes, and what you see is what you paint versus it's a glass, it's an apple (first glass first apple for me in last months - yes, I've painted for 5 years and have never painted an apple nor glass!). Hands are getting a little better for me too. What will I learn from this one? Maybe the affect of using a toned ground? Heck - I dunno! But I'll find out I'm sure.

I'm babbling at 5 in the morning. :D I need to get ready for work. :(

See you guys later,
Tina

dcorc
03-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Dave, nice start to this one, but I can't help thinking that it would have been faster to just mark it in rather than fiddle in photoshop and print it out, trace it, and transfer it?

It's just a no-brainer way of ensuring accurate placements, as I feel that this painting needs to be pretty "tight". Also - as we have quite a lot of people who obviously follow these threads, it just provides a demo of a technique - similar to gridding and scaling, or projecting, for achieving a transfer (for those unsure of their drawing skills, or who want a quick approach) - it might also be thought of as a 21st century equivalent to the old master technique of "pouncing" a bag of charcoal dust through pinholes in a "cartoon" drawing to transfer the outlines to the surface to be painted on. As the rest of the year's subjects are all less "busy" and "tight" than the first three months, I'll probably do them freehand.

What palette choices are you using? I'm beginning to start with my rocks and I'm wondering why I bothered with an underpainting because it seems to be disappearing under opaque layers! :( Look forward to following your progress.

I did a google search for "Friedrich" + "unfinished" - didn't find much - there was one (rather odd) site:
http://www.museumldv.com/index.htm
containing a couple of images:
http://www.museumldv.com/lionardo/ldv-en/friedricken1.htm
and
http://www.museumldv.com/lionardo/ldv-en/friedrich2-en.htm
The first shows what appears to possibly be a detailed greyscale underpainting with a couple of small areas of colour, and the second may be "school of.." which appeared blocked-in in midtones in the less finished areas. Not sure what to make of these, any comments?

Palette? - usual suspects - titanium white, ivory black, yellow ochre, french ultramarine, cadmium red, cadmium yellow, burnt sienna, burnt umber, (and possibly phthalo green on the coat, I'll test it out on a bit of scrap in comparison to a cad. yellow + ultramarine mix, see which I prefer)

So would you recommend Glenmorangie single malt over liquin and magoer? I guess the latter might kill you a little quicker. :)

What people don't realise is the story behind this painting - The reason the wanderer is on the mountaintop is that he's trying to get to clean air - he looks down on the clouds of lead carbonate powder shrouding the valleys below, as hobbyist painters try to manufacture their own lead white paint at home.

But nestling at his right foot in a crack in the crags, and wrapped in the same green cloth as his suit, is what can surely only be a bottle of a decent single malt :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2004/30792-fredbooze.jpg

Dave

Zarathustra
03-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Tina how do you do it? I mean how do you physically get up at 5am on a weekend?! :eek: I've seen the LOTR trilogy; special effects were spectacular, but it is a lot for young kids to sit through. Maybe Peter Jackson should remake the hobbit for a younger audience? I think he's working on a King Kong remake at present.
Although you were thinking aloud, I think a yellow/orange toning would work well. I usedtransparent oxide red for my underpainting, and that works well for the rocks in the foreground.

Dave, if you find it faster, I can appreciate the time constraints. I'm really pushed for time this month, so I'm hoping I can get most of it done before April, but without the alkyds, it's taken a long time to dry!

Thanks for the links, I've just been taking a peek - looks very interesting. Matt said he was a direct painter, but I feel he probably started with an underpainting of some description. Who knows.

But nestling at his right foot in a crack in the crags, and wrapped in the same green cloth as his suit, is what can surely only be a bottle of a decent single malt

lol. And here was me thinking it was a bit of vegetation! D'oh! :D

dcorc
03-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Working on delineating the rocks in the foreground currently - I've also done a second layer on the clouds - I'm finding that I'm working in thin creamy paint diluted with a bit of white spirit only (no liquin) using soft small brushes, and essentially drawing with the brush - I'm using Matt's large image as my ref, displayed on the computer monitor, zoomed in on the area I'm currently working on (no, my keyboard and mouse are not covered in paint :) )

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred2.jpg

Looking at the detail in this painting, I suspect I'll be painting this way throughout, building semiopaque layers, and drawing with the brush. A lot of it is going to be an exercise in fine tonal control with all those pale greyed subdued colours occupying so much of the painting.

While I don't think it's as technically challenging as Jan or Feb I think it's still likely to keep me busy most of the month - and I'm painting in the faster-drying alkyds, so I'll be interested to see how those using trad. oils fare.

Z - you've got a reddish underpainting - are you starting on the main painting yet? Kids need to see the entire LOTR trilogy in one sitting, I say! Twice, if they don't sit still and behave!

James - please show us your graphite sketch.

Anyone else making a start?

Tina - the only way I'm ever up at 5am is if I've stayed up!!

Dave

jhodyl12
03-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Hi guys, how’s everybody doing? Thanks for the information about graphite being bad and to try to use charcoal, I checked my box of drawing supplies and I had some vine charcoal. I didn’t have much time during the day but I managed to sneak in about an hour tonight and got the basic shapes and sizes setup on the canvas using a grid:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Mar-2004/14890-james_3_1.jpg

I am not that happy with his right leg, looks a little too thick….. I also realized that I don’t have spray fixative so I am going to get a can in the morning, I would like to get some painting done before the end of the weekend.

**James

artbabe21
03-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Terrific drawing James!!!!!!!! Wish I was doing this with you guys & gals...but with this spring show coming up & spring break I just couldn't squeeze it in....but I am painting to some degree!

All the work so far is lookin' really awesome...I AM planning on the bowl of roses...what month is that???????????????????????????? :) Rock on... :evil:

jhodyl12
03-07-2004, 12:32 AM
...I AM planning on the bowl of roses...what month is that???????????????????????????? :) Rock on... :evil:

Thank you Cathleen :p I think you are refering to July (Abbott Handerson Thayer - Roses). That will be one of my favorites also.

I havn't drawn much in the last year and I could feel the rusting weels on the artistic right side of my brain slowly start to turn again. :D

Biki
03-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Hi Gavin, Tina (and all)

Looking forward to this ( I'm still doing some work on the Feb painting, but good to start on this one!).

I see you're getting ahead a bit with the underpainting, Gavin, like I did for Feb. Hopefully we'll recruit the regulars for this month, plus a few more (Come on folks, join in, it's fun)!

So do we have to grow the facial hair http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/30792-caspavatar.jpg to get in the spirit for this one then? :D

Dave

if by chance i were brave enough to join in with you guys, i am such a snail at it all, i would not get the time to do my "passion" paintings.

well, that's my excuse, anyway.

i wish, i wish, my income duties did not get in the way of being able to paint whenever i wish. however, i am watching with interest.

dcorc
03-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Here's this afternoon's efforts:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred3.jpg

Much scumbling, scrubbing, and blending with thin coats of pale blue greys and various dirty browns - palette at this point consists only of titanium white, french ultramarine, ivory black, burnt sienna, burnt umber (and a smidgen of cad yellow for the block-in of the clothes). Just paint slackened off very slightly with white spirit. No liquin or other mediums.

Biki - the fastest way to speed up is just to paint as much as possible - rather than thinking of these MOMs as difficult, they actually remove a lot of difficulties, decisions, and dithering, from the painting process - you don't have to worry about subject matter, composition, or colour choices, because they've all already been decided for you by (long dead) experts! :) It's purely a technical exercise in slapping the paint on - and since you're "all questions" on that, you'd be able to compare and contrast exactly what's involved to try to get particular effects, with the rest of us, while doing it! Come on, be brave, join in, don't take it too seriously, it's fun! (and none of this "I can't paint" nonsense! :p ). Do a crop of part of it, if you want.

Dave

guillot
03-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Tina how do you do it? I mean how do you physically get up at 5am on a weekend?! :eek:

Hi Gavin , Sometimes it's not easy - that's for sure!!! But, I would rather go in as early as possible that way I do not feel as though my entire day was spent at work. :) I get up at 04:30 every morning of the week, and I'm out the door at 6:00 so I'm kind of used to it.

My undertoning came out really strange :) I used thinned naples yellow + cad orange.

Dave - I've stayed up like that many times :D As usual, your painting is coming along fantastic.

Biki - come on!!! It's fun.

Im working my way down the canvas. Need to start with some darks now - too "easter" right now :D . I wanted to capture the sky as closely as possible - all wet into wet so far. Came back to edit to say IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP :D

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2004/5957-beginning_outside2.jpg

Rosic
03-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone! I'm finally in on this one. Everyones work is looking great and as always, I look forward to the finished results.

My work is on 11x14 gessoed masonite. I did a minimal sketch with charcoal, fixed it, let it dry, and began painting. I decided not to do an under-painting and see what it would be like to work from background to foreground in this one (such a prominent foreground :) ). What you see here is from one sitting today (about an hour) working wet-on-wet. So far my palette includes: titanium white, ivory black, dioxazine purple, burnt umber, raw sienna, yellow ochre, and french ultramarine. I am using Liquin to thin the paint and allow for quicker drying times because my game plan is to build this one up in layers working from BG to FG.

You guys are not gonna believe what Olivia is calling this one :p ...
Willie Wonka :D :D :D
I guess it is going to be a monthly ritual for her to name these famous paintings.
Bernie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2004/17108-mommarch2.JPG

guillot
03-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Bernie - looks wonderful so far :clap:

I forgot to say that I purposely moved mine over to the left to off center it just a little bit. My palette choices are Cobalt blue, ivory black, cobalt violet, aliz crimson, yellow ochre, burnt umber and flake white. Moving along, I'm getting down to the rock platform in the foreground. I'll paint him last, I think. And then, some clouds need some work. So far, having a blast although it's not turning out as I had planned. I'm feeling restrained by the size (16 x 20) - especially after the Zorn and Carravagio. :D

an update:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Mar-2004/5957-beginning2_OUTSIDE2.jpg

artbabe21
03-07-2004, 06:36 PM
You gals & guys really rock! :) I am so impressed! Tina so good to see you painting....I know how little time you have for it anymore!! :D Lookin' GOOD!

Gavin...that's NOT you in your tinyhead????????? I remember your face from the paint a portrait of a WC member & that isn't you??????? Guys can shave facial hair & look YEARS younger! Have you turned R&R music master as well??? :)

Biki....wish you'd give it a shot...you can take as long as you like to finish...:D
The only way to get where you want to go is to keep at it.......I KNOW, it's my slogan lately!!

Rosic
03-07-2004, 11:22 PM
if by chance i were brave enough to join in with you guys, i am such a snail at it all, i would not get the time to do my "passion" paintings.

Biki... Come on in... the water's fine... :D

Zarathustra
03-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Dave, you're progressing very well, rocks are looking excellent. I find I am also using my brush like a pencil, I don't think you can do it any other way, at least where the rocks are concerned.

Hey Biki, if you get a chance join on in, it's Master OF the month and not Master IN a month. ;) You have all the time in the world.

Tina - 4:30am?! That's army discipline for you. :) Hope you get some early nights. You're progressing very well - love your clouds. :)

You guys are not gonna believe what Olivia is calling this one ...
Willie Wonka

lol. :D
Great beginning Bernard, you really seem to be getting the hang of this oil painting thing. How are you finding the brush handling these days? Is it becoming less alienating?

Cath. :D Yes, it's me, but about 8 years ago. :)

Rosic
03-08-2004, 08:36 AM
lol. :D
Great beginning Bernard, you really seem to be getting the hang of this oil painting thing. How are you finding the brush handling these days? Is it becoming less alienating?
Yes... I'm beginning to get the hang of it... more importantly... I'm loving it! ;) Just wish I had someone like you over my shoulder to tell me when to STOP :eek: ... I seem to over work my strokes to often.

Zarathustra
03-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Bernard, good to hear you're enjoying it - so much more versatile than a pencil or stick of charcoal. :) I think for this painting it would be hard to overwork your strokes. ;)
I've heard it said that there is no such thing as 'mud', only incorrect colour temperature.

guillot
03-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Dave, you're progressing very well, rocks are looking excellent. I find I am also using my brush like a pencil, I don't think you can do it any other way, at least where the rocks are concerned.

This would be where I screwed up! :D I blocked in the colors and I can honestly say it looks like poop (to say it nicely)! Some of my colors are way off the mark as well. I'm going to scrape it all off (the rocks) when I get home from work today. And yes, it will be an early evening for me :cat: Not too much pressing after work (except of course maybe a glass of wine to de-stress) - so I should be able to paint. You could do the rocks with a knife, but I think using the brush like a pencil is the way to go here as well. Is this where the most time will be spent? On the rocks?

Thanks Z - you rock! ;)

Thanks Cathleen and all !!!!!

I'm still feeling restrained by the size of the canvas .........

Tina

Zarathustra
03-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi Tina, don't be too harsh on yourself, I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you might think. ;) You could paint the rocks and the figure as a near black silhouette and I think it would look great, it is just I found that when I brightened the tones of the photo, I found Caspar had included a lot more detail than is initially apparent, and to recreate that detail, some pretty tight brushwork is needed. It's not the only way to approach it though.

guillot
03-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi Tina, don't be too harsh on yourself, I'm sure it's not nearly as bad as you might think. ;) You could paint the rocks and the figure as a near black silhouette and I think it would look great, it is just I found that when I brightened the tones of the photo, I found Caspar had included a lot more detail than is initially apparent, and to recreate that detail, some pretty tight brushwork is needed. It's not the only way to approach it though.

I dunno man :D ... I think mine stinks right now, LOL ! It's all good though - it's fixable :cool: Maybe I went into it with a bit too much of the "I'm free..... :D " attitude after that Carravagio and got a bit carried away.. . The Cobalt Violet is a bit too much ;)

I saw the his res pic! Yes, big difference. Blue coat, green velvet pants? Lots of detail in the jacket, and in the rocks... Little grasses and such. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first landscape I've done since ......er.....that castle I believe :evil:

I like the silhouette idea too...

Cathleen - how is your preparation for the show coming along?? Wish you could join in.. I'm doing everything I can to "make" time lately !!! Just lots of work.

Everyone is doing so great !!!

BIKI !! Where are you??

OK, where's my glass of wine?

Tina

dcorc
03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
First things first - it's time for a new silly avatar!

Bern - you've made a good start on Willie Wonka there! (and rapid! - you should enter the lists for the 2 hour WDEs in the WC Gallery on the weekend - I do one, some weeks). 11 x 14 - that's quite small. As Z says, it's probably impossible to overwork the paint strokes on this one.

Z - got a photo update for us yet?

Tina - when one's painting, one's often in the "Zone", that altered state of consciousness (no, Z, it's not the Glenmorangie! :) ) - I often find that I'm blissfully happy while painting - seeing not only what I'm painting but where I'm intending it to go - then I take a break, come back and evaluate it, and see it coldly as a woefully dull inadequate thing :( . So I think the disappointment you're describing is a commonplace experience - the trick is to pretend to the world that that's what one intended to paint ( and not let on how much better it looks in one's head!). For example - in my own effort now, I'd like to keep the colours subdued, but at the moment the wretched thing is so dull that I'm inclined to conclude that my wanderer's climbed to the top only in order to throw himself off!

Here it is, anyway:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred4.jpg

Today's changes: faint scrub-in of vermilion hue over sky, first thing this morning, and some reworking of the closest mists in ultramarine, titanium white and ivory black. This evening - scrubbed in some pale yellow (cadmium yellow light + white) into the sky and into clouds started last night in white.

Used photoshop to do a pale version of the hi-res image, and used that to guide getting some darker areas into the rocks in burnt umber + ivory black.

I'm doing this with a few fairly small flat soft synthetic brushes - putting paint on, then blending edges into adjacent wet, or thinning out soft edges to invisibility with a dry brush - the paint surface is mill-pond flat.

Dave

Rosic
03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
Dave... those rocks really ROCK! Lookin good!

artbabe21
03-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Dave....yours is lookin' really GOOD and I completely agree about the blissful in the ZONE experience then whammo..........it looks all wrong, well I had fun anyway!! That's the point...:)

Rosic
03-09-2004, 10:35 PM
James and Gavin... How are you guys progressing? :)

Tina and Dave... Looking good! :clap:

Biki... Where are you? ;)

Cathleen... Thanks for cheering us on! :angel:

Hope to paint some on mine tomorrow and post an update.
It will be only chance until next Wednesday.

Bern

jhodyl12
03-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey everybody, I can't believe how much progress everybody is making, it's a little intimidating for me at this time. That’s because I haven’t had the chance to put any paint on my canvas yet…. :( I work at a web hosting company and from time to time I build web sites “on the side”. Out of nowhere I now have two sites to build, I appreciate the extra income it will bring but I can’t wait to get painting.

I also purchased a new (inexpensive) easel that should be delivered on Wednesday so that will make it easier for me to get a regular spot to work and not have to try to clear the dinning room table every time I want to paint. I picked up fixative at the art store on Sunday and someone managed to also come out with another 7 or 8 tubes of paint, I wonder how that happened? At least I didn’t go near the brushes. :D

**James

DLGardner
03-10-2004, 02:12 AM
I have my empty canvas on my lap even as I read.

I am going miniature again folks for lack of large canvas and the money that buys it. But I am going to do this. I will pretend I am the gentleman looking out over that vista...So beautiful.

Dianne

Zarathustra
03-10-2004, 03:14 AM
I'm also pushed for time, so have only done a couple of half hour sessions... will try to post something perhaps early next week.

Rosic
03-10-2004, 10:40 AM
I have my empty canvas on my lap even as I read.

I am going miniature again folks for lack of large canvas and the money that buys it. But I am going to do this. I will pretend I am the gentleman looking out over that vista...So beautiful.

Dianne

Dianne... glad to see you are joining the fun! Haven't you heard?... that gentleman is Willie Wonka... :D ... hope this doesn't mess up your muse.
Bernie

Rosic
03-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Got to spend another 1 1/2 hours on this today.
Using same palette.
Bernie

Latest update
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/17108-mommarch3.JPG

Close-up
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/17108-mommarch3close.JPG

artbabe21
03-10-2004, 04:54 PM
Bernie :clap: wow! You're doing well! Love watching the progress! :D

Dianne...how cool you will have the opportunity to do this one...you paint SO fast! :)

Gavin...anxious to see how yours is coming along!

James...hope you can join the fun...don't be intimidated...this is meant as a virtual classroom! Welcome to the project!! :D

dcorc
03-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Cathleen, Bernie - thanks for the kind comments!

Bernie - your's is coming on in leaps and bounds.

James - no need to feel intimidated, just work on it at your own pace when you can. Having somewhere one can leave set up makes a bit difference to the ability to do a bit of painting each day - it doesn't have to be like Sargent's studio! - (I'd kill for the studio acreage Biki's got :) )

Dianne - it will be good to see you having a go (James - you think the rest of us paint quickly? - Dianne's got go-faster stripes - the sonic booms can be heard for miles around as she moves that brush :) )

Z - look forward to seeing it when you've got the chance.

For my own - I'm continuing to tinker with it generally, nothing too exciting to see at this point - I'll probably post an update pic tomorrow evening.

Dave

Biki
03-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks for encouragement to join in guys. But I will pass this month.
I have something on the easel & also a workshop coming up.
Maybe next month.?

Will definately sign up for the Bougueruea tho. :) But only because you all will be around to help me. :D

Still - I DO love to watch. :cool:

jhodyl12
03-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks Dave and Cathleen, I guess I shouldn’t say intimidated but SLOW. I did get my new easel when I came home from work today. It took about an hour to put together but I should be able to get myself setup in my own little corner tonight so I can start painting.

I got a “STUDIO RTA STEEL STUDIO EASEL” from Jerrys Artarama. It seems pretty sturdy and it weighs about 27 lbs but best of all it only was $59.99. Here is a picture of it after having finally been put together (not an easy task)….

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/14890-paint.jpg

Now to start laying out my supplies and getting to work. :D

**James.

DLGardner
03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Dianne... glad to see you are joining the fun! Haven't you heard?... that gentleman is Willie Wonka... ... hope this doesn't mess up your muse.

I will pretend I am Willie Wonka gazing covetously over the vast chocolate fields.

Dave, Cathleen, the engines are warming up harrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm. :D

Rosic
03-11-2004, 12:22 AM
I will pretend I am Willie Wonka gazing covetously over the vast chocolate fields.
:D
There ya go!... You got it! ;)

Glad you are jumping in to this one!

Zarathustra
03-11-2004, 11:21 AM
James, just make sure you don't go en plein aire painting with that thing! ;)

jhodyl12
03-11-2004, 10:45 PM
How's everybody doing? I was able to do some painting last night and tonight, still working on blocking in shapes and getting the canvas colored. I took a picture of where I am now though my batterys in the camera were dying so I didn't have time to setup a good picture so I tried to adjust it in photoshop to look more like what is on the canvas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Mar-2004/14890-james_3_2a.jpg

The one thing I didn't notice before is that most of the values are pretty dark, I think that's OK for the rocks in the foreground but I will have to bring down the rocks in the midground so they get pushed back. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
**James.

WV.Artistry
03-12-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm thinking about joining this crusade if it's an open invitation -- it looks like fun.

I like what you've done with the segment of rocks on the right, that's rising to the character -- catching light. I can see their definition. I'm approaching my sketch with this altered view to help me find my way..

Zarathustra
03-12-2004, 03:07 AM
James - the block-in is a good place to progress from. Subsequent glazing will get the tones and colours you're happy with. If you try the 'search' option at the top of the page you can find lots of threads that discuss glazing techniques.

Richard - welcome to Wetcanvas, and great to have you joining in. ;)

guillot
03-13-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking about joining this crusade if it's an open invitation -- it looks like fun.

Of course it's an open invitation!! :) So good to see new people joining in!! Hope you guys stick around for the coming months as well.

Dianne - so good to see you joining in too!!!

Biki - :clap: can't miss out on that Borgie!!! That one will be loads of fun for sure :D

I hope everyone is enjoying copying all these wonderful Masters. I know I am. And, I'm learning so much from doing these. (I've probably already said that a hundred times)

Z - thanks for all the support!! You're such a gem.

Cathleen - I hope the work for your show is coming along well. I'm absolutely sure that it is!!

Well, I didn't have to go to work this morning :eek: The overtime lately is killing me timewise, but I hope to get my brushes swinging again today.

Bernie - coming along fantastically!!!

Dave - words escape me :D I need a maid, not a wife :evil: LOL Love the way your painting is coming along. Are you running into any problems so far?

:clap: It's a painting day, sun is shining beautifully, should be close to 80 today :clap:

Tina

WV.Artistry
03-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Of course it's an open invitation!! :) So good to see new people joining in!! Hope you guys stick around for the coming months as well.

Dianne - so good to see you joining in too!!!

Biki - :clap: can't miss out on that Borgie!!! That one will be loads of fun for sure :D

I hope everyone is enjoying copying all these wonderful Masters. I know I am. And, I'm learning so much from doing these. (I've probably already said that a hundred times)

Z - thanks for all the support!! You're such a gem.

Cathleen - I hope the work for your show is coming along well. I'm absolutely sure that it is!!

Well, I didn't have to go to work this morning :eek: The overtime lately is killing me timewise, but I hope to get my brushes swinging again today.

Bernie - coming along fantastically!!!

Dave - words escape me :D I need a maid, not a wife :evil: LOL Love the way your painting is coming along. Are you running into any problems so far?

:clap: It's a painting day, sun is shining beautifully, should be close to 80 today :clap:

Tina

Thanks.

Zarathustra
03-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Well, I have made a start, even if I haven't made much progress. Rocks are far from complete, but they are at least starting to take form. I reckon they will be most time consuming part of the painting, and hopefully the rest should come together pretty quickly after that.
I am using yellow ochre, transparent oxide red, lamp black and burnt umber. Just paint and a little turps so far.

guillot
03-13-2004, 09:58 PM
Wow, awesome Z!! Nice color choices, the rocks are wonderful. Glad you are finding some time to paint. :)

Tina

guillot
03-14-2004, 12:58 PM
I worked a little more on mine. I have all kinds of things going wrong :) Like, wrong color choices to begin with :rolleyes: - anyway, I think I can still make it work. On the high res pic, on my monitor the jacket looks blue (and mine is a little cocked in one area) and the pants green, so I thought I would go that route. Wrong green wrong blue! But, this is the first go around with that, just laid in quickly last night. The rocks are not finished and needs lots of work still. The whole thing needs lots of work still :D - just trying to get the rest laid in so that I can finish this one up. The more I work on it, the more I appreciate this painting.

HOW ARE YOU GUYS DOING? :)

Thanks,
Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/5957-Willie_1.jpg

Zarathustra
03-14-2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks Tina, and nice going with this one. ;)
If you're unhappy with the colours, you can always glaze.

DLGardner
03-14-2004, 08:32 PM
I finally have a little time to start this. Just blocking in some as I clean off my palette from another painting.

I was going to do a miniature, but my last open studio piece came out so horrendous, I decided to use the canvas for the MOM project. Its 18 X 24.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/8002-Mom1.jpg

Now that I started I can go back and see what everyone else is doing. Its hard to move away from the computer to paint, isn't it? :D

DLGardner
03-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Sorry, I accidentally double posted.
Here's a closeup.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/8002-Momc2.jpg
Dianne

WV.Artistry
03-14-2004, 08:54 PM
[QUOTE=guillot]The more I work on it, the more I appreciate this painting.

I started on my sketch last night (2hrs), and began my underpainting today(4hrs).

No digital camera, so I'll get the pics developed in a couple of days to upload. I'm working from the sky down.. and doing a segmental underpainting based on the three major parts. I had to flip the painting upside-down to get that skewed upside-down water ripple reflection look in the sky correct.

Either there's a large UFO in the sky above his head, or I've been staring at this painting too long :)

Thanks for palet Zarathustra. I'm mostly in Payne's Grey for the sky and middle-section underpainting.. so I can fade the miscellaney into the fog.. bringing raw sienna and raw umbers into the middle section for glow and semblence. Just for definition, I'm going to do sap green on the knoll grass, and then glaze with the transparent red oxide.. That was a good color call!!

This is a very challenging painting.

dcorc
03-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Biki - pity you can't join in, as I think this one, amongst other things, could be used as good practice for the sort of "tight" painting technique which can be used for photorealism. I know you want to concentrate on "best friends". But we know you're watching! :)

James - don't drop that easel on your foot, it looks heavy! Making rapid progress there. For your midground rocks, just scrub some lighter bluer values into them and they'll go back nicely, I think.

Z - Looks great so far!

Tina - Yours is coming together well. As to costume colours: looking at the ref, while the trousers are definitely green, the jacket seems to be dark greeny-bluey-greeny-blue :p , as far as I can see!

Dianne - good to have you joining, and doing it on a good sized canvas too ! All sorts of dramatic things going on in the blocking-in there, and I'm sure you'll race along!

Bernie - coming along well, see you on wednesday?

Cathleen - thanks for cheering us all on

Richard - welcome aboard - I'm intrigued by your photoshop manip - what are the stages in that please? Sounds like you're making good progress, I'll look forward to seeing your pics posted.

Lastest update on mine:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred5.jpg

Just general tweaking of everything, really, with layers of thin semi-opaque to opaque paint - gradually knocking things into shape, I hope. Still some way to go.

Dave

DLGardner
03-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Wow Dave, talk about racing along you are doing great and gaining momentum yourself! Looking good!

A little more paint on the canvas and then I'm going to pick up another project. Hope to see some more WIPs tomorrow!

Dianne
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Mar-2004/8002-Mom3.jpg

guillot
03-15-2004, 06:13 PM
the jacket seems to be dark greeny-bluey-greeny-blue :p

Dave

Exactly what I thought :p :D Too funny! dark greeny-bluey-greeny-blue :cool:

Z - Thanks :) Echoing Dave - your's looks great !!! ..

r601.... - can't wait to see your progress. You should get a dig. cam. Makes loading much easier ..

Dianne - You are the fastest painter!! Looks lovely as usual - and love your palette choices. You have such a wonderful style - it shows in all of your work.

Hoping to get back to mine this evening. It's just so beautiful outside here today. Was almost 80 degrees :D :cat:

Tina

guillot
03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
How long has Master of the Month been going on? All I can say is WOW!!! I so want to paint this picture. How close do you try to match Caspar David's style and palette colors? Do you know anything about the protrait of Caspar David? I have enjoyed looking at all your works on this thread. This is so cool, it's like finding the last one of Wonka's five golden tickets.

Nickel

Hi Nickel (welcome to the oils forum BTW). We began these activities in January, and have a schedule posted here (a sticky) in the forum if you would like to take a look to see what we have coming up. Never too late for anyone to participate!! Hope you decide to join us.

The beginning of this thread discusses what knowledge could be found on Caspar. The original idea evolved into doing our best to "copy" the master of that particular month, learning those techniques, and studying palette choices. Learning at our own will - if you will :)

Every month a new master is posted, per the schedule:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147797

Here is January's:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156379

Here is February's:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164180

Take care and hope to see you again :)

Tina

WV.Artistry
03-16-2004, 04:41 PM
WIP

a) Sketch, b) underpainting, and c) rough.. for segments 1) sky and upper earth, 2) middle earth.

Need to edit a few things, then will layer the hues.. red, yellow, rose. Add trees. Can probably start on the knoll grass. Still haven't got my sky to look like an upside-down pond reflection...

Please excuse the photo quality.

WV.Artistry
03-17-2004, 12:41 AM
So I think that in an earlier post, someone mentioned that there was more detail than you could really see unless you had Photoshop to enhance the photographic image. I believe that is very true of Friedrich's style.
Thanks Nickel

I brought it into photoshop to look at it more closely before starting.. it helped me to "see it". Personally, I think the painting is grouped in threes.. or segments, and I'm not implying more meaning is there, but it helped me to appreciate it a little better.

Raw Umber is a subsitute for darkness without being so absolute, but what works for you, is right.

Raw Sienna comes in handy.

Zarathustra is using a Transparent Red Oxide which I have got to buy in the future.. Your Alizarin Crimson is something to be careful with though. To my knowledge, it has one of the longest drying times of any paints.

The one altered image attached is for discerning the sky mostly, and the other is for seeing the knoll. Both of them show more detail than I could readily see in the wash..

Richard

Rosic
03-17-2004, 03:02 PM
Looking good everybody! I just got back from my business trip and hope to jump back into this project very soon. I'll have time later tonight to view the new progress shots in detail.
Bernie

Rosic
03-17-2004, 04:08 PM
James... Glad to see you putting that new easel to work!

Z... Man those rocks are looking great... you are definitely capturing the feel of the rugged terrain.

Tina... Oh yes... I can feel the vastness in yours... well done so far.

Dianne... So wonderful to watch yours unfold like that... Superb!

Dave... Excellent detail... especially on ol' Willie Wonka there. ;)

r601020 & Nickel... Thanks for joining us.

Rosic

Zarathustra
03-17-2004, 07:23 PM
There's some excellent progression being made by everybody. I only wish I had more time to join in than I have so far; I think any plans to have had this done within the month are well and truly out the window!

D_Garden - very nice painterly effect and instantly recognisable as your own style, which also shows through in your palette choice. Well done. :)

Dave - I think you're almost there aren't you! It's come together really well. How do you find this MOM project compared to Jan and Feb's?

Richard - like D_Garden, you have a distinctive style of your own. It is fascinating to watch everybody's interpretation, and I think what you've done with it is great.

Nickel - Nice to have you join in, and it seems you're all ready to take the plunge now you have the sketch up on your canvas. :) If you have any questions, fire away and I'm sure you'll get all the helpful advice you will need.

Oh, and Bernard & Tina - cheers for the kind words. ;) Just need some more time to paint!!!

Rosic
03-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Hi, Happy St. Patrick's Day.
Best
Nickel
I'm tippin' me glass to you as I type!!! :clap:

Great news everyone... I heard from Matt... he is getting his broad-band hooked up and should be back with us in a week or so.

guillot
03-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Richard - looking great so far!!

Thank you Bernie :)

Z - I'm with you. Hopefully though I can finish this one up this weekend. Just so hard for me to find time lately.

Nickel - glad you are participating. This is all about learning - so have fun with it!!!

Everyone is doing wonderfully !!!!!

C-YA Later,
Tina

WV.Artistry
03-19-2004, 05:17 PM
Richard - looking great so far!!

Tina

Thanks, completed the the middle-earth rocks and upside-down trees. Here's the w/i/p. I've since pinked out the sky and added fog. Working on the knoll tonight and this weekend.

guillot
03-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Good Advice!!!

Do you know if you can use color chalked or oil pastels for sketching like a charcoal pencil or a lump of coal? :D

Hi Nickel - yes and no. You can use pastels for an underdrawing (or underpainting for that fact) but not oil pastels (you an use oil pastels over oils but not under). Mud can be used in good places. I believe one philosophy is that "mud" is actually a mixture of colors that occured in the "wrong place", not necessarily in the right place. THere is a really good discussion on "mud" here in the forum somewhere - a really good read for understanding "mud" (some tend to associate with the actual colour of mud, which is not true). I do my best to keep my colors clean, although some "dirty" colors are great if they are in the right place and used expressfully.

So far, these are the colors I have used and am open to suggestions.

Tone: Flake white & Light Yellow-Orange;
Sketch: Covered charcoal with Light Yellow Ochre;
Laying Colors:
Sky: Grumbacher Titanium white (soft)
Sky Blues: Manganese Blue, Cerulean Blue, Cobalt Blue Deep, Prussian Blue
Rocks: Grayed Raw Umber + Ivory Black
Willie Wonka's Suit: Mix of pea size Cadmium Yellow Light + Blues

You only need one white - most preferrably the flake (or the other per your preference). You only need one blue - most preferrably the Prussian blue (you can make the other blues with other mixtures). Where is your red? Are you mixing your browns? Just my immediate thoughts......... nothing more.

Hope everyone is having fun!

Tina

Zarathustra
03-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Hi Tina,

I never knew the thing about pastels, I don't think I've seen that done before. Is fixative enough to stop the brushes and mediums destroying a pastel underlayer?

guillot
03-20-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi Z - yep, fixative will work, or a coat of spray retouch. You can even use childrens "sidewalk chalk" if you want to. :)

I told myself I was going to finish this painting this weekend. I was supposed to get up and go to work today too :evil: (overtime = overkill) I really want to finish this one up.

I'm having a hard time dealing with some personal issues - my husband leaves for a 1 year tour to Korea in a couple of weeks :crying: So, the grieving process has begun ... At least he is not being sent back to Iraq.

A year scares me.

Tina

Zarathustra
03-20-2004, 01:41 PM
Tina, I'm very sorry to hear you will be on your own for the next year - you'll always have friends here, and I'm sure between the work and the painting, a year will pass far sooner than you might think.

WV.Artistry
03-20-2004, 04:56 PM
yeah.. my kid brother was in Iraq for almost a year, ugh!! He might end up in Korea next, or another tour of Baghdad, ugh!!

Rosic
03-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Lookin Good Nickel!

Tina... I liked what Z said... we'll be here for you for what it's worth. Is your husband in the Army? My brother-in-law is in Special Forces and has already spent a lot of time overseas... we seldom see him. My thoughts are with you and your family.
B...

guillot
03-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Tina, I'm very sorry to hear you will be on your own for the next year - you'll always have friends here, and I'm sure between the work and the painting, a year will pass far sooner than you might think.

Z, Bernie, R601.., Nickel, - thanks :D It is great to know that I have you and Wetcanvas! to pull me through. I'm hoping it will pass quickly as well, but what a shame to "wish" a year of life away. Life is already too short. In the past three months, all of my close friends have moved away as well - but hey, I have my two beautiful girls :angel:, and I've got work :evil:, and I have painting and Wetcanvas. Can still communicate with my close friends by phone, just at a distance it is different. The lack of close adult communication is difficult. I could've transferred with him to Korea, but he didn't want to uproot the children, and wasn't sure about safety - then we would have to go through getting housing all over again (we would be coming back here), and if I transferred we would have to be there for two years instead of one and he definitely did not want to do that. So, this is the way it will be .... yep - life in the Army :D

So OK - thanks everyone for lifting my spirits :angel: It's nice to know you care.

Back to Caspar - how is everyone doing? I'm going to do my rounds here in the forum, and get busy :) ;)

Ciao
Tina

Matt Sammekull
03-21-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi all.

I'm back from the land of no Internet, and am delighted to see how much interest MOm is attracting. All of you are doing great! I have to skip this one though, too much to do with my new house and all. But I'll be back for future MOM's.

Take care,

//matt

dcorc
03-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi Tina

As you can see, you definitely have a family here too! :angel: - and we'll all misbehave like naughty children to keep you as busy as possible :evil: - if that's what it takes to help the time to pass a little quicker. :)

Dave

dcorc
03-21-2004, 10:08 AM
Matt - why not give the Friedrich a go later in the year? (No escape, you see! :evil: )

Dave

dcorc
03-21-2004, 10:33 AM
Hoping everyone's managed to find a bit of time to make further progress.

I think I am almost finished with mine - just making lots of small adjustments at this point, probably post tomorrow or tuesday.

Z - to answer your questions specifically, I think this is an easier painting than Jan or Feb - personally I've found the Zorn trickiest so far. The Zorn definitely has a watercolour/far-east vibe to it - of needing to make the "right" mark and then leave it and not fiddle with it. The Caravaggio relies upon getting the detailed underpainting right first, not getting it too dark, and then lots of glazing to end up with both the right values and intensity of colour. This Friedrich painting is just a consistent buildup of semi-opaque/opaque paint, into some detail. The whole thing is pretty tightly painted, but that's just about persistence.

One thing about Friedrich's technique which has struck me more and more strongly as I've gone on with the painting, and with examining the ref image, is that he very frequently uses one particular "trick" at edges - he tends to ramp the value on the pale side of an edge up as he gets closer to it, and tends to ramp the value on the dark side increasingly down as he approaches that same edge from the other side. By doing this he maximises the contrast at the edge in order to get the sense that it is pin-sharp. This trick is used in many place in this painting, but most blatently around the rocks in the bottom right hand corner.

Dave

Zarathustra
03-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Tina, I can imagine it will be difficult - the first six months overall. If you make it to that stage, then it is easier to start counting down the weeks instead of counting them up. Just think how great it will be when you get to see each other again, most people don't get to experience that intensity when they are always together.

Dave, I agree with what you're saying about the edges. Their are sharp contrasts that add to the drama, but without that subtle blending the results can look disastrous!

dcorc
03-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Just to clarify my comment about contrast, I've been doing a bit of "science" using photoshop and excel on the hi-res reference image - I took a slice though the border (not exactly this one, this is wider than one pixel, to make it easier to see ) like this:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2004/30792-slice.jpg

In Photoshop I rotated the slice through 90 degrees, desaturated it, and read off the luminance values of the pixels. In Excel I plotted these (slice image along the top) - vertical axis is luminance, horizontal is position along the slice.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2004/30792-slicegraph.jpg

Note how the brightness dips before the border, and peaks after it - this is Friedrich using an "image sharpening" approach! (and I'm certain it's not a photographic or digital image artefact!!).

Dave

WV.Artistry
03-21-2004, 01:32 PM
1) Underpainting knoll
Payne's Grey, Raw Umber, Pigment, Raw Sienna

2) Glaze Knoll
Payne's Grey, French Marine, Raw Umber, T.Earth, T.Red Ochre

Need to tweak my fog, sky, add highlights to the knoll, and complete the ghost of Friedrich.. hopefully, I'll get it done before Friday and submit it for an exhibit here.

Zarathustra
03-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Dave, that's a pretty scientific approach. To the naked eye, those rocks look pretty dark, and the cracks don't help. All hail the computer and Photoshop.

So basically you're talking about an even (though very subtle) graduation of lights on one side, and darks on the other, until they meet in the middle and create the contrast. Theory seems good, what do you think the best way to tackle it is in practice?

Richard, those rocks are looking great. I really like your take on this.

dcorc
03-21-2004, 03:32 PM
Dave, that's a pretty scientific approach. To the naked eye, those rocks look pretty dark, and the cracks don't help. All hail the computer and Photoshop.
I'm a pretty scientific fellow :) (he said, modestly :p ) - well, I am scientific, but I'm not pretty :)

So basically you're talking about an even (though very subtle) graduation of lights on one side, and darks on the other, until they meet in the middle and create the contrast. Theory seems good, what do you think the best way to tackle it is in practice?
I'm just scumbling a little white - or paler version of the colour - up to the borders on the light side, and painting along dark edges a bit darker and blending back into the larger dark mass.

Richard - coming along well - you're really getting all the variations in rocks and clouds - I can see that you're also working informed by the image manipulation capabilities of Photoshop. I like the combination of old and modern tools.

Dave

guillot
03-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Just think how great it will be when you get to see each other again, most people don't get to experience that intensity when they are always together.

This is true. :)

Thanks Dave.

Well - my rocks suck :D But, I believe I'm about finished with it. Just a bit of tweaking here and there. Everyone is doing so well!!! I just can't seem to "get into" this one anymore- so I'm tiring of it. But here is an update:

Tina

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2004/5957-final_stages_inside1.jpg

Nickel
03-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Just to clarify my comment about contrast,
Dave

Thanks, I needed clarification. You put a lot of work into figuring out those brushstrokes. Good Job!

Nickel

Rosic
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
WOW Tina!... I like yours better than the original!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

Nickel... you are making great progress.

Hope to work on mine some more this week.

Bern

WV.Artistry
03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Well - my rocks suck :D But, I believe I'm about finished with it. Just a bit of tweaking here and there. Everyone is doing so well!!! I just can't seem to "get into" this one anymore- so I'm tiring of it. But here is an update:

Richard your rocks look great. :)

Thanks, the knoll underpainting was painted, but the knoll glaze was knifed -- it's applied Rembrant hacking.. makes some textures believable because of the manipulation of chaos for purposeful accidents for the intent of controlled creation.

In English.. Tina, you might try a palet knife in parts of your rocks with a tiny dab of paint, then smear it, i.e., shadows. It makes em' jump.

guillot
03-22-2004, 07:58 AM
Thank you Nickel, Bernie and Richard. Normally, I would have done the rocks with a palette knife in that manner, but I thought I could get away with just a brush :D No need Richard to "break it down to English" for me, LOL. Nickel - looking great!

Tina

artbabe21
03-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Tina...love how yours is turning out! SO MAJESTIC!! :clap:

Great work everyone!! :D

guillot
03-22-2004, 06:06 PM
:cool: Thank you Cathleen :)

jhodyl12
03-22-2004, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone. It’s been a few days since I posted but that is mostly because I didn’t get much done. I have an order from ASW that includes Liquin that I was waiting to be delivered but as it will be a few more days till it gets here I broke down and went to the store and got some Gamblin Galkyd.

I have been having trouble (big trouble) with the mid-ground rocks coming through the clouds (mist); I have painted them and wiped them off about 3 times now. I was wondering how everybody else has been painting this area. Under painting with glazes over it or more of a straight application? I spent about 2 hours tonight and except for getting a deeper rich color green on the jacket nothing I did looks good. I am thinking of painting over the rocks and starting those over again.

Another question: My canvas is a 16 X 20, what size brushes do you think would be good for working in details such as shadows and highlights?

I think everybody has made great progress :clap: and I am way behind. :( Tina, I love the last picture you uploaded of yours, it has a great sense of depth and rich colors… and R601020, those are some great looking rocks, I think I will start using your picture as the reference.

**James.

guillot
03-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I have been having trouble (big trouble) with the mid-ground rocks coming through the clouds (mist); I have painted them and wiped them off about 3 times now. I was wondering how everybody else has been painting this area.

Hi James. I painted in all the clouds, and the rocks in the background first. You really have to "fluff up" the clouds - I do this by laying in the shape, taking a clean dry fan brush (or a soft flat clean and dry will work) and gently brushing the shape up, and then across - add some more clouds and do the same thing. I did the sky all at one time, wet into wet (a gentle touch is the trick or you'll smear all the colors together :D ) I worked more on the "misty" areas after this area was dry. You can take some of that galkyd and some white with a small touch of blue, (kinda like a jelly consistency) and scumble in the misty areas - blend it (up and across with a clean dry brush) or wipe it with a clean cloth until you have the mist as you like it.

Another question: My canvas is a 16 X 20, what size brushes do you think would be good for working in details such as shadows and highlights?

I used sables - small flats, a filbert, and a script liner for the tiny grasses. Mine is on a 16 x 20 also.

Don't know if that helped you or not. Thanks for the comments too. :)

Tina

Zarathustra
03-23-2004, 03:34 AM
Some good tips there Tina.
James, you might find it easier to paint your rocks and then paint the clouds overlapping the edges. Brush size - I'm using a no. 10 bright and a no. 1 bright. Little and large. :)

Tina - I love the rocks and swirling mist. Everything is so vibrant and dynamic. Very nice!!

WV.Artistry
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
James

I have a couple of hundred dollars worth of half-used bottles of different mediums that I consider worthless. After experimenting with a "cheap", hardware/paint store varnish, I now use *dull* and I'm never going back.

"American Artist" magazine, last autumn, had a demo using amber varnish and a hypothesis re: Flemish style. Use paint grind instead of gesso as you go, and the varnish speeds drying so you can almost immediately begin to layer paint.

Using dull varnish bypasses the problems with gloss-back inequalities you get with art store mediums. And, if you need to use thinner or rag-wipes on a part to get a technique, it *will not be a noticeable conflict* re: finish.

Hope that helps.

I'm approaching the middle-earth rocks as being three groups of visability and focus. The mud I purposely created is perfect for the farthest group and can be splashed on the trees. The group on the right, has a minute but distinct tinge of light sky blueish for highlights.. I did the best I could with the prominent group but they still remind me of glowing potatos :)

Some of the problems I'm still having is understanding and trying to accomplish the direct (mid-upper-left to fanned to lower-right) and then reflected/refracted light sources. It's the light bouncing off the mists (from rightish to leftish-upward) that gives the parts of middle rock groups their "glow".

Ugh!!!! And I believe that's how he cooked his potatos.

I'll work on it some more tonight and tomorrow, then I'm heading up to Savanna for a couple of days.

Have fun.

And thanks to everyone for their posts. Each of your works helped me with mine.

DLGardner
03-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Look at you folks painting and posting.
I'm been slothing off. But I haven't forgotten. I promise I will paint some more today and post this evening.

You folks are doing wonderful!! Everyone. My mind is boggled because I just don't see it...I mean I was under the impression that Freidrick was a loose painter. I now know differently.

Dianne

DLGardner
03-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Had time this morning to work on mine.
Sorry about the glare

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/8002-Fred.jpg

Here's a close up of the rocks.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Mar-2004/8002-Fredr.jpg
Dianne

artbabe21
03-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Beautiful work Dianne! I wish I could paint that fast! Perhaps I will SOON buckle down....... :)

guillot
03-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Hi Z, thank you so much for the support ;) Your'e great.

R601 - Would that be Savanna GA?

Dianne - WOW, such lovely work, and you're style always comes shining through everything that you do - it's just fantastic :D !!

Hi ((Cathleen)) !! :cat:

Everyone is doing GREAT !!!!! :clap:

Tina

Nickel
03-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

James keep working on that mid-ground group of rocks. I know all about mistakes in color and techniques, wrong brushes, etc. You'll get the rocks and clouds to where you like them.

I painted my rocks and will fill in with clouds toward the end of the painting.

Dianne, hi, your painting, I think the clouds and rocks are just wonderful. You have a real spiritual grasp of nature which Fredrich shows. Very good job!

Hi Cathleen, thanks for your support. This painting, my 1st master, has been a real learning experience.

Hi, Rosic, thanks for the support.

I am going to work on the rocks tomorrow and try what Dave found out about the shading. Right now my foreground rocks are a freaky-freaky Halloween orange :crying: .

Best Regards
Nickel

jhodyl12
03-23-2004, 10:14 PM
Hello everyone, I want to thank you for all the support and information. I think one of the things that was giving me a lot of problems was I was using a no. 8 flat when trying to add in some detail to the rocks. I think that’s because it is one of my nicer brushes, a Winsor & Newton Monarch. It feels nice to paint with but the no. 8 is a little big for job.

Thanks,
James

Rosic
03-24-2004, 08:43 AM
I've been running into problems too!
Only one though....
PROCRASTINATION!

dcorc
03-24-2004, 09:09 AM
I've been running into problems too!
Only one though....
PROCRASTINATION!

I haven't even started to procrastinate yet!

Dave

Rosic
03-24-2004, 09:13 AM
I haven't even started to procrastinate yet!

Dave
:D :D ROTFLMAO!!!! :D :D

Dianne...
I just noticed your latest... Looks great... your style is coming through. I like the composition you chose.

dcorc
03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Finished!

Final version of my copy of MOM3. 16x20ins alkyds on board.

Don't think I want to do anything further on this. Just done adjustments to rocks, trousers, and mid-ground mists.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/30792-dcfred6.jpg

I hope somebody's going to cheer up that miserable dude by loaning him a surfboard! :eek: :p

Dave

DLGardner
03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
Wow! This is really good Dave! You certainly captured that misty feeling. Excellent job. Not far from the original at all. :clap: :clap:

Dianne

jhodyl12
03-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Great job Dave!!!! :clap:

When I first pulled up this page I wanted to know how somebody got such a great looking picture of the original picture... Very nice work.

You've inspired me :D I can't wait to get home and take another stab at those rocks with the new (smaller) brushes I got today during my lunch break.

**James.

guillot
03-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Excellent Job Dave!!!!!! Very nice. You've captured the atmosphere and the rocks wonderfully.

Tina

DLGardner
03-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm done too.

Its been fun...looking forward to next month.

One thing I learned-When I first started this project I didn't like the painting that much and now, after the project, I see it as a really beautiful painting. Interesting! This could be called the Art Appreciation thread!

Dianne

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2004/8002-Fred3.jpg

Nickel
03-24-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow Dave.....you have accomplished a stunning master piece. Bravo on a job well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nickel

Nickel
03-24-2004, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=d_garden]

This could be called the Art Appreciation thread!

Dianne

[QUOTE=d-garden]

I agree 100%, this painting is a real case study in complexity. I have found it a challenge to make this painting both a beautiful and a melancholy mood at the same time.

Dianne, you did a beautiful job!

Bravo on your accomplishment. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nickel

dcorc
03-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the very generous comments, folks!!

Looking back over the last 2 or 3 pages to see how everyone's coming along:

Tina - your's looks pretty well complete, and great. - love the sky

Nickel - rapid development there, I like the way your rocks are going.

Richard - interesting use of palette knife on the rocks

Cathleen - thanks for continuing to cheer us all on!!

James - keep on going! To answer your questions (I thinks similarly to the comments from others) I painted my midground rocks and then scumbled mainly greys and white on top for the clouds, several layers. I ended up using mainly 3/16 and 3/8 synthetic flats (a bit more springy than sable, but quite a bit softer than bristle)

Dianne - dynamic version! It's interesting to discover aspects of the painting one hadn't noticed before, due to the process of copying it, appreciation indeed.

Bernie, Z - looking forward to seeing how you're both getting on.

now I've just got to go back and try and finish off February!

Dave

Rosic
03-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Bravo Diane and Dave!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
EXCELLENT on both accounts!

Nickel... yours is progressing quite well.

Hope to finish mine this weekend. I spent my day off today working on a portrait of fun2cook for the portrait exchange thread.

Bern

artbabe21
03-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Bravo Diane and Dave!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
EXCELLENT on both accounts!

Wow! I QUITE agree! How I wish I had done this one as I see these beautiful results coming in.....but it was not to be this month.

Bern....I looked around your web site and it's quite impressive, especially the step by step charcoal of that nude---simply elegant!! :)

WV.Artistry
03-25-2004, 12:02 AM
For those of you in the Central Florida Area -- my w/i/p copy might be on the Channel 6 News tomorrow (Thursday) evening.

In my 1.5 seconds of fame, painting my copy at a local coffee house in trade for joe, I told them a little about what we were doing.

If there's ever a next time.. I promise to shave, to look respectable before being on television :) But since I'm not photogenic, the probability of me being cut from the segment is high anyway. I think the unfinished painting, however, might just make it in a shot..

We'll see, ey?

DLGardner
03-25-2004, 12:09 AM
For those of you in the Central Florida Area -- my w/i/p copy might be on the Channel 6 News tomorrow (Thursday) evening.

r601020 (you have a name too?)
That is tooo cool! You're going to make us all famous! Wish I were in Flordia. Let us all know how it went!

Dianne

WV.Artistry
03-25-2004, 01:13 AM
r601020 (you have a name too?)
That is tooo cool! You're going to make us all famous! Wish I were in Flordia. Let us all know how it went!

Dianne

Richard + 1960,10,20 = r601020

DLGardner
03-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Richard + 1960,10,20 = r601020

thnx
:)

Zarathustra
03-25-2004, 03:11 AM

In my 1.5 seconds of fame, painting my copy at a local coffee house in trade for joe, I told them a little about what we were doing.

If there's ever a next time.. I promise to shave, to look respectable before being on television :) But since I'm not photogenic, the probability of me being cut from the segment is high anyway. I think the unfinished painting, however, might just make it in a shot..

We'll see, ey?

Wow! What a claim to fame that would be. Nice going!

Rosic
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Bern....I looked around your web site and it's quite impressive, especially the step by step charcoal of that nude---simply elegant!! :)
Why thank you Cathleen! You are such an encourager! :angel:

Richard... you're making us all proud and famous! :D

WV.Artistry
03-26-2004, 11:13 PM
copying Caspar David Friedrich is a paint in the appreciation :)

needs a few tweaks, but I can't fix some things without starting over. There's too much microscopic detail in the background that I wasn't aware of when I started. So, I'm leaving it on a doorstep in Savanna with a note.. "please give me a good home".

guillot
03-27-2004, 09:21 AM
It looks wonderful!!!!!

How did your moment of fame go? Great I hope.

I agree, definitely a painting to appreciate!! I second thought this one, and I'm glad I went ahead with it. I know I will not be participating in next months, but will definitely be along for May. Who has the lead on next months? Matt? I need to PM him :D

Everyone has some beautiful paintings coming along!!!!!

Tina

WV.Artistry
03-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Richard, could you explain on this a little more ...

Nickel

Sure, I'll try to write it up and e-mail it to you. But in the mean time, you can see if any art organization, studio, gallery, etc., or your library carries the "American Artist" magazine, and look for issue December/January.

http://www.myamericanartist.com/

Nuts & Bolts: "Lost Secrets" of Painting Rediscovered
January 01, 2004
Artists have long speculated on the materials and techniques used by the Old Masters as they try to duplicate the appearance of paintings by Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer, or Van Dyck. Now Donald C. Fels Jr. has produced evidence of the secrets of the Flemish masters, publishing them in a 386-page book along with an English translation of a 17th-century manuscript on the craft of painting.

Or, go here and see if they'll give you a reprint from the article (not the ad).

The Alchemist Incorporated
http://www.amberalchemy.com/

Rosic
03-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Hey everybody... here is my finished version of this month's project. I finally got a chance to paint a few hours last night and put the "walking stick" in this afternoon as the crowning touch.

What did I learn from this piece? :)
At my experience level... every second spent and brush stroke stroked is a learning experience. I enjoyed working wet-in-wet and especially enjoyed working on the rocks. This work was also a chance for me to learn depth. It was good practice painting vastness... ie foreground, middleground, and background. I think the most rewarding part of it was spending time with you all... my friends. I especially was happy to meet new faces who came on-board with this month's project. The camaraderie we share is priceless! Z... you did a great job at getting this one underway for us... thanks!
Bernie

after Caspar David Friedrich ”The Wanderer” aka "Willie Wonka's Hike"
11x14 oil on gessoed masonite
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2004/17108-mommarchfinished.JPG

close up of Willie Wonka
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2004/17108-mommarchfinishedclose.JPG

DLGardner
03-29-2004, 01:02 AM
Bernie, what a lovely job! :clap:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on all the points of learning that you listed and especially the friendship one! What a joy to learn and grow with other artists here at WC. This MOM project is such a place for that. Look forward to working with you on the next one.

Dianne

WV.Artistry
03-30-2004, 01:59 PM
finis

guillot
03-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Bernie!! Outstanding job!! Thanks too for sharing what you have learned from doing this. Definitely a new appreciation that I have for this painting as well.

R601... Beautiful!!

Tina

WV.Artistry
03-31-2004, 07:16 AM
But nestling at his right foot in a crack in the crags, and wrapped in the same green cloth as his suit, is what can surely only be a bottle of a decent single malt :)
Dave

I was thinking about renaming this painting to "Dang it.. There Goes My Hat!" But since Dave got to the beer first.. I'm running with "Dave's Not Here".

Thanks for the compliments, and comradory(sp?). I hope to particpate with the Raphael month because I learned something from all of you -- thanks for the posts.

Richard

Zarathustra
03-31-2004, 01:26 PM
It's the end of March already? Is that an April Fool's joke - I mean where did it go?! :eek:
I've been following this thread on a daily basis and it's been great to watch the progress and all the different styles that have unfolded. With great sadness I have not had the time to work on my version, and so I'm only at the nearly completed rock stage, not that much progression on my previous post. However, I swear on Caspar's grave, that this will be complete, even if it has to take a bit of a backseat for a little while! :mad:

Thanks to everybody who's participated, and of course, the thread will remain open (right Tina?), so people can continue to post updates in the weeks or months to follow. ;) :cool:

guillot
04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
Fantastic work Z!!!!!!! :clap: Love your work in the rocks!!!

Yes, this thread will remain open. In a few days, Cathleen will remove the sticky so that it can flow on - but the thread will be open for posting of course.

I'm off for a couple of weeks and will only be around minimally. Matt's kicked off April's MOM - we're all on schedule and how fantastic.

Can't wait to see the finished paintings here. I'm not participating in the April MOM - just too much going on personally, but will definitely be around for May. (Or, er, maybe I'll just start on May's early :evil: )

Everyone BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAVE :) :angel:

Tina

guillot
04-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Is everyone finished????? :)

Tina

Zarathustra
05-17-2004, 03:46 AM
This was in today's news, so I thought I'd share it.

Caspar painting sold at auction (http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1218338,00.html)

Newly discovered Friedrich to be sold at auction

Maev Kennedy, arts and heritage correspondent
Monday May 17, 2004
The Guardian

A collector described as "a savvy amateur" will never see his greatest hunch come good.
The filthy battered painting he found in a small German auction room has been authenticated as a previously unknown masterpiece by the 19th-century German painter Caspar David Friedrich.

It will be sold at a Sotheby's auction next month estimated at up to £600,000 - but the collector died a week ago.

Friedrich is best known for haunting snow scenes, including the Winter Landscape in the National Gallery in London, known to millions as one of the gallery's best selling Christmas cards.

Sotheby's expert Claude Piening said the collector had a remarkably good eye, but had never found anything as spectacular as the scruffy painting, with two rips in the canvas, labelled only "19th-century German romantic school". He paid a few thousand pounds for it, and took it to one of the greatest experts on Friedrich's work. Helmut Borsch-Supan has concluded that although there is no record of the picture, "the hand, palette, motif and artist's materials raise an attribution to Friedrich beyond all doubt".

It is an exceptional rarity, never restored, still on its original stretchers and in its original frame, though there is no record of where it has been since the artist died in 1840.

Friedrich was born in 1774 in Greifswald, then in Sweden. His paintings of northern scenes are prized. Despite the desolate setting with the two hunters dwarfed by a frozen landscape, Mr Borsch-Supan says 19th-century viewers would have spotted the little patch of brightening sky at the top. "This signal, recognisable by those prepared to believe in hope, is found in many of Friedrich's paintings."

The collector did live long enough to hear his hunch vindicated; his widow is now selling the painting.

Eugene Veszely
05-17-2004, 12:08 PM
We all dream of finds like that...or at least I do!! :)

guillot
05-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi Z !! Like your tinyhead :)

I really like that painting!! What a treasure to find.

Tina