PDA

View Full Version : Got any questions?

jackiesimmonds
02-28-2004, 07:37 AM
When clearing up the studio today, I came across all the artwork I did for my Pastels Workbook, which has 10 "lessons" in it. I would be happy to show some of these lessons, if anyone would like that ...
here are some of the subjects:
1. Making Marks - linear; side strokes;blending; broken colour
2. First Steps in shape and form
3. Colour basics : warm and cool, complementaries, harmony
4. Still Life background
5. Creating the Illusion of Space (landscape)
6. Tackling perspective problems
7 Water and Skies

If anyone desperately wants one of these, just shout.

J

ArtsiePhartsie
02-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Jackie...you are such a sweet lady! I bought your book and found it extremely helpful. I hope anyone with any questions takes you up on your kind offer here..

~Artsie

MonicaB
02-28-2004, 09:01 AM
That's very kind, Jackie. I'd personally love to see Colour Basics. And anything else you feel like sharing!

Spyderbabe
02-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Oh yes... color blending and making marks to start.

Artaholic
02-28-2004, 10:13 AM
Jackie, I just recieved your pastel book from North Light and am finding a lot of good things in it. I am looking forward to any thing you would care to share here with us. :)

lozz
02-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! :D

Jackie that's very kind!

I'm pretty new to pastels and pretty new to art really. I would love to know more about :

7. Water and Skies

best wishes

lozz

Kathryn Wilson
02-28-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi Jackie: I'm sure the forum would be more than pleased to see all of these - thanks for sharing!

For me, personally, 4, 5 and 7 would be most helpful!

You're a peach!

Khadres
02-28-2004, 11:00 AM
Jackie,

Hey! Anytime a pro artist offers to share their expertise, a group like this should jump at the chance! And since there are so many newbies or near-newbies through here all the time (including ME), I would imagine ANY of those you'd have the time and energy and inclination to share would be MOST welcome! Obviously, you wouldn't want to short-circuit sales of your book, but if you could give us abbreviated versions, perhaps?

I just bought the Collins book with the Venice painting on the front (okay, I'm still half asleep here--and don't have it here beside me! :D), and it's a teasure trove of information! I should get this other one, as well, next time I'm surfing for books!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge both now and in the past! I've always said that visual artists are among the most generous when it comes to sharing their hard-earned talents! You're just proof of that!

jackiesimmonds
02-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Sooz - the book you bought, Pastels Workshop, does have plenty of info, and is for beginners and improvers -however the one I am talking about in this thread, which is Pastels WorkBOOK, is more for beginners to the medium.

Everyone else - I will get to some of those lessons shortly. Keep watching the threads. In the meantime, you can always start by looking at these:

A still life with fruits:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57331

Broken Colour technique:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60061

Van Gogh practice in pastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64210

A suggested sequence for painting with pastels:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111546

I know that some of you may have seen these before, but there are plenty of newbies on these boards who won't have done so.

Hope there are those out there who find these helpful. Will be back with one or two of the others in due course, I will wait and see which are the most popular.

Jackie

binkie
02-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles Perera
02-28-2004, 06:48 PM
That is a capital idea Jackie. It is very generous on your part and we surely look forward to them.

Charles

E-J
02-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Jackie, you've often recommended Pastels WorkSHOP over Pastels WorkBOOK because it features a variety of artists' work besides your own - but I have to say, I am very very fond of the WorkBOOK. It's a simple, clear and accessible introduction to pastels and really helped me to get started in the medium last year. I read WorkSHOP quite a few years ago but for some reason none of it would 'stick' ... I should imagine this is more a case of the teacher only appearing when the student is ready or some such zen-like thing, rather than any reflection on the material in the book, but I do find that WorkBOOK strips things down to the essentials in an extremely helpful way. Any of the lessons from it would be a valuable addition to the forum!

PegR
02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Jackie, you're so kind--for a beginner like me, anything you take the time to share is greatly appreciated.

I've got your workbook, and I've learned lots, but I still have lots more to learn!

Thanks a bunch!

Peg

jackiesimmonds
03-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Jackie, you've often recommended Pastels WorkSHOP over Pastels WorkBOOK because it features a variety of artists' work besides your own - but I have to say, I am very very fond of the WorkBOOK. It's a simple, clear and accessible introduction to pastels and really helped me to get started in the medium last year. I read WorkSHOP quite a few years ago but for some reason none of it would 'stick' ... I should imagine this is more a case of the teacher only appearing when the student is ready or some such zen-like thing, rather than any reflection on the material in the book, but I do find that WorkBOOK strips things down to the essentials in an extremely helpful way. Any of the lessons from it would be a valuable addition to the forum!

Thanks a lot for this EJ, yes, the workbbook is very much for the beginner and holds by the hand a lot more than Workshop, which IS instructional but not in quite the same way, it is meant to inspire more than hand-hold. However....I have to say that in terms of sales, Workshop has outsold Workbook, so what do I know!!

Jackie

Cheena K
03-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Yes, Pleeeeeeeeeze!!!

teangna
03-01-2004, 12:09 PM
When clearing up the studio today, I came across all the artwork I did for my Pastels Workbook, which has 10 "lessons" in it. I would be happy to show some of these lessons, if anyone would like that ...

If anyone desperately wants one of these, just shout.

J

Yes, I would very much,

Thank You, Teangna

lawsportraits
03-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Oh!Oh! I'd love to see your lesson on skies and water as i am now tackling a piece with *allot* of water in it. I am having particular difficulty in deciding what blue/green to use. The painting involves a young girl and her wheaten terrier pup playing on a pebble, sand and stone beach. Lots of stones :(

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Heather

pampe
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
Jackie, my copy of the Collins WORKSHOP book came last week...is that the one you mean when you say workSHOP?

Thanks for this....BTW!!!

jackiesimmonds
03-02-2004, 04:13 AM
Jackie, my copy of the Collins WORKSHOP book came last week...is that the one you mean when you say workSHOP?

Thanks for this....BTW!!!

Yes, Collins produced the Workshop book, David&Charles produced the Workbook.
Hope you enjoy it!
Jackie

jackiesimmonds
03-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Oh!Oh! I'd love to see your lesson on skies and water as i am now tackling a piece with *allot* of water in it. I am having particular difficulty in deciding what blue/green to use. The painting involves a young girl and her wheaten terrier pup playing on a pebble, sand and stone beach. Lots of stones :(

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Heather

Heather, do send me a pm with your image reference, and a pic of the image so far, and I will give you some specific help if I can. My "lesson" on water from the book may not go far enough for you, it is only a simple example.

Your description involves the ground beneath the water, by the sounds of things, and you may not have a lot of blue and green in there at all, in fact, because water is, essentially, transparent, and when it is very shallow, the "colour" of the water is dramatically affected by whatever is on the "bottom". It is only deep water which shows as rich blue, or green, really, or perhaps there might be bluish areas where the sky is reflected. This is, however, quite a generalisation and I would need to see your reference material.

Jackie

Donie
03-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Jackie

I am new to the group and saw your offer. I really could use some help with
4. Still Life background

I do very little landscapes because I find them so frustrating. I hope you can help me. :confused:

Donie

lawsportraits
03-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Thank you so much Jackie, that is so very kind of you :) I will take a digi and send it to you some time today.

Thank you, thank you, thankyou ;) :) I really appreciate this as I have only ever tackled water once before. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I spend allot of time just looking at what i've done so far and can't seem to put pastel to paper. You are so right, i do see allot of what's under the water as well as the reflection cast by the little fluff ball wheaten pup.

Heather ;)

MKathleen
03-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Jackie Hi, you are very generous to do this for us and I'd love 'Still Life' background. I have a feeling we'll get to see all of them with the requests your getting. :clap:
Kathy

chewie
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
oh-oh, 5 & 7, 5 & 7!!!! and thanks so much, how kind of you! i too am working on some water now, someone else mentioned that. and i love doing landscape, and learning more on arial stuff would be great!!

jackiesimmonds
03-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Jackie Hi, you are very generous to do this for us and I'd love 'Still Life' background. I have a feeling we'll get to see all of them with the requests your getting. :clap:
Kathy

Yes, have waited a while to see the most popular, but it seems pretty general! Well, I may have to do potted versions of most of them, in due course, and anyone who wants to see more ... you will have to buy the book if you can find it!

J

jackiesimmonds
03-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! :D

Jackie that's very kind!

I'm pretty new to pastels and pretty new to art really. I would love to know more about :

7. Water and Skies

best wishes

lozz

Lozz - as you are UK based, have a look in your library for PASTELS WORKBOOK, published by David & Charles, written by me. You may well find it, and it will have all of these for you to look at, in full, rather than the potted versions I may post here.

J

jackiesimmonds
03-03-2004, 04:10 AM
Jackie

I am new to the group and saw your offer. I really could use some help with
4. Still Life background

I do very little landscapes because I find them so frustrating. I hope you can help me. :confused:

Donie

Donie, my Lesson on landscape painting, in the book, is 17 pages long, so obviously all I will be offering here is a tiny section with a few illustrations. If you are new to painting generally, you need much more comprehensive help, and you will get lots of it from a good art instruction book. If you cannot find my book, then I really recommend that you search out others in your library, or, if you can afford it, via Amazon. Study the books, learn all you can about the basics, and then you will start to find your landscapes much less frustrating.

J

rafi
03-03-2004, 06:13 AM
I would like to see nos 1 and 5.

With no 1, even though I am not a total newbie it would always be good to see basic technique from a pro and maybe increase my vocabulary.

Rafi