PDA

View Full Version : Swallowtail Butterfly

Leaflin
08-21-2001, 09:54 PM
Here is my fist entry to the Alternative mixed Media Project.
I used handmade paper, dyed paper, pistachio shells, feathers, bark, yarn and a Swallowtail Butterfly I found just after he decided not to journey on anymore.
It is more of a tribute to the butterfly and I am sure will not hold up to the test of time.
But I had fun doing it!
It is aprox 18x18 on foamboard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Aug-2001/MM1.jpg

colorme
08-21-2001, 10:19 PM
Hey Leaflin,

I like it, it's very creative and the use of a real butterfly is great. It looks fun:) I think you did a great tribute.

sassybird
08-22-2001, 01:01 PM
Leaflin,

Your use of the yarn, handmade paper and the nut shells really made this butterfly pop out. People have had butterfly collections for years. I would suggest that you check into how they preserve them, and take measures to preserve this piece. It is so eye catching and has a wonderful natural quality about it. You did great, gal! :clap: :clap:

paintfool
08-22-2001, 01:46 PM
BIG grin! This is so fun! What a befitting tribute to such a beautiful creature..... I've looked at it several times over the past day and it brings a smile to my face each time. :)
Cheryl

Leaflin
08-23-2001, 03:31 PM
Thank you Colorme, Sass, & Cheryl.
This really IS fun isn't it.
I have enjoyed looking at everyone's work and all the creativity that is popping out.

I will check into that Sass.

Gotta tell you guys a story!
When my Dad was in the hospital Mom and I were helping him get his things together to come home.
The nurse removed the IV and was throwing the tubing from the drip in the garbage.
Mom said to the nurse "Oh don't throw that out. It is perfect for an art project I'm working on"
Talk about found objects! :D

Bracero
08-26-2001, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by leaflin
Here is my fist entry to the Alternative mixed Media Project.
I used handmade paper, dyed paper, pistachio shells, feathers, bark, yarn and a Swallowtail Butterfly I found just after he decided not to journey on anymore.
It is more of a tribute to the butterfly and I am sure will not hold up to the test of time.
But I had fun doing it!
It is aprox 18x18 on foamboard.

A fitting memorial to the butterfly: very nice & evocative piece. Thank you.

If by test of time you meant the archival qualities of a butterfly, you might wanna get in touch with the entomology collection curators at a natural history museum. I pretty sure that wee beasties will eventually scarf up the butterfly if it's left untreated.

On the other hand, if you meant that it might not hold up aesthetically or artistically, too late! Once a work is let loose into the world it has an existence quite independent of the original creator. Along these lines, Auden said something to the effect that poetry is created in the gut of the reader.

You guys are inspiring me to try my hand at some kind of mixed media project. Right now I'm too antsy & distracted to sit down to paint or write whilst I wait for the first unemployment check to arrive. :crying:

Leaflin
08-26-2001, 04:03 PM
Thank you Bracero :)
I am glad you like it.
I hope you will have a go at a mixed media project.
Let yourself go and see where it leads!