PDA

View Full Version : how about signs??

timmjohnn
02-20-2004, 09:39 PM
you know, ive been thinkin again, mabe i could do some sign work also.
i have fiddled around with sign paint before and when thinned it runs smooth through my brush's..i love to paint and all but, i would realy like to generate some kind of extra income with these tools i have. mabe i could sell more signs than fine art. i think i will conduct an experiment..ill even lable it(signs vs fine art). has anyone else here ever tried signs of some sort?
...........tim

gazman
02-20-2004, 10:06 PM
you know, ive been thinkin again, mabe i could do some sign work also.
i have fiddled around with sign paint before and when thinned it runs smooth through my brush's..i love to paint and all but, i would realy like to generate some kind of extra income with these tools i have. mabe i could sell more signs than fine art. i think i will conduct an experiment..ill even lable it(signs vs fine art). has anyone else here ever tried signs of some sort?
...........tim

Hey mate reckon Henk can help you there he's a "signie".:)

Man...you gotta realise that all of what you say and think sounds cool...but signwriting is a trade...same as carpentry...you gotta at least do some years out there in the sign trade learning the ropes before you can make 'extra" income...why there are probably guys who ARE signwriters who use the airbrush to make their living.
I know a lot of signwriters here in Oz who use the airbrush in their signs and they are very good...they have to be...they gotta eat...they have computers for set out and manufacture and HUGE overheads....so mate..if you don't mind...I'll leave the signs to them.

I hear you mate...but if you think to much it will send you round the twist...just paint...that works.:)

Good onya...Gaz

timmjohnn
02-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey mate reckon Henk can help you there he's a "signie".:)

Man...you gotta realise that all of what you say and think sounds cool...but signwriting is a trade...same as carpentry...you gotta at least do some years out there in the sign trade learning the ropes before you can make 'extra" income...why there are probably guys who ARE signwriters who use the airbrush to make their living.
I know a lot of signwriters here in Oz who use the airbrush in their signs and they are very good...they have to be...they gotta eat...they have computers for set out and manufacture and HUGE overheads....so mate..if you don't mind...I'll leave the signs to them.

I hear you mate...but if you think to much it will send you round the twist...just paint...that works.:)

Good onya...Gaz
i knos a few things about signs.my father is a sign writer.while he also doe's fine art, his main thang is signs. i grew up helpin him but we didnt get along so well at the time so i quit him when i was 22 and went to carpentry.
i have about almost my whole life in signs as i am only 26yrs of age.
'all the signs i have helped to paint were all done freehand with a sign writers quilt. never seen those over heads though..anyway im not lookin to make a livin at it. i just want a lil extra income at painting..

timmjohnn
02-20-2004, 10:47 PM
i knos a few things about signs.my father is a sign writer.while he also doe's fine art, his main thang is signs. i grew up helpin him but we didnt get along so well at the time so i quit him when i was 22 and went to carpentry.
'all the signs i have helped to paint were all done freehand with a sign writers quilt. never seen those over heads though..anyway im not lookin to make a livin at it. i just want a lil extra income at painting..

i do some fiddles with the airbrush in signwork...made a few things for my family. i do like the way an airbrushed sign looks.. i also have a p;otter that vinle sign guy's use..i could use it for laying out some stuff with transfer film and it would be alot like frisket..i think ill experiment with it more before i jump int it and all..im just lookin at some of the possibilities.

timmjohnn
02-20-2004, 10:56 PM
SIGN WRITER'S QUELL'S...I HAVE FAT FINGERS....LOL

gazman
02-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Well Tim...sounds like you may have an avenue...with your dad's help maybe you can do some signs...you just gotta get that masking down and some paint effects and she'll be sweet.

Gaz

Penny220
02-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks to vinyl the profit in signs is down quite a bit. Few people want to pay you what you deserve because the vinyl down the road is so much cheaper. It sounds like your dad can help quite a bit. Since you are into carpentry you can create quite a niche with them by blending both. There are still a few that insist on a hand painted sign and lots of them are airbrushed. You can also hook up with a vinyl sign shop and do their airbrush work for them.