PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here. Questions on technique

Keith
08-19-2001, 10:30 PM
Hi. I'm new to webcanvas, 26, been drawing my whole life and have dabbled in acrylics. I really want to get in up to my elbows though.

I am interested in a variety of artistic styles, but I generally go for photorealism (see the portraits on my webpage for a sample of what I generally shoot for).

I am particularly fond of John Agnew and Guy Cohleach, and I am curious about their technique. John seems to use a lot of airbrush for shading which he then finishes off with brushes. Guy, to my knowledge, works exclusively with brushes. I am not about to get into airbrushing. If anyone has any specific opinions on their kind of art and how it might be accomplished with brushes, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Being primarily a pencil/ink artists and only having done a handful of paintings, I find paint to be incredibly intimidating. It all just seems so complicated. Ugh.

Thank you very much.

Keith Russell
08-20-2001, 11:42 AM
Welcome to Wet Canvas.

My students who have the easiest time learning to use the aibrush, have had at least some drawing experience, before taking my class.

The airbrush applies colour very similarly to coloured pencils, pastels, and graphite. Students with a background in painting seem to have a harder time learning apply colour using the airbrush.

Since you have a strong drawing background; you find airbrushing more accessable than you realize.

If you do decide to try airbrushing, I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might have. I've been airbrushing since 1983, and have taught classes in both basic and advanced-level airbrush techniques at the college level.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you, and again--

--welcome.

Keith Russell