PDA

View Full Version : Creating a poster site

Isabel
08-19-2001, 01:23 PM
I know that some of you sell your own work online, so maybe you can give me an opinion about my site.
I noticed that the well known poster sites don't sell many sport posters, I can't figure out why, maybe the publicity rights of athletes are very expensive, but they also sell Madonna itens, she mustn't be a cheap one... So I thought of building my own sports posters site, focusing on just a few sports at first.
I realized that it would be cheaper to print the posters myself using a laser printer, if anyone thinks that the quality of these prints isn't good enough, let me know about it. The maximum size of the posters has to be A3, I don't know if this isn't big enough.
I would like to know your opinion about printers, scanners, resolution of images, well, everything that one should think of before building such a site.
Thanks for your help
Isabel

TPS
08-21-2001, 01:57 PM
Well Isabel you must be rolling in cash. In order to do this legally in most places, you would need to negotiate the rights to print and sell these posters from every team or athlete. Sounds like a very expensive venture.

Isabel
08-21-2001, 06:10 PM
It is expensive, I still don't know exactly how expensive, but if the athletes agree in having a share of the price of the sold itens then maybe I can afford it. If they want it some other way, then I can't go on with the site. But the reason I wrote here was to have feedback as to the printing process, which is also expensive.

TPS
08-22-2001, 01:23 AM
Yes. The printing will have to be approved by them as to quality. imagery, etc. They may even require you to buy from printers they already deal with.

The contracts necessary will have to specify alot of details as to numbers printed, sales, net earnings, time frames, etc. etc. You should have an attorney familiar with these kinds of licensing deals. If it isn't done correctly, you could go to alot of trouble and effort and still not make any profit.

This is a very specialized and tricky field; which may be why you don't see it being done.

erico
08-23-2001, 04:23 AM
I would tend to think that not only would you need approval of the individual athlete, but the team for which they play and the league would probably also have some say in the matter. I would tend to think that the sports industry is pretty much closed to outsiders as far as merchandising is concerned for that reason. That aside, color laser prints aren't ideal for photographic images. And unless you intended on printing a small number of these posters, a professional printer would probably be more cost effective. The printing would very likely be the least costly aspect of such a business.