PDA

View Full Version : Painting on leather skates

ausiland
08-19-2001, 01:08 PM
Hi, this is my first time here ( if you don't count when I tried to do this last night), and I have a question for everyone.

Is any special preparation required to paint on skates other than washing and sealing?

Thanks for any help. Bev

paintinpat
08-21-2001, 06:10 PM
HI and welcome. I have painted on leather skates and just cleaned well, sprayed with sealer and had a go at it. Mine were always for decoration only, I would tie the laces together so they could hang nicely and paint a snow scene on one and usually put welcome and a design on the other. I had a pair hanging on the fence as you came into my shop for about 2-3 years and I only took them down because I was tired of them. Even in the weather they held up nicely. Good luck, are you going to decorate them and use them to skate?

Pat

ausiland
08-26-2001, 04:06 PM
Hi Paintinpat: That's what I finally did. I'm not going to wear them, they're just for decoration. Good to know someone else prepared them the same way and it worked just fine.:)

tammy
09-25-2001, 12:51 AM
Can't resist responding to this thread. I actually had some old black roller skates and just for the heck of it I painted on em with acrylic just as they were. I skated in them too and that was years ago. The paint is still there just fine :D. I quit skating about 4 years ago when I had my first broken arm from roller blading. I had just learned how to do it too. :(
(In fact, it was my first broken bone ever and I'm 43.

leesmith
09-25-2001, 02:12 AM
Hey Aussie,

The August issue of Painting magazine had some painted skates! I've never seen them, but I think people will paintin on ANYTHING and WHY NOT?

Tammy,

I used to roller skate in the 80's and fractured my elbow. Last time I did skate was early 90's; if I could ever get slimmed down again I would love to take it back up; great fun and excercise; our rink played rock, pop, disco; and I loved to boogie dance on skates. Right now I'm so fat, my balance is off. Menopause sucks!:D

I've tried to lose, exercise; I'll lose 20 25 lbs and it stops FOR GOOD. Exercise makes me feel better but it doesn't take a lb off me. My 10 yr to 15 yr younger "friends" locals think I quit work and have let myself go; that I just sit around on my fat A ( it was always fat even when the rest of me was thin:p ) and eat non stop, that's not at all true. I have felt like a failure because of not being able to lose weight. Have been to Drs. to see if something wrong. Endocrinologist in 91 said I was "probably" hypothyroid by the tests but he said there wasn't anything to be done just get thyroid tested once a year which I did for the next 3, but always "in normal range".

I've lost weight before and I know how to do it; eat less and work out but that doesn't work now. I was walking 1 hr and 40 minutes for over 3 months, 6 days a week. Did I lose? Not one flipping lb, instead I GAINED 18! I was almost suicidal when I found that out. One of my friends, has been especially cruel to me; she was telling me how hard it was house painting, last time she painted she was 4 years younger and she is just 34 now. She was telling me how bad her neck, arms, legs, feet; hurt from painting. I said Rhonda, I do that stuff everyday. And this is the absolute truth, I do physically hard work that most women my age don't do, I do grunt work, and sweat like a pig. Gosh, now I got off onto diets. I have definitely spent too much time alone this week.:)