PDA

View Full Version : version

pat turcotte
08-19-2001, 11:08 AM
I'm submitting this for your comments, hopefully.
It's done with hatching, cross hatching and counter crosshatching, etc.
Pat

artdude
08-19-2001, 01:19 PM
Great ink drawing and watercolor Pat :clap: Could you post a detail of the ink drawing one? Would love to see some of the drawing close up. Thanks for posting :D

NorahT
08-19-2001, 07:40 PM
Really lovely - both of them!

I too would enjoy seeing the penwork close up if you can do this for us :)

RuthT
08-19-2001, 08:11 PM
Beautiful work Pat :)

viking57
08-19-2001, 08:21 PM
Pat,
you did a wonderful job here with this image. I agree, a detail of the head or neck area would be nice to see.
I'd really enjoy a close up of the hatching to see how it looks. I don't do much hatching at all and feel uncomfortable with it. It is wonderful to see an image that shows the superb results that can be achieved with that technique. BRAVO!!

geckonia
08-20-2001, 11:09 AM
I've never heard of watercolor overlay...What is it? And I second the request for a close up! I love this!:D

pat turcotte
08-20-2001, 11:49 AM
Thank you all for all the nice comments.
I'll show a more detailed version but will have to locate the photo. My scan was too low a res. and when I jpeged it it suffered. I'll see what I can do.
You asked about the watercolor overlay. Once you've finished the pen and ink (has to be india ink or tushe (sp) that you use in rapidograph pens which is waterproof) Then just wash over it with watercolor and either build your washes in transparent layers or use a semi-transparent color which you've mixed to your satisfaction on your palette. That's the reason I used 300 lb watercolor paper (cold pressed). Though this made the rapidograph part kind of annoying at time (paper sticks) it was nice to have the texture so you could drybrush pigment on if you chose once the black and white phase was over.
Hope this answers your questions.
At a wildlife art show I saw some wonderful scratchboard work where the artist had gone in with watercolor wash then scratched out highlights . Very realistic result. I'm eager to try it. I like reverse process so it appealed to me.
Pat

digistyle
08-21-2001, 01:07 AM
These are both fantastic pieces. I love the rendering of the horse's coat. Man, I just bought a set of pens. After seeing this I don't know whether to be inspired or to just leave the pens in their box;) !!

digistyle

pat turcotte
08-21-2001, 05:44 PM
I appreciate all the feedback you've given me. I found the photo of the original rapiograph. It's only a 4x6. I've not had much experience at scanning line art and know it's tricky business. After much monkey business I've come up with the attached close-up which is a bit out of focus but may give you a better look. It occured to me that the photo was probably not the best, knowing the slap-dash way I sometimes photograph work.
Without further adieu... check it out.
I'd mention, for those of you who've not tried rapiograph pens on watercolor paper, I found I didn't want to use the finest nibs. They wanted to stick in the paper and it's rather rough (cold pressed) I think most was done with an 0 or a 00. (the piece is 22x30)
pat

Earlene
08-21-2001, 11:19 PM
Pat this is awesome. It is truly beautiful.

artdude
08-22-2001, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by pat turcotte
I appreciate all the feedback you've given me. I found the photo of the original rapiograph.

Thanks for posting a close up Pat :) Did your line direction change with the contours of the horse as you were inking this? From the close-up it appears that is what you did.

pat turcotte
08-22-2001, 10:19 AM
The hatching does follow the hair direction and the contours of the musculature. (Years of brushing and currying help here). In shadow blocks I would use my finest nib, dilute my ink, hatch as close together as possible in a direction at an angle to the hair direction. I'd fill in that whole shadow area, trying to create an even grey value. (Rather like laying in a underpainting shadow wash in watercolor) Then I'd begin, with a larger nib, darker in and follow the direction of the hair, sort of fanning out as I moved down the neck..so the next go round I'd fill in more. (Kind of hard to explain)
I'm attaching a rapidograph/overlay I did when I first started doing them. It's a better close-up of the line work, but I was not being near so fastidious in this. Also, it's much smaller. Probably 7x9...not near the effort or need to be so fastidious as in the 22x30 where uneven areas are pretty visible.
Hope this helps.

artdude
08-22-2001, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the tip and explaination of your technique, Pat :) I never thought of diluting my ink to get some grey values. I will have to try that :D

Christie
08-23-2001, 02:04 PM
Absolutely stunning! I had never thought about combining pen and ink and watercolour, and cannot imagine why I didn't.

The detail on your horses is amazing.:clap: