PDA

View Full Version : Vetrofond -vs- Moretti

3SistersBeads
02-19-2004, 01:16 AM
I've never bought Vetrofond glass. I've bought a few different Lauscha colors but have stuck mostly to Moretti. Now, of course, I keep looking at the guy on eBay selling all that glass and he's got all colors of Vetrofond.

So, my question is: What's the difference? IS there a difference? Are the colors basically the same shades? If not, what colors do I just HAVE to have?

Thanks.

Leslie

Juliesprin
02-19-2004, 01:26 AM
I like Vetrofond. Black, ivory and dark ivory are staples for me. I like the way it works more than Moretti.

kbinkster
02-19-2004, 03:07 AM
I recently bought some dark ivory Vetrofond. And guess what! It looks like dark ivory! I am pleased with it so far. I also like the clear Vetrofond more than the clear Effetre. But, now that there is a good batch of Lauscha available in a manageable rod diameter, I am using the Lauscha clear.

As far as shades...Effetre varies from batch to batch. anyway, so I wouldn't even attempt to make an exact comparison. However, I think that the colors go by the same names.

beachbeads
02-19-2004, 03:39 AM
Cool glass, especially the transparent red,,,,but buy from Frantz Glass, the Ebay sellers are way to high in shipping cost. For $7.00 I can get many pounds of glass UPS from Frantz. Sheila

rosiescreations
02-19-2004, 06:45 AM
I buy from Islandglass! - Bill is very nice, you get your glass very fast.
I also buy from JO-DEL STAINED GLASS SUPPLY - Monique is very nice Too.
Both have great customer service. I am very happy with both!

Teri.p
02-19-2004, 07:14 AM
The light ivory is very nice - more of a french vanilla. But the black! I love it because it doesn't bleed the way Moretti tends to.

Teri

xoticbead
02-19-2004, 08:57 AM
I like all of the Vetrofond glass it's so much easier to work with than Moretti. It just seems "stiffer" so I am able to keep the ends of the beads with a nice "pucker" and keep them round instead of off center. The transparent red is to die for it stays red instead of going gunky on me
Liz

dillingham
02-19-2004, 10:05 AM
vetrofond had great transparent lavenders!!!! Bill from Island Glass is a quick shipper and great selection. Just ask if you don't see something you want, he has a huge amount that is not listed. :D :D

Dilly

HotGlassArtiste
02-19-2004, 10:11 AM
I love the Vetrofond clear. It is sparkling clear, and soft, really great for encasing. I also have the black and white, both great. Haven't tried any other colors yet though.

Moth
02-19-2004, 10:17 AM
vetrofond had great transparent lavenders!!!! Bill from Island Glass is a quick shipper and great selection. Just ask if you don't see something you want, he has a huge amount that is not listed. :D :D

Dilly

I second that! I have never asked him to tack anything onto my order that he didn't pull out of his back pocket. LOL I ordered quite a bit from him once, with some tools and all, and the shipping was only $8.00 priority mail and got to me in 2 days. I didn't feel I was overcharged, but I don't know what Frantz would have charged me. LOL I order from all over the place and have no real complaints with any of them. Jo-Del is awesome too!! Very friendly and helpful.

I use the vetrofond clear for encasing my smaller beads, but I use effetre clear stringers for encasing anything big. I can't see a difference in the end result. Nothing as sparkly as lauscha though. ;)

I need to get some of those vetrofond transparent colors. I would love to try that red. Hmmmmm... LOL

~~Mary

DebbieSue
02-19-2004, 12:11 PM
I got a Vetrofond assortment from some place. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it from. Had to be from one of the major internet suppliers because that's the only way I can get glass here. I haven't even opened it yet. But that might be a good way to experiment with different colors if you can find someone who offers an assortment. I'm going to have to open it soon and play with the Vetrofond. I've just been so busy playing with the Moretti...

Debbie

Juliesprin
02-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Has anyone heard from Bill Thornton at IslandGlass lately? He's not listing or responding to emails.

PattyK
02-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I think I read somewhere that Moretti and Vetrofond are basically the same glass? Is it possible to combine them?

AlexM
02-19-2004, 12:38 PM
In many respects Vetrofond is very similar to Moretti, right down to most colors. However, there are a few significant differences in color that are worth pointing out. The black and the dark ivory are different and I like them for different effects. I also LOVE the ochre batch that looks olive in the rod and melts to a dark amber/olive look.

Emily
02-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I think I read somewhere that Moretti and Vetrofond are basically the same glass? Is it possible to combine them?

Yes. Vetrofond was started by a member of the Moretti family after the Morettis sold their company to Effetre. I haven't encountered (or heard of) a Vetrofond color that didn't work well with Moretti. Many of the colors are very similar, but there are some that are different.

Must-have Vetrofond? Ochre a/k/a senape (which is Italian for mustard) a/k/a vomito del gatto (Italian for cat puke, but I mean that in a good way). My current favorite "so hideous I have to have it" color.

There's also a Vetrofond opaque green -- kind of medium dark -- that I like better than the Moretti greens. It's a little darker and not as yellow as the Moretti grass green. I think it's a better leaf color. Sorry, I can't recall the actual name.

Lampburke
02-19-2004, 03:08 PM
I spoke with Bill last week, he's doing fine, there is just an AWFUL lot of work to do at Mike's with all the Vetrofond and Moretti coming in. Then he goes to his own glass bid'ness and works..... Bill is one busy guy right now.

PattyK
02-19-2004, 03:55 PM
... vomito del gatto (Italian for cat puke, but I mean that in a good way).

Lol too funny! We have 5 cats so I can definitely relate to that color. :p

Thanks for the great Vetrofond info Emily. :)

mikefrantz
02-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Hello, My name is Johnny Cash! Just joking. I saw a special the other night and Mr. Cash always started out with saying his name, like, nobody knew who he was. Ok, now that I got your attention or have chased you away, I would like to answer any and all questions about Vetrofond.

The reason that I feel that I am qualified to answer many of the questions is because I have been to the Vetrofond factory in Italy a few times in the past year and have begun distributing their glass through my company and other distributers in the U.S.

What is the difference?
IS there a difference?
Are the colors basically the same shades?
If not, what colors do I just HAVE to have?

ANSWER: Carlos Moretti is the owner of Vetrofond Glass Company. Mr. Moretti was once the owner of Moretti, which changed its name to Asiro and then to the present name of Effetre. Vetrofond's main product line is blown lamp shades of many styles and colors. The same formulas that were used to make glass rods at Effetre and used to make glass lamp shades and glass rods at Vetrofond. The same formulas, and almost the same stock numbers are used. There are differences from one batch to another batch of the same stock number as we have grown to use, know, love and understand. So for the most part an Effetre 591-014 would be almost exactly the same as the Vetrofond 791-014, except when there is a difference as in batch dyes.
There are some differences though! As can be seen in some of the above testimonials, many like the quality of Vetrofond clear. The Light Ivory is like a French Vanilla and the Dark Ivory is darker than Effetre dark ivory. The black does act differently, most beadmakers and lampworkers like the way it works. When it comes to the rest of the colors, they tend to be the same as Effetre. The odd lots that we put into our catalog are not exactly what showed up, but some of it is great, the Petroleum Gren Pastel is exactly like the Effetre Mosaic Green, and the other stuff is cool. We are testing now.

Mike F

3SistersBeads
02-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Mike, for the lesson. I need to go back to Venice, especially since I broke a piece of my chandelier. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......................

Leslie

Jo-Del
02-20-2004, 05:31 AM
A boy named Sue, LOL!!
Welcome Back Mike!!
On the Vetrofond Verses Moretti..........All the prior comments on moretti verses vetrofond have about covered the MUST Have colors, ect.
(But) 1 difference I seem to notice in the vetrofond, If you are Working on a Hot Head or a Similar torch Like the Self Igniting Torches, The Vetrofond seems to melt a little easier, It's 104coe, Just Like Moretti, Totally compatible in every way, But does have that quailty, When we started carrying the vetrofond, we lined All the kids up in the family with those torches (and Protective Lenses) Yes!! And had a Bead making (Lets Compare the 2) session, we tried most of the colors along with the exact colors in the moretti line, It was a fun day for all my nieces and Nephews, 1 Brother and Myself, But we were looking for the differences in the glass and thats one thing we did come up with.
One Great advantage to having the Vetrofond in Our Country now is that when one color of the moretti gets low, you can always try and find that color in vetrofond, as time goes on, there should be as many colors in vetrofond as there is in Moretti!!
I hear Johnny cash is Pushing Hard for new colors In Vetrofond and They are coming in!! Especially Those **Must Haves** that have been so hard to Keep in Stock. Blessings to all!! Happy Lampworking!! Monique

mobilemargi
02-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Just as a point of clarification here--and also to second the emotions that some of you have stated--there seems to be the misconception being disseminated that Vetrofond is a NEW kind of glass that is just "hitting the stands" in the U.S. But in point of fact, Arrow Springs and probably other suppliers, have been carrying it as "Murano" glass for at least the four years that I myself have been making beads. Exactly when the name changed to Vetrofond, I cannot tell you--but this glass has been available here for some years already, just under a different name. And it DOES seem that new colors are appearing along with the name change, and that more suppliers are carrying it now.

I got hooked on the Murano--excuse me--Vetrfond clear four years ago when I discovered how awful most of my Moretti--excuse me--Effetre clear was. But then I discovered Lauscha clear, and have pretty much made the switch, except that I still have lots and lots of Murano/Vetrofond clear, and will reach for it when I can't reach the Lauscha--especially for some rods I have from an old shipment, that are a nice 3-4 mm. in size. The black is a blue, rather than a purple-based black, and it does NOT tend to bleed, or reveal its base color, as easily as Moretti black does.

The dark ivory is a dream color, and was a staple in my glass palette until suddenly, about a year ago, I couldn't find a rod of it ANYWHERE. I used it especially in making my "famous" (?) desert landscape beads, as it interacts with the pale turquoise sky colors much more wildly than any of the other ivories do, variegating to create fascinating skylines, wild little creatures, all sorts of interesting profiles at the tops of my mountains. Now I can finally get it again--and to tide me over, one of your posters whom I didn't even know sent me a pound of it when I posted here to BEG for some about three months ago, before any of the suppliers had any back in stock.

I have never, ever had a compatibility problem in mixing Murano/Vetrofond with Moretti/Effetre, since they are essentially the same glass, but with some color variations. A couple of years ago, I did order a bunch of Murano/Vetrofond transparents from Arrow Springs, including the purples, but at that time, I found the colors to be a bit "duller" than the equivalent Moretti purples. That may have changed now that the glass has become really "hot" in the bead world.

Anyway--order some and enjoy to your heart's content if you haven't tried it yet. I thought it might be useful to point out that this glass is NOT a new product, has been around for quite a while, and has stood the test of time--just under a different name. If you need clear and can't find Lauscha, Murano/Vetrofond is a much higher-quality substitute than Moretti, although I've found that it is just a MAGNET for dust and grease, and does need to be cleaned especially carefully before using!

Margi

mikefrantz
02-20-2004, 10:25 PM
Yea, Margi has a mouth full of correct info about Vetrofond. I would like to say a few things about the name. It is true the glass has been around for quite a while. It has been sold under the name Murano Glass, but this is not a name that was given by the manufacturer. This name was made up for one reason or another, perhaps to hide the real name or to make it sound more romantic, but whatever, it is Vetrofond.

So my story goes like this:

I go to the factory and I find lots of strange and weird colors, I point to this one and that one and tell them I want it all. I pull samples, test them in the studio of Lucio Bubacco and bring the samples home. We put them into our catalog and wait for the shipment. Well the shipment arrives, but some of the colors are not there and it looks like some I did not order turned up in my shipment. Many were in the wrong boxes, but we have been going through them and sorting them out. The brown red color that looks red and turns brown, now just want to stay red! There is one color that reacts just like the Mosaic Green, but no at Mosaic Green prices. There is this transparent yellow that I call Chardoney, but the name on the box was translated by Lucio Bubacco to say **** Yellow? No ****! But it is lovely. We are almost finished sorting them out and found an olive color that is nice. Of course we made stock numbers and discriptions based on what I saw and what I thought it would do, and now alot of the info is wrong, but the colors are great.

Next time, I pick and select these odd colors and then wait til I get them home, test them and then I put into the catalog. Something I remember about the cart before the horse, I think!

Mike Frantz

Shari T.
02-21-2004, 12:58 AM
So now that my head is spinning..........

Mike, when you go over there to the factory..

You go to the (now) Effetre' factory and then go to the (now) Vetrofond factory? When you're going to the Moretti factory....... you're going to the Effetre' factory, right?

No one has written or typed out a comprehensive guide to all of this yet? :eek: