PDA

View Full Version : The Beach

creative-spirit
02-18-2004, 07:41 PM
I worked on this for a few hours on Monday and Tuesday on my days off from work. About 10 hours altogether.
I am pleased with the finished painting.... :)
Even tho I know there are glaring faults with it..... :(
From a painting by another artist, but I have used a little artistic license with the background. More foliage in the original painting.
I cannot include the original as I borrowed it from a friend and had to return it today.
Any comments and help will be appreciated.

Dave...aka...creative-spirit.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/35993-Beachseamless.jpg

paulb
02-18-2004, 10:00 PM
Very nice - I actually quite like the background - creates a nice jungle feel to the picture! Only thing I'd comment in is that the man's ribs look a little bit flat. I'm sure there should be more darks from the spine and the top part of the buttock just to make it look rounder. Possibly one of the 'faults' you've already picked up on!

Any idea who painted the original?

hope that helps,

Paul.

Meisie
02-19-2004, 04:15 AM
I think it has many more things right with it that wrong. I really like it!
Meisie

creative-spirit
02-19-2004, 04:21 AM
Very nice - I actually quite like the background - creates a nice jungle feel to the picture! Only thing I'd comment in is that the man's ribs look a little bit flat. I'm sure there should be more darks from the spine and the top part of the buttock just to make it look rounder. Possibly one of the 'faults' you've already picked up on!

Any idea who painted the original?

hope that helps,

Paul.

Hi Paul, thanx for the encouragement and comments.
Yes there were a few more subtle mid toned shadows around the spine and the buttocks were a little more rounded. Those were a few of the glaring faults I picked up on myself. Sadly the original has gone now and I cant alter it from that. However I am going to put a few more shadows in from imagination....(very carefully)....just to give a better feel to it.
I love to see light and shadow in paintings and this is what attracts me to most of the subjects I choose to paint.
As a beginner with colored pencils I am still learning the techniques of this amazing medium and like so many who jave worked in oils and watercolors, I tended to dismiss cp's as a serious medium. What a mistake that was eh??....lol
Will update the painting when work and time allows, and will post the improvements here. Hopefully within the next few days.

creative-spirit
02-19-2004, 04:25 AM
I think it has many more things right with it that wrong. I really like it!
Meisie

Thankyou Maisie, that is very kind of you..... :)
I am improving I think and this is all down to people like you who give advice and encouragement.
Maybe someday I will reach an acceptable standard and even sell some of my efforts in this newfound medium.

Dave.

arlene
02-19-2004, 01:22 PM
check your email dave. :D

paulb
02-19-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi Paul, thanx for the encouragement and comments.
Yes there were a few more subtle mid toned shadows around the spine and the buttocks were a little more rounded. Those were a few of the glaring faults I picked up on myself. Sadly the original has gone now and I cant alter it from that. However I am going to put a few more shadows in from imagination....(very carefully)....just to give a better feel to it.
I love to see light and shadow in paintings and this is what attracts me to most of the subjects I choose to paint.
As a beginner with colored pencils I am still learning the techniques of this amazing medium and like so many who jave worked in oils and watercolors, I tended to dismiss cp's as a serious medium. What a mistake that was eh??....lol
Will update the painting when work and time allows, and will post the improvements here. Hopefully within the next few days.

You and me both...! I came from a background in pastels and am still trying to get used to the fact that I can't use my fingers...!