PDA

View Full Version : Water-soluble wax pastels

hamsterdance
02-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Finally got a set of 12 Caran D'ache neopastels I bought on EBay and am really liking them enough I now want the full set. I also got another 50 piece Holbein set and 24 set of Caran oil pastels. I started a small study of a Queen Conch shell with my new Holbeins and D'ache's. I also started a still life of a Nautilus with the water-soluble wax pastels. Is anyone else using these? They don't really feel like oil pastels but they're fun nonetheless.

I've put my horse oil pastel aside for the moment. I'm frustrated with it. Mainly because I didn't plan the composition well. The horse is in the left hand corner. I like it. It's by far the best oil pastel painting I've yet done according to my boyfriend but it's something I totally didn't expect. I'd originally started the horse as a very experimental piece to test out the clayboard surface. I never expected it to turn out to be something I'd actually like and want to keep.

Now I have not a clue as to what to do with the background. It's almost like trying to "reverse engineer" a painting because I can't think of any other subjects that will fit the theme and fit compositionally well with the horse. So I figured I'd take a break from it for the moment.

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Hi! I'm not clear on what you are calling water-soluble wax pastels - in your post you call them oil pastels - I think Mo. just got a set and is working with them - hope she will see this post and comment.

If you can, why not post your horse painting and let us help!

skintone
02-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Post the painting!! I can't wait to see it. I haven't found clayboard yet. All I can find is pastel board.

Glad you have more ops. I think you get more excited about the sticks then the paintings. :p J/K

hamsterdance
02-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Actually you're right Kyle. Caran calls them water-soluble wax pastels. They certainly don't feel like any other oil pastels I've tried. Closer to a crayon - although certainly better than any crayon I've ever used in the past. I like how fat they are. The washes are not as good as with watercolor but I expected that. You can definitely tell the pigment isn't ground as finely but I like the results nonetheless.

And yup - I get excited about my OP's. Having recently lost my entire set having some again makes me want to do handsprings.

p.s. I'll post the OP pic of the horse soon, plus others. Just try not to laugh too much when you see them. My poor ego would be crushed. :p

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 01:32 PM
p.s. I'll post the OP pic of the horse soon, plus others. Just try not to laugh too much when you see them. My poor ego would be crushed. :p

:eek: Oh my goodness, we never laugh - how could we, we all have been there - I laugh at my own work all the time, but never at others -

skintone
02-18-2004, 02:40 PM
And yup - I get excited about my OP's. Having recently lost my entire set having some again makes me want to do handsprings.

Trust me I was very sad for you when you lost your ops. I'm glad you got a great deal on a new set. I've resorted to picking them out stick by stick. Unfortunately I can't remember which ones I have, so I have to take them all to the store with me. ;)

Oh and we would never laugh.

sundiver
02-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately I can't remember which ones I have, so I have to take them all to the store with me. ;)

It's difficult when Holbeins have no labels, isn't it? I made a chart of my o.p.s, which I keep in my purse. So at the art store you see me with my chart, holding up pastels to it to see if I already have that color.

Are these water-soluble wax pastels different from Neocolor 11 watercolor crayons? I have some of those but don't use them much.

hamsterdance
02-18-2004, 03:48 PM
It's difficult when Holbeins have no labels, isn't it? I made a chart of my o.p.s, which I keep in my purse. So at the art store you see me with my chart, holding up pastels to it to see if I already have that color.

Are these water-soluble wax pastels different from Neocolor 11 watercolor crayons? I have some of those but don't use them much.

Yup,

These are different. They're Neoart Water-soluble Pastels. These are supposed to be Artist's quality while the Neocolor 2 are the student line.

Here's the link to the company website about them http://www.carandache.ch/colour_products/html/en/product_line/artists/index.htm (http://www.carandache.ch)

Mo.
02-18-2004, 04:50 PM
My hubby has just treated me to a full set of Caran D'ache neocolor water soluble pastels, so far I'm liking them a lot and the colours are exactly the same as Caran D'ache OP's, they can used with the OP's for creating different effects, they can be used dry or wet. I'm still playing around with them and experimenting to see what I can do with them, I have to justify the expense, they were not cheap by any means. :D

Mo.:)

sundiver
02-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks, hd and Mo! I find the Neocolor 11s good for face=painting and not much else. They're too hard for a pastel and I don't really like the effect when used as watercolor. I've never heard of the artist-grade ones.
Soooo, now my ears are up, and I want to hear all about them!

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the link to Caran d'ache! Funny tho' - I did not see their oil pastels listed anywhere.

Donn
01-02-2008, 09:21 PM
There's a big difference between Neocolor I and Neocolor II crayons and it's not that one is artist quality and the other student quality. They are both artist quality, according to Caran d'Arche. Neocolor I is non watersoluble and Neocolor II is watersoluble.
I have 20 of the Neocolor II and they are lovely to work with. I use them more as watercolor crayons than I do pastels.

Kathryn Wilson
01-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Moving this over to the Oil Pastel forum - heavens this one was from 2004! where did you find it?

Pat Isaac
01-03-2008, 08:26 AM
This is an old post, and Caran D'ache does make a high quality OP called neopastel and then the make a water soluble stick called neopastel aquarelle.

Pat

starblue
01-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Are you sure, Pat? Doing a quick Google search showed "neoart aquarelle" and "neocolor I/II aquarelle" but not "neopastel aquarelle". I couldn't find the Neoarts at Blick's, but Jerry's has pictures of them: the Neoarts look like stubby sticks while the Neocolors look like crayons, so the former could be mistaken on first glance with the Neopastels.

Rusla
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I have some water soluble oil pastels by Portfolio. They were fairly inexpensive as pastels go but I like the way they move.

Randi-Lee

Pat Isaac
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
I was looking at an old ad. The oil pastels by Caran D'ache are called neopastels and the water base ones are, in fact, called neocolors. You are right!!:D

Pat

John B
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi fellow artists,

I painted these painting about 8 to 10 months ago using neocolors water soluble pastels by Caran D'ache. I found them very good to work with after a few experiments. I found I could use them for washes, blend colours on the canvas and also dip the pastel point into water and get a more intense stroke.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2008/55768-Headland.JPG
'Headland' water soluble pastel on deep box canvas 20" x 25"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jan-2008/55768-Reeds_in_the_Sunset.JPG
'Reeds in the sunset' water soluble pastel on canvas 11" x 15"

Both painting are on canvas. After allowing the paintings a few days to 'dry' I gave each 3 to 4 sprays of oil pastel fixative then after a week I covered them with 2 coats of acrylic varnish. They were as dry as a bone a few days later. Both have now sold.

The water soluble pastels also work very well with OP's, I find I can cover a lot of background with the water soluble and put detail and vibrancy into the painting with OP's.

Happy painting all

John

Rusla
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Love the composition and especially the vibrant colours , John. These pictures are great!

Randi-Lee

Pat Isaac
01-07-2008, 07:34 AM
Hi, John. Nice to see you. I remember these paintings and congratulations on the sales.
Very vibrant paintings.

Pat

wabbitt
01-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Wow, John, these are brilliant! Makes me want to try more with my set than just underpaintings.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-07-2008, 07:05 PM
hello- i like them- but compared to the oil pastels- to me they feel like laying down pigment with the handling of crayons- theyn once the water hits them you have to exercise the control of water color. i used a seperate piece of paper just to create watery pigment to apply to paper and then smear and dab away like i do with water colors-
i did these with neo-pastels the water soluable ones
so in comparision with the regular oil pastels- i used more tissue and stumps and blending with those
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jan-2008/23418-23418-strawberry.jpg

Pat Isaac
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Very nice, Mz, you did a great job with these. I'm sure I would have been very frustrated. I'm also not sure that these can be classified as OPs.

Pat

Andi Rebirth
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Pat, I bought one color at our small art store here in south dakota and I had a hard time contolling them, plus, I only liked the color when mixed with water. I don't think the "OIL" applies to these. JMHO, I will stick with my OP's.
I haven't used mine this week, been working on a mixed media piece that I am showing in our figure forum. It is an art nouveau style. Realy time consuming. Hope to be done this week so I can get back to my first loves, op's. Happy painting, Andi:wave:

wabbitt
01-07-2008, 08:00 PM
When I bought my set of Neocolor II's the sets and the open stock are all in the pastels aisle of DickBlick's. However at a different local art store, they are stocked in the watercolor aisle. I guess it's all in how they're used by the artist. Here at Wetcanvas, there is a cool demo/WIP in the Watercolor Learning Zone using Neocolor II's. You have to be in a much warmer climate in order to use them impasto like oil pastels...I haven't had quite the success with them as a finished medium since I used them in the hot humid Hawaii summer.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
ty pat- i agree with you these neopastels don't really handle like the oil pastels -to get the feel of them i would do like the board members suggest buy some artist quality oil pastels and then you'll really fall in love with op