PDA

View Full Version : canvas for acrylics

crazi4art
08-18-2001, 08:25 PM
hi,
i have not had much experience using canvas with arcylic paint. i would like to buy some canvas to paint arcylic on. will regular canvas work?? do i need to buy some kind of special canvas? thanks so much
~crazi

cuttlefish
08-19-2001, 06:42 AM
You can apply acrylic paint to just about anything, and you will do fine with any artists quality canvas. I'd suggest washing the canvas before stretching to pre-shrink it. Acrylic is a waterborne medium, and may cause natural fibers to shrink without pre-treatment. Check the article at the following link for more good advice, albeit a bit technical. http://www.goldenacrylics.com/prepsupp.htm

crazi4art
08-19-2001, 12:58 PM
Thanks cuttlefish! I was wondering though, what do you mean by washing the canvas? And the site you gave me was a little TOO technical for me! thanks
~crazi

YLCIA
08-19-2001, 01:59 PM
You can use any prestreched canvas acrylic gessoed for the acrylic as well as oils. Or if you buy streched canvas or canvas boards which were not gessoed you can buy acrylic gesso and cover your canvas with it (2 layers).:)

I buy my canvas stretched and gessoed, they come in different sizes and quality.

Julia

cuttlefish
08-19-2001, 02:09 PM
Just load the sheet of canvas into your washing machine (the same one you use for your clothes) without detergent and run it through a delicate cycle. Then run it through the dryer. The idea is to shrink the canvas before you stretch it to tighten the weave and allow you to co apply greater tension when you stretch it around the stretcher bars. Of course, this won't work with pre-stretched canvas.

You can ignore this if someone who knows better contradicts me.