PDA

View Full Version : Aborigine

viking57
08-18-2001, 06:28 PM
Hi All!
I just thought I'd throw out this image to share and if anyone would like to comment on it or critique on it you are more than welcome.
This is a small sketch done in pen & ink using just stippling. It is not a subject I usually work with but the large photo showing various aboriginies standing under the harsh southern sun was too fun to pass up. I sketched this one out at about a litltle more than double the size in the photo. This image is actually around 4"x4".

artdude
08-18-2001, 07:16 PM
Hi Ron :) Fancy meeting you here at WC. I see you are a new member. You'll have a lot of fun here. Glad you could join us. :D
I saw your post and noticed your web site addy. We have corresponded before via e-mail.
:clap: Really enjoyed your ink drawing. A very BOLD and STRONG piece. Even at it's small original size, it stands out very well. I haven't had much time for my art lately (over 2 months) but hope works slows down for me so I can get back at it. Thanks for posting in this Ink Forum :)

NorahT
08-18-2001, 07:20 PM
A powerful piece and very well done! I can see I have a long way to go :)

pat turcotte
08-19-2001, 11:21 AM
I LOVE stippling and this is a wonderful example of it.
How long did it take you?
Pat

viking57
08-19-2001, 07:58 PM
Artdude (MC),thanks for your comments and yes.."hi" again. I've been a member here for a while but just finally got around to returning. So many things too do on the Internet it isn't funny.
NorahT, thank you also and I am happy to be on the same road as you in art. I have a long way to go too.
Pat, glad you liked the drawing. It took me around 10 or 20 minutes to sketch it out in a small Strathmore drawing sketchbook with Acid free paper and then about three or four hours to finish the inking. I used a 6X0 nib size Koh In Noor pen. The sketch is really nothing more than a very light line drawing with no shading at all. Then I start inking the dark areas and finish with the subtle values of the lighter areas. When working this small it is easy to finish a piece the same day you start it which usually never happens when I going much larger.
Thanks again for all your comments.

RuthT
08-19-2001, 08:17 PM
A wonderful approach to the subject Viking - a striking piece.

geckonia
08-20-2001, 11:12 AM
The application of ink has a wonderful density to it. I'd love to see a close up!:D

digistyle
08-21-2001, 01:11 AM
Great use of shadow in building the subject's character. I like this one a lot.

digistyle