PDA

View Full Version : Master Project Pt 1...(late sorry)

creative-spirit
02-17-2004, 09:56 AM
I am so sorry that this is late but it took a lot longer than I thought it would...lol

I decided like many others to go with the Pre Raphealites, who can resist them.,,,all that atmosphere and silky soft rosebud cheeks....delicious... :)
Anyway, I went for waterhouse's "Boreas" for its lovely colours,its windswept look and the typical jewel like colors that seem to pervade every pre raphaelite painting I have ever seen.

The reappearance of Waterhouse's Boreas in the saleroom in the mid 1990s caused a sensation as it had been lost for 90 years. Called Boreas after the north wind in Greek mythology, the work shows a young girl in a windswept landscape. In 1904 the Royal Academy notes described the subject as: In wind-blown draperies of slate-colour and blue, a girl passes through a spring landscape accented by pink blossom and daffodils. Since then, the picture's whereabouts have been unknown and it was referred to as lost in Anthony Hobson's 1989 biography.

The painting was sold for 848,500 ($1,293,962) - the record price for a Waterhouse at the time.

here is the reference pic and my crop.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/35993-Image1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/35993-Image1cropped.JPG

OH MY!!!! WHAT HAVE I DONE....LOL
This is going to be sooo hard.....(bitten off more than I can chew springs to mind).... :crying:

Well, here it is.....partly finished. This was sooo hard, the drawing was a bit off but I am hoping to get it right later as I work on it.
ARLENE:
OMG!!! I did not do a color chart, I completely forgot about it, I dont normally use them and I promised myself that I would start using one on this project. I was so eager to get stuck into this that I forgot completely......(offers head up for the hammer).......OUCH!!!! Tha B$**&Y HURTS...... :(

Sorry about the foto, not used to this camera yet...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/35993-N02.JPG

Now onto the finished piece.....for what its worth, I loved doing this and learned sooo much.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/35993-N013.JPG
Please forgive me if this is too late and if it is posted in the wrong place...(newbies are a pain I know)....lol
Dave...aka...creative-spirit.

I am looking forwards to getting into the 2nd part of this project now... :D

wet
02-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Dave I know had alot of fun doing this too! What size is it and what kind of paper......gotta have all the dirty details you know. ;) It's kinda hard to see your piece but what I can make out I like. I've always loved this painting. I know it was hard but we never learn anything when it is easy! Glad you jumped in oh and I would put some ice on that big bump on your head!! :D wanda

creative-spirit
02-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Dave I know had alot of fun doing this too! What size is it and what kind of paper......gotta have all the dirty details you know. ;) It's kinda hard to see your piece but what I can make out I like. I've always loved this painting. I know it was hard but we never learn anything when it is easy! Glad you jumped in oh and I would put some ice on that big bump on your head!! :D wanda

Wanda: It is 16x12 A3 on a good textured cartridge paper
I used Caran Dache pencils too. The Supracolor ones that are water soluble but I used them dry.

I know the fotos are horrid, I only have an A4 scanner so I cant fit this into it to scan the image..... :mad:
Dave.

Meisie
02-17-2004, 12:25 PM
Hard to see it Dave...maybe you can scan a close-up for us? Maybe several close-ups.....:D It looks nice though.

Meisie

creative-spirit
02-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Hmmm none of the image uploaders are working, both the thumb one and the other one. Must be a glitch in the site. I will try again later to upload a few close ups.
Dave.

marilyn h
02-17-2004, 03:47 PM
This definately looks wonderful!

arlene
02-17-2004, 05:37 PM
if you want me to comment, then i suggest you post a larger scan. Also you only did half the project. where's your color chart and how you mixed the colors?

creative-spirit
02-17-2004, 06:18 PM
if you want me to comment, then i suggest you post a larger scan. Also you only did half the project. where's your color chart and how you mixed the colors?

If you had read the thread I have been trying to upload close up scans of this but it is A3 sized and I have an A4 scanner so it was difficult to do, I am no puter wizzkid...lol
I also said in the thread that I did not do a proper color chart and apologised for it, although as you can see in the scan I did do a rudimentary color chart on the side of the painting as I worked. I will understand if you want to delete this from the project, after all I did not follow the rules that were laid out at the beginning, I apologise for that, it was tardy of me. My intentions were there but in my eagerness to get started I did not do one. I dont normally work in that way, even tho I can see the usefulness of it.
I have managed to join 2 scans together to make a scan of the whole picture but the colors differ slightly.
I am afraid I cannot get it any better than this.... :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/35993-boreasscan.JPG

I can see how frustrating it must be to look at a thread and not be able to see a crystal clear picture of a painting due to lack of equipment or the ability to use it properly,,,as in my case.
So I will refrain from joining in any other projects and posting until I can learn how to get a better picture of my work.
Hopefully this answers your questions and maybe the joined scan will allow you to make some comments about the picture.

Dave.

arlene
02-17-2004, 08:49 PM
dave what camera do you have? if so take a picture during daylight hours and then download it to your computer. also what image editing program do you have?

My painting that I showed was taken with a digital. My closeups were done with my scanner. you can use both...the camera for the full image, but even there, you can get a much larger image.

Your image can be 500 pixels wide x 600 high. If you use those numbers at 72 dpi you'll get the largest image you can on here. In your image editing program is a way to change the dpi and how wide the picture is...right now your stitched scan is 463 pixels wide x 280 pixels high. But you are at 100 dpi which will put up a smaller image on wc.

reduce the pixels per inch to 72 and raise your width to 500...but use your camera to take a good pic.

as for not being computer saavy, i can tell you the first time i tried to post a picture here it took me 3 people trying to help and 6 tries.

creative-spirit
02-18-2004, 03:55 AM
dave what camera do you have? if so take a picture during daylight hours and then download it to your computer. also what image editing program do you have?

My painting that I showed was taken with a digital. My closeups were done with my scanner. you can use both...the camera for the full image, but even there, you can get a much larger image.

Your image can be 500 pixels wide x 600 high. If you use those numbers at 72 dpi you'll get the largest image you can on here. In your image editing program is a way to change the dpi and how wide the picture is...right now your stitched scan is 463 pixels wide x 280 pixels high. But you are at 100 dpi which will put up a smaller image on wc.

reduce the pixels per inch to 72 and raise your width to 500...but use your camera to take a good pic.

as for not being computer saavy, i can tell you the first time i tried to post a picture here it took me 3 people trying to help and 6 tries.

Arlene: Thankyou for the help, I will try scanning like you said when I get home from work tonite.
I know the pics are bad and I want to improve them as much as I can.
Dave.

LAartist
02-18-2004, 05:41 AM
Hi creative-spirit,

I think I read somewhere that you were just starting out with cp, is that right? If so, I think you're doing an excellent job! If not, I think you are doing an excellent job! :)

The only thing I can tell from the scan is that the hand on her head looks a little thin. Maybe you can increase the size of it and make the fingers less aligned. Also pay attention to where the bones protrude and push the skin up. Those land marks will be very helpful in getting an accurate look to the hand. Try not to focus on fingers. It may help to forget what you are drawing and just draw the shapes. Like you so succesfully did with the rest. She looks beautiful.

arlene
02-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Arlene: Thankyou for the help, I will try scanning like you said when I get home from work tonite.
I know the pics are bad and I want to improve them as much as I can.
Dave.

great because I'm really looking forward to seeing this one. (even without the color chart ;) )

creative-spirit
02-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Hi creative-spirit,

I think I read somewhere that you were just starting out with cp, is that right? If so, I think you're doing an excellent job! If not, I think you are doing an excellent job! :)

The only thing I can tell from the scan is that the hand on her head looks a little thin. Maybe you can increase the size of it and make the fingers less aligned. Also pay attention to where the bones protrude and push the skin up. Those land marks will be very helpful in getting an accurate look to the hand. Try not to focus on fingers. It may help to forget what you are drawing and just draw the shapes. Like you so succesfully did with the rest. She looks beautiful.

Thankyou LA for the encouragement.
Yes I agree that hand is wrong, it has bothered me so much... :(
I have no clue as to how I can retrieve it now, I dont know how to erase colored pencil without completely messing it up. I know about putty rubbers but I dont have one at the moment and cannot get one until the29th of this month when I have some time off from work to go shopping.
I think that it really detracts from the finished picture and needs to be done.
I am not sure if the paper will stand up to scraping out either.
Any help will be appreciated...a lot..... :D

Jazz
02-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Hi! Dave,

Do you have any Blu-Tac in the house? I swear by it, I find it lifts colour pencil a treat and if this is done on a cartridge paper(if i remember rightly) your paper will take the abuse. Just dont pull it away too fast and it will work beautifully and you can keep going over the same area until it has lifted most of it, it might not manage all of it that depends on how many layers of pencil you have on that area?

I also noticed on your piece that the red on her face looks a little severe if you have enough tooth left you could go over the whole area with a pale colour like cream or pale peach, probably cream though it will take the harshness of the red colouring around there, it kinda looks like a bruis at the moment but it is fixable :) .

I think you have captured the rest of it beautifully and the wind swept look is definitely apparent in your piece as well which I would have thought would be difficult to achieve?

Big Hugs,

ALI

creative-spirit
02-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Hopefully this is a better scan using the sizes and methods that Arlene so kindly told me about. It is still a stitch together of 2 scans and that doesnt help. The stitch process takes away a part of the picture in order to overlap the scans to stitch them together and this detracts from the originol painting. At least hopefully you can see what its like, the technique etc.... :)

I couldnt take a new foto of this in daylight as I was in work all day until it was dark and will be for the next few days, so I had to use the scanner again... :(
Anyway I hope that this is better to look at and gives more of an idea of what it looks like.
Dave

ps: The red on her face isnt that dark in the originol painting, the scanner shows it as darker here. Maybe a foto taken in daylight will show it better.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/35993-boreasfinalstitch.JPG

creative-spirit
02-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi! Dave,

Do you have any Blu-Tac in the house? I swear by it, I find it lifts colour pencil a treat and if this is done on a cartridge paper(if i remember rightly) your paper will take the abuse. Just dont pull it away too fast and it will work beautifully and you can keep going over the same area until it has lifted most of it, it might not manage all of it that depends on how many layers of pencil you have on that area?

I also noticed on your piece that the red on her face looks a little severe if you have enough tooth left you could go over the whole area with a pale colour like cream or pale peach, probably cream though it will take the harshness of the red colouring around there, it kinda looks like a bruis at the moment but it is fixable :) .

I think you have captured the rest of it beautifully and the wind swept look is definitely apparent in your piece as well which I would have thought would be difficult to achieve?

Big Hugs,

ALI

ALI: Thanks for the tip, I dont have any blue tak in the house, but I have tons of it in work...lol
A little bit might just slip into my pocket tho....SSSHHHHH!!!!.... :evil:

wet
02-18-2004, 06:22 PM
Dave this is alot better! Thanks I know it is so frustrating to show something when you know it looks alot better in rl. On the eye the original looks like it has a little white showing in the corner like she is looking our way. Yours looks like she is looking down or kinda dreamy far off look. If you like this ignore me it is a very small nit pik! You did a great job on this! :D wanda

arlene
02-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Dave,

Definitely the hand needs to be redone... With the blu-tak don't rub, just press and lift. You should get most of the color off. I can't live without that stuff.

Here I've made both of yours into grayscale and put them both next to one another...or right under ;) As you can see in the original, the blending is much more subtle. You have great darks and lights, but you need to smooth them out a bit more with your midranges. And yes this is better.

LAartist
02-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Any help will be appreciated...a lot..... :D

O.k. Dave, although I have no advice about the blu-tac, since Ive never tried it, I did take a look at the hand structure.

The shape of your overall hand is pretty good. Here are some observations I made. Which may or may not be helpful. Sorry if I got carried away.

1. The wrist could be made a little thicker, or just needs to be lightened up a bit more as it rests onto the fold in the scarf. On the lower side.

2. The upper part of the wrist where the bone pushes up is a great landmark to stress and will really add shape and volume to the hand. (Sorry I indicated 2 on your hand a little bit too far forward, it would probably be back a little bit more.)

3. The top part of the hand, increasing the height will add mass to the hand and help when elongating fingers.

4. The middle fingers knuckle. All the knuckles could be raised up a bit to lift and give more volume to the fingers and hand.

5. This is where the Index fingers knuckle pushes out and up further. Where the 5 is placed on your hand is almost where the knuckle should extend to. The index finger is also more behind the rest of the fingers, not in the same alignment.

6. The fingers are longer and thicker. 6 indicates how far back the pinky extends to. Bringing back the top knuckles will really help extend and give more shape to the fingers. Also I would lighten up your shadows between the fingers, and just indicate the space between with lighter dark values (if that makes any sense).

7. The shadow under the hand could also be lightened up a bit along with the rest.

Hands can be so difficult! I think one of the tricks is to keep them simple. Well I hope that helps a little. Good luck with the blu-tac. Id be really interested to hear how well it works. And best of luck with the hand! :D

arlene
02-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Blu-tak is a life saver. lol

LAartist
02-20-2004, 03:55 AM
Oh! I have to find myself some of that! :D