PDA

View Full Version : wimpy needle!!!!

timmjohnn
02-17-2004, 09:35 AM
hi, im tim.
i had a paacha airbrush once, it was a good airbrush exept the fine point needle was real weak...i then turned to iwata's eclipse airbrush..love um.
but i realy need a good detail brush..the micron by iwata is good i know, but very pricey. besides i played with my freinds microne, not to sure i like there trigger set up(lil on the wiggly side). the one im thinkin of gettin is the sotar 20/20-2 by badger..can anyone here who owns a badger airbrush tell if there fine tippeds are farely strong..dont wanna buy it if its gotta wimpy needle..
thanks...............tim

ProfessorGreibowitz
02-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Hello, Tim.

I can't answer your question but I own an Iwata HP-SB and love it. It can do detail like the Custom Micron but is about $100 or so on eBay. The needle is not wimpy but any needle that goes to such a tapered point can be bent easily. I really love the HP-SB. Side fill.... left or right handed.

Tim

Keith Russell
02-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I have two Iwata Micron Bs, have purchased both of them new, and have never found the trigger to be 'wiggly'. (Maybe your friend's brush suffers from heavy use/wear, or--just an assumption--improper care...)

I also have an Olympos Micron B, and I prefer the Iwata trigger; it's a simpler mechanism (the Iwata is a 'one-piece' trigger; the Olympos is like the Paache 2-pc. trigger, difficult to insert properly without patience and a good pair of needle-nosed tweezers).

K

Caterwallin'
02-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Tim J!
And welcome to our forum!

I also own an Iwata Micron that was the first generation so it's old! I have used it constantly since! I have to say that my trigger is not wiggly at all! In fact, it performs as well today as it did brand new from the box. Your friends might have hade some unknown reason for it's wiggly trigger!

As for the Sotar 20/20, I have never used one and don't know of any one who has. Sorry I could not help you out there!

The finer airbrushes that are made for very fine detail work are all going to have "wimpy" needles. They won't endure harsh treatment with fingernails or other instruments used to clear tip dry! A person has to adapt their usage techniques to the fine airbrush's inherent "wimpiness"! It's a trade off for it's ability to create the fine details!

I hope we have been some help!

Good luck
Sam

hinddee29
02-17-2004, 06:29 PM
I know what you mean by wimpy. As long as you hold down the trigger and
take a deep breath before you insert the needle you shouldn't have any
problems with it, unlees you drop the needle or AB. I had my paasche for
2 1/2 years and no problems with it at all. My AB broke and the needle is still in prefect condition. Just have to take your time.

hinddee29

Milo
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
I was gonna say my Custome Micron SB (Or other Iwata's I have) arn't wiggly either. My HP-C has a bit of a strong trigger. If your friend has access where he can try another CM Iwata and its truly wiggly, then he can contact Iwata which can do repairs, or at least check to see if something is out of wack.

timmjohnn
02-18-2004, 10:33 PM
thaks to all for the info. i did have the privelege to go to the art store and hold a few different brush's. i was mislead by my freinds micron. his is defected or somthing because the one i bought is mint. its nice and tight in the trigger. didnt mean to take up any of you people's time for a question like that,but im two hours from the nearest art store. i just wanted other peoples opinions before i made a choice. once again, thank you............tim

Rage of Reason
10-16-2004, 08:41 PM
An airbrush is good if it matches the aberations of the user... Some people (like me) have many and are able to get a decent flow out of any gun. Personally I like the Paasche Turbo, which gives most owners a headache for at least half a year after they start using it before they have a clue how to adjust it properly. In my mind the paint one uses, determines to greater extent the quality of the spray. But in general I guess the price of an airbrush is somewhat related to the quality of the materials used in the airbrush, so this perhaps accounts for the weak needle tip. But it could also be the consequence of a very shallow needle angle that would (in theory) enable the spraying of very thin lines. The latter is the experience I've had with the Paasche V1.

ABStan
10-16-2004, 09:51 PM
My new Micron SB certainly has some lateral play in the trigger. I dont notice it all when i am using it, sometimes it has a bit of a sloppy feel to it when the pressure is more sideways than straight. I am confused about the quality of the microns.....I have heard from several different sources over the past couple of weeks that their microns suffer from wiggly lever syndrome, yet Keith and sam are saying thier microns are real tight :confused: :confused: I might need to investigate why this happening on mine.

Stan

Penny220
10-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Is the Sotar 20/20 a .18 mm? If not, there is no way to compare it to a micron.

jfrejo
10-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I have a Sotar 20/20. It is a very nice airbrush and has a totally different feel than other Badger brushes. Here is my review of it.
The Positives-It sprays very nice and has excellent atomization of paint. It has 3 different nozzle/ needle available for it. The fine nozzle opening is small, I would think it is a .2mm nozzle as the opening is smaller than the.3mm on my HP-C and larger than the .15mm on my EFBE modelA. So it is not as small as the Micron B or SB but it is on par with the Micron C with its .23mm nozzle. It will spray the thinnest of lines with almost no overspray and can spray at low pressures. The fine needle is robust haven't bent the tip yet and it has survived a drop to the floor. It has a nice smooth trigger and very little if any freeplay. This surprises me as the trigger and airvalve seem to be the same as the Badger 100 series.
The only negatives with this brush in my opinion are although it looks cool the black finish makes seeing into the color cup difficult. The fluid nozzles are tiny and they are a self centering type so you have to be very careful with them. I lost one already and they are not that cheap to replace. By comparing the head assembly of the Sotar with the head assemblies from the Badger 100 series I noticed that the Sotar's head assembly seems to be a highly modified Badger 100 head assembly. I was able to fit the head assembly and needle from my Sotar into my Badger 100LG and spray with no problems and improved performance.
On a side note;Personally I feel that this airbrush doesn't get the respect that it should because it is a Badger product. I have found it to be as good as any other high end airbrush that I have used over the years. In the end it all comes down to the person using the brush.
John