PDA

View Full Version : First portrait of my daughter

Shey
08-17-2001, 08:03 PM
O.K. here she is finally. She's not done as I am having a terrible time doing her hair! She has VERY curly hair, little ringlets on the right side with just waves on the left. All in all, I don't think she's too bad. I am having sooooooo much fun with these pastels!!! Somehow, when I download a painting it loses a little in the translation but please let me know what you all think about her. This is Erin Brooke at 9 years old.

Victor
08-18-2001, 05:17 PM
I'm no expert on portraits but this looks absolutely beautiful to me. The hair is good and the little t Shirt is great. I'm having trouble with the right eye though (her left ) there is something not quite right about it, its not as crystal clear as the left one ( her right ) Hasn't she got lovely eyes though. Overall a very nice one....:clap:

Victor....

Shey
08-18-2001, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. I'm having a hard time with her hair. She has curls like you wouldn't believe! I took the picture of her painting with my digital camera as she is too large to scan, and for some reason when I download her onto my pc, she comes out really light. So I had to darken her using my computer and I think thats why her eye looks weird. Some of her coloring is off a little too due to the darkening.
Oh well.....maybe some day I'll take time off from painting to learn to use all my "High Tech" toys!!

thanks again!

Shey

Victor
08-19-2001, 05:23 AM
You are welcome Shey, I know what you mean about the camera, I have the same trouble and I suppose it all boils down to the fact that you have to get the best camera you can afford so that there is little need to enhance the image with a computer. The camera I would like is made by kodak and sells for somewhere in the region of 6,000.00, thats $8,644.00. A little out of my reach. At the moment ,that is.

Victor....

Bobbie
08-21-2001, 12:02 PM
I, too, think she's beautiful. I was wondering if you might just darken her left eye - I think that might make them appear to be more realistic? Are you using Canson paper? I don't think it would be too much of a problem to lift a bit of color w/a kneaded eraser if you wanted to try lightening the other eye instead - although it might be more difficult to get the right color.

TeAnne
08-23-2001, 08:05 PM
Shey, Erin is so pretty :) You are doing very well. My daughters name is Erin too :) She will be 27 in Dec.

LDianeJohnson
08-24-2001, 07:57 PM
Shey,

What a lovely portrait. You have done a really nice painting of the face.

For the hair, when in doubt ... practice on another piece of paper trying several ways of handling it. If you can't get it just the way you want it just suggesting the curls as you have done is plenty since her face is so delicate. For the curls further away, soften ever so slightly to make them appear to go into the distance. On "ringlets" just add a few catch-lights to the turns then lower values in the opposite turns. Also, bring up a few strands in the shadow areas as well using lower values. Ask your daughter to give you a strand of her hair. Hold it up against a piece of gray paper and put a directional light on it, take a look at how it responds to light and paint what you see :)

Diane