PDA

View Full Version : the daily february 15th

meriadoc
02-14-2004, 11:30 PM
hey ya all :)

its about 31 minutes too early, but i dont' care ;)

i just wanted to share the news that the second pic in my tulips thread in the darkroom has caught someone's attention and i've just sold a copy of the print!!

anyways, i'm off to bed :)

-- Lisa

edit - i just realised that this was the 11,000th thread in the shutterbug pub!!

moccasin
02-15-2004, 04:32 AM
YAY, LISA!!!!!!
Way to go!!

Well, it's 1:30 a.m. here and hubby had the puter tied up playing Scrabble online. he got so mad at me for "helping" that he finally quit the game and went to bed! Stoopid fool is addicted to the game and will play it till all hours of the night (morning). He's sure getting crabby. Yet he will sit here and yak at me constantly while I play it - when I do, which is seldom.

I made a few more graphics for my Easter and Tooth Fairy letters today and am quite pleased with how they turned out. Won't bore you all with them. Now all I need is some orders for letters. Wish I could get away to a bigger centre so I could do some windshield advertising at a mall or major grocery store, but it is impossible at the moment. I need more orders to come in on a regular basis - the Birthday and Tooth Fairy letters are supposed to fill in the gaps between holidays. Advertising locally has netted me zippo, and I won't do it again. Please pass the word around ...

I must not be the only busy person here as quite a few of us have been missing. Thank goodness for the regulars!

V- How's the Quarterly coming along?

All for now - just wanted you all to know I am still in the land of the living - woke up this morning above ground so I knew it would be a good day!

Cheers, Sue

drapier
02-15-2004, 05:56 AM
Moring all
I hope you are all well. Struggling to get myself together to get to work.

Another Link
Photography E_Book (http://www.camerahobby.com/EBook-TOC.htm)

marilyn h
02-15-2004, 06:11 AM
Having to do the same thing as Drapier. Got to get those cards out for Easter. Yes, Easter. Expecting another bout with snow in North Carolina. I swear that the North Pole has moved south this year.
Have a spiritual Sunday and rest!

ArtistGary
02-15-2004, 08:46 AM
Hooray for Lisa, and thanks to Drapier for the informative link.

Been gone the past few days, away from a 'puter and now crushed by allergies. Boo-hoo! Oh well, this too shall pass. . .

Having loads of fun with my new Minolta Dimage A1. I am a very slow learner, but the quality of the automatic-focus pics amazes me. Here's some recent ones to share. First one from 100 meters, second one from 400 meters, third from 20 meters, fourth from a meter, and fifth from 300 meters and five flights up. Hope you enjoy them:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/33146-Copy_of_2-14_Wht_Pt_078.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/33146-Copy_of_2-14_Wht_Pt_136.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/33146-Copy_of_2-13_clouds_ECC__birds_079.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/33146-Copy_of_Copy_of_3rd_day_Cabrillo_213.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/33146-Copy_of_4rd_day_Aquarium_374.jpg

MissMouse
02-15-2004, 10:38 AM
nice link Mike _ I see he recommends getting an external flash. I have the Metz 54 MZ-3 for the OLY and love it I would suggest anyone doing photography needing a flash get one. Here is a link to some reviews. http://www.photographyreview.com/pscFlash,and,Lighting/Flashes/Metz,54,MZ-3/PRD_85174_3121crx.aspx#reviewse

and here is a photo I took yesterday - John is purposely posed with the bright noon day sun at his back - a back lighting and metering hell. I am about 6 feet away. I have been posing many challenges for myself while practicing for the wedding :-) No photoshop work has been done on this photo except cropping.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2004/3452-jhnsham.jpg

bairam
02-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Good morning all.

It's Sunday and thing are moving slowly this morning....

Tom just left to pick up Alex and bring her over so she and granddad can work downstairs doing art projects. Tom's going to show her how to carve soap stone and work with clay.

Grandma is going to be busy cooking. She always expects a great dinner when she comes to spend the day. Haven't decided just what yet, but it feels like chili beans to me today.... ;)

Made a big pot of onion soup yesterday and there's enough for lunch today, with a sandwich...that should make her happy... :)

Good to see you back Sue, I missed you over the past few weeks. I guess you've been busy...I'll take one of those Easter Letters for Taylor...send me a PM and tell me what you need.

MM it does look like winter just doesn't want to leave this year. We can only hope...great shot of your two fellas...

Gary...ducks in the ocean...no, you must be kidding.

Marilyn..I really loved you entry into the "Repetition" project...

Don't work to hard Mike...

Lisa...good for you girl...you mean there are actually people who look at our works and want to buy them...Wow!! Congratulations....

Have a great day everyone and stay safe....

kaleidoscope eyes
02-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi all, still busy here, well I took yesterday off and we went to another Island for lunch so I'm playing catch-up today :rolleyes: Haven't even looked in the darkroom for about a week, I know it'll be crammed with posts I haven't seen yet :( have to try and catch up a bit later on. A bit later on could mean around Thursday!
Lisa, that's great~selling somethings always a boost isn't it? :clap:
Sue, I'll pass the word around for the easter-cards....and about the scrabble...unplug 'im!
Mike, hope your work went smoothly....what's cooking?
Hi Marilyn!
Gary, I'm impressed with your new camera too~some terrific shots there!
MM, I'm very impressed with you too! Well done with that exposure, the wedding'll be a snap. Do you think they chose white dresses just to confound photographers?
Maria, happy Sunday to you, enjoy them beans :D
Well, back to business...

katcocat
02-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
Still working on idea's for the repetition project. Also watching 'Pride and Prejudice' for the umpteenth time, which I suppose, is another form of a repetition project. :D The weather is far too miserable to go outdoors and take photo's. Roll on Spring!
Lisa, Congrat's! Not surprised you sold a print of that photo, it's a really good one.
Sue, been meaning to email you for ages, every time I sit down I seem to get interrupted. I'll try and get one written later on. Loved your graphic's yesterday, very bright and colourful.
Mike, I've bookmarked your link and intend to have a good read as soon as I get time. Thanks for posting it.
Marilyn, Easter? Haven't got over Christmas yet. :D
Gary, lovely photo's, glad you're enjoying your new camera.
MM, great shot, very impressed. Are you nervous about the wedding? I'd be scared stiff.
Maria, Onion soup, yum! Have a great day with Alex.
Hi Carol! The problem with missing a couple of days in the daily is that you then have to spend weeks catching up :D Say hello to Vee for me, and make sure she isn't working too hard.
Anyone heard from Eileen? Or Julie? Hope you're okay.
Have a great day everyone.
Kate.
Hi to everyone else who calls in.

Windy
02-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Its really tomorrow today here but I just called in to say Hi. It has been a rotten weekend in many ways. I am still recovering, needless to say all the extra grey hairs are caused by kids .........[grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr]
Hopefully things will settle down soon.
Way to go Lisa! Congratulations. Hope this is the tip of the iceberg.
Sue I hope the sales of letters pick up.
MM the wedding will be cruisy! Have faith in yourself.
Gary I am loving your wet series. I love the wildness of the ocean. Lucky you.
To everyone else, have a most wonderful day.

Oldthumbs
02-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Nice to see that there have been a few more peeps showing up in the Daily. Not too bad for a Sunday.

Lisa - pretty cool - talk about easy money. :D

Sue - your graphics are looking pretty good - sorry you haven't been able to pick up more business. You said you were trying another business - did you say what it was?

Hi Mike!

Marilyn - you live anywhere Grove Park Inn in Asheville? Wife and I are thinking about making a visit out there in October and wondered when the best time for fall color is.

Gary - looks like the camera is working fine for you. Works well to get shots of waves and still stay dry. :)

MM - that's a tough shot with the lighting and the snow - you did good, though, so no worries for the wedding.

Maria - sounds like a good Sunday - so how do you carve soapstone? That sounds interesting.

Come on, Carol, get to work - lot's of stuff in here to catch up on. :)

Kate - thanks for the explanation of the schools yesterday - clear as mud. :D
Definitely different than here. Usually, it's public school from Kindergarten through High School, which means free, open to everyone, and mandatory. Grade school usually starts in Kindergarten at around 5 years old and then 1st through 6th grade. Then it is on to Junior High School, which is usually grades 7 & 8, though for some it includes grade 9. Then on to High School, which is grades 9 through 12 (except as noted - sometimes 10 through 12). At the age of sixteen, at least where I live, you have the option of dropping out of High School and being legally free of the school system. High School is the end of "regular" education. Then it's off to College for four years if you choose (and Master and Doctorate degrees beyond this, if you have enough money and commitment). This could also be a University, but the only difference between a College and a University is that a University is a "collection" of Colleges specializing in certain courses of study. Of course, there are also Junior Colleges where you can go for the first two years of College, and then on to a regular College to finish up. All College/University study costs the student, but there are plenty of grants, scholarships, etc., to help defray the cost.

And then there are private schools for all the pre-College education. This are usually set up in the same grade fashion as the public schools, but there are plenty of variations. The private schools all cost the parents a tuition, and they get no credit for the taxes they are paying to support the public schools they are not using.

Our son attended a Montessori pre-school and a Montessory school that went all the way through High School. He made it all the way to 10th grade, when we took him out to home school him to finish High School. To prove he had the credentials, he had to take tests to get a GED (General Equivalency Degree), since he didn't get an official High School diploma.

Hope that wasn't too boring.

BTW - not to speak for Julie, but just to let you all know, she is fine and very busy, so don't worry about her. I'm sure she will pop in here again when the conditions are right.

Wendy, sorry the kids have got you down for the weekend - sometimes it's a real love-'em/want-to-bash-their-heads-in relationship, isn't it? :)

Looks like I might be the last one in the Daily today, so hope you all have a great rest-of-today and a great tomorrow. Hope this post wasn't too wordy. Matter of fact, it's so long I don't want to have to go back and correct it, so if anything is mispelled, live with it. :)

Ray