PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Constructivists here?

TheStyle
08-17-2001, 02:37 AM
Although my style is not like any of the known
"Constructivists," Malevich, Tatlin, Kandinsky,
Lissitzky, the definition of constructivism seems
to fit what I'm doing....

The definition of constructivism that I have gathered
is something like: Total commitment to abstraction,
rarely emotional, containing order, often geometric,
basic elements used.

Throw in a pinch of minimalism and that's me.

Is anyone else close to this description in their
world of creations?

MichaelB

mame
08-17-2001, 08:18 AM
Oooh, Malevich would be turning in his grave...
He declared himself a "Sumprematist" and in his own words:

"Under Suprematism I understand the supremacy of pure feeling in creative art. To the Suprematist the visual pehenomena of the objective world are in themselves meaningless; the significant thing is feeling, as such, quite apart form the environment in which it is called forth"

- from "Suprematism" Art and Its Significance An Anthology of Aesthetic Theory edited by Stephen David Ross

TheStyle
08-21-2001, 10:38 AM
Mame wrote:
Oooh, Malevich would be turning in his grave...

Why would he?

Mame continues:
He declared himself a "Sumprematist" and in his own words:

"Under Suprematism I understand the supremacy of pure feeling in creative art. To the Suprematist the visual pehenomena of the objective world are in themselves meaningless; the significant thing is feeling, as such, quite apart form the environment in which it is called forth"

Gee Mame, why would you choose the above quote
in re to my question, "Are there any constructivists here?"
The quote has nothing to do with what I do, nor does it
represent the description or definition of the movement.
Please explain.

MichaelB

mame
08-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Oh, cuz I'm nuts and talk off the top of my head and because you attributed Constructivism to Malevich who declared himself a Suprematist. I could be wrong though, or confused. Happens often.

RonMarko
08-21-2001, 05:12 PM
I consider myself a constructivist in the vein of Kandinsky. Had I live in Europe during the 20's I would have been part if this movement - I was born too late, dammit.
I have no idea why I paint like this now - I just do. Maybe it's some sort of subconscious influence passed to me during my college years?
But I enjoy it...mostly. Frustration does happen but then again what is art without it?

I'd be interested in seeing your work.

TheStyle
08-24-2001, 03:23 AM
Hi Ron, I checked out your W-site. Great job.
I'm still thinking about mine. I'm getting some
pcs. together and plan to be up and running
at some point.

I agree w your philosophy statement at the end...
Of course as noted by another reader, artists
approach their methods differently.

My opinion of E-bay is that it is a buyers market,
not a sellers market. Of course, there are exceptions.

One question I have is, "Why do you seem to only
half-heartedly like one of your pcs. when it is done?"

I'm the opposite. I am totally satisfied with every pc.
I finish. I know from the very beginning of a pc.
exactly what it will look like at end. My pc. is always completed
in my mind before I start. I small sketch, then sketch actual
size. The concept, measuring, and color choices is where
the work is for me. The "painting" is the easy part.

Being self-taught, I believe I am doing things very
unorthadox. I know this since I can't apply any info I read
in any "painting" book to what I am doing.

My last idea here is-try using the W-site as a brochure
to promote selling out of your studio.

Again, welcome...

MichaelB

Sandi
08-24-2001, 05:55 PM
<~~~ Loves Kandinsky. I would become a constructionist(sp), if it meant I could someday paint like he could! He might convince himself he's painting without emotion, but he'll never ever convince me of that. There's no way on earth someone could look at the primary colors without their hearts leaping through their chests. Non emotional? I don't think so. At least not for me when viewing his work. *sigh*

Sandi
08-24-2001, 05:57 PM
or for that matter, the excitement of a line, a splash, a dribble, watching a paint marblize, run, seep, fade, take over, squirm, bounce, ...
why paint if the heart doesn't leap? It lept. It lept straight from him into me.

RonMarko
08-24-2001, 09:35 PM
Hi Michael -
eBay is certainly a buyers market but I believe it's also a sellers market - Otherwise there wouldn't be any buyers! :-) That's what makes it so great. I'm optimistic when it comes to eBay. But I understand what you mean.

As far as why I only feel half satisfied with a finished piece? I really don't know for certain, but I do know for certain that I'm my own worst critic. I look at the stuff I have up on my page now (All 4...wow) and am ready to take those off because I don't like them anymore.
But my girlfriend makes me keep them up. I'll make more though. The older I get the more satisfied I am with a finished piece. Maybe because I feel my painting abilities are approaching the "ok" level. I agree with Picasso when he said "A painting is never finished, only abandoned." I never know when a piece is complete and I never know what it's going to look like before-hand. I only make a rough sketch of an inkling of an idea for basic composition.

I also believe (like you) that I'm a self-taught artist because I got next to nothing out of college. I had been drawing and painting for years prior to that painful experience!
I don't mean that to sound arrogant. I did learn the most important thing of all in college - You can't learn to be an artist. You either are or are not. A teacher cannot instill this within you, they can only make suggestions towards a direction. I learned that my first semester and took nothing serious after that. Plus, none of my teachers taught technique.

You're right - I should try to use my page as a brochure for my stuff. I feel that when I'm at point of being able to offer the person buying my artwork a truly quality piece then I will start "Hocking my wares" more seriously. I do offer all of my stuff for sale if a person inquires and I've made some sales in the past. You need to get your page going - The sooner the better! Post an image so we can all see your work!

And Sandi you're right: Kandinsky is awesome!!

Thanks for the kind welcome!

Rock On!