View Full Version : In honor of school starting

blondheim12
08-16-2001, 09:27 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Aug-2001/schoolangel.jpg

Love,
Linda

digistyle
08-16-2001, 09:57 PM
Lucky you!! Mine doesn't go back until September 5th!!!!

digistyle

colorme
08-16-2001, 11:35 PM
lol thats funny :D..I started school on the 9th:(

Christie
08-17-2001, 01:13 AM
My son starts grade one on Aug 30 and I cannot wait! He is playing school everyday and i am tired of being the librarian/teacher/bus driver.:p

Nathangill
09-02-2001, 10:28 PM
Well, I'm unschooled (a no-curriculum form of home schooling) and my children will be, too. So I'll have to get that feeling another way. Hehe.

Christie
09-02-2001, 11:34 PM
If we were to home school our kids, they would get a very great emphasis on science and math (I am a chemist and my husband is a programmer). It may end up becoming an option at a later date as our 6 year old just came up to me and asked how to do square roots...

In any case, I thought that trying him in a regular school with an immersion program would be a good thing to try for at least a year. I have seen some home schooling horror stories and then there are success stories like you. Where we live, there is not a great deal of regulation of home schoolers, so it is possible for a child to hit a grade three level and not be able to read!

Nathangill
09-03-2001, 08:42 PM
I heard of a kid who could build a radio from.. erm.. not quite scratch. "Chips", solder, boards and a speaker. But he couldn't read.

Well, don't be afraid to try homeschooling.

Or even unschooling. Remember- your kid's are learning without textbooks and chalkboards right up to school age - why do they suddenly need a change in learning style for it to work further?

I can recomend some books and websites if you want, but I won't turn this thread into an Alternative Education discussion.

If you want more, PM or email me.

Christie
09-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I'll have to think about it. As I said, my whole attitude may change if our public system cannot work the way I want it to. :p

I must say that you are a shining example of what I want him to be! Well, maybe minus the holiday experience you just had.:p