PDA

View Full Version : Can't finish

Toadie
02-10-2004, 08:40 AM
I dont know what is wrong with me this last few weeks! I have four paintings sitting here some halfway done others 3/4 of the way done and I can't finish them off!!!!! I am so upset about this.

Eugene Veszely
02-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I have trouble with this too.....

Yokovich
02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
angel maybe you have too many going at once? maybe you should only work on two at a time? it is always a challenge to know when a painting is done!
go for a walk---LOL :)

Cathy Morgan
02-10-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, I'll give a pretty predictable answer - try empathic responses (http://radio.weblogs.com/0120691/stories/2003/03/20/empathicResponses.html) to one of the unfinished paintings.

Usually this is enough to give you a feeling for what to do next.

If not - decide to go ahead and finish one even tho it will be bad, bad, bad. Let it be as bad as it is. Accept this now. Then set a timer and do "free painting" - that is, just let the brush pick the colors and go to work on its own. All you do is watch. Try setting the timer for 10 minutes first. Then you have the option of another ten if you feel like it. If 10 minutes feels too much, set the timer for five.

These two approaches - freeworking and empathic responses - solve most creative problems. The trick is to remember that when you're HAVING the problem. That part, I haven't yet mastered.

Eugene Veszely
02-11-2004, 03:53 AM
The one I am working on now isnt looking good at all ...usually why I stop and want to burn them...I might see if I can save it...... :mad:

Cathy Morgan
02-11-2004, 10:06 AM
The attitude "this must look good" is the problem. Does your painting care about looking good? No. Your painting wants to come to life as itself.

Forget about saving the painting on your terms, and get on with bringing it to life on the painting's own terms.

Dreams-of-Flight
02-12-2004, 08:20 AM
The attitude "this must look good" is the problem. Does your painting care about looking good? No. Your painting wants to come to life as itself.

I have much the same problem, and think Cathy has it spot on, I feel every piece of artwork I create has to be perfect, which is both unrealistic and counterproductive, but I can't seem to escape from feeling that way.

Eugene Veszely
02-12-2004, 08:35 AM

Forget about saving the painting on your terms, and get on with bringing it to life on the painting's own terms.

I am the one that thinks not the painting :)

Cathy Morgan
02-12-2004, 08:39 PM
I am the one that thinks not the painting :)

So what works for you when your thinking gets in the way? Or perhaps it never does?

Eugene Veszely
02-13-2004, 05:35 AM
It probably is always in the way...that could be why I am never happy with what I paint, have a horrid time finishing things and want to quit altogether !!!

doug_h
02-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Is there some type of time limit on the paintings? If not, put 'em away for a month, a year or so. When you come back to it with a fresh eye and perspective (maybe) it will come together. Actually, it is rather amusing to revisit the work after a time and see if it really was worth the time and effort. Most likely, even with the growth you've experienced over time, you'll see it was.

Eugene Veszely
02-14-2004, 08:49 AM
And with more painting some can be saved....

gnu
02-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Hey, I spent a whole YEAR finishing one of mine(actually it needs 2 final touches)..I think it's one of my best, but all through it, I couldn't see to the next step..
I tried not to stress over it, and I did it literally 5 minutes at a time, after working on other art...sometimes only one fixup, after it had been on my mind how to improve a problem...
I left the challenging bit(and the fun bit too) till last as my reward and was DETERMINED to do it......
I found this problem in music too, writing songs, leaving it till I knew what to do next, or till I was inspired again, worked..as I relaxed, ideas/solutions just came to me..
keep going, there's lotsa art in there busting to get out..and YOU are the only one with the schedule, you know...(works for housework too!!!:D:D)