PDA

View Full Version : Trying to loosen up this picture

richlll
08-16-2001, 04:06 AM
Hello! My name is Rich Lovato, I am new to WC and would like to get my feet wet by posting a picture for critique.

I am working toward a more painterly and impressionistic style, so I would appreciate suggestions on this piece (8x10). Any other suggestions welcome too.

I am thinking that I need to have more lost edges, so this might mean that getting a handle on my color selection would help...

I look forward to seeing what you guys think.

BTW, I am a Technical Illustrator by day, so I want to loosen up and turn off the brain a little when I paint; also getting off of the computer is nice too. :clap:

LDianeJohnson
08-16-2001, 07:41 PM
Hi Rich,

Welcome to the WC Pastel forum.

If you are working toward a looser style, you are going in the right direction with this piece. Some tips:

You have a nice thing going with the color and handle the pastel well. The drawing itself (and it may be the scan) shifts to the left. View your work through a mirror turning around to observe the painting (as you would to check the back of your hair in a mirror).

The upper left area which takes up much of the painting and appears flatter than the rest of the painting and is just a bit unfinished. The rich blues you have used in the negative spaces is good. However, the plant or object in this pot needs some additions to balance the lower part of the piece. You've used a complimentary color scheme going here which gives liveliness to the painting, but a transition is needed to pull the two together.

Loosening up does not = better, or good. It still must have underlying structure and good craftsmanship. The composition and color is fine in this painting, and if you want to do "lost/found" edging it must be done in the right places.

One other thought, don't be afraid to make the food on the plate in one place or another extend off the plate. Same for the plant in the pot. This would open up your painting visually.

Hope this helps.

Diane

richlll
08-17-2001, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome and comments about my painting. I am a newcomer to pastels -- this is my 6th pastel since May of this year, so I need all of the help that I can get.

As far as pulling the areas together; maybe I will add some of the stems of the plant in red.

One other thought, don't be afraid to make the food on the plate in one place or another extend off the plate. Same for the plant in the pot. This would open up your painting visually.

I did back myself into a corner at first and then tried to balance it out with the red jam. I also had originally planned to put a spoon on the plate and have the handle hanging off the plate to pull the eye into the plate from right to left but "chickened-out".

I will try to think about staying loose and also focus on adding more interest.

Thanks again! I really value your input.
:D