PDA

View Full Version : When Time Stopped - Colored Pencil FINISHED

arlene
02-09-2004, 11:31 PM
The first picture is the photo I'm working from. Yes I set up the still life, but I added the flames in PS. The second is a closeup showing the newspaper and the flames.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/240-stilllife8smalla.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/240-stilllife8smallcrop.jpg

The size is of this is 11.25"h x 20.25"w and is done on stonehenge paper. This is just my grisaille. Colors used were prisma black grape, black cherry, dark green, indigo, dahlia purple, greyed lavender, slate gray, pablo indigo blue and verithin black.

I had to do the drapery over 3x till i was happy with it. Then i wasn't happy with the napkin and had to do that over a couple of times. I'd like to thank Paul for his help in getting the drapes correct. :) I haven't added the flames to the grisaille layer, as I want them to be as clear a color as possible.

here's the full scan:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedwcredo.jpg

and here are some closeups:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedrightside.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedcenter.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedotherside.jpg

The thread is the title of the piece.

canvasjockey
02-10-2004, 12:40 AM
Arlene,

Amazing! The detail in the newspaper is incredible - how did you do it?... And I love what you did with the cloth in the background!

Most of all, I love the concept - the simple reality of a normal day disrupted by a catastrophic event. We all remember the completely normal things we were doing that day when we got the news. I was getting up to get my kids up and ready for school.

I can't wait to see how you come along with the color in this.

Carole

Biki
02-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Arlene

I am totally, totally, totally impressed. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm with Carole. The detail in the newspaper just blows me away.
How the heck you do that, girl.?

I bow to thee & thy immense talent. Cannot wait to see this come into completion - and all the wonderful juicy bits along the way.

(btw - check your PMs for the "analyse this" threads you asked for)

bravo

biki

Eugene Veszely
02-10-2004, 11:06 AM
WOW lots of work there...amazing.

arlene
02-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi Carole, thanks,

I have to be honest and tell you that i traced the lettering from the photo for the newspaper. There was no way i'd be able to get that so accurately, unless I spent another week or two on it, and I'm limited in time. I used a verithin pencil to do everything on the newspaper.

Thanks Biki, I did check and have it in my pm...just didn't have time yet to do it...thanks.

Thanks 1.

This of course isn't a traditional grisaille...but what i've found with cp's if you use one of the traditional colors, it tends to either muddy what you put on top (browns and grays) or changes colors you'd prefer not to be changed (vertigris and indigo). So after much trial and error I started using complementary grisaille.

artmom
02-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Arlene, I have always been in awe of your tremendous talent. This work, even in its infancy (or toddler stage), is absolutely stunning in its detail! The fact that you traced the newspaper in no way detracts from the exemplary work. The concept itself is so touching.

I have an image in my head regarding that day that I hope someday to have the skill to bring to life on paper (or canvas). I will be watching this WIP with great interest.

Lyn

bjs0704
02-10-2004, 05:19 PM
It is fantastic, Arlene! :clap: :clap:

All of the textures in this drawing are done so well.

It will be good to see how it progresses.

Barb Solomon:cat:

DGrau
02-10-2004, 09:56 PM
I love your concept of this and the way you are bringing about your expressions of your idea. Your work is exempelary and I feel this piece is going to be phenominal when it is completed. Hope you post your progress often, as I wish I could stand over your shoulder and watch this come to life.
Best regards and wishes
David

Linda Ciallelo
02-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Absolutely "Gorgeous" Arlene. I love what you've done with this. Do you mount these on board when you are done? This is so beautiful, it should be well framed. What will you do with this when it's done? Are there any CP works in museums? There should be.

arlene
02-11-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks Lyn, I waited all this time purposely because I didn't want to do an exploitive piece. I must admit there have been times working on this piece i had tears starting in my eyes remembering.

thanks Barb

Thanks David, I will post when I have explainable changes..

Thanks Linda. this piece is being done partly to enter in the CPSA juried competition and partly for my own need to express myself. When finished it will be double matted with archival matting, and framed.

CarolChretien
02-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Arlene you are a Master!
Thanks for sharing the progress of this stunning piece.
:clap:

arlene
02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks Carol

Classical Vince
02-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Arlene,

I really appreciate your attention to composition. Its also refreshing to see someone working so creatively with ps and technology. The lettering looks great. A few brave-souls in class did still lifes with lettering and I watched them crawl the walls. lol.

Do you use a digital cam? Do you find your monitor or a printout the most useful for reference? Also, your lighting is nicely done in the photo; a few flat areas in the shadows but the texture variation and your technique will surely make it work.

Thom Byrd
02-15-2004, 12:42 AM
truly a master work :clap: Which is the only thing to be expected from a master*In the words of Pope Julius "WHEN will it be DONE" ;)

arlene
02-15-2004, 01:20 AM
Arlene,

I really appreciate your attention to composition. Its also refreshing to see someone working so creatively with ps and technology. The lettering looks great. A few brave-souls in class did still lifes with lettering and I watched them crawl the walls. lol.

Do you use a digital cam? Do you find your monitor or a printout the most useful for reference? Also, your lighting is nicely done in the photo; a few flat areas in the shadows but the texture variation and your technique will surely make it work.

composition is a bugaboo with me because it is so very important. Once you have the skills to render, then it's time to focus on comp.

PS has saved me days of work. I can play around with a photograph, do it in b/w to see if the values are there, turn it upside down to double check composition, etc.

Each of these pieces i've done (Coal Miner's Memorial, Dichotomy and this one, all have lettering in it to bring the point home. the are all part of a series...too bad I don't have time to do more of them in a year.)

I use a digital. For this photo I used the Minolta S404 camera. My regular camera the Nikon coolpix 4500 is great for macro, but tends to bow edges at a distance....i'm sure there's a way to correct it, but i haven't figured it out yet.

with my layers, i'll be correcting any flat areas. the layer i'm working on now is the first layers of color...still not anywhere near the final colors, but moving along.

Thom thanks! :D "WHEN will it be DONE"

well deadline for slides sent is march 30...

JamieWG
02-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Arlene! 'Glad to see this here in the Classical forum too. :) I'm getting hungry for an update. How's it going?

BTW, I don't know how to fix the bowing in Photoshop, but Print Shop Pro has all kinds of easy fixes for the common camera distortions, and the program is cheap....at Costco, with a $30 rebate. :)

Jamie

arlene
02-15-2004, 03:08 PM
Hi Arlene! 'Glad to see this here in the Classical forum too. :) I'm getting hungry for an update. How's it going?

BTW, I don't know how to fix the bowing in Photoshop, but Print Shop Pro has all kinds of easy fixes for the common camera distortions, and the program is cheap....at Costco, with a $30 rebate. :)

Jamie

I have a feeling there might be a way to correct it with the camera, but the darn thing is so complicated that I'd need to read it 100 more times. Hey i'm happy to take great macros with it. it's an awesome camera.

I just mentioned in the CP OTL thread that I should have an update this week...it's in what I call it's ugly stage.

Classical Vince
02-17-2004, 01:48 AM
Hi Arlene. You may have luck using the spherize filter (menu>filters:distort:spherize) It punches a sphere in the image that you can control with sliders. I might suggest that you use a selection mask to control it better but it should do the trick.

arlene
02-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Vince are you talking in photoshop or on the coolpix?

stoney
02-17-2004, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=arlene]The first picture is the photo I'm working from. Yes I set up the still life, but I added the flames in PS. The second is a closeup showing the newspaper and the flames.

Stoney;
My jaw dropped on seeing this. Awesome.

Classical Vince
02-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Vince are you talking in photoshop or on the coolpix?

Hi Arlene. Its a filter in photoshop. If set to 100% it punches a hard edged sphere so a graduated selection mask would help you to control it. It may not give you the desired results if you run it directly on the image but a simple mask will help. You might try experimenting with the Pinch filter too. Run it in small increments for more control.

JamieWG
02-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Arlene, if you find a way to compensate for the distortion in the Coolpix, please let me know! We have a 5700.

Jamie

arlene
02-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Here's where I am so far. I've added reds and brunzyeel sanquine to the drapes, raspberry to the tablecloths and napkins, sanquine again to the oranges, marine green to the china, put a layer of french gray 90% over the blue shading, dark green to the leaves and added goldenrod to the eggs and over the french gray on the china..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedcenter2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedcenter3.jpg

bjs0704
02-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Arlene,

Good going! :clap:

It is a really interesting change of mood - now that you have added the "pinks". What's next?

Thanks for keeping us posted. :)

Barb Solomon :cat:

MKathleen
02-19-2004, 12:47 AM
:) Hi arlene, this is simply amazing just getting the newspaper to this point is fantastic. I tried an open book one time and finally gave up because I couldn't get the print to look right. I'm so impressed with your pc work! :clap: Wonder feeling also to this piece I love the reading glasses--heck just every object :D .
Kathy

canvasjockey
02-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Beautiful piece, Arlene! I love the feel of it, especially the way the colors reflect in areas like the eggs, plate, and oranges!

Carole

arlene
02-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Barb, thanks...you'll have to wait ;)

Kathy thanks...doing it in cp's is alot easier then doing it in paint.

Thanks Carole

jocelynsart
02-20-2004, 09:49 PM
Absolutely Stunning! A showpiece. You go!!!!!
Jocelyn :clap:

arlene
02-20-2004, 10:20 PM
thanks Joc :D

Linda Ciallelo
02-21-2004, 10:48 PM
Absolutely gorgeous Arlene! :clap:

arlene
02-24-2004, 12:01 AM
thanks linda. for the record I almost ruined it last night...hopefully i saved it enough.

bjs0704
02-24-2004, 10:31 AM
Oh no! What happened? :(

Eugene Veszely
02-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah tell us :(

arlene
02-24-2004, 10:41 AM
I'll tell when I post again by the end of this week. promise.

arlene
02-26-2004, 03:05 PM
The saga of the drapery...

well folks, here's my latest update but first the saga. On Sunday I was working on the drapery, trying to get it close to finished, but not completely finished. All was going great and I finally put down my pencils to relax.

But...the wax buildup was bothering me so I decided to spray one coat of workable fixative on it. I did, brought it back in the room and felt it still had too much wax buildup, so after waiting about 1/2 hour, I rubbed over the whole surface with a piece of toilet paper (I was out of tissues)

BIG MISTAKE!!!

It took off alot of the color, left a haze and made the surface too slick. I tried going over it with the pencils, but that just made it worse, so I decided to lift color with blu-tak. Of course I had forgotten I had sprayed already, :rolleyes: so what little came off left worse blotches.

Finally out of desperation I went over all the drapery with the colorless blender marker. That did get rid of the white, but left the rest a bit splotchy. Finally I started going over it with the colors I had used originally, and then used the colorless blender pencil and at times my finger. That seemed to do the trick, (and no I didn't spray again).

Of course I like to bring my drawing to completion with everything and not finish off an area completely, but that's the price I had to pay.

The larger pics are more accurate for color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc3.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedotherside4.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedcenter4.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Feb-2004/240-whentimestoppedrightside4.jpg

CarolChretien
02-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Appreciating how much work has gone into this piece I am so glad it is saved! :)

DGrau
02-26-2004, 06:24 PM
Your heart must have sunk.......Glad you were able to save it..good work.
David

JamieWG
02-26-2004, 06:33 PM
Arlene, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine the anxiety....But you know how they say "Every cloud has a silver lining"? Well, that background came out fabulous. I love that it's a little fuzzy....'makes it so soft-looking and helps it move back. Great save.

Jamie

Classical Vince
02-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi Arlene! Great save! :cool: I agree with Jamie, the background tones are pushed back nicely with the fuzziness. The shadows are coming along nicely. Its neat to see your layering process.

bjs0704
02-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Arlene, I'm so glad that you were able to save it. I am also glad that it now looks so good that I would have never known if you hadn't told us.

Good job!

Eugene Veszely
02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Glad you saved it too...you happy with how it turned out?

arlene
02-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks Carole.

David more then my heart sunk. One of the reasons i'm doing this piece now (I would have done it eventually anyway because it is something I wanted to say.) was because of the Colored Pencil Society of America's annual juried show. The deadline is March 30th for postmarks. The problem would have been having to start over again, and getting it done in time for photography, and then show.

Jamie, in all honesty? I like it better now then what I had originally. I feel it does blend in better and gives more weight to everything in front. I'm particularly happy witht he folds now.

Jamie, Vince, Barb, chamel...thank you.

Eugene Veszely
02-28-2004, 11:05 AM
...and now if you win something with it, you have a great story to tell about it :)

arlene
03-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Here's an update. The sugar/creamer are finished mostly, as is the glasses frame (not the lens). Aslo the fabric to the right is done as is some of the flowers...all this is saying done, but at the end I still go back in with some darks and highlights to make things pop.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc4.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedotherside5.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedcenter5.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedrightside5.jpg

DGrau
03-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Really comming together beautifully Arlene. Glad to hear you are happy with your drapes, though they look good on here, it isn't like really seeing them.
Can't wait to see it when it is finished.
David

artmom
03-03-2004, 01:36 AM
Arlene, each time I see this work, my heart jumps a bit. Such an ordinary morning, to turn to such an extraordinary horror!

The fabrics look so sumptous. The china, the silver--the grains of salt and pepper--fantastic! I can't imagine the impact this must have in real life now that you have added the towers and the flames and smoke.

Well done and thank you for sharing your wonderful talent.

Lyn

arlene
03-03-2004, 01:53 AM
David and Lyn, thank you.

arlene
03-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Ok in the last three days, I've finished the left side...the lace, and the napkin, and finished the plate and it's contents...still have to do the silverware...and finished the glasses frame. That's why I'm only posting the middle section as large.

The oranges are a bit redder and cleaner looking in RL and the plate is less grainy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc5.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedcente6.jpg

Biki
03-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Arlene, You are such a perfectionist - and I DO love a perfectionist. :)

You have my utmost admiration.

WOW ( again)

CarrieLLewis
03-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Arlene,

It's been a while since I last visited WetCanvas (almost six weeks) and even longer since I looked at anything but the Art Business threads.

So I was thrilled to come across this thread on the very day I went back to an older, unfinished colored pencil piece of my own. All I can say is ...

Fantastic!!!

As always, your compositions are absolutely stunning (are you giving lessons?) and your workmanship beyond belief. I do wish I could see it in person, it must be breathtaking.

Thanks for sharing this WIP. You've certainly got my CP juices revved up again!

Classical Vince
03-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Coming along fantastic! You have done great with the areas you said were completed; its harmonizing nicely. I appreciate your skills with a photo reference Arlene. Im eyeballing those eggs, juicy grapefruit and silverware - great texture combo ;)

Olan
03-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Arlene this is pure torture. Those eggs are just the way I use to eat them but now I can't. :crying: Coming along nicely tho.

arlene
03-06-2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks Biki.

As always, your compositions are absolutely stunning (are you giving lessons?) and your workmanship beyond belief. I do wish I could see it in person, it must be breathtaking.

I'm working on sometime in October possibly. I'll know more in April.

You've certainly got my CP juices revved up again!

great! check out the new projects there too. :evil:

thanks vince.

I appreciate your skills with a photo reference Arlene.

I wouldn't have those skills if i first didn't have drawing and painting from life skills.

awwww...sorry Olan.

richlll
03-07-2004, 04:29 AM
I can't help it: I have a question!!!!

How long will it take c-pencil to catch-up with pastel or oil regarding classic technique??? Does it even fit in??

What are your thoughts?

Richlll

arlene
03-07-2004, 12:26 PM
good question...how about starting a new thread and asking the question...btw, pastels weren't considered as acceptable till only in the last century...and what about acrylics and watercolor?

but again please start a new thread to ask.

JamieWG
03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Arlene, this is coming along so beautifully. My favorite elements so far: eggs, newspaper (I don't know how you mustered the patience for that one), and china.

As always....looking forward to your exquisite finish.

Jamie

richlll
03-07-2004, 03:36 PM
good question...how about starting a new thread and asking the question...btw, pastels weren't considered as acceptable till only in the last century...and what about acrylics and watercolor?

but again please start a new thread to ask.
Believe me I am plenty frustrated with the "stigma" of pastel, I love pastel, but feel like I have to be part salesman to get people to look at pastel seriously.

I would like to start a new thread but have it be more general as far as media, what are your thoughts as to how to word it ppl?

Rich

JamieWG
03-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Believe me I am plenty frustrated with the "stigma" of pastel, I love pastel, but feel like I have to be part salesman to get people to look at pastel seriously.

I would like to start a new thread but have it be more general as far as media, what are your thoughts as to how to word it ppl?

Rich

I too would like to see a new thread get going about that. I think it's an important topic to address...Lots to say...but don't want to hijack Arlene's thread. Perhaps whoever starts it can post a link here so we'll all be able to find it.

Jamie

richlll
03-07-2004, 08:50 PM
I too would like to see a new thread get going about that. ===snip===
Jamie
I moved the question here:
New Media question (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172799)

arlene
03-10-2004, 01:36 PM
Here's another update. I'm almost done. Have to still do the newspaper, finish the salt/pepper shakers, the teacup, the silverware and the lace.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc6.jpg

closeup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedrightside6.jpg

CarolChretien
03-10-2004, 02:15 PM
just beautiful...hate to repeat myself but WOW!
Love the flowers and well, the whole thing!
:clap:

Linda Ciallelo
03-10-2004, 11:19 PM
This is absolutely amazing Arlene. I predict that you will win this year. Like I've said before, this peice should hang in a museum.

arlene
03-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks Carol and Linda. (it's a nice dream...both of them...lol)

arlene
03-15-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm finished...with two weeks to spare! LOL. Tomorrow it heads to the photographer for shooting and then when I get it back it gets sent to several competitions.

First pic is the full image, and the rest are closeups. The closeups are more accurate color.

when I scanned this, my settings on my monitor were too dark. I finally got it corrected, so it's calibrated right, and now I see how anemic this looks. Please scroll down to post 84 for see the colors accurately...or accurately now on my monitor.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc7a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup3.jpg

bjs0704
03-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Arlene - Good Going! Best of luck on the show! :clap: :clap:

artmom
03-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Arlene, a fitting finale! Well done. Good luck with the competitions. :)

Lyn

DGrau
03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Beautifully rendered Arlene. Thanks for sharing your progress, it was great to watch. All of the best luck in your competitions, hope it does well.
David

Biki
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
Perfect Arlene.

You will win.

You already have imo :)

Wish you the best of luck that the judges taste matches ours.

cheers to you

biki

arlene
03-16-2004, 10:38 AM
thanks Barb, Lyn, David, Biki...yes biki I have to agree...i"m very happy with this piece.

stoney
03-16-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm finished...with two weeks to spare! LOL. Tomorrow it heads to the photographer for shooting and then when I get it back it gets sent to several competitions.

First pic is the full image, and the rest are closeups. The closeups are more accurate color.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-whentimestoppedwc7a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup1.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Mar-2004/240-timecloseup3.jpg

Simply and totally awesome, Arlene! You've captured the blue ribbons... :)

Olan
03-16-2004, 11:40 AM
Good luck Arlene. It looks grand! :clap:

arlene
03-16-2004, 03:34 PM
thanks stoney and olan.

stoney
03-16-2004, 05:57 PM
thanks stoney and olan.

You're welcome. It's praise well earned. :)
:clap: :clap:

SanDL
03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Well done Arlene!
(Even though my mother told me you should NEVER leave your spoon in the cup :D )(unless it's compositionally necessary)

CarolChretien
03-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Arlene, Good luck in the competition but I don't think you need it!
This is a show stopper in every way. :clap:

Chiers
03-17-2004, 08:56 PM
Arlene this is fantastic! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I am still attempting to learn cp but seeing such a wonderful work makes me think I should just quit while I am ahead. I can't imagine ever being so good and capable of mastering all the detail you have here. Bravo!

arlene
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
SanDL your mother is a wise woman. Thanks.

Carol thank you.

Chiers have you been to the colored pencil forum and the hall of fame there? lots of great information to get you started and going....it's all a matter of practice...daily if possible.

guillot
03-21-2004, 12:22 PM
This is awesome Arlene!!! Stunning work.

Tina

arlene
04-01-2004, 02:07 AM
Thank you Tina.

zhigangfu
04-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi Arlene,

Thanks for sharing this pretty painting with us. Frankly speaking, I would be more impressed if you painted it from life than a photo. ;) as a beginner and a student, my teacher always tell me to draw and paint from life, he said even copying master's works is better than painting from photo. What do you think :confused:

Zhigang

arlene
04-01-2004, 07:47 PM
i think this set-up wouldn't have lasted the over 200 hours it took me to complete...and that's only the actual coloring...that's not laying out the drawing itself, plus i'm personally not fond of the smell of rotting eggs permeating my house.

also I'm not a beginner, and so have drawn and painted from life for years...and because I have I know how to compensate for the fact that photos flatten images and distort perspective. If you are a beginner, I definitely say you should be working from life. It's the only way to learn

But considering i've been working my whole adult life as an artist and teach myself I think what you should do as a beginner is not take one prof's word as gospel.

As for this being a pretty painting, if that's all you saw in it, you missed the whole reason for my painting it.

Classical Vince
04-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Holy cow! 200hrs?! Yeah, that egg wouldve been stinkin!

Wonderful edges and I like the solid composition from the start. The highlights on the salt/pepper shakers dance. Great to see the final product of your labor ;)

Termini.
04-03-2004, 01:59 AM
Magnificent!

arlene
04-05-2004, 01:53 PM
Thanks Vince and Jim

the colors in RL are a rich deep red velvet and a golden orange velvet in the back on the right. I redid the colors once I saw how anemic they were on my finally correctly calibrated monitor.

I think seeing now how it's more accurate makes a huge difference.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2004/240-whentimestopped26.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2004/240-timecloseup1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2004/240-timecloseup2.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2004/240-timecloseup3.jpg

future_artist
04-05-2004, 03:32 PM
This is absolutely amazing, talk about fascinating, i didn't have any idea that5 such details could be done with colored pencil..... well i happen to like the medium and i have also seen the elobrate work u have put in the colored bottles ( another project of urs)...... arene i am truly impresssed .... just curious did u have any formal education in art and what is ur age???

arlene
04-05-2004, 03:46 PM
thank you future. don't you know never to ask a lady her age? ;) good thing I'm not a lady. LOL. I'm 49...and will be till Nov 18th of this year when I will still be 49 but will celebrate my first annual 49th birthday.

I have been drawing and painting all my life and have been a professional artist since my college days. I have a BFA from Syracuse University in textile design.

Trust me back in the 70's they didn't teach anything about how the masters painted or drew...it was all do your own thing. :rolleyes: