PDA

View Full Version : Leather and metal on bridle??? how?

pencilnpen
02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Hello, have a question, as I am working on a horse portrait in graphite, and can't get the leather and bit ring to look right - suggestions from anyone? They both look too flat.... :confused:

Robin

JayD
02-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey Robin--do you have an image that you could post--it might help if we can take a look at it.--jayd

artdude
02-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Hi Robin. I posted a drawing I did of a close-up shot of a saddle with metal conchos(sp?) and will post the link below. I used graphite and ink for the piece. Have a look to see if it will help you out :D:)

My "Side Saddle" drawing (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115296)

Murray

--------------------------------------------

pencilnpen
02-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi - here is the one I am working on, have done alot of erasures so that some of the areas I want hilighted won't get lighter, like the bit ring - I am thinking of starting over, unless i can get it looking more realistic, the leather and bit. The first is the most recent, and second an earlier WIP - Anyway, suggestions are welcome! :p

Robin

Dave's in Florida
02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Robin:

Your drawing is good.

There's a book that shows you how to achieve the textures you want to render:

Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
by J. D. Hillberry

You can order it from any bookstore.

Take a look at his web page from this link: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=3046

Dave

pencilnpen
02-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks for all the help, here is the final, need to do some practice drawings on leather and metal - but wanted to get eveyones insight on this one, not exactly the way I pictured it, but maybe thats my perfectionist in me... :rolleyes:

Robin

Wingnut
02-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi Robin :)

I think you did fine and showed improvement along the way, but you seemed to hit a point where you overworked it - blending out some of the nice depth your earlier versions had. I get the feeling you need to work on your confidence along with your drawing skills. You have good instincts :) you just need to learn to trust them! (also, if you want us to look at the bit, don't hide it under your copyright notice ;) lol! ) Don't knock being a perfectionist ;) if you don't push yourself - who will?

pencilnpen
02-14-2004, 05:52 PM
you mentioned it was overworked - i suppose that is always a problem as I am a perfectionist. I got a new printer in the middle of doing it, and since I print out my reference photos the new printer showed alot more detail - so much i tried to to go back and rework some of the areas. argggg... ;) Thats a lesson learned! It may be pencil, but doesn't really erase totally.

Robin