PDA

View Full Version : oil portrait

Ruth
08-15-2001, 05:55 PM
Hi y'all -- I don't hang out much here, for lack of time. Belladonna suggested I should post this here, so here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2001/Dennis3.jpg

Oil on toned canvas board, 16 x 20, 2 hours working time in class.

I would appreciate any comments, modifications, questions, or suggestions anyone might have in order to help me and others.

The colors I used were Titanium white, cad. yellow med., yellow ochre, cad. red med., alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue.

I started with a toned canvas board at a medium value, greenish- brown. I put in the shape of the shadow side of the head in a mass with a mixture of cad. red med. and ultramarine and a little yellow ochre. I used red, yellow, ochre and white mixtures for the light side. Darkest darks are a mixture of aliz. and ultramarine. After getting the shapes of the light and shadow, I mixed in warm and cool colors in the shadow side to suggest the planes of the face without getting too detailed.

Tried to be conscious of hard and soft edges, working as fast and loose as possible and still being precise. This is the way I wish I could paint all the time. Love it when I can actually DO it. :D

Ruth

llis
08-15-2001, 07:18 PM
Glad you posted this here Ruth.... It really shows what "color" can do for atmosphere.

I remember seeing a series of paintings of the same guy ( not this one ) done in various palettes and it was amazing to see the different moods obtained.

Like you choices here.

belladonna
08-19-2001, 11:14 AM
I have this guy saved so I can study him. He is wonderful and I am glad he made it in here! Thankyou Ruth :D He is so free and powerful and it drives me crazy that you did him in 2 hrs! Makes me want to get back to the drawing board and work harder! My hat goes off to you. :clap: