PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Canvas

mfynn
08-15-2001, 05:34 PM
Hi, I need a little advice on choosing canvas for a painting I have been commissioned to do. What makes this painting different than the others I have done is its large scale (5 feet tall x 6 feet wide) and the fact that they do not want it stretched. They plan to hang the completed painting from a rod sewn into a pocket along the top. My concern is that the painting will not lay well and may "fold" once hung. Should I use an extra heavy canvas in this application or will my standard Fredrix Medium weight canvas do?
Thanks for any input you might have!
mfynn

cuttlefish
08-16-2001, 03:36 PM
I'd explore using polyester sailcloth. It's more dimensionally stable than cotton or linen and not prone to decay. Granted, good quality cotton or linen takes hundreds of years to rot if it's well taken care of. Be sure to sew a strong hem around the edges, qith a quadruple stitch below the rod sheath. You'll want to use a very heavy thread, and you'll probably need to borrow a leather sewing machine to stitch such heavy fabric. If it wasn't for the rod, I'd pound in some heavy grommets to hang it from. Stitching a metal chain into the bottom hem might help it to hang mostly flat, but it wil still be subject to a wave unless you secure it down there somehow.

mfynn
08-16-2001, 05:30 PM
Thank you Cuttlefish for taking the time to reply to my request for information. I was afraid that no one would be able to help me. Your information is very helpful and appreciated!
Thanks again!
Michele (mfynn)