PDA

View Full Version : Short programs for art clubs

Dona
02-07-2004, 10:10 PM
I've recently been elected vice president of a local art organization. One of my main responsibilities is to come up with a program for our meetings each month. Most months, I can probably find someone willing to speak and/or demonstrate. However, I'm afraid there will almost certainly be times when the speaker has to cancel at the last minute. Does anyone have ideas for short programs - one hour or less? I would especially like activities that all the members could participate in.
Thanks for your help.

Dona

HSargent
02-14-2004, 11:28 AM
I am a member of a very active artist group. Fortunately we are part of a Fine Arts Center so we have a Gallery and Studio.

We are fairly senior people and mostly ladies.

We offer an open studio twice a week for a day of painting. We have 4 to 20 each day.

We have a live model twice a month (not nude) which is fun to improve our portrait skills.

We have Saturday Art Specials which have included Origami, Photography, Crazy Quit, Mosaic, polymer clay, ...

We have workshops of portrait, oils, acrylics, watercolor, drawing, ....

We always have a show in the Gallery which lasts for about 6 weeks. These include Juried shows, guest artists, in club artists, club shows where the public vote on the best.

We also have satelite galleries around the community with rotating artist to give the members a venue.

We are very lucky in our facility. Hope some of this stimulates.

Dona
02-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Wow! It sounds like y'all have a great organization. We have been in existance only a few years and don't have our own place yet. I especially envy your twice weekly painting sessions and live models. Thanks for your input.

Dreams-of-Flight
02-22-2004, 06:56 AM
I especially envy your twice weekly painting sessions and live models.

Something that works well for art groups on a strict budget, is to use a different member as life model each meeting, or use friends and family of members. Or pair folks up in 2's, and each person gets to spend 15 min/30min drawing their partner, and then becomes the model themselves.

Dona
07-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks to Dreams of Flight. I would definitely like to use that one if a demonstrator cancels. If we pair up and sketch each other, I won't have to worry if the model can not show up either. And no one will have to sit it out.
Great idea! :clap: :clap: