PDA

View Full Version : WIP The Rose

odge
02-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Hi everyone,

I thought I would have a go at the seven layer technique. This process is supposed to be for oils. Oh well, never mind. :evil: This is the website for the process if anyone is interested
www.artpapa.com/oil-painting-lesson-1

The first image includes the ink drawing (layer 1), the second layer and the start of the 3rd layer.

The next image is starting the fourth layer.

The last image is a copy of the reference photo - taken from the image library. What a wonderful resource. :D

C&C appreciated.

Thanks.

Jo

ms169699
02-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Looks great so far I can't wait to see more progress photos.

orchid black
02-08-2004, 12:23 AM
looking good... keep us posted!

odge
02-08-2004, 04:15 AM
Here is the dead layer finished.
What a mission !!! :p
I have had "FUN" with the centre of the rose.
Yeeehaaa.... now to move on to the first colour layer :clap:

Eugene Veszely
02-08-2004, 09:04 AM
I like what I see so far :)

wilmas
02-08-2004, 11:25 AM
:) Hi Odge
like what i see so far. :clap: :clap:
I am new in acrylics,usually i do watercolors

angi612
02-08-2004, 12:23 PM
This is a lovely effect. I`ve looked at the website and I think I`m going to give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

presphoto
02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
This is really awesom odge! Can't wait to see the finished pic! :)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

odge
02-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the positive encouragement everyone. Things could slow down a little - you know how work tends to stuff things up a bit. Although I do have tomorrow off, so maybe.... ;)

peapod
02-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Here is the dead layer finished.
What a mission !!! :p
I have had "FUN" with the centre of the rose.
Yeeehaaa.... now to move on to the first colour layer :clap:

I don't know about anyone else, but I think this so far is a work in and of itself.

Kerch
02-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Odge, I love your rose. The technique is fascinating. I look forward to seeing your progress. Thanks for sharing the information.

Lulu
02-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Looking great! and thanks for the link. Must try it.
Welcome to wetc too, nice to have another NZ'er here:)

edit to ask - how big is your painting?

odge
02-09-2004, 02:22 AM
Looking great! and thanks for the link. Must try it.
Welcome to wetc too, nice to have another NZ'er here:)

edit to ask - how big is your painting?
Hi Lulu,

Thanks for the welcome. Great to see another local on WC.

The painting is 22"w x 16"h on "good" canvas - according to my art tutor. :D

odge
02-09-2004, 02:24 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I think this so far is a work in and of itself.
Hi Peapod,

Thanks for this. I am quite worried that I will stuff it up when I add the colour.

mjt
02-09-2004, 10:06 PM
If you continue painting the final layers as those in the beginning you will have a great painting.
Michael

ms169699
02-10-2004, 05:45 PM
I still like it so far.

The depth in the center is quite amazing.

I can't paint roses.

Michael-Ann
02-10-2004, 05:55 PM
Very nice to watch this develop... I am intrigued by the link you sent and by your rendition as well.

odge
02-10-2004, 08:26 PM
I still like it so far.

The depth in the center is quite amazing.

I can't paint roses.
Thanks MS,

Isn't it funny - it's the centre which I'm most unhappy with. Judging from what I've seen of your work - I bet you could paint roses. My thinking - it's only lines. LOL :D

Jo

odge
02-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and positive comments. I'm sorry I haven't posted an update. The technique is very different from my own style and I have managed to erect a huge barrier for myself - I think I've turned it into rubbish. So, progress is slow as I forge on. :(

I was going to wait until I had finished the first colour layer before I posted again, but here's an update so you can see what I mean.
Jo

asy
02-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I think I've turned it into rubbish.

Jo,

If this is rubbish, then I live in the hope that one day I can paint garbage...

Absolutely gorgeous!

asy :D

odge
02-11-2004, 03:45 AM
Thanks asy, I should realise that blocking in the colours creates a messy stage and then it improves as the fine tuning goes in, but sometimes it escapes my recollection and I get quite dispondent about the painting.

Anyway, I decided the best thing I could do was to get rid of all the white and grey on the canvas so I could start to work the fine nuances (and hopefully start to like it again). This is it before the nitty gritty.

I may not be following the recipe 100%, but sometimes we have to go with our intuition. (My art teacher believes we should follow our intuition 100% of the time - funny he's struggling to get me to do that :evil: )

Leslie Pz
02-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Coming along, well! More, more, more!!!
-Les

Michael-Ann
02-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Yes! You are coming along wonderfully :-).

cherie_b
02-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Wow this is looking great! I started a floral painting last night and it looks nothing like that! Maybe i will try that technique! Can't wait to see what the finished painting looks like!

cherie :clap:

odge
02-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Thanks Les, Michael-Ann and Cherie,

I think I have got through the barrier. I didn't like the way the dead layer - the tonal value layer - dulled the colours. I like bright and vibrant colours, which is probably why I like doing flowers at the moment, and the dullness of the colours was quite depressing.

Jo

Michael-Ann
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Jo, I am excited to see how this is progressing...Any updates yet???

odge
02-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Hi Michael-Ann,

It's starting to come together now. I have completed the "first" colour layer on some of the petals and also put a green glaze over the brown background. I found the background was not helping the painting at all, so I go a rose leaf from the garden, mixed the green and checked it on the leaf and then thinned it down with water - lots. (Does this sound right, all those glazing experts?) I hope to finish the "first" colour layer today, but I'm stuck with a fair amount of housework - so I may not get it done until tomorrow.
Here's how it looks at the moment.

Jo

Bobbo
02-13-2004, 03:13 PM
wow,in your face flower,
this is looking good allready

you must be either very brave or foolish to do a wip of a new method
very interesting

look forward to tomorrow

mjt
02-13-2004, 03:50 PM
then thinned it down with water - lots. (Does this sound right, all those glazing experts?)
You're doing fine. Do also try glazing with a "glazing medium." It produces a different effect. I think of glazing with water as more like staining, glazing with a glazing medium more like varnishing. Both work, and, both have their place.
Michael

odge
02-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Bobbo & Michael,

Bobbo: "you must be either very brave or foolish to do a wip of a new method" Probably very foolish, but at least this way if I go off the rails there are heaps of people who can point it out before its too late. :D

Michael: I'm hoping to go shopping today (if I can fit it in around the housework) and look at getting some glazing medium. :D

Thanks for the kind words. More soon - hopefully.

Jo

odge
02-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Hi everyone,

Okay, I think I have finished the colour layer apart from minor adjustments. I'm not happy with the centre, so I have attached a close up for comment/suggestions.

Also, I am not sure what to do with the background. I think the dull browns of the photo won't complement the rose. What does everyone else think.

Sorry it took so long to get to this stage.

Jo

Bobbo
02-15-2004, 05:32 AM
odge,
maybe you can try,getting some green or blue mixed into the centre,
this wil make it deeper,and create the centre of interest.

the feel shine on the pettals looks sooo real
are you going to put some dew drops on there?

good luck

odge
02-15-2004, 05:35 AM
odge,
maybe you can try,getting some green or blue mixed into the centre,
this wil make it deeper,and create the centre of interest.

the feel shine on the pettals looks sooo real
are you going to put some dew drops on there?

good luck
Thanks Bobbo,

I wouldn't have thought of green/blue in this - thanks.

I would put some dew drops on, but I don't know how. Does anyone know of a WIP on how to do dew drops?

Jo

mjt
02-15-2004, 11:50 AM
It's coming along.

A few thoughts.....The value of the green background is now almost the same as the darkest reds in the flower. The background needs to be at least several value steps darker. Try glazing with several different blue-greens. At this point you do not want a consistent background because it will look too flat. Keep the glazes very transparent. Let the darkening develop slowly and allow for variety in the background. Much less chance of error if you build the layers slowly. Also look at the deepest reds in the center portion of the flower. Presently they are the same value/saturation as the reds in the petals. They need to be stronger and darker.

As for dew drops. Forget a WIP! Take a few drops of water and sprinkle them on a few different non-absorbent surfaces. Put a light on the droplets and simply observe. Move the light around an observe the changes. Think in terms of painting "what you see, now what you know is there.": You're not painting water. Instead your painting changes in reflected light that occur when light reflects off of water, or, passes through water (refraction), or, what happens to light rays inside water (total internal reflection...a physics term). Don't sweat the physics, just observe. Paint what you see!! Painting is an illusion. A painting has no real depth. Depth, texture, and all contrast is created by tricking the eye into believing that combinations of flat spots of colors are really something that has real depth and dimension. A droplet of water on a surface distorts the light. That's the only reason why the eye can even see clear trasparent water.
Michael

odge
02-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks Michael for your wonderful words of wisdom,

I'll give all that a go.

Jo

angi612
02-15-2004, 01:37 PM
I really thought I could smell that rose!

odge
02-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks Angi,

Hopefully when it's finished you will be able to smell it, feel it and taste it.LOL

Jo

Helen Zapata
02-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi Jo

Just visiting your beautiful WIP! It's gorgeous!

I would like to see the deepest parts of the center brought even darker. Squint your eyes at the photo and identify those places where the darkest darks are. The center will draw the eye.... work it as carefully as you work the rest of the flower. Try to make it "make sense" rather than just dabbing in bits of color. Connect the folds.. they may be tiny, but they are there.

I would also like to see more variation in the background. You have a wonderful background space to work with as "part" of your composition. Right now, everything is high and left. With glazes, as Michael suggests, you can work your values to balance out the lower right side.

I would probably get carried away with more texture and veining. But the way you have smoothed out the petals works beautifully too! This is a gorgeous piece!!! Great job!

Helen

odge
02-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Hi Jo

Just visiting your beautiful WIP! It's gorgeous!

I would like to see the deepest parts of the center brought even darker. Squint your eyes at the photo and identify those places where the darkest darks are. The center will draw the eye.... work it as carefully as you work the rest of the flower. Try to make it "make sense" rather than just dabbing in bits of color. Connect the folds.. they may be tiny, but they are there.

I would also like to see more variation in the background. You have a wonderful background space to work with as "part" of your composition. Right now, everything is high and left. With glazes, as Michael suggests, you can work your values to balance out the lower right side.

I would probably get carried away with more texture and veining. But the way you have smoothed out the petals works beautifully too! This is a gorgeous piece!!! Great job!

Helen
Thanks Helen,

I really love the constructive advice people give on WC. This is how I learn. I'll spend some more time on this tonight and tomorrow (day off! :evil: ) and will post the update when the suggestions have been actioned.

Jo

odge
02-16-2004, 08:03 AM
Hi again,

I know this is getting to be a saga. My apologies, but I want to at least be satisfied with this one...

Here are the latest...

1. The overall view (sorry the background is so dark - had to use the flash etc.)
2. The centre view - I have added some detail and darkened the colours. Has this worked?
3. The background - I have done some glazes and put in some leaves. Has this worked - or should I try a different tack?

All C&C would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jo

Helen Zapata
02-16-2004, 09:45 AM
Bravo!! You did a wonderful job on that center! YES!!!! It makes sense now. You can climb in and nestle down inside. And the deeper darks in there are settling the flower into the space.. anchoring it. It's no longer floating. Good job!

I can't see the leaves well enough in the overall picture, but based on the closeup, I'm sure it's helping the composition a great deal. I would like to suggest that you might glaze a little of the background shadowing over the inside backs of the leaves so that they settle in.. giving them a little more 3 dimensionality.

I'm just smiling all over at you. Good work!

Helen

odge
02-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks Helen,

I will work on the background some more today. Hopefully finishing it to a stage where things like dew drops can be added. It's raining here today (hope you don't read this gnu - LOL) so I'll have plenty of droplets to observe.

More soon - I hope.

Jo

Michael-Ann
02-16-2004, 04:31 PM
I think you are right Jo - your leaves are the perfect balance.

This is turning out so nice!

odge
02-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks Michael-Ann,

I'm really looking forward to finishing it now. I always seem to take forever to finish a painting. :clap:

Jo

Marty C
02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Jo,
Fabulous WIP, you have done a beautiful job on that rose. I see your patience and desire for achieving the best is coming to the fore, all credit to you.

odge
02-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks Marty,

Just a note to all the people who have offered advice etc. This painting is as much yours as it is mine. I shudder to think what it would have looked like without all the suggestions and corrections from you all. I feel really privileged to have so many fabulous teachers, whose only desire is to help you achieve the best results.

During this thread I was told I was either brave or foolish to do a WIP on a process I have never used before. I believe now that it is neither, because everyone is so kind and encouring - not to mention forgiving - then people, like myself, who haven't been painting very long are able to 'put themselves out there' knowing they won't get slammed.

I think we need a new smiley. I would like to give everyone who has helped me a great big hug to say thank you. Instead I'll have to settle for a smiley that embraces my opinion of you all...... :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Thanks again.

P.S. I hope to have an update soon & with luck it might be the final one :cool:

Jo

odge
02-16-2004, 10:47 PM
Me here again... (just in case you didn't realise)

Here's the latest update. Is it finished?

Jo

mjt
02-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Looks finished to me, Jo. You are to be commended. A very nice painting.

I'm guessing that the background is darker than what appears in the jpeg (looks like a little light reflecting off the canvas which makes it appear lighter).

Unless someone sees something I'm missing, I'd leave it alone. Move on to something new. You work hard at your painting and you learn quickly. I would recommend that you do a series of smaller pieces. By working smaller you'll get in much more practice finishing paintings. Learn from each painting and apply it to the next.

Congrats,
Michael

Helen Zapata
02-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Finished... And Fabulous!

You can be very proud of yourself. Congratulations!!!

Helen

odge
02-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Looks finished to me, Jo. You are to be commended. A very nice painting.

I'm guessing that the background is darker than what appears in the jpeg (looks like a little light reflecting off the canvas which makes it appear lighter).

Unless someone sees something I'm missing, I'd leave it alone. Move on to something new. You work hard at your painting and you learn quickly. I would recommend that you do a series of smaller pieces. By working smaller you'll get in much more practice finishing paintings. Learn from each painting and apply it to the next.

Congrats,
Michael
Thanks Michael,
Yes, the background is darker, but every photo I took it came out black and you couldn't see any of the leaves - so I had to lighten it in the editing program.

There is one more thing I will need to do of course.... add my signature :D

I used to paint on a smaller scale - but I tend to make it just as detailed and use smaller brushes. That's why I started painting close up's of flowers, I thought I would be able to speed up my painting process. Oh well, maybe it's a time and practise thing.

Thanks for everything. You've been great.

Jo

odge
02-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Finished... And Fabulous!

You can be very proud of yourself. Congratulations!!!

Helen
Thanks Helen,

I am proud of my determination to finish the painting, whilst not taking (too many) shortcuts and I am proud of all that I have learnt in this process - both the one from the website and the other one from everyone here at WC. I'm taking it along to art class tonight. My tutor demands exceptionally high standards. It'll be interesting to see what he says about it. :D

Thanks again.

Jo

odge
04-07-2004, 02:49 AM
Hi everyone,

I just needed to share. :D

I took my rose to art class after I had done some glazes and finally decided to call it finished. One of the women fell in love with it and is wanting to buy it! So, before I've even managed to hang it on my wall, it's sold. The husband (who also goes to art class) said he is interested in it as an investment and because his wife likes it. So they also have faith in my ability. Thanks for everyone's input into this and for letting me share.

Jo

This is the final version.....

Bobbo
04-07-2004, 04:43 AM
that is fantastic :clap: :clap: :clap:
i'm not surprised!!
you deserve it,money is good,but the positive feelings
you can put in to your next paintings is great :)

Eugene Veszely
04-07-2004, 06:08 AM
I think it is an investment too!! :clap:

I'd be sad to see it go.

odge
04-07-2004, 07:12 AM
Thanks Bobbo and Chameleon. You guys help make this place such a great support network. :)

I'm sad that I didn't get to see it finished on the wall, but I know the next painting I do for me will be better and that helps me get over it. :D I've learnt so much doing the rose and look forward to trying those skills in something new.

Jo

TeAnne
04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Jo, I had no idea that you had painted this. Thank you for showing me. You did a fabulous job. I'm not surprised that it sold. :clap: :clap: The rose bush that produced that flower looks like it's going to die. I hope not cos the flowers are so luscious.
Real name "Red Gold"

surreal
04-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I just needed to share. :D

I took my rose to art class after I had done some glazes and finally decided to call it finished. One of the women fell in love with it and is wanting to buy it! So, before I've even managed to hang it on my wall, it's sold. The husband (who also goes to art class) said he is interested in it as an investment and because his wife likes it. So they also have faith in my ability. Thanks for everyone's input into this and for letting me share.

Jo

This is the final version.....

Wonderful work, Jo!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
04-08-2004, 09:24 AM
Hi Jo,
Congrats on the sale but no surprise really, you produced a superb work and it deserves a quick sale and a prime hanging spot. I was talking to a client of mine last week, he is building a new house and has a special spot picked for the work - gives one a nice fuzzy feeling to know someone values your work and effort.

odge
04-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks TeAnne, I'm sorry to hear the rose bush is on it's last legs. :crying: Thanks also for the reference photo - I thought I'd let you know I'd used it :o .
Thanks Nina.
Thanks Marty. I think it is a technique worth using again even if it's not designed specifically for acrylics.

Jo

Charlie's Mum
04-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Came to this channel today to look for ideas because I've just started an acrylic this morning - and found this!
You've done a magnificent job and I'm off to that link now - (I can always re-do my own underpainting!).
Many congratulations on a job well done - and on the sale (tho' I'd be sorry to part with it!). :D
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artistjan
04-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Jo - your rose is gorgeous! Congratulations! :clap:

odge
04-10-2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks Jan. I hope I can do as well with my next painting. :D

Jo