PDA

View Full Version : What's new this month? Feb 2004

Mo.
02-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I've pinched this idea from the Oil Paints Forum.

They show what work they are currently working on "What's on your easel"
So come on post and show what you are currently working on, share your delights and frustrations about your pieces of work, then when it's completed start a new thread of your work for all to see.

All you newbies who are lurking out there and maybe shy about starting a new thread of your work, this will hopefully give you a comfortable little umbrella, it will also get us all together under one thread, where we can share our thoughts and ideas and bounce off each other. Once Feb is over, a new thread will begin for March and so on.

It could be just a rough sketch idea for a future painting, or a painting partly done, or even completed, whatever it is share it here.

I hope you will all participate in this, it's also a way of getting all those pieces of WIP's in one place to save posts being pushed down the threads and disappearing too quickly.

WIP's are fine, don't get me wrong about this, especially if they are educational, I just think it would be good to contain a lot of them month by month in one thread.

So let's see what you are currently working on for February.

Mo.:)

Artistammy
02-06-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm just about to start a new portrait of our mini schnauzer. This is my reference. I'm trying to decide what color paper to use. I think I'd like to do a teal background like the chair she's in.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2004/3341-sittealchairtwo04.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
02-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Gosh, I just put up a new thread on this, but will put it in here too - an Oil Pastel sketch of a hen chicken - going to do a larger painting with a barnyard scene - chicks and all that stuff. Oh, yes, new OP product review too in the same thread.

Mo.
02-06-2004, 09:06 PM
Gosh Tammy, you were quick responding, your dog is a beauty, a teal background would look good I think, but maybe some comp colours too?

Dyin
02-06-2004, 09:30 PM
hmmm, good idea! That will be a great dog portrait and such a lovely chicky!!! Will have to go see your thread, Kat! Here's what I'm working on...it's a wip over in portraits...and taking forever, as usual! Haven't started on the closer sleeve yet...it will be toned waaaay down...12x9 on art spectrum...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2004/19147-Fatima_background.jpg

tomorrow will probably do the WDE...

majestaero
02-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Okay, I'll join. :D Maybe then I'll actually get these done...neither of them are coming along particularly well!! OPs, of course...

The one is going to be a donation to charity for an auction...it's supposed to be a cutting horse, and I'm flying without a net on this one....no reference photo!! It originated at a doodle in my daytimer!! 11 x 14 on Canson...no, actually, it's not...I think it's recycled Strathmore?

The other is just at a very dead stage and I've been waylaid by oils in the last couple of weeks. :rolleyes: It's kind of been put on the shelf because there's other stuff I need to get done for an upcoming show. Does her arm look any better, Sue? 11 x 14 on Meridian Drawing.

So there you have it, the bad and the ugly!! Think the oils got the good this time around!

I love that, Sue...can't wait to see her done!! Very cool chicken, Kat. Guess I'd better go check our that thread to find out about the new OPs? And the Schnauz should be fun, Artistammy!!

Uploader was too SLOW! So I'm just using the attachments mode...

Linda

majestaero
02-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Oops, sorry -- forgot to mention that I just threw them both on the scanner, so the cutting horse, especially, isn't the whole image...just don't have a current pic with the digital camera of either.

Linda

Dyin
02-06-2004, 11:22 PM
originated as a DOODLE???? Yikes...you're killin me here!!! Ok...hard to see this small but think the shirt shoulder seam on the outstretched arm should curve at the top to fall pretty close to above the bottom start of the curve...hope that makes sense, it's throwing off the perspective a bit...then I think it'll all fall into place size wise. Geez the colors are nice on this guy!

DFGray
02-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Hi
is today part of this month?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165717
regards
Dan

Dyin
02-07-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi
is today part of this month?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165717
regards
Dan

Last one is my favorite too....yikes...I'm tired just reading all that...where's the pic of the friend throwing a pot???

eileenclaire
02-07-2004, 12:43 AM
What a great idea Mo! This is all I have so far: a mirror that's duct taped to a Tinkertoy box and a blank sheet of paper. I'm about to get started on the self portrait for the project. Took me a while to rig up the mirror at the correct height, and find the perfect object to rig it up on. Tomorrow will probably be the day that everyone asks to play with the Tinkertoys!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2004/21757-self_portrait.jpg

Tammy, your dog is beautiful.
Linda, that's incredible that you are doing that out of your head. You must be so familiar with horse anatomy.
Dan, you've been busy this month so far!

Dark_Shades
02-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Great idea Mo ....... love it......
Tammy those doggies are such cuties ..... Kat, love your chicken.... I had been wanting to do a rooster, saved a couple of pics but non good enough to use.... your next one sounds difficult, wish you luck with that.... will also have to search out your thread..... lovely horses there majest... DF, love your figures....... Sue, thought now where have I seen this one before lol, then realised you had posted the head in a thread.... so its a treat to see a fuller version..... lovely piece, she has such a lovely kind face..... blue suits her so well...... as for me ...... I had been working on the same thing as Soap..... was so spooky lol - was the same with Carla, we kept working on the same things for weeks :D ....... K9 (Dana) kindly sent me some Suede mount board off cuts and I will be sending her some Art Spectrum

gmc
02-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Mo,

What fun!!!!

This is a quick " I need-to-do-something-creative" urge thingy. It is only an undercoat and took maybe 30 minutes but probably will remain as such as time restraints will not give time for completion. It was enough to fill the need to create. Thanks to Crias from the image gallery. This is soft pastel on some kind of scrape paper.

These "What's on your easels" are such fun.

geri

Kathryn Wilson
02-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Mo,

What fun!!!!

This is a quick " I need-to-do-something-creative" urge thingy. It is only an undercoat and took maybe 30 minutes but probably will remain as such as time restraints will not give time for completion. It was enough to fill the need to create. Thanks to Crias from the image gallery. This is soft pastel on some kind of scrape paper.

These "What's on your easels" are such fun.

geri

Hi Geri! You've painted one of my favorite dogs - a Welsh Springer Spaniel - it's lovely! Very painterly and loose.

hmmm . . . unless this particular dog is a liver/white dog which would indicate it is an English Springer, Welshies usually have alot more red in them.

meowmeow
02-07-2004, 08:43 AM
What wonderful stuff everyone is working on!
What a precious schnauzer you have Tammy! I am looking forward to seeing this one.
I love your chickie Kat! Wonderful colors!
I like your colors too Sue...the portrait is coming along beautifully. Slow is fine..you make it worth the time.
No reference for the horse Linda! Whoa! I thought it was good anyhow and then I saw what you said! Now I'm really jealous!!!
Your figures are great Dan...I have only seen your landscapes before...I think. This are wonderful. I see your colors there too!
Good for you Eileen!
Nice feet, Dawn! :D Seriously...nice pair of ballet toes...do I remember these? I think so. Very nicely done.
Lovely dog portrait Geri...I love the expression on his/her face! You got it very well.
Boy, such ambitious people here. It is inspiring!
Here is my easel and mess...starting the farmer's market mess. It should be interesting in any case.

Keep up the excellent work, everyone!

Sandy

ExpressiveAngie
02-07-2004, 09:11 AM
After seeing everyones brilliant works i should be ashamed to show what I am working on... :D guess I have no shame, lololol.
I started this as a 20 min sketch for the weekly sketch thread because my sister requested a blue vase with sunflowers for her living room. I usually do people and I am trying to branch out some. Here it is with 20 more minutes added

Kathryn Wilson
02-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Hooowweee - so many wonderful posts to this thread already!

Artisammy: I think teal would be great! She looks like she's ready for Valentine's Day with her red collar and her red heart registration tag.

Sue: That lace is looking great!

Dawn: Lovely ballet pics - what's the feather in the corner of the second picture for?

Linda: Always the superb horse paintings - will be watching!!

EileenClaire: Whaaaa - I wanted to play with those Tinkertoys! Can't wait to see your self-portrait.

Dan: You make those figures sing with color - and you make it look so easy, which I know it's not!

Sandy: I know this one is going to be a challenge, but one to stretch yourself too. So far from what I can see (squinting, LOL), it's going to be facsinating watching you develop this one.

Pastelmama: It's good to stretch! We're here to help!

Kathryn Wilson
02-07-2004, 09:22 AM
After seeing everyones brilliant works i should be ashamed to show what I am working on... :D guess I have no shame, lololol.
I started this as a 20 min sketch for the weekly sketch thread because my sister requested a blue vase with sunflowers for her living room. I usually do people and I am trying to branch out some. Here it is with 20 more minutes added

Okay, I can see one thing that might help - your light source is not defined. Just think about how a light shines on a person's face - just translate that onto your flowers, vase, table, and background. Hope that helps a little.

Dyin
02-07-2004, 09:28 AM
wow...what a treat for the eyes!
yeah, Eileen...can't wait to see what you do!
Dawn...love the calf muscles in the first and the addition of the feather in the second...instant thought of swan lake! nice reflection too!
Geri....I think he's handsome and sweet! You've done a nice job with him!
Sandy...like how you called it the farmers market 'mess' lol....doesn't look that way to me!
Angie...how lovely! You even accounted for the water distortion of the stems!

Mo.
02-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Sheesh, this has taken off with a BANG!! Great stuff! I didn't think for a moment that so much would be posted so quickly, now I hope you all realise that you've committed yourselves to finish what you've posted.:D

Linda your horses are looking good, but query the hand on the horse, to me it looks as if the hand is facing palm up, love those rich chestnut browns you have there, Sue you've progressed no end on your portrait, love that background you've put in it really punches up the skin tones. I must go and look in the portrait forum.
Dawn nice pair of legs there very muscular, as ballet dancers legs are, and love the soft colouring, the addition of the feather is a nice touch (Swan Lake?). Dan good figures, my fav is the last one, loads of good colours there.
Ingenious set up Eileen, hope it stays in one piece for you, brave girl doing a self portrait! Pastelmama, like your sunflowers, now you must finish them okay? This is what this thread is all about sharing and not being afraid to show the rough stages of your work, asking for help and hopefully getting it.

Geri that dog is looking lovely, Springers are my favourites too, and Sandy, my you are on a roll girl, what's on your easel there looks a complicated scene to me, but full of interest, will be eagerly watching over your shoulder again.

Well as for me, I ashamed to say that this piece has been sat on my easel for a week now and I haven't added another stroke. It's just over an hours work done for last weeks WDE, no excuse now I've committed myself to finishing.

Keep them coming folks!

Dyin
02-07-2004, 09:46 AM
still lovin it, Mo....soooooo..you'll get it done just in time for the new WDE today.... :evil: :p

Mo.
02-07-2004, 09:49 AM
:p Who's the comedian in here? :D :D

Dyin
02-07-2004, 09:53 AM
comedian???? Where????? :p

meowmeow
02-07-2004, 11:16 AM
That looks really intruiging Mo! Yes...you have committed yourself so get to work! :D
Angie..the glass is looking good. Nice colors.
Yep...I am definitely going to need some shoulder looking on this one. But hey! What else am I going to do? I did a value sketch...I have reference photos...the underpainting is done...all I have left is to mess it up but good! I'm suddenly very busy with other stuff this morning! :D

SweetBabyJ
02-07-2004, 11:58 AM
What am I doing? Let's see... Trying to get a bit less bogged-down in details while still retaining the ability to capture detail for focus. For someone who learned "drafting"-type techniques first, this ain't easy. Also, I've got all this paintings in my head- figure-work and symbolic pieces- but all the folks back home want these other things: A pheasant pair for my sister (who thinks I should enter one of the bird-stamp contests- yeah, right), and some still-lifes from Mom's ("This would make a great painting, Jul...") und so weiter. I'm considering a still life for Mom with the following elements, kinda, maybe, sorta, if I can figure out a decent comp:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2004/9169-vig02a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2004/9169-vig03a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2004/9169-vig03deta.jpg

There's also the finches, terracotta fish and fireplace near the fishpond to figure out....

I have enough for a WDE of my own here.

Dyin
02-07-2004, 12:09 PM
teehee...i ALWAYS have an opinion lol...so what I thought is the last one would be nice if you forgot the table legs, put the copper spouted pot where the leg is...and the bell where the white pitcher is, and that would make a nice arrangement. And maybe instead of up against the wall...get it where it's just on that nice tile floor...you can deepen it behind the pieces and on a diagonal would look interesting, esp if you downplayed the light grouting...but don't feel bad not listening to me...I don't even do still lifes lol!!! :rolleyes: :p

SweetBabyJ
02-07-2004, 12:19 PM
I'm thinking the last two, using the floor one as focus, and putting the whole thing against a somewhat darker wall, with sun coming in at it from the far right. I'm thinking if I set that fern stand just left of center, I can get some terrific shadows up the wall. I can fudge around with the small white pitcher and the small copper coffee pot as Dad insisted I take those home on that first trip back (Ha! A coupla sisters-in-law had their eye on both of those! Hmmmmph!) (<---Facetiousness alert- I really like both my SiLs) Will probably make the floor a more beige-y tile- basically a continuation of what Mom has in the front of the house.

Anybody need a rocking chair, an airedale or some split, dried-up, well-bird-picked-at pomegranates still on the tree???

Diyart
02-07-2004, 12:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2004/19147-Fatima_background.jpg

tomorrow will probably do the WDE...
This one is developing really great... hardly to believe that it is only 9X12"..
you must be using a microspcope :clap: :clap: :clap:
Martin

Dark_Shades
02-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Sheesh, this has taken off with a BANG!! Great stuff! I didn't think for a moment that so much would be posted so quickly, now I hope you all realise that you've committed yourselves to finish what you've posted.:D

We do!! :eek: Yikes!!! ..... I thought..... :D .... this is good, looks like were all working .... post up .... and then go off and watch TV lol

Dyin
02-07-2004, 12:50 PM
That sounds nice SBJ...hmmmm....airedale? nah...ha had ya goin!

Thank you Martin! No microscope or magnifier but my back is killing me from trying to get up close...and I always have OPs on my nose!!! :p

bnoonan
02-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I admit it - I'm up to no good!!!! :evil:

Actually I'm a photographer and this is a portion of a collection of photos I'm putting together for a photography exhibit. I've yet to cut all my mats but here's some of my work.

I'm also up to making the apartment a total mess since my SO is out of town for the moment.

Yeah!!!

Barb

Dyin
02-07-2004, 01:31 PM
darlin, you make the thought of eating cantelope down right scary...and I LOVE cantelope lol! Must be my last painting...but see dinosaur teeth in a couple lol! :rolleyes: :p Seeing other things but won't comment... :eek: These are extremely powerful....I am sooooo impressed...I'll NEVER look at fruit the same way!!! Get these into a SHOW girl.... :clap:

meowmeow
02-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Seeing other things but won't comment :D
They are powerful and wonderful...not that I would expect anything less from you, Barb! You have set such high standards around here.
These are neat...it's nice to see waht you "really" do!

Sandy

Artistammy
02-07-2004, 05:11 PM
It's so much fun to see what everyone's doing. I like them all.

Mo: Gosh Tammy, you were quick responding, your dog is a beauty, a teal background would look good I think, but maybe some comp colours too?
What do you mean by complementary colors - comp to teal or the grey of the schnauzer? I'm doing the tedious part of transferring my drawing to the paper now.

cjkelly
02-08-2004, 12:43 AM
A great lot of works happening....I hope we don't have to show a finished pic at the end of the month :eek: I think I'll add another sign beneath the "No Junk Mail" on the door...."No Easel Police"..... :D

I say that because this pic has been taking up valuable board space for nigh on 6 months, so chances of it vacating that spot in 21 days is pretty slim! But, as Mo said, it probably just needs the commitment that comes with a deadline :)
And a lot of help from you folks!

cj

Dyin
02-08-2004, 12:51 AM
hey, that's cool cj...makes me wonder what he's collecting...love the donkey's expression...easel police-----------------> run!!! :evil: :p

meowmeow
02-08-2004, 06:26 AM
Easel Police! :D What would I do without them?!?!:D

I like your donkey scene...although I have to say he looks pretty sad to me. Then again, I don't konw a lot of donkeys so I can't say that I have seen many happy looking ones either.
But it's a neat composition...very ambitious. I can see why you are practicing avoidance. I know all about it! Just do it...just go in ther and pick up the pastels and start working...and post the progress reports...it really does help and all of a sudden you have it done. It's amazing.

Sandy

cjkelly
02-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Should have mentioned that I took the ref pic while trekking through Turkey many years ago. When I saw these two I just had to snap a photo - I held the camera up for the man's permission and he just smiled and continued picking the grass (maybe the poor, sad donkey was too exhausted to reach down and eat for itself! :D ) Mind you, this little donkey was probably one of the least burdened I saw - many were hidden under enormous bundles that had me wondering how their little legs could carry it all.
The biggest challenge will be the shadows I think - the donkey is half in and half out of the shade :( :rolleyes:

cj

Artistammy
02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I've got an update on my schnauzer. I got part of my underpainting done. She's 91/2"x6". I'm finding it a little tedious doing a whole body this size. lol
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Feb-2004/3341-Angelwip.JPG

Tom Christopher
02-08-2004, 09:50 PM
I started this painting this morning--can't seem to leave those warm colors alone--will have to tone down the blue--about 2 hours into the painting. Tom

SweetBabyJ
02-08-2004, 09:52 PM
Oh isn't this going to be a stunningly lyrical piece! Nice job!

Dyin
02-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Tom...that looks great...I've gotten behind on my landscape practice piece...but i"ll get to it...
that schnauzer is looking good...and I would think that WOULD be tedious!!!

eileenclaire
02-09-2004, 06:28 AM
cj, love your composition on that, hope putting it up here helps you to get it done.

Tammy, you've got a great likeness on your shnauzer already, looking forward to more.

Tom, do you do a sketch first, or do you proceed right to the painting? In two hours you have accomplished a great deal.

meowmeow
02-09-2004, 07:11 AM
Very nice Tom! I like the curvy composition.

Sandy

Dark_Shades
02-09-2004, 07:17 AM
Ohhh some goodies ........ definately got a good likeness Tammy....
love your donkey CJ...... Tom, could you feel the vibes yesterday.... as I was painting a tree, and kept thinking........ now try and do it like Tom :D .. seemed to work as everyone liked it...... or perhaps they were just lying lol ..... another stunner Tom .... love it :clap: ...... now do I go back to what series I was going on...... or do I try another tree and see if it was Really a One off :eek: :)

Kathryn Wilson
02-09-2004, 10:16 AM
Tammy, you've got a good likeness already! I know what you mean about small, I keep on wanting to paint bigger and bigger on those small pieces.

Tom: Another great looking landscape - I'm with Sandy, I love those corn rows curving around like that. I'm sure you'll get just the right blue on that snow by the time you're done.

Dawn: Another church!! What a series that would make.

guilliame
02-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Oooh iv'e found the cookie jar,a lot of gems in here :D
Dyin,this pic is brill,the lace on the left is to die for the material and jewellry wonderful,it' all great and you aint done yet :clap: :D
majestaero,those horses are great,love the 2nd one,waiting on a progress pic.
DS.those ballet pics are really good,but i love the 2nd that ballet shoe is awesome :clap
pastelmama,these flowers are looking good.
Mo commented on this in the W.D.E,waiting for you to put the highlights in :D
artisttammy,like what i#m seeing here so far/
gmc,this will be good when finished,love the nose and eye :)
DFGray great figure sketches lov the last one tho :D
Ok,this is wots on my easel,charcoal and oastel,concerned that there is too much black in this,there is some dark reds and blues in the dress and hair and darkened it with charcoal,any thoughts ,is it too black :D

Mo.
02-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Super pics Barb, some of them look quite sensuous, good luck with the show.

CJ your little donkey does look a bit sad poor thing, but it's a painting worth finishing, It will be a stunner when done.
Tammy your dog is already looking majestic, hope you keep us updated.

Tom another masterpiece in the making, liking it already.
Still no advance on my bluebells. :)

Mo.
02-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Ooops missed a couple of posts, Dawn if you are going to do a series of churches, I think i have a few snaps of rutic type ones if you are interested.

Guilli, absolutely love what you are doing here, I tried this one some time ago and messed up, have yet to have another bash at it, yours is looking great!!

Dyin
02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Guilli....am liking what you have so far on this! I'd wait and see on the dress, the sleeve being lace might be distracting enough...looks great sitting on an easel like that...

Dark_Shades
02-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks for the comments.Guilly....... its finished now, not sure if the background is too fussy, though is not so much in real....... and why is it that BLUES always show up so bright :confused: ..... would of liked to have got the satin better...... but dont know how

lol, well I hadnt thought about doing a Church project lol...... but hey Mo, thats lovely of you.... yes please..... though have probs with my provider or unprovider ...... it hasnt let me have any emails for days :crying:

SweetBabyJ
02-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Guillame- that is going to be very dramatic- I like it!

You captured satin, Dawn- nice and shiny smooth. Great feather, too!

Put about 2 hours into this so far this morning, it's coming along, I think. The right-side background is a bit deeper than it shows- a little turquoise-y tint in there the cam doesn't pick up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Feb-2004/9169-coffee01.jpg

guilliame
02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey Dawn,it was the satin that knocked me over,the background blends very well and i dont think the blue is too bright not on my screen anyways the reflection is great :clap:

Dyin
02-09-2004, 02:11 PM
SBJ...you've got that cup looking like an enamel cup...and that fits....looking good on perspective...like the coffee can there....your own instincts are all that matters

Dawn...satin looks great!

Dark_Shades
02-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey Dawn,it was the satin that knocked me over,the background blends very well and i dont think the blue is too bright not on my screen anyways the reflection is great :clap:

Ohhhhhh ..... ha ... ha........ Thanks :o :D
..... gawd!!!..... what a memory Ive got of late...... could of sworn I commented on your lady lol ....... she looks lovely to me Guilly and yup can see some colours in her dress too..... well done.... and doesnt appear too black at all........

Thanks SBJ....... this set up is looking good........ and that cup is coming offthe page.... excellent..... :clap:

Dark_Shades
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
PS....... SBJ ........ hope you are taking WIP shots....... I wanna see :)

majestaero
02-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Wow, takes no time at all to fall behind here!! Forgive me for not commenting individually, they all look great.

Linda your horses are looking good, but query the hand on the horse, to me it looks as if the hand is facing palm up, love those rich chestnut browns you have there,

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do about that hand, esp. considering I'm working with ops and this paper tends to make stuff look dirty pretty quick...Figures are definitely not my forte...but, well, I keep telling myself I have to make myself do them or I'll never get better! Sigh... I've done no work on it -- I think I mentioned that it will likely stay on the shelf till I'm happy that I've got what I want for that show.

Cutting horse is nearly done. It's a bit weird to my horsey eye but I think the cutting horse people will like it anyway.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/18702-serwork72.jpg

Can't wait to see all these great WIPs done! Like those bluebells, Mo!! :p No pressure :evil:

Linda

Dyin
02-10-2004, 10:40 AM
they WILL love it Linda....On the hand..just pay attention to where the light falls...I've had the strangest hands to do and the only way to see where fingers intertwined was by paying close attention to depth of shadow...this will fall together if you hit those shadows right.

Dyin
02-10-2004, 04:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/19147-Fatima_final_jpeg.jpg

Finished!!!! Now I get to finish up the WDE and the landscape practice piece...woohoo!!!

meowmeow
02-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Wow Sue, she is gorgeous he lace on the sleeves is fantastic!!! Love it!

Yeah..it is hard to lose track in this thread...too much going on here. I know I missed some stuff. I did just finally notice the lacey lady everyone has been talking about! :D

Sandy

Dyin
02-10-2004, 05:22 PM
thanks Sandy! I know what you mean...a lot of good stuff going on here!

Kathryn Wilson
02-11-2004, 07:25 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Feb-2004/19147-Fatima_final_jpeg.jpg

Finished!!!! Now I get to finish up the WDE and the landscape practice piece...woohoo!!!

Ahhh, she's done! This turned out fantastic Sue - the lace in that sleeve really stands out - wish I could see it IRL!

Dyin
02-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Hey, thanks Kat....I wish you could too...on the WIP I realized that when I put up a ref with the hands and sleeves only that there was a huge difference in lighting, whereas in RL it was much closer. Part of the reason is taking the pic inside on a cloudy day....you know how these oil pastels get a real glow to them and never have been able to catch that. Hows the chickie coming???

Kathryn Wilson
02-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Bumping this back up to the top . . . so more things can be added!

bnoonan
02-12-2004, 06:47 PM
This month I'm also working on taking slides of my artwork before it gets shelved in the closet. It's a hassle but worth having it all documented. How do folks do this? Do you hire someone professionally to take the slides for competitions or not bother?

I've also been offered a pet portrait - just got the photos this afternoon and they aren't all that great. I'll be visiting for some support on this one.

B

Kathryn Wilson
02-13-2004, 09:07 AM
This month I'm also working on taking slides of my artwork before it gets shelved in the closet. It's a hassle but worth having it all documented. How do folks do this? Do you hire someone professionally to take the slides for competitions or not bother?

I've also been offered a pet portrait - just got the photos this afternoon and they aren't all that great. I'll be visiting for some support on this one.

B

Hi Barb: I would think that a professional job would be cost prohibitive - I do believe you can have digital pix turned into slides tho. It all depends on how you feel your photos turn out.

I see that you have posted for help with the airdale - I would think that the breed club would have photos on the internet - or try the American Kennel Club site.

guilliame
02-13-2004, 12:46 PM
Hey Sue,i knew this was gonna be good,as i said before the lace is to die for ,and everything else is just super :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
02-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Great Job there Sue.... was this for fun or a commission? ..... cant remember if you said..... turned out beautifully
.... well this is what is on my easel as such lol .... seeing as I dont have one :) ..... started tonight...... its late now, suppose better get off, and have a nice cup of tea and a good book

Dyin
02-13-2004, 07:11 PM
thanks Guilli and Dawn...was a practice piece, really. Dawn...what a cosy little scene you have there...nice!

Kathryn Wilson
02-13-2004, 08:05 PM
Great Job there Sue.... was this for fun or a commission? ..... cant remember if you said..... turned out beautifully
.... well this is what is on my easel as such lol .... seeing as I dont have one :) ..... started tonight...... its late now, suppose better get off, and have a nice cup of tea and a good book

Dawn: I think this is going to be a stunner! All kinds of wonderful colors. The book, the table, the spoon all look tremendous. The lovely little cup has some elipse problems, might want to look at those. I know you've just started, so I'm sure you'll get it right. What is the object in the upper right?

bnoonan
02-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Dawn - nice stuff! I love the feeling of this and the rich use of colors.

Excellent!

Barb

eileenclaire
02-13-2004, 08:56 PM
started tonight...... its late now, suppose better get off, and have a nice cup of tea and a good book

You just started this tonight, Dark Shades? Please reveal your secret for creating a beautiful work of art in such a short time frame! I would love to join you for that cup of tea.

Sue, this was a practice piece? Can't wait to see what the practice was leading up to!

Dark_Shades
02-14-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks Sue, Kat, Barb, Eileen.. for your comments...... yeah Kat lol.. tell me about the elipses lol.... what I tend to do is build up the layers to something that I am looking for then knock the elipses back in to shape, then build up some more... and repeat lol..... ha!, you ought to have seen the saucer just before this posting, lol it was the shape of a rugby ball hee hee.... tonight I will working more on getting the right shape for the main part of the cup.... actually I was going to ask you guys....... that 'thing' top right..... was going to be some sort of cloth.... not quite sure myself lol what it is in the photo.... pehaps a soft folded napkin? .... but I was wondering what I could replace it with.... it has stopped me in my tracks, and not sure what to do with that yet.... though I like the colours....... its a night time pic some all coming up darker..... Eileen I really do put it down to the Art Spectrum texture.... it takes the pastel so thickly to start with, so enables you to work so much quicker..... love it... you should try it if you havent already....... and yeah come on over..... the kettle is on :)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!!! ....... Hope you all get spoilt rotten :D

meowmeow
02-14-2004, 08:21 AM
That's great Dawn...you really can crank them out. You were pretty bold with the colors here. I like it!

SAndy

Dyin
02-14-2004, 10:14 AM
Dawn....how about just blending to a background with those colors back there...then you have your essential odd numbered still life.

Happy Valentines to you too....got a rose AND a heart shaped tin of chocolate! ooooh! :)

Kathryn Wilson
02-14-2004, 10:40 AM
Hey Dawn: If I didn't remark on that saucer, I should have - the shape is perfect! I think the liquid in the cup maybe throwing your eye off too - just something not right there - but I know you'll get it.

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL YOU SWEETIES AND SWEETHEARTS!! Roses and dinner out, what could be better!

Dark_Shades
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Sounds Perfect Sue.. ....... working on this more, and your suggestion for the background...... thoughts please....... been working on other parts too.... how comes this part takes more time than the initial lol ..... put an elipse in with PSP.... still needs twicking.... night time pic, and had to use brighten..... hopefully can get a day light pic tomorrow

Dyin
02-14-2004, 06:56 PM
looks good, Dawn....but your spoon seems to be a bit heavy for the saucer...it's bowing there just a touch!

Tom Christopher
02-14-2004, 07:34 PM
I thought I would post one painting I have been struggling with -- I'm trying to capture a scene outside of town as the fog lifts--any suggestions /comments are much appreciated-- Tom
..started this piece this morning.......

Dyin
02-14-2004, 07:37 PM
yah, as if the student knows anything, Tom! Buuuuuut...perhaps if you had the fog effect a touch cooler???? Very pretty, kind of Christmasy scene.

Dark_Shades
02-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Thanks Sue lol .... not quite down to the spoon yet..... still trying to sort out the elipses.... Ohhhhh for a steady hand lol.... get so far and then my hand twitches..... and off I go again.......

Tom....... your work is beautiful...... nothing to crit there at all ..... love it :clap: ........ ps....... Ill be working back on your suggestions...... got one more sheet left ONLY of Art Spectrum

Kathryn Wilson
02-14-2004, 10:53 PM
I thought I would post one painting I have been struggling with -- I'm trying to capture a scene outside of town as the fog lifts--any suggestions /comments are much appreciated-- Tom
..started this piece this morning.......

Aaaand, what is it you are struggling with here??? I can't see much to nitpik on here - I think the dark line (water?) is a bit harsh for this scene - if there is fog, wouldn't there be fog rising from the water?? therefore, that part of the painting would be softer. I like the background trees - that's effective - and the corn rows look right. Might the pine trees be bluer to recede them a bit? Another one of your smashing paintings - not much to work on here. :clap:

DGrau
02-15-2004, 12:05 PM
This month I'm also working on taking slides of my artwork before it gets shelved in the closet. It's a hassle but worth having it all documented. How do folks do this? Do you hire someone professionally to take the slides for competitions or not bother B

Thought perhaps you may find this link of some value. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to get it on here directly, so will have to give directions to it.
www.artsfortheparks.com
When that comes up look at left column and click on ..entering contest
When that comes up scroll down to heading titled.. What makes the Top 100, towards the bottom of that click on link...your slide be of the highest quality.
Then read article by photographer, David Swift.
D.

Dyin
02-15-2004, 12:32 PM
excellent, excellent article on slide taking....talked me right out of ever trying it! lol....but thanks for the link for sure...marked it in case I go insane one day and want to spend a fortune on a good SLR etc, etc, etc....

guilliame
02-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Sounds Perfect Sue.. ....... working on this more, and your suggestion for the background...... thoughts please....... been working on other parts too.... how comes this part takes more time than the initial lol ..... put an elipse in with PSP.... still needs twicking.... night time pic, and had to use brighten..... hopefully can get a day light pic tomorrow
Hey DS,what a wonderful web of colour this is,love the vase and tea cup and the decor on the cup thro the reflections down to the tea stains,haven't got my tizer bottle glasses on :D but your elipses look fine to me if they are slightly off it doesn't spoil the painting.nice one :clap:

bnoonan
02-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Thought perhaps you may find this link of some value. Sorry, couldn't figure out how to get it on here directly, so will have to give directions to it.
www.artsfortheparks.com
When that comes up scroll down to heading titled.. What makes the Top 100, towards the bottom of that click on link...your slide be of the highest quality.
D.

Fantastic article - thanks I'll read each and every detail. This is great!!!

thanks again, Barb

Kathryn Wilson
02-15-2004, 04:04 PM
www.artsfortheparks.com
D.

Thanks for the link! The article on photographing your artwork was fascinating and I spent an enjoyable afternoon perusing through the winners paintings. Beautiful! Sad to say, not many pastels :(

DGrau
02-15-2004, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the link!

Your all welcome..glad you enjoyed the site kyle{spent many an hour there myself over the years}
Dyin..laughed when I read your reply..didnt mean to scare anyone away from it, ;) or have em rushin out to buy slr's, just figured if one was to set up proper lighting for the type of camera they were useing and following how to square up the camera as explained it would grealy improve their likeness of their work.
Best to yah all
David

Dyin
02-15-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the link!

Your all welcome..glad you enjoyed the site kyle{spent many an hour there myself over the years}
Dyin..laughed when I read your reply..didnt mean to scare anyone away from it, ;) or have em rushin out to buy slr's, just figured if one was to set up proper lighting for the type of camera they were useing and following how to square up the camera as explained it would grealy improve their likeness of their work.
Best to yah all
David

Well, I have a nice 35mm camera but it has the viewfinder and the lens seperate...so whenever I take a pic I doesn't line up the way I framed it...and that seems to be the point of the article...so now I do digi but I still get a warpage, but that's due to no tripod, I use macro. Plus you can't do professional quality slides from jpegs, I don't think. But it was the best article I've ever seen on the subject! If you have tips on the camera like I have...I might try it!

Kathryn Wilson
02-16-2004, 02:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Feb-2004/14941-red-rose-a.JPG

I've always wanted to do a "maco" painting of a rose - but always got stuck with poor photos to work from. This one is an actual rose out of my Valentine's bouquet - I couldn't quite get the color right out of my camera - it is a deeper red.

This is on Art Spectrum primed mat board (Aubergene color). I wanted the rose to reflect that it almost looks like velvet, so I blended quite a bit of the colors to get a softer look. The background is interesting - I took all the pastel dust falling off my board, and using my tole painting brush (blunt end), swirled and pushing the dust on and into the mat board which gave it a very soft backdrop.

I plan on putting in a leaf or two (maybe) and swirling some dark greens and light yellows into the background to give it that out-of-focus look. More lights and darks in the rose are coming in the next version. I'm still getting lost in the myriad petals (I need to # them - LOL).

Dyin
02-16-2004, 02:47 PM
wow, Kat...remember that technique when you want a mist or fog effect...way cool! The one rose I did about drove me crazy...was finding myself highlighting the wrong petal over and over lol! this is looking great..can't wait to see updates!

Dark_Shades
02-16-2004, 05:59 PM
Kat ..... whats a 'maco' :confused: ..... your rose is looking lovely..... and will be stunning with the additions of leaves to it

Kathryn Wilson
02-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Kat ..... whats a 'maco' :confused: ..... your rose is looking lovely..... and will be stunning with the additions of leaves to it

Oh, poo - I meant to type "macro" which is what the photography people use to describe up close and in your face photos -

DGrau
02-16-2004, 06:41 PM
If you have tips on the camera like I have...I might try it!

Ok called someone I know and the reply was if your camera has bracketts or a square {some do and some don't}which you can see while veiwing thru the eyepeiece then you may be able to line up the painting with those, though he said he wasn't positive if it would work on something as technical as this. Sorry Dyin, is all I could find out.
Regards
David

Dyin
02-16-2004, 07:47 PM
If you have tips on the camera like I have...I might try it!

Ok called someone I know and the reply was if your camera has bracketts or a square {some do and some don't}which you can see while veiwing thru the eyepeiece then you may be able to line up the painting with those, though he said he wasn't positive if it would work on something as technical as this. Sorry Dyin, is all I could find out.
Regards
David
Oh, hey, thanks for going to all the trouble! Sadly it never comes out that way...I have the brackets and carefully line up and then am so sad :( because they're never the composition I thought they'd be. But thanks for trying... :D

SweetBabyJ
02-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Okay- this is entirely an experiment.

I've had this piece in mind for awhile now, but no matter how often I sat in front of my dresser and sketched it, no matter how many times I threw light on it looking for what I wanted, I couldn't get it. So, today I did it from my head, instead.

This is the first layer of value colours (except for the highlights on pearls and flowers- those are barely sketched in- I was moving fast and wanted to keep it that way) so I can see shapes and flow. Took about an hour, what with having to fritz with the danged reflections (that's my bed in there- I wanted it muted, so it's just blocked in sorta). It's all from "memory"- seems, for me, if it isn't in front of me *the right way*- meaning lit correctly, et al- I'm just better off doing it from my head. Looking at it causes me to fuss at it, trying to get it right.

Anyway- wish me luck- I think this might work, in the end. Rembrandts and Schminckes on Wallis, 12"x18" or so.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/9169-pearls01.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/9169-pearlsgs.jpg

Dyin
02-17-2004, 06:23 PM
I like this composition SBJ...only think is to make the mirror look reflective...just floors me the stuff you do out of your head!

SweetBabyJ
02-17-2004, 06:55 PM
ummm... I try to live in my own head, instead of anyone else's- if that makes sense. It isn't that I'm a person who automatically says "Scr*w the rules! I'll do it my way and it'll work!" but more like "If I don't try, I'll never know." So, I just do it my way and it sometimes works, sometimes fails spectacularily, but I learned, either way.

Caveat: This philosophy doesn't make points with hungry husbands who were expecting roast beef with all the trimmings, including horseradish sauce, and got stew.

SweetBabyJ
02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Here's the reflections and tulip flowers (bit not leaves) almost done (right side still needs LOTS- not much done there).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/9169-pearls02.jpg

Dyin
02-17-2004, 08:45 PM
pulling together nicely...I like the reflection of the jar that's forming in the vase.

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi SBJ: I've been watching this develop and something that pops into mind each time I view it is the tops of the tulips seem to get confused with the carving on the bed headboard. Also, there seems to be something on the left side of the painting that I'm not sure what it is - and it might hurt the composition. Since I'm still learning composition, maybe someone else can comment on these two things.

I have to admire that you are taking on doing a reflection in a mirror - so difficult to do - AND that it is all coming out of your head. I was thinking about that last night that if someone asked me to do a painting totally out of my head, I'm not sure I could do it with this kind of intricacy. :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
02-18-2004, 08:38 AM
This has been sitting on my easel now since Sunday looking just like this. :confused: :p I need a drill sargent to motivate me I reacon. It's a portrait for a friend of her hubby. He is career military and she is surprising him with this. It is gonna be a fun project and I need to get started! I know making the waves in the flag isnt gonna be easy but I dont think its over my head either. Be sure of this folks...I will ask for assistance! :p :D

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 08:49 AM
This has been sitting on my easel now since Sunday looking just like this. :confused: :p I need a drill sargent to motivate me I reacon. It's a portrait for a friend of her hubby. He is career military and she is surprising him with this. It is gonna be a fun project and I need to get started! I know making the waves in the flag isnt gonna be easy but I dont think its over my head either. Be sure of this folks...I will ask for assistance! :p :D

Angie: Take one step at a time - start with the eyes (which I think portraiturists say is the best place to start on the face - or work on the background - this is going to be great!

E-J
02-18-2004, 03:52 PM
Angie - Kat is right, START WITH THE EYES. Boy, am I learning that the hard way ... I am SO frustrated with one eye on the portrait I'm working on ... have spent HOURS and HOURS trying to redo it ... and did I mention it's REALLY FRUSTRATING ME???

I'm taking my frustration out virtually before it drives me completely nuts and I end up putting my shoe through the paper ... or smudging it for real!!! LOL :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/13865-bleeuughh.jpg

ExpressiveAngie
02-18-2004, 03:53 PM
I've decided to start with the eyes, rofl, :D

Dark_Shades
02-18-2004, 04:06 PM
well seeing as we are in to torturing ourselves...... this is my one........ more
..... GREENS :evil: lolol

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Angie - Kat is right, START WITH THE EYES. Boy, am I learning that the hard way ... I am SO frustrated with one eye on the portrait I'm working on ... have spent HOURS and HOURS trying to redo it ... and did I mention it's REALLY FRUSTRATING ME???

I'm taking my frustration out virtually before it drives me completely nuts and I end up putting my shoe through the paper ... or smudging it for real!!! LOL :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Feb-2004/13865-bleeuughh.jpg

Ooooh, better call in the Frustration Squad - breath deep, slowly, slowly - focus on my finger waving back and forth in front of your face - ahhh, now you are back with us. Hmmmmm . . . interesting little virtual portrait you have there.

Mo.
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
You folks are producing some really fine art this month, far too many for me to comment on right now, just know I'm loving them all even EJ 's abstract. :D

Applause for all. :clap: :clap: :clap:

btw, still haven't finished my bludbells, it's still on the easel looking all forlorn.:)

eileenclaire
02-18-2004, 09:55 PM
Angie: Take one step at a time - start with the eyes (which I think portraiturists say is the best place to start on the face

I know I'm definitely in the minority, but I never start with the eyes. I think if I did, I wouldn't get the portrait done. Because I love doing the eyes, and if I finished them first, that would be enough for me. I'd have lots of lovely eyes to look at, with no faces to go with them!

Kathryn Wilson
02-18-2004, 10:40 PM
well seeing as we are in to torturing ourselves...... this is my one........ more
..... GREENS :evil: lolol

Sorry Dawn, this got missed - I was trying to rescusitate E-J at the time :rolleyes: - is this the inside of a barn or shed? More greens - you make yourself suffer girl!

Dark_Shades
02-19-2004, 02:32 AM
lol Nurse Kat.... yup ...... you may need to hold my hand and check my heart rate through this lololol

Kathryn Wilson
02-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Bumping this thread back up to the top so more can be added to it - post those paintings sitting on your easel staring at you :p

Deborah Secor
02-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Here's mine. I finally found some truly free 'creative' time (not prepping demos or workshops or lessons or writing or anything else) and this popped out. It's 11x17" on the deep orange La Carte. I took the photo years ago on a trip through Rio Grande canyon on the way to Taos and love the colors. This take on it is the best so far, I think. I call it Winter Colors.

Deborah

eileenclaire
02-23-2004, 10:49 AM
Dee that is lovely! Nice to have some winter color to look at. Glad you had some free time to work on something for your own pleasure.
Here is a portrait I'm working on with my new Sennelier op's, which I am learning are a bit different to work with than the Caran D'ache.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Feb-2004/21757-Liz_thinking_wip_1.jpg

Deborah Secor
02-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Eileen, those hands are just charming--so nicely molded. The weight of the cheeks is pleasing. I'm sure the rest will be lovely too, though hard for me (a non-portraitist) to tell! Glad you shared this.

Deborah

soap
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
What a brilliant thread! I've been out of the pastel forum a little bit, and this is great to catch up on whatever everybody is doing!! There are way too many posts to comment on each and everyone - they all look so impressive!!
Mo - those bluebells look promising! The Ballet pics of Dawn....lol......we had the same thought.....love the single shoe you did....not the feather tho'...lol.....the satin is brilliant!.......ooh.....so much more...EJ is being digital....nice and different for a change :D.....that children's face of Eileenclare is just adorable.......Deborah's landscape looks loose and fun.....the pastels look like velvet! Tammy, how's that lovely doggie coming along? Oh there's so much.......

all good stuff!!

This is what I've been working on (on and off), a commissioned piece, the WIP is in the portraiture forum.

Kathryn Wilson
02-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Here's mine. I finally found some truly free 'creative' time (not prepping demos or workshops or lessons or writing or anything else) and this popped out. It's 11x17" on the deep orange La Carte. I took the photo years ago on a trip through Rio Grande canyon on the way to Taos and love the colors. This take on it is the best so far, I think. I call it Winter Colors.

Deborah

Yay dee had some time to get creative and see what she produces! All kinds of color - gee when I visited the Rio Grande near Taos, I sure didn't see these colors - it all looked real dark, like lava rock. I could not make myself walk out on that bridge to look down at the river either - vertigo!

Kathryn Wilson
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
This is what is staring at me from my easel - another beach painting that I started and just got too tired fighting the wind - this is quite large 15 x 20 and the easel kept tipping over in the sand. Will work on this week - first photo is of the tree, but a slightly different angle.

Approx. 1 hour, art spectrum primer on mat board

Mo.
02-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Love that fresh and free landscape Dee, Eileenclaire your portrait is already looking great, how do you like the Senneliers? they do take some getting used to, a lot stickier than the Caran D'ache but the colours are superb.
Sophie congrats on your commission it's absolutely stunning, :clap: I do like the richness of colours there, this must have been quite a challenge but what a masterpiece you have turned out. Your clients must be over the moon with this one, superb work! :clap:
Kat is this from your weekend plen aire? It's a simple scene but so effective, I'm wondering though whether a bit more head room for the tree would be better?
Well I've not been around much my phone has been out and that means no connection to the internet for me, this is the fourth time this month it's been 'fixed', let's hope it's the final one now, but being off line gave me a chance to paint, so decided to do a landscape, well mountainscape I s'pose,this is it so far, a long way to go yet. OP's on some sort of paper, not sure which, it's large 22" x 14"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2004/5154-mountains_wip01.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
02-24-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the crit Mo! I hemmed and hawed on that tree - then I remembered reading that if you want to have something imposing such as this tree to look that way, to cut some of the top off. This is in such an early stage, it can be changed - but still thinking on it. This is another of those paintings that when it is on the easel, it looks so much bigger and better than the photo - it is imposing, regal, lonely, time worn - I almost sold it off the easel too - someone came by and expressed an interest, but I said it was not finished and they left - oh well, another day - :rolleyes:

meowmeow
02-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Too much going on here! It all looks great! WOnderful portrait Sophie...and Eileen's got a great start on hers.
Wonderful breezy looking landscape Dee! Great colors.
I like your beach Kat. Looking forward to seeing it progress...as well as Mo's rocky mountains there.
I'm sure I have left someone out...sorry. Too much to keep track of.

Here's what I am doing...just started a new still life. I have a wonderful N. Carolina odd shaped dish that I have been wanting to paint for a while. This is Wallis with gouache and a first, thin layer of some soft pastels. It's 11x14.

You guys are too busy!!!

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
02-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, we've talked about this dish off and on and now you've gotten to do a painting! I see some flowers peeking through, but what is the round object in the back on the left? I think your Cole bowl is coming along, but somehow it is lacking in the roundness - it looks more slab-sided. Not sure how you fix this - maybe curving those black runs a bit? I know it's just starting, so I'll be watching with interest. Did you decide on a bit of cloth?

meowmeow
02-24-2004, 06:20 PM
Yep, the shape of the dish is going to be challenging. There are lots of nice lights and darks going on with it though so hopefully as the painting progresses it will take more shape. I hope.
The round thing is a light wood dish which hubby made on the lathe. It has diagonal lines from the strips of wood. It is pretty light. I am not sure I am wanting it to be quite as light as it is in real life.
The flowers in the back are actually a crewel embroidery with browns and oranges and a bit of blue. I did it a long time ago. It has good colors and they are kind of wildflowers, which sort of felt right for the N. Carolina dish. And it's all hand made stuff.
Ah, the cloth. Well...I could not find anything that was quite what I wanted so I have a piece there for shape but am sort of winging it. It will hopefuly end up being a scallop edged round lineny piece with sort of blue embroidery. I want to blue to complement the orange in the dish and the scallops on the edge and the embroidery will hopefully accent the sort of scallop edge of the dish.
So, we'll see how it progresses. Or messes. :D

Mary Robinson
02-25-2004, 08:26 PM
Sorry Mo, didn't see the new 'What's New' thread, been too busy trying to come up with ways to procrastinate myself into not having to tackle the fur. :evil:

I've gotten so far on the pups painting, and then I started procrastinating.... In order to keep myself from messing up the fur part (I did one lion once, a long, long time ago for a class study, but was only a line drawing with a few splotches of color up around the mane), I've gotten about 12 sketches done for future paintings and all transferred to paper, ready to go . I've done an underpainting for the pups, but now it's time to do the pastels part and I've never done fur before, what's the best way to go about it? Crosshatching? Lined strokes? I'm not worried about colors, I can intermingle those, but around the face there is some fuzzing and the nose area is almost smooth, and I'm a blender from way back, so do I just lay in stuff or do I blend it out in places? I know enough to paint in the direction the fur lies, but after that, I'm stuck. I saw the Russell, it's beautiful. Here's where I've stopped:

Thanks,
Mary

SweetBabyJ
02-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Oh this is going to look SO rich and nice! Great start, Mary! Use pencils for the short hairs....

Artistammy
02-28-2004, 06:39 PM
I started this pear for eBay because I didn't feel like working on those tedious hairs of my schnauzer. I'm to the nearly finished stage. As I want to sell it, please I need some constructive criticism if you see anything. Thanks. I was trying to go a little abstract but I'm not sure how. lol Reference is first.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/3341-WCref.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/3341-pearwip.jpg

Khadres
02-29-2004, 01:22 AM
I started this pear for eBay because I didn't feel like working on those tedious hairs of my schnauzer. I'm to the nearly finished stage. As I want to sell it, please I need some constructive criticism if you see anything. Thanks. I was trying to go a little abstract but I'm not sure how. lol Reference is first.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/3341-WCref.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Feb-2004/3341-pearwip.jpg

Good heavens! The one you did looks absolutely REAL...and actually more tasty than the reference! I'm not sure what more you could do to it...looks great to me, but some of the still life experts may have some suggestions for you. Looks great and I STILL want to see that schnauzer when it's done!

Mo.
02-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Sorry Mo, didn't see the new 'What's New' thread, been too busy trying to come up with ways to procrastinate myself into not having to tackle the fur. :evil:

I've gotten so far on the pups painting, and then I started procrastinating.... In order to keep myself from messing up the fur part (I did one lion once, a long, long time ago for a class study, but was only a line drawing with a few splotches of color up around the mane), I've gotten about 12 sketches done for future paintings and all transferred to paper, ready to go . I've done an underpainting for the pups, but now it's time to do the pastels part and I've never done fur before, what's the best way to go about it? Crosshatching? Lined strokes? I'm not worried about colors, I can intermingle those, but around the face there is some fuzzing and the nose area is almost smooth, and I'm a blender from way back, so do I just lay in stuff or do I blend it out in places? I know enough to paint in the direction the fur lies, but after that, I'm stuck. I saw the Russell, it's beautiful. Here's where I've stopped:

Thanks,
Mary

Mary it dpends on how much detail you want, I generally lay in blocks of colour first, and then use strokes of various colours to indicate fur, here's a crop from a dog commission of mine, it's easier to show than to explain.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2004/5154-Saffyfur.jpg
Hope this helps you and good luck!

lozz
02-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Mary it dpends on how much detail you want, I generally lay in blocks of colour first, and then use strokes of various colours to indicate fur, here's a crop from a dog commission of mine, it's easier to show than to explain.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2004/5154-Saffyfur.jpg
Hope this helps you and good luck!

Mo?

The fur looks great!

What pastels do you use. I'm trying like mad to do fur but my derwent pastel pencils seem to powdery when I try.... I'm trying to use the colin bradley method of producing fur...

lozz

Charles Perera
02-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Dyin,

This is a very beautiful portrait. You have been able to give it a very ntural effect that makes the image come alive.

Charles

majestaero
03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Glad to see everyone's been working hard! :)

I've finally taken a pic of my current OP (and finally did a bit more work on it yesterday after replenishing a mandatory colour! :D ). Have to get this done for a show in two weeks, so I'd better be posting progress soon!! It's about 11 x 14.

Linda

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Mar-2004/18702-barrrelch040301.JPG

Dyin
03-02-2004, 09:38 AM
I like this thread, but sure hard to keep up with! Wow...Linda..this one's a beauty!!!! Mary...I don't do the softies anymore but you can use blending and then a few stronger strokes to show the direction of the fur...it's great so far! Artistammy...did you ever update this...your other thread??? And Charles...thanks!!!

Artistammy
03-02-2004, 10:27 AM
Dyin,
Do you mean the schnauzer or the pear? lol I haven't done any more on the schnauzer because I didn't want to work on it until I was feeling all well. Hopefully, I will feel like working on it more soon.
The pear I updated on the new March thread. Thanks for asking.