PDA

View Full Version : My Little Sweetheart

eileenclaire
02-05-2004, 12:21 AM
This is our youngest, Liz, at 3 1/2 years old. It's 8 x 10 on Canson Mi Tientes paper, oil pastels. Any critique or comment you can give would be appreciated. I'd really like to learn all I can. Thank you for looking! Cross posted in portraiture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2004/21757-Lizzie_final_painting_sized_for_WC.jpg

Stoy Jones
02-05-2004, 01:27 AM
This is an awesome piece of work I couldn't possibly offer anything in the way of advice. Nice tilt of the head and expression for a dear little one. Nice job on the hair, too!

Stoy

Dyin
02-05-2004, 01:31 AM
You really have adorable kids, Eileen. Hard to find something to critique...it's so full of personality...perhaps the eyebrows could be a touch softer. Would love to see you try a background with a future piece though! She's just lovely!

Charles Perera
02-05-2004, 04:10 AM
This a cheerful portrait. Oil pastels intrigue me . It is a hard medium, atleast for me. You handle it very well.

Charles

spiral_world
02-05-2004, 06:05 AM
cute kid and wonderful picture....really like skin rendering..so smooth and soft
bravo :clap: :clap:
Dragica

ExpressiveAngie
02-05-2004, 06:57 AM
She is a beautiful little girl and I agree you did a great job on the skin! :clap:
Angie

sundiver
02-05-2004, 10:39 AM
This is a wonderful portrait, and even more amazing because it's done in oil pastel.
One picky-picky thing, since you asked: is one eye smaller than the other?
Having said that, there's no way I could produce a portrait like that, so feel free to ignore me!:)

eileenclaire
02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Stoy, I had a struggle with that hair, so thanks for your comment!

You really have adorable kids, Eileen.
:music: That's music to a mom's ears!! :music:

You would have to mention that B word, though wouldn't you! :evil: :D You mean I can't just rely on the paper as the background? Could you come over and do one for me? I only live in New Jersey! :D :D

Charles, thanks for your comments. It's interesting that you say it's a hard medium, I don't find it that way. But I've never tried soft pastels, maybe if I did I'd have a different perspective.

Dragica and Angie, thanks so much for your encouragement!!

sundiver, I am so glad you pointed that out. I have a feeling Liz will be an artist when she gets older, and I can imagine her scrutinizing this and saying, "Mom, why is one eye bigger than the other?" You have saved me from this embarrassment! Thank you!! I have already fixed it, please don't hesitate to comment on my work, it is much appreciated.

Dark_Shades
02-05-2004, 12:08 PM
She's beautiful and you have also done a beautiful job Eileen... the skin is wonderful and more so knowing its done in OP's .... excellent...... what I also love is the detail you get in the fabric pattern

.... absolutely well done :clap:

skintone
02-05-2004, 12:46 PM
I am beyond impressed. This is a beautiful work of art. If there was a critique that I could give, it would be that she seems a little older than 3 in the picture. The work itself is a great show of how wonderful this medium is.

Just curious, what brand of pastels were used?

eileenclaire
02-05-2004, 07:24 PM
Thank you Dark Shades!

skintone, thanks for your comments! I used Caran D'ache ops on this.

Kathryn Wilson
02-05-2004, 07:39 PM
This is our youngest, Liz, at 3 1/2 years old. It's 8 x 10 on Canson Mi Tientes paper, oil pastels. Any critique or comment you can give would be appreciated. I'd really like to learn all I can. Thank you for looking! Cross posted in portraiture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2004/21757-Lizzie_final_painting_sized_for_WC.jpg

She is adorable! Please let us all learn from you too! How do you get the skin so smooth with OP's? It's a lovely portrait and skillfully done - :clap:

binkie
02-05-2004, 08:27 PM
What a cutie!! Her eyes just sparkle. There is so much expression and personality in your work.

christmascarolnz
02-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Hi Eileen. What a beautiful little girl...such a beautiful complexion - I love the touch of pink on her cheeks.
One thing I see is where her top's neckline meets her skin - I was wondering whether there should be a little hint more of shadow to suggest the thickness of the fabric and where it goes up around her shoulder (viewer's right).
I certainly look forward to seeing more of your work.
Cheers,
Carol

eileenclaire
02-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks Kat! I use a tortillon for the skin tones, the ops are all blended there.

The expression and personality I will have to credit to Liz, she is just full of both! Thanks,binkie!

Carol, I'm glad you pointed that out, it does look rather flat there. Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

Madder
02-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Lovely, well done. I think it's fine to leave it backgroundless :D
You don't want to distract attention away from this lovely 3 year old!
Madder

eileenclaire
02-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence Madder! I'd love to never have to do a background, but I really need to face my fears about it.

meowmeow
02-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nothing to critique that I see. She is adorable and you seem to have captured her so well. The detail in her hair and the shirt are wonderful.
I think you can probably get away with leaving this background alone...but if you work the background in as you go along it isn't really that hard.
I guess we all have to face our fears...but your work is so good it seems as if you should be able to add that one little component.

Sandy

Mo.
02-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Eileen, you painting is flawlessy beautiful, you should be so proud of your work.
I understand your fears about background though, as when I first did portrait commissions, even pet commissions I would not do a background, now though I feel a background is essential to bring out the full beauty of a portrait, it's not something that will come to you overnight either.
I would recommend you reading Harley Brown's book of "eternal truths for every artist" if anyone can help you with backgrounds he will.

Your daughter is so beautiful and impish.:)

Mo.:)

eileenclaire
02-07-2004, 01:03 AM
I think you can probably get away with leaving this background alone...but if you work the background in as you go along it isn't really that hard.
I guess we all have to face our fears...but your work is so good it seems as if you should be able to add that one little component.

Sandy

Sandy, thanks for your comments. I think my problem is two fold: first, I have to decide if the background is just going to be abstract colors or something realistic. Then I have to decide what colors to make it. To me those decisions are very difficult. I don't have a lot of knowledge about color. But I'm learning!

Mo, I so appreciate your comments and advice. I am going to order Harley Brown's book. And you nailed her personality with that one word: impish!

Diyart
02-07-2004, 02:58 AM

Hello,
very good portrait .. :clap: :clap: vivid and natural.
The only thing that disturbs me a bit is the strong glare in the eyes.
Probably this is coming from a reference photograph. Is the original
softer in contrast than the digital image ?

Skin and hair and expression just lovely !!
Martin

Maryeve
02-07-2004, 06:34 AM
You are very good with these! this is very nice and cute child you have there. My only observation, is that I would soften some of the edges so it doesn't have so much of a cut and paste effect..all that would take is a few smudges with your finger! Very good~

eileenclaire
02-08-2004, 05:49 AM
The only thing that disturbs me a bit is the strong glare in the eyes.
Probably this is coming from a reference photograph. Is the original
softer in contrast than the digital image ?

Skin and hair and expression just lovely !!
Martin

I was wondering if anyone would comment on this. The reference photo was from a flash camera, and I thought I did okay toning that flash down in the portrait, but I did leave the bright highlights in the eyes. You're right Martin, thank you for your observations!

Mary I appreciate that tip, thanks for looking in and commenting!

Chrisjc15
03-24-2004, 10:26 AM
You really captured a cute expression there. Great job! :)

Cheena K
03-25-2004, 05:37 AM
:clap: WOW! :clap:

TerryhLee
03-27-2004, 10:07 PM
great work eileen!!!---you should be proud of your ability, you are a true artist!---terry

eileenclaire
03-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Thanks Chris, Cheena and Terry, I appreciate your comments!

Khadres
03-28-2004, 01:00 AM
Fantastic portrait! Really encouraging to see since I'm gonna give OPs a try pretty soon here! Not portraits, tho! I don't know HOW you guys do this so well! Her personality just shines! I do agree that a few teensy softenings of lines and just a whisper of the upper eyelid's shadow would soften the light glare in the eyes, I'll bet. She'll be so proud of herself for being Mommy's model, you won't be able to bake enough cookies no matter how hard you try!

Tashabella
03-30-2004, 01:12 PM
This is just beautiful! :clap: