PDA

View Full Version : A Rose for Molly

chatfieldstudios
02-04-2004, 09:32 PM
This is my Week #16 for the Yr of Painting Project. It's about 7" square done on black paper with Prismas. I used a very tight circular stroke on this one since it had some very small places to get into and an occasional line to strengthen some edges. I really enjoyed this one and thinking about doing a much bigger floral. The photo is from the Imagelib...will look it up and post contributor.

Comments and critique welcome...as always..thanks!

Lahree
02-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Absolutely totally stupendous! I give it the "Holy Crap!" award. I kiss your ring.

marilyn h
02-04-2004, 09:57 PM
I do think that you have found your calling. Marvelous!

ICreate
02-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Very nicely done. The flower has a luminosity that catches your breath, just as a beautiful rose should. I'm also a fan of work where you feel the hand of the artist, so I like the texture I'm reading in the image as well.

jade fox
02-04-2004, 10:22 PM
I like it very much!!! I've been neglecting my CP's and pastels lately. Time to pick'em up again. :cool:

gnu
02-04-2004, 10:38 PM
AWESOME!!! love the contrast and the detail..it's just fabulous!! :clap: :clap:

bmac
02-04-2004, 11:27 PM
What they all said. :D

I really do commend you on your weekly (wow) painting projects! I would be happy if I could do a monthly cp project. Right now I'm in the, what to do next funk. :rolleyes: Do you keep each one fairly small like this one. Does that make it easier and less overwhelming?
Good job! :clap:

chatfieldstudios
02-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Oh Lori!!! Two "Holy Crap" awards in the last week!!! I'm feeling pretty cocky right now :evil: :D Seriously, you are such a fine artist...I really appreciate your opinion...Thank you!!

Thanks Marilyn...I would hope I've found something at age 56 :D Thanks so much for your encouragement. You know I admire your work and your opinion as well.

Hi ICreate! Don't think I have seen you around the forum before...Welcome! And thanks so much for your feedback. I like the "luminosity" that black paper gives, and I too like to see texture. I think I am a pastelist in a colored pencil artist body :D I love the work of Carole Katchen..she wrote a book called "Express Yourself..with Pastels".

Thanks Jade Fox...I'm happiest when I am drawing or painting...but I have down times too when I can't or won't pick up my pencil :)

Thanks Gill...the photo was awesome..it has so much color in the white petals and it had such great contrast. I am beginning to see that subjects with a lot of contrast work well for black paper and the circular stroke.

Thanks bmac! The reason most of these are small is I think I am still experimenting with what works and what doesn't. I learned to quilt a couple of years ago and made tons of small quilts. I learned much more from doing that than one huge one. I guess I thought this would be the same way. I also have some goals for this year about showing and selling....and you know how slow cp can be. So I am trying to keep them small.

Thanks again...I really do appreciate the encouragement that I find in this forum :)

CarolinaGal
02-05-2004, 12:06 AM
:eek: :music: Holy Crap squared :music:

I gotta agree with Lahree - I feel like I could fall down into this rose. I wasn't much of a fan of this circularity thing, but this one and the shells you did is just about to change my mind :o

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Georgia
(totally stalled on CPs right now)

LAartist
02-05-2004, 04:52 AM
chatfieldstudios,

Wow! This is so beautiful! I am becoming a huge fan of yours! The colors, the composition, the technique are all outstanding and were on the last one too! It is amazing your creating one every week and they are of such high quality. Can't wait to see the next one!

creative-spirit
02-05-2004, 07:02 AM
What can I say that has not already been said.....It is a stunning piece of work!! Sure to sell too.... :)

All this wonderful talent inspires me to try harder.....so keep them coming.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dave...aka...creative-spirit.

cpart
02-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Bloody fantastic, just love this painting!

Lori - Kiss your ring, has a very different meaning in the uk !:evil:

Stu

pencils4me
02-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Bloody fantastic, just love this painting!

Lori - Kiss your ring, has a very different meaning in the uk !:evil:

Stu

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!! So what does it mean there Stu? :angel:

Cindy this is wonderful, great depth and glow. Gotta agree this technique seems made for you!

:D

TJ

Fleur
02-05-2004, 09:59 AM
Breathtakingly beautiful!

cpart
02-05-2004, 10:16 AM
TJ - I Couldn't possibly elaborate, far too many woman and children in this forum :evil:

wet
02-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Cindy love seeing your weekly projects!! This is beautiful. I LOVE black paper might have to try my hand at flowers. NEVER thought I'd say that but you are such an insperation! wanda

Suzy78
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
This is simply gorgeous, and puts the rose drawing I am about to post entirely to shame! Wonderful job, I look forward to seeing more.

Suzy

Meisie
02-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm speechless.......
Can I be you #1 fan? :D Only kidding, but I do find I can look and look and look and look....and don't tire of it. I like that in art work.
Please keep 'em coming, I get all excited when I see you've posted something new!!
Meisie

RobinZ
02-05-2004, 02:56 PM
"...." "....!!" "......, ....!"

(Me being speechless!!!) How beautiful!!!!

larsnip
02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
This is Beautiful, Great technique! :clap: :clap:

Dave Larson

ShellyF
02-05-2004, 06:22 PM
Cindy, this is absolutely gorgeous!

Lahree
02-05-2004, 06:26 PM
TJ - I Couldn't possibly elaborate, far too many woman and children in this forum :evil:

Well, that's just dandy! I'll slap myself right now!

greymist
02-06-2004, 01:02 AM
I agree with everyone else... beautiful.

Lisa

arlene
02-06-2004, 09:53 AM
I think you've taken Maggie Toole's technique and improved on it...each one gets better and better...I might actually have to try this sometime...

well after i finish my cpsa piece...which might not be till the day before it's due at the rate i'm going.

chatfieldstudios
02-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Gosh, what can I say...the feedback on this piece has really been a confidence booster for me. I've learned so much from participating in this forum that I actually joined an arts council and will be going to their monthly critique. I could never have done that prior to my experience here.

Thanks to Georgia, LAartist, Dave, Stu, Toni, Fleur, Wanda, Suzy (I am sure your rose will be your style and beautiful), Meisie :D , Robin, Dave, Shelly, Lisa, and last but certainly not least...Arlene :) I always hold my breath waiting to see your reaction :D You have taught me alot about color and composition.

Lori, you bring joy to every thread you reply to :D :D

The Yr of Painting project has been such a good "kick in the behind" to keep creating. Pampe over in the Water Color forum is the moderator and they have been so helpful as well. The thing I have learned from the project is that some pieces turn out well and some don't! That's just the nature of the beast, but you have to keep practicing and learning to solve problems. It's one thing to educate yourself by reading and talking to others "about" art, and it's another thing entirely to "do" art. I have such a long way to go!

Thanks again for your time and willingness to give feedback!

JulieBoyles
02-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Cindy, this is breathtaking! :clap: :clap: :clap: Your sense of shadow and light is really wonderful not only in this piece, but in the last several you've done. I admire you for doing the painting a week project, it sounds like you're enjoying it and learning a lot too.

Again, this is wonderful and I couldn't let it get by without telling you. :D

Congratulations,

Julie

SandraB
02-07-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi Cindy!
This is beautiful! :clap: I'm interested in your technique. I'm looking forward to checking out more of your work.
Sandy

chatfieldstudios
02-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Thanks Julie! Glad you stopped by and glad you liked this piece...I think I am beginning to get a sense of light and shadow...it's taken me years to decide that's what I like. Sounds like you are exploring and trying new things...good for you!

Thanks SandraB!

BTW...the contributor for this photo in the Imagelib is Larkspur...she took an awesome photo :)

Jazz
02-12-2004, 01:44 AM
Cindy you have produced yet another remarkable piece :) ,

I too get excited when I see that you have posted another work and I am NEVER let down when the image appears -your rose is Stunning and you have most certainly made the circulism technique all your own.

I also have an amazing amount of admiration for your ability to produce a quality piece every week -WOW!! :eek: :clap:

Stu - you are a very, very bad man!! :evil: ;) I certainly dont need it explaining to me!! :D LOL

I adore the glow of pink you have achieved in the centre of the rose its sublime :)

I can't wait to see what you create next????

Big Hugs,

ALI

frida
02-14-2004, 12:03 PM
I needed to go back to look for this one, remembering clearly that it went by me, and my post seems to always go with Ali's, LOL... :)

Your rose is beautiful. You are really giving circulism a new meaning, Cindy...! Your textures are fabulous, and the way the petals emerge from the dark, turn and disappear is fabulous! Great soft edges. :clap: Great cast shadows too! And highlights!

You seem to be managing well with your weekly assignments. Good for you... :D

chatfieldstudios
02-14-2004, 03:56 PM
Thank you, Ali and Raquel! You are two of the sweetest "online" people I know. No wonder you are friends :) I'm really glad you like this piece...I had such fun creating it and I am so happy that people have responded so well to it.

It's because of this forum that I have been able to attend several art critiques with my work, and to start showing my work to the rest of the world.

Ali, I love when you are posting and giving such in depth feedback to people...and I worry when you are quiet :) I know life can be such a struggle sometimes...know that I have nothing but good thoughts for you.
Frida, I am so glad you are doing the monthly project...you have such a wonderful touch to your work. I was so happy to read that you entered a show. That takes such a leap of faith, doesn't it?

Thanks again!