View Full Version : Abstract OP 8

lgol27
02-04-2004, 05:29 AM
Name : Nostalgia
Medium : oil pastels on paper

Any comments?

Dyin
02-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Ok, so I know this is an earlier piece (when you were more outspoken :p ) and I wonder if the solidity of the colors behind are the present or is the past more real than the present? I also note they are red and green...now to me those colors are Christmas colors...so on a personal level I'd think of this as happy childhood memories. But this is an international, multi-faith community so that's probably not it...but somehow I do think those colors represent something in particular...yes? no? Also the forground shapes are very 'pregnant' and nice colors so must be full, good memories?

Mo.
02-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Hell fellow there fellow oil pastellist.:)
I'm so sorry I really have no knowledge at all when it comes to abstracts, so cannot give much of a comment except to say that your application of the op's is very smooth, are these Holbeins, they have a look of soft pastels about them.

Mo.:)

lgol27
02-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Hell fellow there fellow oil pastellist.:)
I'm so sorry I really have no knowledge at all when it comes to abstracts, so cannot give much of a comment except to say that your application of the op's is very smooth, are these Holbeins, they have a look of soft pastels about them.

Mo.:)
yes, they are Holbeins. I used to use them, but now I have moved to Senneliers.

lgol27
02-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Ok, so I know this is an earlier piece (when you were more outspoken :p ) and I wonder if the solidity of the colors behind are the present or is the past more real than the present? I also note they are red and green...now to me those colors are Christmas colors...so on a personal level I'd think of this as happy childhood memories. But this is an international, multi-faith community so that's probably not it...but somehow I do think those colors represent something in particular...yes? no? Also the forground shapes are very 'pregnant' and nice colors so must be full, good memories?

You can not be nostalgic about something bad. It is definitely some happy moment in your life you wish you could live once more.

ExpressiveAngie
02-05-2004, 06:51 AM
I have tried to paint an abstract more than once and one thing I know for sure - it is a lot harder than it looks. I enjoy looking at your paintings even tho I am ignorant to the style. :)
Angie

lgol27
02-05-2004, 08:54 AM
I have tried to paint an abstract more than once and one thing I know for sure - it is a lot harder than it looks. I enjoy looking at your paintings even tho I am ignorant to the style. :)
Angie

A lot of people don't think so, but when you do an abstract you need to make a lot of thinking beforehand.