PDA

View Full Version : Allow myself to introduce...Myself

RonMarko
08-13-2001, 10:21 PM
Hi people!
I just joined this site and think that it's fantastic!
It's great to see such a thriving internet arts community that seems so filled with
intelligence and graciousness.
My medium of choice is acrylic on canvas but am also starting some sculpture work now.
My Canvas' have been put on hold till I can finish some freelance projects and sculptures.
But if you'd like to view 4 of my pieces (I know, not much) you can do so at my website:
www.AbstractArtist.com
All comments and harassments are welcome! :-)

A sincere thanks goes out to John Salmon for introducing me to this website!

Ron

jheinrich
08-13-2001, 10:55 PM
" The Artist of the
new millennia is a person who works out 3 or 4 days a week has a domain
name and sells their work on eBay!"

I disagree wholly.

j*

salmon
08-14-2001, 07:27 AM
Hi Ron, glad you could make it to the party.
It's like coming out from the dark into the light.
Check out the new users forum for info on posting
images etc. You'll get a welcome there that you've never had from an e-community before.
Hope you get as much out of these forums as I do.
It's priceless.
Catch you and your site later.

RonMarko
08-14-2001, 01:33 PM
Thanks John - I'll check it now!
And you're right, this seems like a much better forum than the newsgroups. You can't put a price on group discussions like these!

J* - The word "eBay"should be changed to "online".
Online sales seem to me the way best way for the artist to claim the most dollar for their efforts. While it's still incredibly valuable for an artist to have an exhibit of their work in a gallery(s), this doesn't always translate to sales or even exposure. It's also very difficult to get in with a good gallery (that will enjoy taking 60 percent of you efforts) and I guarantee there are more good artists out there than there are good galleries!

I thank you for that well crafted response to my viewpoint.

Ron

jheinrich
08-14-2001, 02:14 PM
hi Ron -

Many people aren't interested in discourse, hence my abbreviated response- I wasn't interested in expounding if you weren't willing to respond.

Since you answered my question and concern, I'd just like to say I think your philosophical statement of art deserves the same clarity and thought that you afforded my inquiry.

The statement you made was general and, in my opinion, dismissing those who choose another way. I believe the future of the artist, the voice of the new millenium is one who can overlook superficial aspects such as race, nationalism, method of education, where the art sells and how often said artist 'works out'.

As to supporting online exhibitions and sales, I'm all for it and see it as more than just an acceptable format for getting your work out there. I've run into countless contemporary artists thanks to their personal pages that I would have never seen otherwise. For me, the internet is indispensable for the finding and researching of art.

An artist who doesn't have a website is missing out on a lot of exposure.

Actually, as I've given this more thought, I can tell you that my contention lies not so much in the ebay comment, but that your entire philosophy seems to be a defense against those who work differently than you, rather than a treatise on why you do what you do.

here's the excerpt in it's entirety:

(interviewer)Lastly, What is your philosophy?

(rob)My philosophy is that it should all be fun- No matter what you do in life if
you're not having fun then move on. And that Art isn't about suffering. I
think the perception that an artist has to suffer for his work is bull****.
Artists are not self-destructive hermits who shun the public. You're not an
artist because you have paint on your jeans or blue hair. The Artist of the
new millennia is a person who works out 3 or 4 days a week has a domain
name and sells their work on eBay!

why does what another person does define you as an artist?

sincerely,
jeanette*

RonMarko
08-14-2001, 05:52 PM
Hi Jennette,
People not interested in discourse should stay out of discussion groups.
I don't mind it. Expound...wholly.

It seems that you've taken my philosophy a bit out of context.
My stated philosophy is by no means a "defense against those who work differently..."
In fact it's the opposite.
That statement was made to suppress a stigma that seems attached to artists in general.

After I had said that to the interviewer, I realized that I'd probably need to explain this to artists and have no need to do so for the non-artist.
I also believe (like you, I'm sure) that art is treatise in and of itself.

>>>"why does what another person does define you as an artist?"<<<

Once again, that statement was addressing public perception and stigma.
What other people do is of no concern to me. Just stay out of my house.

My philosophy has changed since then and now reads: "A bottle of wine a day keeps the doctor away." ;-)

-Ron

colorme
08-14-2001, 08:11 PM
hey ronmarko,

welcome to wetcanvas, I like your paintings and your site, it looks very professional.:)

RonMarko
08-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Hey, thanks Colorme!
It's very basic because it's my 1st attempt at a web-page but I hope to add more to it soon.

-Ron

kptad2
08-15-2001, 02:04 PM
Welcome to WetCanvas , Ron :clap: :D
glad you could make it to the party. It's priceless
see ya around :D

ZOTMA
08-17-2001, 01:19 AM
nice looking website
enjoyed your work very much
welcome to WC
looks like you're around the corner

RonMarko
08-17-2001, 10:16 PM
Hey thanks much KPTAD2 - !!

And thanks a lot ZOTMA!
Yeah We're close...Tuscon is a great city. Much to do and see!
The weather isn't as extreme as Phoenix either - still hotter than heck though.

This is a great site!

C-Ya!

Ron