View Full Version : image transfer?

08-13-2001, 04:01 PM
occasionally i'll come across a piece of art in a magazine or gallery that says something like "image transfer on canvas with acrylic or oil". generally these look like photocopies on the piece. does anyone know how this process is done or where i can find out how it's done? thanks.

08-21-2001, 10:04 AM
Here is a definition of Polaroid image transfer:

A Polaroid transfer is an artistic photographic process which can take on different moods. It may appear to be a cross between a watercolor and a photograph. It also might seem to be an old photograph.

The image which normally would be absorbed into Polaroid photographic paper is instead absorbed into a prepared piece of watercolor paper.

The watercolor paper is prepared to help wick the image into the paper fibers. Two piece Polaroid film is exposed with the image. Before the image can transfer into the film paper it is separated. The chemical backing, normally discarded, is pressed onto the watercolor paper. A combination of heat, pressure, water, and time are used on the backing and paper. The steps and time vary depending on the desired effect. The backing and paper are separated and the image has become part of the paper. The effect has transformed the photograph.

If this interests you check out a free online book by Holly F. Dupre on the subject, it is very good.


08-21-2001, 06:22 PM
Robert Raushenberg uses an image transfer technique that involves vegetable dyes. More than that I know not. Perhaps you could find out more by researching his work.