PDA

View Full Version : OP Sunflower

SabZero
02-02-2004, 03:10 PM
18x24cm MDF with cotton canvas, Sakura Artists oil pastel...

Reference was an image from the imageLib. When I was about done with the background, I decided to do an underpainting, heh. At least for the petals, since the texture was hard to "fill" ;).

Picture from digital camera (can you put an oil pastel on a scanner safely?), greens are more saturated, the yellow slightly less.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/21610/OP_sonnenblume18x24.jpg

All critique welcome :) Oh, and how to make the edges sharper (without using your finger if possible)

EDIT: any tips on how to frame this (it's about 5mm thick)?

Dyin
02-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi...lovely! You can put a marble/gesso mixture on canvas and fill that tooth if you want. Also, you can 'push' sharp edges with a tool...I use a rubber cuticle pusher...works awesome! I don't do flowers so well, so will leave the critique to others better suited...only thing I would mention is to use a little of the complement to the orange shadows (blue) in the SAME tone...at the base to give it better depth. I love all the versions of sunflowers I get to see here...and your's is no exception!

Dark_Shades
02-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi, just wanted to say, what a lovely bright cheery picture...... brightens up the cold winter chill here

ExpressiveAngie
02-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Close crop is perfect.

Cadmium Jen
02-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Nice sunflower! :)

For sharp edges, I like to use a somewhat-dull X-Acto knife. Only works where there's layers built up though.

eileenclaire
02-02-2004, 10:55 PM
What a bright painting to enjoy on such a cold and dreary day!

can you put an oil pastel on a scanner safely?

I scan mine with no problem. Now and then I just have to wipe the scanner surface clean from little oil pastel specks.

SabZero
02-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

I was lucky that the reference photograph already had a nice crop ;)

Hm, I wonder if those rubber shapers could be used on oil pastel (the ones that look like paintbrishes). I actually was starting to push the colour around...

I will add some complementary colour on the petals, thanks for reminding me (keep forgetting, heh).

EDIT: new version (scanned this time)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2004/21610-OP_sonnenblume18x24_2.jpg

Mo.
02-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Very bright and cheerful piece of work, and yes you can scan op work safely without worries, post some more soon won't you.

Mo.:)

Artaholic
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
Lovely , waiting for the next update :)

Gerry