PDA

View Full Version : Outside The Lines- 2/01 to 2/07

Elankat
02-01-2004, 06:20 PM
What's this? No new OTL yet? Wow.

I'm in the middle of fixing a full Indian dinner. Sat down for 5 minutes (been in the kitchen for over 3 hours now). Have to go back soon.

Kheema
Basmati
Aloo Gobhi
Green Beans with Onion Paste
Raita
Vinegared Onions
Tomato Chutney

If you are a fan of Indian food, it's darn good stuff. :D

cat1hat
02-01-2004, 06:23 PM
Sounds delicious. However I've probably never tasted over half of them! :D

Reading the hall of fame...groan. So much for me to absorb! Y'all have a great week!

Cat

bmac
02-01-2004, 07:27 PM
We are having Lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and italian bread. :p But that Indian dinner sounds good too. I've only had true Indian food one time, but I don't remember what it was called. One of my co-workers is Indian and he cooked for a group of us. It was good.

I really wish we could get some of that snow that seems to be all over the place. I am a snow lover but live just far enough south that we do not get very much. This year we have had nothing except a few snow flurries. :mad:

arlene
02-01-2004, 07:41 PM
you can have our snow

frida
02-01-2004, 08:20 PM
We finally! had a gorgeous day... sunny... melting snow. Almost no clouds, no wind, and not TOO cold!

Only Indian food I prepare is Tandoori chicken, and curry chicken, but not the real thing, just some basic way an Indian neighbour taught me. Your menu sounds fantastic, LEANNE!

Wish you all a great week and a terrific month... May all our collective snow melt soon! :)

Elankat
02-01-2004, 09:32 PM
I crack myself up...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1986539#post1986539

(warning: English geek humor)

Karen Cardinal
02-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Hello all!

Just wanted to drop by real quick to let everyone know I probably won't be around for a while. Yesterday I had my (only) car reposessed. I finally have to admit defeat... this has been the suckiest 6 months of my life!
I'm trying like mad to find someone who will loan me the money I need to get the car back but I only have 7-10 days before they'll sell it and once you have a reposession on your credit rating even the loan sharks don't want to talk to you.

I hate to complain about this here, but I am probably not going to be much help to any one now, so I thought it only fair to let you know why.

I certainly hope everyone else is doing great!
Karen

arlene
02-01-2004, 10:18 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{Karen}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Wish I knew of a way to help.

frida
02-01-2004, 10:19 PM
I am so sorry about your financial troubles KAREN! I really don't know what to say, but I feel it deeply... My warmest wishes for your future in all its aspects... Take care, hang in there, keep in touch!!! :) :) :)

stalksthedawn
02-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Oh Karen, I'm so sorry. ((((((( hugs)))) I wish I could help. This past week I ran out of money to buy food for my kids (yeah I'm a horrible parent I know, but I'm doing my best...thank God for my mother) so I know how tight things can get. I hope things improve for you.

Karen Cardinal
02-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Thank you all so much for your support! It means a lot to me!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do now since we don't have a car.
I don't have any money right now and no one seems to want to buy one of my drawings for $3,000.

If I could sell 10 websites tonight I wouln't have a problem.
...are there 10 of you out there that would like a website? I'm really not kidding!

Well... anyway... sorry again for unloading on all of you!

Aleks, I'm so sorry to hear you are in a financial crunch too! I truly hope it all gets better for you!

Thank you all for lending me your shoulders!

gnu
02-02-2004, 01:48 AM
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Aleks & Karen))))))))))))))))))))))
:( boo, life can be so so unfair.... :(
I really hope great solutions will pop up for both of you..you don't deserve this..
I'm sorry I'm so far away....

LAartist
02-02-2004, 07:37 AM
Oh Karen and stalks, so sorry about the troubles. I hate money! I really really do and wish we could all go back to trading. Wouldn't life be so much better then!

Hope things start turning around VERY soon!

Best wishes to everyone!

pencils4me
02-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I feel your pain..................*sigh*

HI guys

Checking in, I've been trying to get some things done around here that are NOT art related, so I've been a bit quiet. Although I did get a pastel done :evil:.

I had planned on entering it into a little local soroptomist show (pastel catagory). This show is not juried, because they want all the pieces they can get. All have to be for sale and they keep a %, as a fund raiser. It always frustrates me because they put the CP and the graphite pieces into the "mixed media" catagory witch includes charcoal, collage, graphics and anything mixed.
It really frustrates me, as its not a small show any longer. I want to say to heck with it, and not show any of my pencil work , but is it better to have a potential sale and the exposure and not worry about what catagory it's in?

Oh yeah, and this week is nerve wracking for me ... the show "Tyler,s Hat" is in opens Thursday evening! :eek: Here, I'll send you all an invite!

http://www.scottsdaleartschool.org/special_events/BB.html

feel free to join me :evil: :D ;)

TJ ......whos off to chew down her nails

RobinZ
02-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Yuck, sorry about the money things.... :crying:

HATE Indian food. It's the only ethnic food I've tried that I really didn't like. My former next door neighbors were Indian and they really really tried... :) They had great parties with Indians from all different regions and religions (and us!) and I tried everything. The parties were great, though!

I am finishing up a golden retriever. He's lying in a field of TX bluebonnets and I have to decide how muich of that to include. Maybe I'll post it later for advice? In the meantime, am going out with an old friend to see a chick flick!! And lunch. As anyone in the NE knows, cabin fever has definitely struck big time!!!

Elankat
02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
(((((((Karen))))))))))

I don't know what else to say. :(

wet
02-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Karen that sucks!! This weekend starting this new week feels weird to me. Supposed to have a SUPER storm all the local weather guys freaking out...we got 2". So much for forcasting around here. Then there has been a guy lurking around our (very small thought safe every body knows everyone else and watches each others houses and kids and pets) neighborhood. The widower across the street called at 10 pm saying there was a man standing in our driveway. It was 10 degrees outside!! A few weeks ago someone had been in my husbands car. This is really wigging me out called the police this morning and no ones was there just answering machine!! Told you before it's a small town. Keeping a VERY close eye on the kids in this area. Then I read of ppls money woes....bad karma floating around!!! Wishing spring was here. :( wanda ps TJ have noticed that with alot of shows or contests it's like they don't know what to do with us!!

marilyn h
02-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Sorry Karen. Just dug up 5000 for my daughter's debts. Pockets are completely empty. Not a penny more will be given to help her again. A lousy year in the rears.

happymommykasie
02-02-2004, 07:43 PM
I am soooo sorry Karen and Aleks to hear about your problems.
(((((((((((HUGS))))))))) to you both and I will be sending up lots of prayers for you that brighter days will come your way.
I have been offline for a while because of computer problems. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me and my little brother came over this afternoon and fixed it in less than 10 minutes. Go figure!
I truly do feel for you two and hope that things will work out soon.
Kasie

paintedhorses
02-02-2004, 08:39 PM
(((((((Karen & Aleks))))))) I am so sorry to hear about your money woes! I wish I could help :( It is definitely not fair.

TJ, Tyler's Hat will probably win an award :) ! Too bad Scottsdale is too far for me to drive right now, I would love to see the show.

Jazz
02-02-2004, 09:02 PM
AWWWW...... {{{{{{{{KAREN and ALEX}}}}}}}}}}} :( ,

I feel so bad for you guys, life really sucks doesn't it!!! If I had the money Karen not only would I ask you to do a website for me but I would be thoroughly honoured to buy one of your artworks. Alex, I would do the same for you -your work is amazing and if I had the spare cash I would most certainly be asking for a commission to be done, I really am sorry guys! :( I hope things work out for the both of you really soon, I know how stressful bad finances can be (tell me about it -I have to rely on Jay to do my food shopping, my benefit does not cover that as well as bills, so I know what its like for you to :( ).

T-J - I know your piece of art will shine at that show even though it does not warrant its own category which royally stinks in my opinion. Your work is fabulous!! It is bound to do well :) .

Leanne -YUMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm....... I adore Indian food and I think you are fabulous to spend all that time in the kitchen preparing it -what you have on the menu sounds divine!! :) I adore creating meals for Jay but unfortunately I am limited by my injuries -I still do it but suffer for the effort later. Just standing preparing vegetables hurts but I love it so I stil do it :) . I bet your meal was a raving success :) .

I need some advice guys????????? It sounds funny but in reality it is driving me insane. You see my feet started itching several days ago and no amount of scratching will stop it. I have tried several different creams and they only seem to work for a very short while, it is driving me to insanity -does any one know of anything that might help -PLEASE!!!! The whole area of the bottom of my feet (both of them) is itching and it is very distracting, if I place my feet against somehting cool it seems to help but other than that all else has failed. I am going back to see my doc tomorrow morning but until then I am going round the bend with this!! HEYULLLPPPPP!!!!

Big Hugs you all,

ALI

bmac
02-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Ali, Are you taking a new medicine? Sometimes medications can cause a reaction like that. If not, you will probably need a perscription cream. If you can take Benedryl or similar type of over the counter meds then that may temporarily help the itching. But that is just my guess, I am no expert by any means. ;)

Karen, if I had extra money I would definately hire you to create a website. All of that computer language really confuses me. Maybe someday I can do that. Money is tight with a new teenage driver in the house, soon to be a senior in high school. :( These teenagers are too expensive. But I will be praying for you. Hope things work out for you. ;)

frida
02-02-2004, 10:00 PM
That sounds like a good idea, Beth. But if a drug causes a reaction like that, it should also be suspended right away! Do you have a rash anywhere in your body Ali? Usually around the waist or neck is a good indication of a reaction to a drug.

Good it's close to dawn there, so you would see the doctor soon. Even though it doesn't sound as a skin irritation, but rather an internal cause, cornstarch can be soothing too...

It must drive you nuts!!! :(

Edit - Darn! Your post is dated the 3rd, so you have to wait another day...!

Jazz
02-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Hi there Beth :) ,

Thanks alot for responding! I didn't even think about taking an antihistimine(*sp*) -thank you so much for that suggestion, I might even have some in my medicine draw, as I suffer with hayfever in the summer -thank you so much -that might help and it is at least worth trying :) . I will let you know if it works. I started a new pain med regime over two weeks ago but it has only been a few days that my feet have been driving me mad!! So I dont think it can be because of that??

I did have a lot of hard skin on both feet, it is because I am limited in my mobility and so I got rid of that and moisturised but only ten minutes later they started to itch again so it can't have been the rough skin! Oh! well, I will certainly try your suggestion thank you honey :) .

Big Hugs,

ALI

Asher
02-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Karen and Aleks - my best wishes that things will improve for you quickly. Believe me when I tell you that I know what you're going through, and it's hell to say the least!

Sanford

Jazz
02-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Oh! Raquel we must have been posting at the same time!! Sorry bout that!

Yes, your right it does seem to be something internal causing the problem and you are right, I dont have long to wait, I meant this morning :) So, I have approx 6 hours before I can ring my surgery then it is up to them when I get to see my doc.

I dont think I have any cornstarch?? what is that? As you know the degree and severity of pain I suffer means I cannot just stop taking my meds so I will have to wait until I see the doc, I would rather suffer with itchy feet than more pain. Yes, it is driving me nuts!!!!!!! LOL but hey I have a sense of humour about it (sort of :mad: lol). I dont have any rashes honey, I did think it might be my eczema starting up in a new place as I have it badly on my left hand and on my shins but Jay rubbed in some cream for me yesterday and I think he might have noticed if I had any spotty areas (but maybe he did not he hs awful eyesight for up close detail).

Anyhow, thank you so much for your suggestions, am I making you itchy yet?? lol talking about it? :D :evil: I will send you an e-mail soon Raquel OK?

Big Hugs,

ALI

arlene
02-02-2004, 11:50 PM
AWWWW...... {{{{{{{{KAREN and ALEX}}}}}}}}}}} :( ,

I need some advice guys????????? It sounds funny but in reality it is driving me insane. You see my feet started itching several days ago and no amount of scratching will stop it. I have tried several different creams and they only seem to work for a very short while, it is driving me to insanity -does any one know of anything that might help -PLEASE!!!! The whole area of the bottom of my feet (both of them) is itching and it is very distracting, if I place my feet against somehting cool it seems to help but other than that all else has failed. I am going back to see my doc tomorrow morning but until then I am going round the bend with this!! HEYULLLPPPPP!!!!

Big Hugs you all,

ALI

Do you have hives on your feet? and the only antihistimine that really works for itching is benedryl. But it's worth a try.

Jazz
02-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Hi! Arlene,

Thanks for responding, I think actually the antihistimine may have worked -they still itch but no where near as bad as they did, I can at least concentrate on my artwork now! Phew -before I was trying to use my cp's and every couple of minutes having to stop and scratch my feet like mad!!!! argghghhhhhh!! but at least I have had some relief from the itching now at least I can bite my lip and ignore it-thanks for that suggestion Beth.
What does 'Hives' look like? I know, I am having another thick moment? :confused: I can't see the bottom of my feet properly anyway as I am limited in my bending thanks to my back, I am hoping the doc will have a good look and have an idea of what is wrong!

How is your CPSA piece coming along Arlene? have you had much of a chance to work on it?

Big Hugs,

ALI

arlene
02-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi there Beth :) ,

Thanks alot for responding! I didn't even think about taking an antihistimine(*sp*) -thank you so much for that suggestion, I might even have some in my medicine draw, as I suffer with hayfever in the summer -thank you so much -that might help and it is at least worth trying :) . I will let you know if it works. I started a new pain med regime over two weeks ago but it has only been a few days that my feet have been driving me mad!! So I dont think it can be because of that??

ALI

Yes that can be an allergy...good example? i ate lobster for over 30 years...usually i'd have one every month or every other month...it was my favorite shell fish...well one day i developed an allergy to it...got violently ill, and it happened more then once (first time I just figured it was a bad lobster.) I was then tested and sure enough i'm allergic to most shellfish.

Meisie
02-03-2004, 03:11 AM
By now Ali, I'm sure you have had help from the GP? Cornstarch is cornflour. Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking soda for the folks in N America) also helps, mix just enough with water to make a paste and apply....however if the cause is internal, only antihistamine will help.

Meisie

Jazz
02-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Hiya!! Meisie :) ,

Nope I haven't yet, I cannot ring the surgery until 9am so only a little while to wait now, so thank you for your suggestions. The antihistamine has worked to a certain degree so I am gritting my teeth and waiting until I can get the diagnosis of the GP, anyway if it is internal caused by my pain killers I am on that is not a problem either as I am going to see him primarily to be prescribed the tablet form of morphine for my pain as the last lot did not even come close to helping so I will have a whole new lot of side effects to get used to, lol. If they kill my pain I dont care what I have to put up with besides :) .

Thank you for your suggestions, I never knew any of that?? :confused:

I will give you all an update this afternoon hopefully.

I have been working on my masters piece and have taken a photo with my new digi camera, admittedly it is not a very good photo but I will get there with practice, I am sure :) . I have also taken two shots of the snow in my back garden which happened a few days a go. It is such a rare occurence I just had to get in on film for prosperity :D .

Anyway I will try and uload them so you can see!

Jazz
02-03-2004, 03:57 AM
OOPS!! I will try again

Meisie
02-03-2004, 04:11 AM
LOL Ali, It was in England where I first saw falling snow. I was in my twenties then, and have had a love affair with snow ever since. We stayed in the Midlands and snow was unusual enough there too.
I hope your GP can help you.....
Meisie

ps 'hives' are bumpy raised areas of skin (like a giant mosquitoe bite ;) ) which is an allergic reaction like a rash is. They are very itchy and usually red.

gnu
02-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Ali..I have spent 3 days being driven crazy with an itchy race rash..it was horrendous..I was away from home, no antihistamines..
took one when I got back (claratyne..Lora tabs..Loratidine) and it improved..still there, but bearable and disappearing..very weird
I think it was an eczema reaction to a shampoo...
Put your feet on some ice for a few minutes everytime it itches.. or soak your feet in water with some salt in it..
Trust you can cope for a bit longer till your Doc can see you..

Jazz
02-03-2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the advice Gill :) ,

I am sorry to read that you had suffered a similar fate but i am glad that it is more bareable for you now! I can't use head and shoulders for that very reason, I washed my hair once with it when i was 14 yrs old and I had long hair, I rinsed it and of course as you do your damp hair lies against your skin on the back of your neck and shoulders and I developed an itchy red rash there so I never touched that stuff again, and they have never brought out a sensitive skin version of their product which I think is poor business of them, loads of ppl have sensitive skin don't you think?

I will be seeing my doc at 3.30pm, I couldn't get an earlier appointment and Jay is driving over just to take me, isn't he sweet? it is an hour and a half journey to get to mine from him. But he knows how hard and painful it is for me to walk the distance from my home to the surgery and back. Hopefully and finger's crossed (everyone please keep everything crossed for me) he can sort out this itching problem for me but more importantly he can put me on morphine and that will hopefully mean I can be more of an active member of society (I think I have forgotten how? :confused: ).

Anyway, that is what I desperately want -for my pain to be controlled to the extent that I can walk my dogs and do my housework without being in extreme pain whilst doing so and not be in abject misery from the severe pain I suffer after any activity. Wouldn't that be cool? :)

Big Hugs to everyone for all your advice,

ALI

marilyn h
02-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Ali, so concerned for you. It sounds like hives. Red bumpy skin that itches where ever it pops up. I am allergic to penecillian and sulphur drugs. Found that out as a 8 year old. It hurts to walk and move.

I have such empathy for you. You have gone through so much. Do take care and keep Ice on your feet.

Marilyn

cpart
02-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Karen and Alex, I hope that your situations get better for you soon.

Ali, hope you have your itch sorted now. We got a bit of snow here in Wiltshire, was odd, because there was thunder and lightning at the same time.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

Stu

arlene
02-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Hi! Arlene,

Thanks for responding, I think actually the antihistimine may have worked -they still itch but no where near as bad as they did, I can at least concentrate on my artwork now! Phew -before I was trying to use my cp's and every couple of minutes having to stop and scratch my feet like mad!!!! argghghhhhhh!! but at least I have had some relief from the itching now at least I can bite my lip and ignore it-thanks for that suggestion Beth.
What does 'Hives' look like? I know, I am having another thick moment? :confused: I can't see the bottom of my feet properly anyway as I am limited in my bending thanks to my back, I am hoping the doc will have a good look and have an idea of what is wrong!

How is your CPSA piece coming along Arlene? have you had much of a chance to work on it?

Big Hugs,

ALI

Hives are raised red bumps...they constantly change position...it sounds like an allergy...

piece is coming along...should be able to have a scan sometime soon.

gnu
02-03-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone..popping in before my day starts..
I am wrapt...for about a month I've been searching for a book cover pic I've seen, that i THOUGHT was painted by a living artist(it's so hard to tell what the acknowledgements refer to in book covers, the authour pic, the design, or the art!!)
anyway the painting is the most amazing still life I've ever seen..
yesterday, went to the library in search of some fiction reading...lo and behold, there's a different book (!!!) with the same still life featured..
story looked ok, but I borrowed it for it's cover.. :D :D
turns out it's from a Master.Jan Van Huysum...I now have a very very large clear image of it downloaded...yay..
I am going to do one like this one day soon..perhaps in acrylic, perhaps CP..
I will pick branches of fruit like he did, and lay it all down on a surface, interlace some flowers, other fruit and try to capture that light!!
I will post the Master art when I'm ready to do the Master's project, but I MUST finish my current still life first..
now, to decide, so I can photograph some possibilties for my own future still life ..shall my fruit be apples(being picked any day,) or oranges and lemons..pick in winter..???? or maybe the neighbours grapes??:D:D:D

Meisie
02-03-2004, 04:55 PM
The neighbour's grapes! :D
Meisie

frida
02-03-2004, 06:01 PM
HELP, PLEASE!
I couldn't be more frustrated!!! :mad:

Here I am, working on my January CP painting... First I impressed many lines when transfering using Col-erase pencils. Then I grossly underestimated how involved my subject matter is.

I started with a light base of pastels, and used Polychromos on some areas, Bruynzeel and Prismas on most. Could it be that the pastel clogged the tooth? I am using Stonehenge. And BTW... which side most of you use? One has like a weave pattern I don't like, the other doesn't. This is the one I use. I finish some areas, and a while later I notice part of the pigment has come off! :( I am using fixative so I can make it stay. And this seems to happen more where I applied Bruynzeels, which I decided to use in the first place because of the issue of lighfastness around reds. On areas where I have a lot of Prismas I am not having that problem, actually.

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate them... :D

wet
02-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Raquel I've had this problem and I'm sure there is a tread somewhere descussing this very thing. My masters project started flaking when I tried to layer more after sprayed fixative. I only used prismas so not sure if its paper fixative or what. VERY frustrating thought. Ali what kind of pain meds do you use some of the codiene based ones made my face and legs itch like mad!! How can you concentrate after taking benadryl it knocks me on my arse!! :D wanda

Elankat
02-03-2004, 08:19 PM
HELP, PLEASE!

Here I am, working on my January CP painting... First I impressed many lines when transfering using Col-erase pencils. Then I grossly underestimated how involved my subject matter is.

I started with a light base of pastels, and used Polychromos on some areas, Bruynzeel and Prismas on most. Could it be that the pastel clogged the tooth? I am using Stonehenge. And BTW... which side most of you use? One has like a weave pattern I don't like, the other doesn't. This is the one I use. I finish some areas, and a while later I notice part of the pigment has come off! :( I am using fixative so I can make it stay. And this seems to happen more where I applied Bruynzeels, which I decided to use in the first place because of the issue of lighfastness around reds. On areas where I have a lot of Prismas I am not having that problem, actually.

I have never combined pastels with cp, so I don't have any personal basis for advice. However, I can say that Raye has used them and stated that she can not use Stonehenge because of issues with the tooth. Keep in mind that Stonehenge is a printmaker's paper and is not a good paper for pastels. As far as the problem with the Bruynzeels, it might be because they are less waxy than the Prismas and don't work as well with the pastels. Hard to say.

pencils4me
02-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Sorry to hear of your paper troubles Raquel! I've never combined mine either so I'm no help :(

On the other hand........I'm glad to hear the benadryl is a foot saver! LOL. My sister whos a year younger than i am, was allergic to cantalope and would break out in huge hives!!! Of course I plead innocent anytime she tells ppl I used to give her canalope on purpose :angel:

:D

TJ

Jazz
02-03-2004, 09:11 PM
AWWWWwww... Raquel -I am so sorry to read that your piece is causing you sooo.. much frustration, after seeing your B/W version I was knocked off my feet by all the detail and the incredible range of values you have achieved wirh it. Unfortunately, I am clueless about your problem but hopefully, some of these fine folks will be able to offer solutions for you hon. I am sorry, I know you have put your heart and soul into that piece and it was coming along beautifully. Let me know how it goes OK?

Thank you Marilyn for your show of concern and empathy, I really appreciate it. My feet are not too bad now, still itching but not as ferociously as they were, phew! :)

Thank you Stu for your words of hope, I am still in hope, lol it has not happened yet but they are better :) . I hope you had a good day and have another good day tomorrow. I know I just had to capture the snow on camera it is so rare, isn't it in this country?. That sounds weird -thunder and lightning too??

Hiya! Wanda, maybe seven yrs or more ago they might have knocked me off my feet but my body is used to all the drugs it has to put up with now and I have discovered today and this evening that not even Morphine knocks me on my back! I thought it would have- being such a strong pain med...but...NO... it hardly registered on my in built rictor scale :D .

I do take some codeine based pain killers and yes they do sometimes make my skin itch but this I have never had before. Do you know, the doctor never even checked my feet just said it probably was the drugs I take and gave me no solution to the problem??? I read the leaflets you get with prescription drugs and each one mentions itching -doesn't say where just says consumer may experience some itching or rashes, rahter vague dont you think?

Anyway, I now take Dihydrocodeine 60mg at least 4 times a day and I take MST Continus(morphine sulphate) twice a day -starting with a 20mg dose and can go up to 60mg a day before i have to go back to him. I have already come to the conclussion that I need a higher dose off morphine. PLus, I also have 100mg of Phenytoin twice a day which is actually an anti -epilepsy drug but research shows more and more that thse group of drugs are good at combatting nerve pain. I finally take one called Amitryptiline if my pain is so bad I cant sleep and although I have it as a night time pain killer it works like a sleeping tablet on me so I dont take it very often. Anyway, you asked what I take and why Benadryl does not knock me off my feet, well they are a whole lot of reasons why not :( .

I am actually pretty disappointed -I guess that is what I get for expecting miracles from a drug :crying: I thought the morphine would really be helpful??? It is very upsetting to discover that I need an even stronger dose of THAT drug to be even remotely pain free. I dont know which way to turn anymore??? :crying:

I hope you have all had a better day than me,

Big Hugs(I need them if you dont) ,

ALI

I am sorry for being sad I just went to the docs this afternoon and I feel very let down and lost right now :crying:

gnu
02-03-2004, 11:09 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{(((((((((((((ALI))))))))))))))}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
:crying: oh I am so sorry you are having such a tough time..... :(
Your body can get used to painkillers..
Have you ever had any sort of treatment which gave relief in the past, that may be worth trying again? can you access a pain clinic?..
I'm not surprised the Doc didn't really know for definite about your feet...but I am surprised he didn't LOOK..to me that's negligent..(I worked as a GP nurse(office nurse) for over 7 1/2 years..you don't ever not look!!!)
apparently, once you're on more than three different meds, they cannot predict or even know what side effects you may get..not enough research has been done..prob won't be either..
I would try for something that relaxes you(in all ways), and also stretches muscles(gently) for relief..and not to stop moving..
I have had acute back injury once..I definitely know how hard it is to cope with and how restrictive..also, the usual therapy did not work well, but ultrasound did...
Keep treating those horrible symptoms on your feet, and keep us up to date, and know that we'd all be there to cheer you up if we could..you'd have no room in even the neighbourhood!!

arlene
02-04-2004, 12:53 AM
seems you should find yourself a clinic that specializes in pain management, and in therapy for you to get the most movement.

bearded bob
02-04-2004, 04:57 AM
HELP, PLEASE!

Raquel, the only artist I know over here who combines pastels with cp is Ann Swan, and I have tried her method and it works fine. She undercoats with pastels but then fixes them with a solvent - not a fixative spray. The solvent dissolves the pigments and stains the paper, so the colour is there. She then brushes off all the pastel dust - I suspect it is this chalk which is coming away from the paper, and also clogging the tooth, which is causing the problems here. The solvent she uses is Zest-it.

Hi everyone - back from teaching. Monday I was shattered, Tuesday I was reprinting card stock and sorting things out for next time. Today I am a bit more normal. Had a great time, 15 really committed students. Very hard work - 9-15 a.m. to 10 p.m, with breaks for meals and coffee but no escape for me! - but very rewarding, financially and otherwise. I sold loads of cards, and got two commissions as well as rave reviews in their assessment sheets, and was just amazed at the quality of work. The attachment was done by a man who had never used cp before - he swears!! He used to be a graphic artist though, and he showed me so many colours in the marble and the onion it was a pleasure just watching him. But as pleasing was a lady who was not great at drawing, but was so pleased with what she had done - "The best thing ever"!

{{{{{{{Ali}}}}}}}}} and {{{{{{{{{{{{Karen}}}}}}}}

billiam
02-04-2004, 07:21 AM
iwashed the whites with bleach added, and my wifes feet peeled around her toes. also alergic to some detergents. see if the doctor will prescribe an anti-depresionant,they help to block pain receiptors. different types of pain meds during the day, to not get too use'd to one kind. i have two different ones. it's a rocky road, and the bumps hurt. hope this helps. bill

wet
02-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Ali that explains it! I was going to suggest a pain clinic also do you have them over there? Maybe alternative medicine like biofeed back or hypnosis. This coming from someone who has no clue what you are and have gone throught!! Not suprised doc didn't even look at your feet....maybe he has a foot phobia! :D Hey noticed my tiny head worked!! I will figure all this computer stuff out by the time I'm 80! :rolleyes: wanda

arlene
02-04-2004, 10:53 AM
so wanda with that tinyhead does that mean you're full of bull? ;) (I'm assuming male buffalo are also bulls)

Anyway I just got done last night teaching 4 8th and 9th graders at the temple. They were broken up into groups of 4-6 and were offered art, music, drama or cooking as choices they could take.

I had been asked to teach the art group and of course it had to be related to Judaica. The session ran for 8 weeks for 1 1/2 hours each week. After teaching about color, composition, etc, they were given the choice of either working in acrylic, pen and ink or cp.

Two of the girls chose cp (unfortunately one girl last night was at a b'way show) so that's why I can only show 3 of the pieces. The presentation for each group was supposed to be last week, which I would have had to miss (I was watching the sunset in Florida and enjoying dinner in the cool night air), but because of the snowstorm last Tuesday night, class was cancelled and I got to see the presentation.

Obviously the two end ones were acrylic and the middle one cp.

wet
02-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Bulls.....I'm not sure never thought about it!! If we're wrong will be straighten out I'm sure. It must feel great for you and Bob to beable to teach. Is it even more rewarding than creating yourself? It must take a lot of patients!! But the rewards of seeing the end results must feel great. :D wanda

Meisie
02-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Bill your student did a terrific job of that! Wow, the onion and marble especially. I wonder if he's hooked? ;)
Meisie

arlene
02-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Wanda I don't know if i get more satisfaction, but I must tell you last night as the students presented their works I was beaming as if they were my own children. :D I love to see when my students "get it" and do wonderful work.

But my first love (after my kids) is creating.

gnu
02-04-2004, 04:22 PM
morning all...:)
Bill...love that artwork..the colours tie everything in so well..
Arlene..question...do you sleep?? when do you sleep???:D:D:D
You're here all during my day, and late at night, yet I KNOW our time zones are at least 5 hours(+24) different...????
The artwork of your students is great too. obviously two of them think very mathematically!!(symmetry)..
they are all very attractive, esp love the cp one...but they all show great individuality and thought..

RobinZ
02-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Arlene, what's the symbolism of the red one on the right?

Jazz
02-04-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi! Guys,

I thought I better stop in and let you know what is going on with me, I am afraid I can't stay for long I dont feel well at all but I wanted to thank you for your support and empathy given my situation, you really help me!

I am thrilled to say that my feet no longer itch -it must have been a temporary side effect to one of the drugs but its gone now!! :)

To answer the gernal query here -I have tried and tried to get put forward by my GP for different treatment and I am getting no where! An ex friend of mine had a lot less of a problem than me and her GP put her forward for absolutely EVERYTHING!! I want to get physical therapy to improve my muscles where the injuries are but they wont even offer me intensive treatment -she got it and wasted it I know I would n't. Isn't it always the same the ppl who wan to help themselves are never given the opportunity those that are just whining and moaning over nothing and revel in the attention get it all and do nothing with it. That is why we are ex friends I got sick of her problems always being so called worse than mine, I am not on this earth to compete with soemone who enjoys being ill.

Anyway, suffice to say I canot afford it myself I dont have health insurance and the NHS here depednig on where you live just wont fund the treatment. There is a place near me that does water therapy which I would love to try but it is like getting blood out of a stone. I have tried for over 7 yrs to get even my pain meds changed and that has only happened in the last few weeks, becasue I once again changed my GP -I am fed up and have had it up to my eyeballs with the medical profession here,I ma feeling totally achey drained and tearful and frnakly life royalley sucks right now! I amgoing before i make even mire of a fool of myself, I am crying again and I am so fed up of being on my own all week with this, I barley have the energy or ability right now to even cook for myself, Jay came over again tonight and had to cook for me -I hate that! I should be cookng for him he has been at work all day and then has to travel for over an hour and half then look after me its not fair on him, I cant stand this anymore

gnu
02-04-2004, 10:28 PM
OH Ali my friend..it may not seem fair on him, but he will cope OK, he's at least well..I presume, and a real friend..(don't forget it also feels good to help people)
You will not be able to see life the same as when your'e well...it's hard.. accept the help you get, your turn will come when you can help someone too..you know you've helped so many of us here when we are down, you have re-payed many times over what different folk have probably done for you..
I find we don't always get to repay the same people..
If we can think of you with lighter hearts because of the way you uplift us,
you have a gift and you give it away all the time.... :) you're a wonderful person.. :clap: :clap:

bmac
02-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Ali, hang in there! I will pray that things will get better for you soon. I know doctors can be frustrating. But keep trying to get help. Don't give up.

Arlene, I know you are proud of your students! It really does feel good when your students succeed and feel good about what they have done. I have taught high school art for 21 years and some days are sooooo frustrating because they want to 'quit', or say 'I can't' and then other days they really enjoy the process and look forward to coming to class. Those are the days that keep me going. I'm sure you, Arlene and LeAnne, feel that way sometimes on this forum. I am constantly telling my students not to put themselves or their work down. :rolleyes: We hear that here quite a bit! :p

frida
02-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Just wanted to thank all the people who posted responding to my plea for help...! :clap:

Just by putting my problem in writing got me thinking that it centered around the combination of Bruynzeels and pastel (as LeAnne also stated) - Anyway... Since the pigment was just coming off, I found equivalent Prisma mixes and applied them on top. No problem. My paper had plenty of tooth left.

When I get used to produce one piece a month, and have some time to experiment, will try other ways.

I will post it later (it's being framed right now), even though the scan is not the best.

I saw at the framers a block of Fabriano #5, HP, smooth. Really nice for combining liquid whatever and dry CP...

Thanks again! :D

wet
02-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Ali I don't even know what to say sometimes it seems to me the real hell is here on earth!! Take a few days to have a pity party. Sleep,cry, eat nothing but rocky road ice cream. Then back to fighting the medical profesion because you can't give up it's your life!!wanda

cpart
02-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Ali - Hang in there, I know depression is a bitch. Wish I could say more to help, but I don't know what.

Stu

arlene
02-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Arlene, what's the symbolism of the red one on the right?

it's a dreidel with the light's burning and the men symbolize unity of all men. done in the style of keith haring.

RobinZ
02-05-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks Arlene, I thought that might be it but was wondering about the lights.

wet
02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
It's snowing like CRAZY!! The forecasters played this one down sense they screwed up the last one. It's beautiful though. Got my stonehenge yesterday and started a longhorn on it today. Started over with this stupid bovine 3 times!! Third times a charm I hope. :rolleyes: wanda

frida
02-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Willie the Groundhog came out and saw, or didn't see, his shadow (I can never remember how the story goes! :rolleyes: ), which means six more weeks of winter weather. And that means... *triumphant trumpets blasting* ... spring weather to receive Arlene after mid-March!!! :D :clap:

arlene
02-06-2004, 10:09 AM
I'll be there Raquel! Going to make my airline reservations today. Ok folks I'm almost done with my grisaille layer...of course that might mean another week of work...I'm rolling my eyes wondering how i'd ever get it done...and to think i wanted to have two for judging...sigh.

pencils4me
02-06-2004, 11:17 AM

Hi guys!

Well, had a wonderful time at the Show last night! No, I didn't come home with any awards, but the trememdous quality of the other works hanging was just awsome! How cool that my little cowboy is hanging in such company :D

There is about 75 pieces hanging, and most of them are oils. A few pastels and watercolors and I think "Tylers Hat" is the only colored pencil in the show.(Didn't find any others that I could confirm) Of course the place was packed wall to wall and it was really hard to see all the pieces. I saw WC! member DJstars oil portrait "Friend of Time" which was wonderful. I could never work so loose and still end up with something so beautiful, but she does. What an inspriation. I missed seeing DJ in person though, with all those people!

Best of show went to a georgeous 8x10 pastel of a blonde haired blue eyed little boy. Clean and fresh, and glowing. Of course it hangs right next to Tylers Hat....lol ;)

Hubby and friends said they overheard lots of wonderful comments about my pic, and I was especially pleased when he told me about the lady who said "Oh! This one brings out such emotion, I can feel it" :D How much better can it get?

Thanks for all the support you guy give, yer the best!

TJ

pencils4me
02-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Ok folks I'm almost done with my grisaille layer...of course that might mean another week of work...I'm rolling my eyes wondering how i'd ever get it done...and to think i wanted to have two for judging...sigh.

*Tap*tap*tap*tap*tap*tap............

sitting and waiting quietly :evil:

TJ

arlene
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
*Tap*tap*tap*tap*tap*tap............

sitting and waiting quietly :evil:

TJ
oh the pressure!

pinkrybns
02-06-2004, 11:42 AM
of course that might mean another week of work...I'm rolling my eyes wondering how i'd ever get it done...and to think i wanted to have two for judging...sigh.

Well you know what to do Arlene, sheesh...get a good scanner and some Canson! Voila! heehee :evil: :p :D ;)

wet
02-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Another week! I used to think I was doing grissaile untill I read your lesson in the cp challenge. I have also been reading in the hof on the wonderful horse grissaile and trying it on a long horn steer. Keep thinking I haven't gone far enough. Very self serving question but......if you post it now and after you can demonstrate why you kept going! :D TJ don't you find those shows pump up your creative spirit? I always love seeing others works.wanda

Sue Irish
02-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Finally, I have a whole minute that is mine!!! So, of course, I scurried right over to the forum to get caught up on what's happenin'. If I only get a moment this weekend I at least want to spend it well with friends! My newest book contract came in the mail last Friday evening so I have spent the week with my nose to the grind stone and shoulder to the wheel trying to get my outline organized for my editor.

Ali: Hope you're feeling a little better!
Bob: Sounds like your class was a blast. Sometimes it seems that the teacher works twice as hard as the students just to try and stay ahead of them.
Arlene: Your student's work is wonderful ... but that is to be expected with having an enthusiastic teacher to guide them. Can't wait to see the grisaille stage of your newest work.
TJ: WHAT!!! How could Tyler's Hat not take a place, that piece is fantastic!
Everyone else: Hope things are well!!!

With the last couple of posts being about grisaille I thought you might get a kick out of these. Having read a lot of the articles in the Hall of Fame by Arlene and Carrie on grisaille, the simplisity and haste behind my mini-practices are sort of ... well ... crude-simple-too quick. They are practice pieces using Arlene's Ova Project as a starting point. I wanted to see how each of the grisaille ideas worked compared to each other. But, anyway, though you might get a little smile from them.

Susan

arlene
02-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Sue looks like you used pure colors for underpainting...i almost always try and use a greyed version of the color...for ex for blue, my favored color is slate gray.

pencils4me
02-06-2004, 07:07 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

OMG!!!!!!!!

:D I just got a call from the Scottsdale Artists School......... Tyler's Hat was awarded Peoples Choice Award last night!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D

(which comes with a gift certificate from Utrecht ;) )

whooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

TJ

Sue Irish
02-06-2004, 07:10 PM
I had read one of the Hall of Fame threads by Carrie where she was doing three horse studies. She, as I remember started her chestnut horses, with of all things to my mine, lime green! So, yes, I did start the complimentary one with fairly pure colors. When I catch a moment or fifty I'll give a try at one with more muted tones for the compliment ... sounds like a good idea. Thanks, Susan

Sue Irish
02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
TJ ... Congradulations!!!

A well earned and well deserved win!

Susan

Elankat
02-06-2004, 07:15 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!

:D I just got a call from the Scottsdale Artists School......... Tyler's Hat was awarded Peoples Choice Award last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TJ

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good to know that the people have such exquisite taste. :D

arlene
02-06-2004, 07:56 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!

:D I just got a call from the Scottsdale Artists School......... Tyler's Hat was awarded Peoples Choice Award last night!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :D :D

TJ
and why would you be surprised? it's an incredible piece! Congratulations!

chatfieldstudios
02-06-2004, 07:59 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, TJ :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
It's a beautiful piece with a life of its own!!!!! You must be on "Cloud 9"!!

paintedhorses
02-06-2004, 08:24 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!

TJ

Congratulations, TJ!!!

The Cream did indeed rise to the surface :D And Tyler's Hat does truly speak to the heart-what a wonderful recognition :clap: :clap: :clap: Of course it truly deserves it!

Jeri

pencils4me
02-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Hehehe thanks guys :o , I was so excited I had to share!

Sue thank you

Leanne..thanks, LOL ain't that the truth? How come out of all those pieces of artwork, the ONLY CP piece in the show was chosen by the people? Hmmmmmmmm make ya wonder don't it? ;)

Why was I surprised Arlene? I just was. There are some seriously outstanding works hanging there with mine! Thank you!

Thank you Cindy, I'm still on cloud nine :D

Congratulations, TJ!!!

The Cream did indeed rise to the surface And Tyler's Hat does truly speak to the heart-what a wonderful recognition Of course it truly deserves it!

Jeri
((((((((((Jeri))))))))))) Hey you. :D You must have sent good vibes my way. Your the only one in this forum who has seen this piece IRL! :D Thank you so much.

TJ........ whos still floating ;)

Gorilla
02-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Congratulations Toni!
A well-deserved award.
Jeffrey

Asher
02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, TJ!!! It's a beautiful portrait and deserves the award and more. So much for judges!

Sanford

frida
02-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Congratulations Toni!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tyler's Hat is a very special piece, and absolutely deserves the award...

gnu
02-07-2004, 02:32 AM
yeah yeah yeah... :music: :music: :music:
Toni...I am SO not surprised!! :D :D :clap: :clap:
SO SO happy for you..you were being so generous to everyone elses work there...but we can all see the amazing talent and skill in rendering this beautiful piece..CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Meisie
02-07-2004, 03:37 AM
TJ!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
GUess who stole the peoples' hearts! :D
Meisie

Meisie
02-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Sue I just love your egg studies! Won't you put them in another thread for us, so we won't loose them when the next OTL is started? I'd like to see and compare the other samples you're hoping to make -in your free time of course- :D
To me a picture speaks a 1000 words.....pretty please ;)
Meisie

bearded bob
02-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Many congratulations Toni - you got the one that matters!

marilyn h
02-07-2004, 07:09 AM

OMG!!!!!!!!

TJ

Toni: Nothing could have been so wonderful as to hear this great news. You deserve every gift you recieve. You have a Master's given talent. Hurray for you! I do hope you are entering it into CPSA!!!!!

Congrats! Marilyn

pencils4me
02-07-2004, 09:48 AM
Morning guys

My feetsies are mostly on the ground this morning...... but the :D is still there. hehehe

Jeffrey, Sanford, Raquel, gnu, meisie, bob your exactly right, I got the one that matters :D , Thank you guys for the support!

(((Marilyn))) Thank you so much, we've seen each others works for a long time now. Yes, this slide is going to the cpsa, Cuz I don't want arlenes hammer after me.

TJ

Elankat
02-07-2004, 02:03 PM
(((Marilyn))) Thank you so much, we've seen each others works for a long time now. Yes, this slide is going to the cpsa, Cuz I don't want arlenes hammer after me.

TJ

Just remember to spell your name right when you submit the slide...L-e-A-n-n-e. ;) :D

sunnyday54
02-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Congatulations TJ :clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't think judges in a mixed media show understand what a difficult medium CP is - as a matter of fact I don't think they understand it at all! But the people "know what they like" and I'm glad Tyler's Hat was it!

Lynda

pencils4me
02-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Just remember to spell your name right when you submit the slide...L-e-A-n-n-e. ;) :D

:evil: ROFL :evil: gotcha!

Lynda, How right you are. I'm glad the "people" like the cps too, but we as CP artists know all about it! ;) Whats not to love? :D

Thanks

TJ

Bendaini
02-07-2004, 02:13 PM
you can have our snow

Can I have your heater? Mines broken again.

pinkrybns
02-07-2004, 02:24 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! T.J.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Tyler's Hat" is a stunner. :)

You and others here keep at it, keep entering exhibitons/competitions and one day the judges will "get" it, I'm sure!

~ Judy

wet
02-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Toni when you said you came home that first night empty handed I was amazed cuz he is so great! I thought "what in the heck do they want?" So I am so glad the PEOPLE have spoken!!! Congratulations! Did you frame the letter ( I would :D ) wanda

paintedhorses
02-07-2004, 05:34 PM
I have posted the first few cougar pictures in the image library for everyone who wants to use them. I have many, many more and will post more as I have time.

These are 'family pictures' from our last two cougars as they grew up and we enjoyed them (and they enjoyed life!).

I have had quite a few requests for pictures of cougars, so I am just letting everyone here know they are available (Hope it's ok to post here). Thanks.

Jeri

JulieBoyles
02-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Wow! Congratulations TJ! The honor is very well deserved! Now I can't wait to see what you're doing now! Your work is always stunning!

Hi everyone! >waving< I've been keeping busy learning all about notebook computers and paint programs, were to have Giclee prints made and printers. Whew! It's been a lot of fun and I'm having a blast working on those marbles by MustCreate. I'll post a link when I get finished!

But, I miss all you guys! :crying: This forum is so great! I hope it's ok if I keep tabs on all of you and check in now and then!

Ali, I've been thinking of you and hope you're doing a little better! My thoughts are with you!

Take care everyone!

Julie

Meisie
02-08-2004, 03:12 AM
Thank you Jeri for the cougars!!! Wonderful!
Meisie

Bendaini
02-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Okay, I have something to share :)

My husband and I will be celebrating our 10th wedding aniversary in May. In all that time my husband hasn't had a wedding ring because he is alergic to most metals. They make him break out. I lost my wedding band a few years ago and we never could aford another one.

BUT! After all this time yesterday we went shopping and we saw two wedding bands, very simple in what we thought was silver, and we asked to try them on. They fit PERFECTLY! the last two they had like that, not very expencive, and both of them fit exactly right.

So we bought them. They turned out to be made of white gold and my husband hasn't had a reaction to it, so it looks like we have our wedding bands finally, after all this time.

It's so wonderful to look over at his hand and see that simple silver colored band on his finger.