PDA

View Full Version : A Question of taste...matting.

pinkrybns
02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone/anyone,

I've been thinking about matting, lately and I was wondering this:

What is your preferred method: mat up to the edge of the painting, or leave a small space between the painting's edge and the inner edge of the mat?

Why do you prefer one way over the other, or in what case/subject (or when) would/might you choose one way over the other?

In printmaking I know it's preferred to leave a space between, but this has been puzzling me with the CP's.

I also realize this can be totally subjective (taste), but I'm interested to hear.
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Judy

arlene
02-01-2004, 11:18 AM
did you read through the hall of fame? ;)

Matting and Framing (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66582)

pinkrybns
02-01-2004, 11:26 AM
did you read through the hall of fame? ;)

Matting and Framing (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66582)

Oh, I'm sorry.
Pretty stupid of me not to look there first.
:(

Asher
02-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi Judy,

I'm for matting to the edge of the painting, or even slightly inside by having a small 'bleed' area all around. Allowing space between the picture has always been the preffered method in framing prints, and because of that, IMHO, devalues an original work of art. CPSA is all wet about that.

Sanford

arlene
02-01-2004, 11:31 AM
yes they may be all wet, but if entering their show it's best to do it the way they suggest.

arlene
02-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Don't be sad Judy...I'm just pushing your buttons...truth is there's alot more that can be said on the subject.

pinkrybns
02-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Hi Judy,

I'm for matting to the edge of the painting, or even slightly inside by having a small 'bleed' area all around. Allowing space between the picture has always been the preffered method in framing prints, and because of that, IMHO, devalues an original work of art. CPSA is all wet about that.

Sanford

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from.
CP is different than printmaking (etchings, engravings, etc.), so that's why I am asking this question.

Thanks for your opinion Sanford.

Arlene:
I just now read the HOF thread and my question is more about leaving the space, than what color choice, or size, the mat or frame should be.

Although the examples in the HOF thread pretty much all show matting up to the edge of the painting, I am curious about when/why someone might choose (or not choose) to leave that tiny space (barring covering up nasty messes on an edge, btw).

Anyway, I did read the HOF thread and thanks for reminding me it was there.

~ Judy

Edited to add: I'll try not to be sad, hard to do these days. BUT I digress, I just want to read what others think about this matting topic. Boring huh? lol

Lahree
02-01-2004, 11:54 AM
I matt to the edge. I have to because most of the time my edges are messy. WHo wants to see scribble messes? I joined my local art society here in Texas and we just did a slide show of entries in an upcoming art show and not one person showed edges in their slides (325 slides). Everyone had their slide crisply edged with silver tape or some other method, so what showed on the wall was what you would see when framed or matted.

I just have a preference for matting to the edge. I don't know why exactly--I just think it looks neater (as in crisper?).

arlene
02-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Personally if I'm not doing it for the CPSA, I double mat right up to the edge.

Asher
02-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Oh sure, if I'm going to submit something to CPSA I'll march in step with everyone else. Once in a while I try not to shoot myself in the foot.

Sanford

Elankat
02-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I mat to the edge. I tend to agree with Asher. Leaving a space is for prints imo. As far as the CPSA goes...slides shouldn't show edges, so it makes no impact on getting in. It's not in their framing rules, so they would still be hanging it if it's accepted. I suppose it may affect a prize decision, but imo, if something like that affects a prize decision, I wouldn't want the prize anyhow.

You have to send in your framed size in when you submit the piece. So, it's something that has to be decided on before you even submit. My personal opinion is that if it's important to you, then leave the space. If it isn't, then don't. I don't think it's a "deal breaker." Then again, that's my uninformed opinion. :D Even though most of my pieces have incredibly clean edges, there's something about leaving my edges exposed that just feels wrong...naked and maybe a bit tacky. I don't know. It's hard to explain.

My personal preference is 3" to 4" bottom weighted double or single mat in cream or black, matted right to the edge. I don't like cuts, carves, or anything else that takes attention away from the art. If double matting, I typically use the same color for both mats. Occasionally it is the same color group, but 1 or 2 steps difference in value. Frames are black or gold and no more than 1.75" wide, depending on the piece. I suppose I'd consider wood or silver if needed.

arlene
02-01-2004, 12:41 PM
my mats are always a neutral color...the darkest i'd go is with a taupe. And I used to frame with a gold metal frame, but having done shows, i've noticed more and more artists framing with a simple wood frame...usually in gold.

I found a gold wood frame I like that's about 1" wide and it's perfect for my work. For my largest pieces I use their 2" frame that is similar in look. I hate the look of bottom weighting a mat, so don't. On my smaller pieces my mats are 3 1/2" wide and on the biggest pieces they're 4".

Asher
02-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Arlene, when you say 'gold' do you mean that the wood has been painted gold or is it just a honey colored wood?

Sanford

Elankat
02-01-2004, 01:32 PM
I feel the need to clarify. The black or gold frames that I use are painted wood. I don't tend to use metal because I have an easier time working with wood frames when installing hangers, dust covers, etc. Plus, I don't like the shiny look that metal frames have. That's just my personal bias though. I typically use a black mat and black frame for certain graphite or pen & ink work. For things that hang in my house, I favor a wood frame that is cream and gold.

pinkrybns
02-01-2004, 01:39 PM
And metal frames scratch up in the worst way! Difficult if you have to transport them here & there to shows.

I would personally choose a blond or neutral wood, nothing terribly dark, but that's my personal choice.

And:
Just to say Thanks Ladies & Gent, it seems this is a topic of interest.

arlene
02-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Arlene, when you say 'gold' do you mean that the wood has been painted gold or is it just a honey colored wood?

Sanford
painted

Meisie
02-02-2004, 02:56 AM
I'm interested in this too! ;)
Meisie

gealflings
02-02-2004, 07:00 AM
I've spent a lot of time in framing stores over the past few weeks since I started working on this art show (giving stacks of registration forms), and, let me tell you, I've seen some really interesting (read: horrible) use of mat.

for example: A tiny painting that was relatively unmemorable (seeing as i can't remember what it was of, now), only about 5" square. The frame was probably at LEAST 30" to a side, black, carved, very detailed.. The rest was filled up with mat. That just seemed insane to me. All I can remember now is the frame was incredibly gaudy and there was a crap load of red mat. The other one I saw was another 5" square painting in a frame that was probably 22-24" to a side. This time, the painting was offset so that there was about 2" of mat on the top and right side, and a ton, probably 10-12" on the left and bottom (Notice that my numbers don't add up at all - I'm just guesstimating). That one at least kept popping my eye back to the painting, but the framing was overly distracting.

The moral of the story: Don't spend a lot of time in framing stores (unless you own one..hehehe)!!

LAartist
02-02-2004, 07:15 AM
ha ha ha I like what you said gealflings!

But reading this I am getting confused.... what does the CPSA want? They are all for matting up to the art or leaving a space? I have no idea what wet about that means! Does that mean they do or don't like it!? ha ha, sorry if I'm seeming dull here! :o I think you mean they are for matting to the edge, but still not sure...

"Allowing space between the picture has always been the preffered method in framing prints, and because of that, IMHO, devalues an original work of art. CPSA is all wet about that."

I have always matted my CP's to the artwork with no space showing. The only thing I've ever matted with a space between mat and picture edge were lithographs...

Hey Judy, thanks for asking this! I don't think I know the answer either...

pinkrybns
02-02-2004, 09:54 AM
The only thing I've ever matted with a space between mat and picture edge were lithographs...

that's why I asked the question...matting a print/litho/etching, etc. it is proper to leave the space, it's tradtionally done this way.

Hey Judy, thanks for asking this! I don't think I know the answer either...

LA,
You're most welcome. :) that's also why I asked, to hear different views/opinions on this.

What Ahser means by "they're all wet" is that they're crazy or goofy or nuts or out of their minds (fill in the correct adjective). It's an English idiom. Something like "estan loco"...lol bad Spanish, but you get it I imagine?! :)

Asher
02-02-2004, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the translation of "all wet", Judy. It's too easy to forget that English is a second or third language to many on this forum.

Sanford

arlene
02-02-2004, 11:31 AM
This is the cpsa's suggestions:

http://www.cpsa.org/FAQ/FAQ.Frame.html

arlene
02-02-2004, 11:33 AM
interestingly they dropped the guideline of leaving the paper...which is better for me too as my customers prefer matting to the edge.

pinkrybns
02-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the translation of "all wet", Judy. It's too easy to forget that English is a second or third language to many on this forum.

Sanford

LOL, you're welcome!
But I have to say that the first translation that came to my mind was a Dutch idiom, that loosely translates in English to this:
"they were hit by the blade of a windmill"...hahaha (Klop van de molen)

Jazz
02-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Would it be possible for someone to post the difference between the two options, I can't visualise what you all mean by leaving a space or going right up to the painting? HEYULLPP!!! )I know i am thick as a housebrick!! :confused: would it be possible to see an example of each?

Big Hugs,

ALI

Asher
02-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Geeeez!!! You don't want much, do you? lol :D

Here's a quick and dirty - I hope you can see the difference. The left one leaves a white border between the picture and the mat, while the right one has the mat to the edge of the picture. For purposes of the demo, I've exagerated the color of the mat.

Sanford

Jazz
02-03-2004, 12:05 AM
AH HA!!! ( lightbulb above my head moment!! :D )

Thank you so much Sanford, that is what I needed exactly!! I thought that is what ppl meant but my drug befuddled head sometimes has problems visualising stuff so I appreciate you doing that for me thank you! :)

I thik I prefer the one on the viewers right, no gap version.

Big Hugs to you Sanford,

ALI

Meisie
02-03-2004, 02:47 AM
"they were hit by the blade of a windmill"...hahaha (Klop van de molen)"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Thank you Judy!! What a chuckle!!! :D
Haven't heard that for a while HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
oops...sorry all :rolleyes:

"Thanks for the translation of "all wet", Judy. It's too easy to forget that English is a second or third language to many on this forum."true Sandford, dutch would be a third for me I guess? Maybe fourth???? hmmm no, third, anyway but few can say a thing like the dutch can, their expressions are priceless, and they don't mince their words.
But hey, when you folks use 'fancy' words and expressions, folks like us learn and learn and learn! ;)

Enjoying this thread......and I like my mats upto the image...but it could be simply because I don't like straight lines and neat edges? (they are sooooo boring :D )

Meisie

LAartist
02-03-2004, 03:06 AM
"Thanks for the translation of "all wet", Judy. It's too easy to forget that English is a second or third language to many on this forum."

HA HA HA! Oh no! English is my first language! I'm going to go hide under a windmolen now! :p Nah, but thank you both for the explanation, guess I've just never heard that expression before. Spanish and dutch will be my second and third languages if I ever learn them completely! Guess I better try to learn English first though! :o

Glad to see the CPSA took the suggestion of leaving a space out of thier guidlines. Thanks for mentioning that Arlene.