PDA

View Full Version : "The Spray" February, 2004

Leaflin
02-01-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi everyone :D
Only 49 days until spring!!!!
I got my respirator yesterday. The closest place that had one was 50 miles away, but it was a beautiful drive with all the snow on the mountains. I love how the snow sparkles when the sun is shining on it.
My goal for this month is to complete two 18 x 24 paintings and at least one Papier Mache' piece. I have several ideas fighting each other in my head :D

So what's everybody up to this month?

Penny220
02-01-2004, 10:15 AM
Just re-stocked the art supplies. Have idea for next painting but for the life of me I am having a hard time getting the reference photos I need. So much for the world wide web. Tomorrow I will go to the library.

Leaflin
02-01-2004, 12:28 PM
Hi Penny :)
Have you tried looking in our WC Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)?
If a search doesn't work there you can put in a request in Reference Image Library Requests/Support Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)

:D Just trying to help you stay warm!

Keith Russell
02-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Goals for February, in order of importance:

Finish prep (including finishing one to three more paintings) for a group art show that opens next Friday. (I'm also curating the show, so I have to supervise the hanging of the show, too.)

Prepare my admissions packet, student aid forms, scholarship application, and portfolio, for college this fall. (I graudated from juniour college in 1988; I'm finally going back for more!)

Finish the first five pages of the comic book I'm working on, and discuss the next 'phase' of the project with the writer.

Find a job.

K

Colorfast
02-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Just re-stocked the art supplies. I am having a hard time getting the reference photos I need.

Penny:
Colorfast Here:
Hi Penny. I bet yall thought I had been sick or just asleep for the past week. I?m doin just fine. It?s just that I have been a little busy. I see you are in need of inspiration, encouragement, ideas, or all of the above. Well, with all the snow, ice and just plain weather, this should be a given, like SSSNNNOOOWWW (Snow). I have an idea for ya. Why don?t ya do a snow scene? I know it is just an idea. Run with it!
Dave

Colorfast
02-01-2004, 02:58 PM
Penny:
Colorfast Here:

Dave
Colorfast has attached this image.

Colorfast
02-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Goals for February, in order of importance:
K
Colorfast Here:
Hey Keith:
Dave just wanted to say, "You are going to be a very busy boy." I hope ya get it all done. I have a list about that size and I still have my doubts. I have one illustration on the board that just will not go away. The more I work on it, the more I seem to have to do to it.
Good luck. I did notice ya left the hardest for last.

Dave

Penny220
02-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Penny :)
Have you tried looking in our WC Image Library (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)?
If a search doesn't work there you can put in a request in Reference Image Library Requests/Support Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)

:D Just trying to help you stay warm!

Thanks Linda but this one is a little more exotic and no, there is no reference in the library. Heck, I just left Borders and there wasn't much but I am on the right track now so hopefully if all goes well I will have what I need by tomorrow morning. Hate when you get one of those ideas in your head but oh well, maybe someone will appreciate how much I am going through to keep my theme authentic.

Penny220
02-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Dave,
This is beautiful! Nothing at all like my 12' high snow piles!!!! Is this all AB work? You certainly did pay attention to every little detail. Do tell more.

Penny

Colorfast
02-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Dave,
This is beautiful! Nothing at all like my 12' high snow piles!!!! Is this all AB work? Do tell more.
Penny

Colrfast Here:

Penny, I knew I could get you started in a different direction. SNOW! Just draw us some snow.
About the Art... This is going to be limited edition Prints, Christmas Cards, Calendars and even Puzzles. It will be in a series of 5 Prints when I finally get them finished. Wish me luck...

Later,
Dave

Penny220
02-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Speaking of which, snow is one of the most complex subjects to render, just HOW do you do it with an airbrush? I'm serious, it's not white, it's not grey, it adopts all the colors around it, it's reflective, but not quite, it's not smooth, it has serious texture, minute texture like sand but stippling won't do, so HOW do you render snow with an airbrush? I sponge it but that's NOT an airbrush.

Colorfast
02-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Speaking of which, snow is one of the most complex subjects to render, just HOW do you do it with an airbrush?

Penny, Dear Penny.
Colorfast Here:
Snow... Ya want to know how I did the Snow. Goodness, here I thought you would first want to know how I did the siding. Or better yet, I would think you would want to know how I did the roofing. The snow was the easy part.
I will have to come back and re-visit this again tomorrow to give you all the gory details. After all, it's going on 11:30 p.m. and it's passed your bedtime. Here is the first thing I should remind you of about snow, or art and drawing in general for that matter. You do remember...warm colors come forward and cool colors go back, right? What that means in short is to make the snow travel back in the artwork, add a little blue. To make the snow come forward, add a little red.
Now take another look at the art. Can you see how the snow changes colors as it moves back in the art? That is the simple part. Now, how do you make snow look like snow? That will be everyone's assignment the WC for tomorrow.
So, Say Goodnight Colorfast. "Goodnight."

Dave

Colorfast
02-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Penny, Dear Penny.
Colorfast Here:
Snow... you make snow look like snow? That will be everyone's assignment the WC for tomorrow.
So, Say Goodnight Colorfast. "Goodnight."

DaveDave has added the attachment.

Caterwallin'
02-02-2004, 01:27 PM
I have two set's of goals for this month, one is to start and complete several painting ideas that I'm tossing around and the second is to persue as many reciprocal links with other related websites and mine as I can!

Any suggestions?

I'm growing more and more frustrated with the fact that 8 out of 10 sites that offer recip links, NEVER respond!!!!!! Am I just living in a world of inconsiderate people? If they don't want to share a link, I'm fine with that, but I do expect them to at least respond!

I also have to get my poor car and my leaky roof repaired!

OK, enough of that, I'm going back down my rabbit hole now, I have a tea party to attend!

Sam
SFTS

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 02:28 PM
I have two set's of goals for this month, one is to start and complete several painting ideas that I'm tossing around and the second is to persue as many reciprocal links with other related websites and mine as I can!

Any suggestions?

I'm growing more and more frustrated with the fact that 8 out of 10 sites that offer recip links, NEVER respond!!!!!! Am I just living in a world of inconsiderate people? If they don't want to share a link, I'm fine with that, but I do expect them to at least respond!

I also have to get my poor car and my leaky roof repaired!

OK, enough of that, I'm going back down my rabbit hole now, I have a tea party to attend!

Sam
SFTS

I feel your pain on the car issue Sam. My heater went out on the way back from our shopping adventure on Saturday. Took it over to the dealership this morning, (it was soooooo cold without heat) and to repair it is going to cost $985.00 :eek: The parts are only $250.00 but they have to take out the dash board and all the computer stuff to get to it.

On the tea......one lump or two :D

Thanks Linda but this one is a little more exotic and no, there is no reference in the library. Heck, I just left Borders and there wasn't much but I am on the right track now so hopefully if all goes well I will have what I need by tomorrow morning. Hate when you get one of those ideas in your head but oh well, maybe someone will appreciate how much I am going through to keep my theme authentic.

Penny you have really got my curiosity up :D
What type of reference image are you looking for?

Leaflin
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Groundhog Day was celebrated in Punxsutawney, Pa. for the first time on this day in 1886.

German settlers had brought the tradition to the New World. The story goes that if the Groundhog comes out of his hole and sees his shadow, six more weeks of winter will follow. If not, spring is right around the corner.

Does anyone know if he saw his shadow or not?

:clap: HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY :clap:

Penny220
02-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Historically he always sees his shadow, I do not recall a year that he didn't. One year we actually were having an early spring but alas, he miss reported it that we had six weeks left. That is the only early spring I ever remember. This year the real woodchuck holes are still barried under lots of snow and there is no sign of life. I think it will be another 6 weeks before they pop their heads out. I'm sure Sheba will be the first to know. Today was a warm 28 degrees. I worked outside all day at my mother-in-laws with just a sweatshirt. Shoveled 18" of compacted snow off of her roof and had to thaw her pipes. She is VERY happy now, especially since we have another 7 inches on it's way. For those that live down south, please post a picture of the first sign of life coming up through the ground. I won't see a flower here until May.

Linda,
it's a secret.

Penny

Colorfast
02-04-2004, 01:15 AM

Any suggestions?

Sam
SFTS

Colorfast Here:
Sam:
I promised Penny that I would be back today to talk about how I make SNOW look like snow. But Sam, would you look at the time. It's after 11 p.m. and past my bedtime. Looks like I let her down again. Maybe I should find a rabbit hole myself and crawl in, what ya think?
I'm still amazed that she would want to know how I created the snow. The trees were a lot harder to do. And the siding took me too long to finish. But hey, if she wants snow, she will get some more snow. Last week she said she was getting snow and below zero weather.
Hey Penny, go for a walk and bring us back some resourse material. This summer we all will be wanting to create new Christmas Card artwork for next season.

Say goodnight Colorfast, "Goodnight".
Dave

Keith Russell
02-05-2004, 01:26 AM
Colorfast Here:
Hey Keith:
Dave just wanted to say, "You are going to be a very busy boy." I hope ya get it all done. I have a list about that size and I still have my doubts. I have one illustration on the board that just will not go away. The more I work on it, the more I seem to have to do to it.
Good luck. I did notice ya left the hardest for last.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

K

Leaflin
02-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey Keith looks like you have a busy month!
Congratulations on going back to college.
Will you have to take PE? :D

Penny, the groundhog definitely saw his shadow :(
We have another ice storm coming in tonight on into tomorrow.
Then it's headed up your way.

I finally got my car back...... $1,115.00 parts and labor :eek:

Penny220
02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
We have another ice storm coming in tonight on into tomorrow.
Then it's headed up your way.

I finally got my car back...... $1,115.00 parts and labor :eek:

Hmmm, storm is scheduled here for this evening on into tomorrow, they can't tell us yet exactly how much and of what we are going to get but it is predicted that if it is snow (I live in a higher elevation so hopefully) it will be 12 inches of snow, other areas get 2 inches of ice, then snow. Our temperatures have been in the upper 20's and my baby is starting to shed so the good news is spring really is coming. As the 12" sounds really bad, it's nothing compared to where I use to live and it's still not that big of a deal, we have different tires on our cars, we're use to driving in it, we have snow plows that pass up to every hour and we use salt on the roads. In other words, it's easier for me to get 12" of snow and ice than it is for most states to get 2"

What's up with the car business, you, Sam and me. This will be the second time I will have to have my van brought in AFTER the transmission was rebuilt. I'm not real happy about that. I already spent around $500 this week for service, tires, tie-rod, alignment.

Between the vehicles, dogs, and children it's a wonder I even try to paint! The only times I have been home all week were so I could go running back on out the door. I give up.

Sheba is doing fine, I'm quite sure if there was a rabbit in the yard she would still be able to catch it, cast or not! Spoiled rotten and playing alpha dog to her new friend. Since she won't eat canned dog food, the solid pills get rolled in sandwich meat, the powder gets mixed in a can of tuna!

ProfessorGreibowitz
02-05-2004, 10:47 PM
<soapbox>

I don't waste time on superstitions (other than bashing them :D).

They have no bearing on reality and are as useful as an astrology reading in the daily paper....

Leo:
"Avoid a confrontation today. Kindness is your best option."

Wow. Generalities such as this are good advice but bad predictions and certainly are not confined to specific birthdates. So, my personal belief is that superstitions of old should (will one day) die off and give way to truth and science. I like to walk under ladders, visit the 13th floor of buildings, avoid black eyed peas on January 1st and I own a black cat who walks in front of me every day. :eek: Strange, I'm still alive and kicking! :D

My mom is old school and often says things she learned from her mom such as "My nose is itching. Someone must be talking about me." and other sayings. I actually feel sad to think of how many people are chained to false beliefs due to ignorance and other dynamics and allow them to ru(I)n their lives. But that's a debate for another forum!

</soapbox>

Sorry if I offended anyone with my personal beliefs about groundhogs and superstition! hehehehhe

Tim

Leaflin
02-06-2004, 02:35 PM
LOL Tim :D
My daughter was born on Friday 13th and I've never been superstitious since.

Taurus
Now is a quiet period in your life, so enjoy the solitude and take time to reflect. :rolleyes:

Thought you guys would like to see the ice outside my studio this morning :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2004/1471-ice.jpg

Leaflin
02-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Sheba is doing fine, I'm quite sure if there was a rabbit in the yard she would still be able to catch it, cast or not! Spoiled rotten and playing alpha dog to her new friend. Since she won't eat canned dog food, the solid pills get rolled in sandwich meat, the powder gets mixed in a can of tuna!

Glad she is doing good Penny!
'Nick' sends his best wishes :D

Penny220
02-06-2004, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Leaflin]Thought you guys would like to see the ice outside my studio this morning :)[QUOTE]

LOL Linda, it appears you have buds starting on those trees, therefore, no sympathy from me! Besides, my kids got yet ANOTHER snowday! It's clearing up here but there is conflicting reports if it's over or if we now get another 8 inches of the white stuff. Remember to send me pics when the dog woods come in bloom.

Milo
02-06-2004, 09:42 PM
Thought you guys would like to see the ice outside my studio this morning :)

OOooo thanks for sharing.. I like the picture. We are going from about 26 when we go out to feed the horses in the morning to nearly 70 during the day.. got to love the desert...

Leaflin
02-11-2004, 11:07 PM
38 Days until SPRING!!!

LOL Linda, it appears you have buds starting on those trees, therefore, no sympathy from me! Besides, my kids got yet ANOTHER snowday! It's clearing up here but there is conflicting reports if it's over or if we now get another 8 inches of the white stuff. Remember to send me pics when the dog woods come in bloom.
02-06-2004 01:45 PM

LOL :D It got up to 47 degrees today.
Made me want to lay outside and get a tan.
We still have about 4" of snow but it's going fast.

Milo the desert sounds great!
One day I'd like to hitch up our trailer and come out that way.
There is so much to see.

I'm diligently working away at my painting and have used the airbrush on the sky and creek so when I'm done I can post it in here.
I'm also working on a piece for a competition that has to use a wine bottle.
The first step is to drink the wine :D

Milo
02-12-2004, 12:00 AM
38 Days until SPRING!!!
LOL :D It got up to 47 degrees today.
Made me want to lay outside and get a tan.
We still have about 4" of snow but it's going fast.

Chuckles do you go out and get the tan when it gets to 50.. we had a friend visit from a place it stayed very cold all winder way below zero, he wore shorts most of the time while we had coats

Milo the desert sounds great!
One day I'd like to hitch up our trailer and come out that way.
There is so much to see.

There are some beautiful area's and alot of folx come out esp during the winter!

I'm diligently working away at my painting and have used the airbrush on the sky and creek so when I'm done I can post it in here.

Great can't wait to see it.. chuckles just make sure and not paint right after drinking all that wine :)

Penny220
02-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Milo,
I have sunbathed at 38 degrees before. It followed a long stretch of -30 so it was a almost a 70 degree jump in temperature for us.

32 and above means no coat, 42 means either a sweatshirt and shorts or jeans and t-shirt.

I have two feet of hard packed snow on the ground with 4 inches of loose snow on that and my snow piles are around 12' in my lawn. My kids are loving it, they have their very own mountains to climb on and dig through. Last week was the first in day in about two months that we saw temperatures at or above 32 degrees. Today should be 33. Any time now will be the ice storms, hopefully not as bad as last year. Last year the trees that weren't uprooted split in half. A world of solid crystal is truly a sight to see. Linda gets to see it way more than I do, I'm jealous.

Penny220
02-12-2004, 08:42 AM
38 Days until SPRING!!!

What a great excuse to have to buy a bottle of wine and drink it!

Can't wait to see your new painting. I love a good landscape.

Milo
02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Milo,
I have sunbathed at 38 degrees before. It followed a long stretch of -30 so it was a almost a 70 degree jump in temperature for us.

32 and above means no coat, 42 means either a sweatshirt and shorts or jeans and t-shirt.
A world of solid crystal is truly a sight to see. Linda gets to see it way more than I do, I'm jealous.

Yup its all what you get acclimated too, I visited a friend and it was only in the upper 70's lower 80's but really humid I thought I would die, I went back to 115+ and was better.. I really like cold myself, I go out when its below freezing here without a coat on but I run hot myself all the time. I would move someplace wetter and such but after talking to a friend who has to pressure wash his car to keep mold from growing, and another where its colder and the bugs.. I just am used to here I guess at least for now.

Milo
02-12-2004, 02:25 PM
another beautiful picture.. we actually got some snow this year.. just a little and got to drive though it on the way to town.. We get the okay time to go visit snow type here being surrounded by mountains

Leaflin
02-13-2004, 09:25 PM
Great can't wait to see it.. chuckles just make sure and not paint right after drinking all that wine
What a great excuse to have to buy a bottle of wine and drink it!
Can't wait to see your new painting. I love a good landscape.

ROFLOL :D
Step one is complete!
Me thinks I should do many of these "wine" sculptures ;)

Penny220
02-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Hick-UP LOL

Milo
02-14-2004, 02:46 PM
ROFLOL :D
Step one is complete!
Me thinks I should do many of these "wine" sculptures ;)

You know after the 3rd one tonight its starting to look a bit like abstract art. :)

Leaflin
02-17-2004, 09:33 PM
You know after the 3rd one tonight its starting to look a bit like abstract art. :)

:D LOL :D

Leaflin
02-17-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Sam!
Look what I got.
A Supercalifrafilistic speel cheeker!
Eat your heart out :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Feb-2004/1471-super.jpg

Milo
02-17-2004, 10:26 PM
You know I knew it was there but never turned it on, I am a horrible speller but Safari on OS X has a Check spelling as you type in the web browswer and you just right click to have suggestions etc. Thanks for reminding me that its there (OS X has it built into the OS but I forgot about it). For posting that spellchecker picture that is. Maybe I will post more now LOL.

Caterwallin'
02-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks Linda!!!!!!
Heheheheheeeeeeeee I hav one of thos speel chekerz! LOL!!! I just need to remember where I hid it from myself!!!

I am also using Safari in Mac OS 10.2.8 and I DID not know that it would speel chek! LOL!!!!

But it does!!!!!!!!!! Milo!!!!!!! Your a lifesaver! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks!

Sam

Milo
02-18-2004, 03:06 AM
Milo!!!!!!! Your a lifesaver!

OoooOO Cherry Flavored!.. also you too this allows me to post my 50th posting.. I think that should be no more Newbie! and No speeeeling underlines! :clap: Does the Happy Dance :clap:

Milo

timmjohnn
02-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Colrfast Here:

Penny, I knew I could get you started in a different direction. SNOW! Just draw us some snow.
About the Art... This is going to be limited edition Prints, Christmas Cards, Calendars and even Puzzles. It will be in a series of 5 Prints when I finally get them finished. Wish me luck...

Later,
Dave

im so sick of the snow!!! im out here in western ny,we just got puonded on all winter. no matter, im movin to florida in two weaks.......should be nice and warm were im goin............................

Colorfast
02-21-2004, 12:50 AM
im so sick of the snow!!! im out here in western ny,we just got puonded on all winter. no matter, im movin to florida in two weaks.......should be nice and warm were im goin............................
timmjohnn,
Colorfast Here.
I hear you all have had a pretty tough winter so far this year. So sorry to hear about it. We down here in tn had a short snow fall this past weekend ourselves. In some places we had 1 in. and others within 10 mi. from here had 8 inches of snow. It lasted a whole day and then went away.
I posted a beach scene from fl on the WC a few weeks ago. Maybe when ya get settled in down there, you can post a few pics in airbrush of all the sand for us. But please, make sure ya put a few birds in the pics for us, and not the flying kind, OK?
Later, Dave.
:) :) :) :)

timmjohnn
02-21-2004, 01:13 AM
timmjohnn,
Colorfast Here.
I hear you all have had a pretty tough winter so far this year. So sorry to hear about it. We down here in tn had a short snow fall this past weekend ourselves. In some places we had 1 in. and others within 10 mi. from here had 8 inches of snow. It lasted a whole day and then went away.
I posted a beach scene from fl on the WC a few weeks ago. Maybe when ya get settled in down there, you can post a few pics in airbrush of all the sand for us. But please, make sure ya put a few birds in the pics for us, and not the flying kind, OK?
Later, Dave.
:) :) :) :)
yeah its been pretty tough this winter..i have to work in this crap,sucks..thats mainly the reason were moving..i think being in a place like florida will bring better oportunity anyway..jobs are just barly alive here anymore..i went to sarasota for my honymoon and man! i was shocked as to how much work there is there. not to mention the veiws. ill be sure to paint good lookin babe in sun tan lotion for ya.lol. rated PG hehe..

Penny220
02-21-2004, 10:17 AM

I moved two years ago from western, NY to central, ny hehehehe no matter how much snow they get here they will never understand what a foot an hour or better for 12 hours straight really looks like. Yeah, I've been stranded through some and made it through others by the skin of my teeth in the past. I know where you are coming from.

I feel for you, enjoy florida

Penny220
02-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Just got back from a week in NC. Of course the cold and snow had to follow us and it left the same day we did, I'm blaming my husky for that one! I swear 36 degrees in NC is colder than 18 degrees here. I did get to wear shorts and t-shirt yesterday when we were in VA and PA, I got a few (OK, alot) of strange looks but it felt good to me. It's good to be home even if the snow here is still almost as deep as it was when I left. I did get to see honest to goodness live flowers planted in the ground while I was in NC. That was just too cool!

PS Linda, I waved as I went through VA to you. Did you see me? :)

Leaflin
02-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Linda, I waved as I went through VA to you. Did you see me?

I thought that was you Penny :D
Hope the folks in VA made you welcome as you passed through.

timmjohnn
02-24-2004, 07:55 PM
i went to friends tatto party last night and sold more airbrushed tatto's than he did real tatto's. lol. he has told me that i can never bring my stuff with me to another one of his parties.lol. it was great though, everyone was gettin drunk and had my art all over them..cool..

coherent
02-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Sounds like fun! and... depending on who and where you get to spray the tatoos, sounds like really really great fun! :D
-Marc