PDA

View Full Version : Need a Hug?

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2004, 09:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2004/35425-cjtomato.gif

This is the top 1/2 of an unfinished oil pastel that I started 30 years ago and misplaced in-between several moves. It's on 12x18 Charcoal-Pastel paper and a wonder that it's still holding together. I considered framing it as is. I added some more tomatoes before I scanned it the second time, and they reflected on the soft gray paper and turned the hair highlights and background pink. Wierd. It looks fine IRLORP, (In Real Life On Real Paper) Dyin. :)

This size is a bit small to work full bodies on. Just Head and shoulders would work better on that size paper, I think.

Our daughter was consoling her little brother ( probably for trouble that he had gotten into.) The tomato vines grew over 7 feet tall that year. (Lots of road-apples for mulch.)

ExpressiveAngie
01-31-2004, 09:52 PM
aaawwwwwwwwwww
lovely - yes frame it.
Angie

Dyin
01-31-2004, 10:22 PM
wow...look how vibrant this still is!! It's a lovely subject and looks skilfully handled...how was it stored? I think you should break out those OPs and see what you can do with them! Ha...you're real quick at catching on to those abbreviations lol!

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2004, 10:29 PM
aaawwwwwwwwwww
lovely - yes frame it.
Angie

I just might.
Thanks for taking a look, Angie.

Marilyn Speck Ballard
01-31-2004, 11:09 PM
wow...look how vibrant this still is!! It's a lovely subject and looks skilfully handled...how was it stored? I think you should break out those OPs and see what you can do with them! Ha...you're real quick at catching on to those abbreviations lol!

Dyin,

I had placed the pastel piece carefully inside the tablet of paper and stored it flat. I hadn't sprayed it with fixitive as was the custom back then, because I wanted to finish it at a later time. I've since read that fixative should not be used because it dulls the colors. ???

Yes, now that I have these little guys finished, I can do that. I need to do something now to update my web-site. I may have to spend more time working than playing here. :( But, I can tell you, I will work better and harder. I'll still check in from time to time, to get motivated and to reward myself. :clap:

Where in Idaho are you? Are you in potato country? What zone? Do you have other hobbies?

We start our gardening usually in March, with the early crops. We also plant little sapplings in the woods to replace any dying trees.
Missouri Conservationists tell us that a certain beetle is destroying a large number of our Oak trees, and we need to plant some kinds that are more resistant, to fill in with.

There's a lot to do, everywhere we look. Fruit trees to trim, and later spray, (many times, and for lots of different problems) perennials to divide, cattle to take care of, horses to work with, roses and other flowers to tend, walks in the woods, fishing, campfires, and art projects with the grandchildren (8), meals to prepare (and try to make appealing.) food preserving, jellies, winemaking, and on and on. But, the good thing is, that these are things we enjoy doing, and we have more time for each other when we're working together. We are blessed, indeed.

Dyin,
May God richly bless you, too. I think He has.

Marilyn B.

Dyin
01-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Why, thank you so much, Marilyn, I think he has too! Sounds like you have a full, rich life. We've only lived in Idaho for a few years..but yes, it's potato country! If I ever learn landscapes well enough I want to paint some of these earth bunkers they store them in. Marilyn, why don't you PM me (private message), just click on my picture and you can choose that option.
Fixative isn't usually used on oil pastels, mostly for soft ones. It sure held up well! Will have to go see your web site!

Dyin
01-31-2004, 11:22 PM
PS...all your art is lovely...especially like South Pasture!

Diyart
02-01-2004, 05:46 AM
It`s a lovely painting .. I would be happy to have some of my old
works..so keep it and frame it !!!!

Martin

eileenclaire
02-01-2004, 06:24 AM
I really like this Marilyn! You have captured this moment beautifully! Thanks for sharing this, and hope to see lots more!

Kathryn Wilson
02-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Aren't you glad you didn't toss this one 30 years ago - must bring back many memories. Very strong pose to these two - shows lots of love going on. Really like the tomato vine and "love apples" too.

meowmeow
02-01-2004, 08:49 AM
What a great little painting! I'm glad you saved it...yes, go ahead and frame it. It is wonderful.

Sandy

jfsart7
02-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Marilyn-
Very nice piece. Clean color. I worked with pastel in 1968 for one year. That was enought for me!! A challenge. Have done a few put not much. Good job.
I got your e-mail. I had time to check out your piece.
Jim S.