PDA

View Full Version : Stippling is fun!

Christie
08-12-2001, 10:53 AM
Okay, here is a partial tree trunk that I did on holidays. It was a great deal of fun and very relaxing.

I have been having problems getting things to upload, so if it does not work, i'll try again...

NorahT
08-12-2001, 12:27 PM
Am pleased to say your drawing came through just fine. Good drawing - makes me want to touch the rough bark :)

Christie
08-12-2001, 12:38 PM
Thanks. I wanted to put it in the art project for trees, but for some reason I cannot upload it there. Inquiring minds want to know why? I have emailed Rod to see if he has an answer.

In any case, it was fun to do.

RuthT
08-12-2001, 12:41 PM
Hi Christie - love your tree trunk ! I did think of doing a tree trunk whilst on holiday, but was overwhelmed by the thought of all those dots I would have to do. I chickened out and did an overall view where I could use more lines than dots.
You have inspired me to give it a try next time !

Glad to hear you had a good holiday :)

Christie
08-12-2001, 12:47 PM
Strangely I was overwhelmed by the thought of drawing lines in ink! I do have a whole tree lined up to do at some point though.

MarkL
08-12-2001, 04:11 PM
Hi Christie

Well done good to see others giving it a go (pointillism) its one of my favourite styles so keep up the good work Ill be checking up :)

see ya

Christie
08-12-2001, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words MarkL. I am finding this very relaxing! I am working on another, larger picture right now and have several more lined up.

dupliKate
08-12-2001, 07:51 PM
Hooooleeeee! How big is this drawing?

I have wanted to try stippling as well, but I'm not sure I have what it takes! This is a great tree trunk! (I find trees really, really hard...and it sure isn't because they are moving too much!)

Very impressive. I can hardly wait to see what you will do with a whole tree.

Way to go!

K

:p :p

Christie
08-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the compliment. My kids looked at it and said, "Nice tree, can we leave now?"

It's small (about 4 cm x 10 cm). I do have a tree lined up to do, but got sidetracked by a bridge.:p

The bridge is about 20 cm x 16 cm, so it will take a bit.

Sandi
08-15-2001, 09:12 PM
It's beautiful, Christy. Glad you found it relaxing and rewarding.

:::fun?? methinks we should call the paramedics! Christy's losing it big time:::
Wish I had the patience for stipliNG.

Christie
08-15-2001, 10:52 PM
Thanks Sandi! After a day of user support, this is relaxing! well, it is less frustrating and more constructive anyhow.:p

artdude
08-16-2001, 04:43 PM
Hi Christie: GREAT job on the stippled tree trunk :clap: Glad you found it relaxing. It is time consuming but the end results ARE worth it!!! :D

Christie
08-16-2001, 05:23 PM
Thanks. I really am enjoying the challenge of not being able to erase my mistakes! :p

I think that I need to start investigating refillable pens though. Where should I be looking for them? Any ideas?

artdude
08-16-2001, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Christie

I think that I need to start investigating refillable pens though. Where should I be looking for them? Any ideas?

Any art supply shop should have them. I use the Koh-I-Noor tech pens myself. They are re-fillable and have stainless steel tips that last forever :) You will also have to clean the tip after each use. You just dip them into a cleaning solution that is made for air brush tips. This will keep them from clogging. Good luck in your pen hunting :D

PS: My wife and I were just in Calgary a few days ago and spent two days at the Zoo...I took 4 rolls of film and got some GREAT wildlife shots. Now I have lots to choose from for future art projects :)

Christie
08-16-2001, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the pen suggestion. i will check out Nordraft next time I am in there.

The zoo is a great place to visit! My husband and i take the kids there about once a month and they play in the playground. Sometimes one of us manages to sneak away to see the animals... :p

If you are in Calgary often, we should see about getting the people in the area together for a dinner, kind of like the New Yorkers do.

sassybird
08-17-2001, 03:46 PM
Pointllism is great fun. I had a friend that used to say I made her nervous just watching me do it...........lol For me as you I find it wonderfully relaxing. It is like all my tensiion is going out my hand into the pen and on the paper. This is a good job on the tree trunk. Keep up the good work.

You also mentioned refillable pens. I have a set of Staelar (I know I mis-spelled that) that I have had for over 20 yrs. There are 9 pens in the set, all refillable and different size nibs. Rapidograph is also another good brand, and you can get the same size nibs. They are a bit spendy, but if you are going to do much pen and ink work it is worth the investment. You can find these in most art stores, but also can be ordered through www.danielsmith.com or dickblick.com.

I just posted a pointillism piece called Peacock. It is 20x24", took a lifetime and was worth every dot on it.

Christie
08-17-2001, 04:30 PM
Ah, THESE brands I know! I have even seen them locally. I had not thought about the tension issue, but that is exactly what I felt!

I can't wait to see the peacock. in fact it is my next stop.:)

viking57
08-18-2001, 06:15 PM
Christie, you did a wonderful job on the rough texture of the bark on your tree trunk. The bark just comes alive on your image.
Your values are also very well done. I have a tendancy to go too light I think in my works staying towards the medium values so seeing a drawing using darker values is always something to strive for.
Excellent work Christie!!

Christie
08-18-2001, 06:21 PM
Thank you. I tend toward middle values myself in graphite, but for some reason, working in pen seems to make me tend to a wider range of values.

swan
10-12-2001, 11:15 AM
I think that this process probably focus on slowly tuning the values, adding points gradually, must try it.

Christie
10-12-2001, 11:35 AM
Surprisingly, I find that it is more relaxing than the regular graphite work that I do. It gives me something to do during the long winters out here!:p

swan
10-12-2001, 12:11 PM
Our Canadian winters are long, especially towards February, march...I just planted 150 bulbs. I dream of spring already.....Drawing does help to pass the time, I wanted to draw in the garden all summer. But there was so much to do, the kids are home.....I am saving up photos to use during the winter, when I hibernate....hopefully some of my ideas will geminate.

Christie
10-12-2001, 12:22 PM
Exactly what I am doing! My kids were at home all summer as well and we did get out and do some painting at a park. However, a four year old and a six year old can only go for so long before they get hungry... :p

I have dogs, so our garden in the back yard is pretty much vegetables that they will not eat. Bulbs would be nice to plant, but it will be a next fall project because things were too dry this year. My flower beds are dut down about 8 inches because I had to use the water to keep the trees alive...

I have a stack of about 100 pictures lined up for pen and ink (when I find my pens), graphite and watercolour. Of course, I started in on them yesterday because we got a small snow squall.

I guess that Canadian winters are good for something after all.:p

swan
10-12-2001, 12:50 PM
My kids are 12 and 13, they are gone most of the day now. I thought that I would have more time. But somehow there is always something someone needs me to do. I waited so long for this time alone but, now I actually miss them.

I like drawing from photos that I took. Somehow they are less removed than beautiful pictures from books or the web. I think I should also keep a written account of what I was thinking while taking the picture.

Drawing in pen is relaxing because it is simpler. And it is hard enough to keep focused with everyone else around.

I guess with stippling you can start and stop. I posted a portrait in this forum,( eyes, any insight..) it is all lines and cross hatchings, quick scratchings. I am going to try to redo it with stippling.

Lines are a commitment. I realize now that I made so many corrections and drawing llines over lines because my focus lost (answering a math question).

I am going to choose a few lines of his face, and do all the shading with stippling.......

like I do my house chores. Divide and conquer.......I see that I avoid it, so I try to divide it up in small digestable tasks, and treat myself to a reward.......