PDA

View Full Version : eBay article - on the go

timelady
08-12-2001, 05:30 AM
No, I haven't forgotten about it! I'm going to start pulling together all the information today so feel free to post more info here. I find graphic information useful so I'm trying to include screenshots and images to make it as easy as possible to follow. :)

I've decided the basic structure is going to be:
1. Very simple walkthrough of a listing (not too in depth as eBay has excellent links and tutorials)
2. Plain english explanation of the features that have confused people (like reserve prices, escrow terms, etc.)
3. Settings for pictures and images for best resolution
4. Rules on other links to 3rd parties and own web pages
5. Other tips and hints specifically from the art community, including web groups like ebsq.

So please let me know, specifically, if you had any things that confused you the first time you tried to list on eBay (or any auction site - the information should be relevent to most of the sites and I'll give the URLs for all the ones I know of)

Ta,
Tina.

leesmith
08-13-2001, 09:27 PM
Thanks Tina,

I'm looking forward to your article!

tammy
08-14-2001, 12:33 AM
I don't use it so don't know much about it but some people do. Oh, sorry, I'm talking about listing with a reserve price. I've heard that what eBay charges for that sometimes confuses folks. Maybe you could include something about this. You might include tidbits of info such as what to do with non paying bidders, how to react with purchases that don't make it to you and how to react to people not leaving feedback. There's always Safe Harbor but sometimes it's easier to be patient with people etc, when these things happen so on and so forth. For example, sometimes hasty feedback is often regretted etc. You know. The read between the lines of the rules stuff. :D

tammy
08-14-2001, 01:12 AM
As far as the Ebsq group thing goes, they have found a way to be considered a 3 party so that they can have a link that you can put in your item view area on your listing. So far it is legal with eBay.
It has to do with the fact that to use ebsq in one's title and to use the link an artist must be willing to send out one of their certificates or one of the artists choosing, if requested by the buyer certifing yourself as an ebsq artist etc.

The ebsq group leader is requesting that anyone who does not want to do this must quit using ebsq in their listings and also wants them to ask to be removed from their mailing lists and to not use the link.

I'm not sure how many WC'ers are also Ebsq'ers but this is something new for them and so it may be worth mentioning.

timelady
08-14-2001, 02:39 PM
Thanks for those ideas Tammy. :) I'll gather tips on follow-up too. The ebay forums have some great info. (oh, the article's aimed at selling though, so I'm not going to go into buying and receiving goods)

As for the ebsq thing, I need to email John about that. The problem as I see it is that we're still only allowed ONE 3rd party link. Personally, my PayPal link is FAR more important than an ebsq link. Particularly since I don't even think any of my buyers found my art by looking for ebsq. But I'd hate to have to leave the group because I don't want to link. I don't mind putting a graphic only. Ah well, will email him and see what happens...

Tina.

tammy
08-14-2001, 06:42 PM
Yes, Tina I know what you mean. If I used paypal I'd keep that link. About the ebsq title and such, I think he is being pretty strong on the membership thing, but there has been alot going on with the membership I think, so he's trying to figure it all out.

I don't use paypal or billpoint so I don't have to think too hard about it. LOL

Now if we had a Wetcanvas link like it of course, I'd have to go with Scott!.

scottb
08-14-2001, 06:47 PM
Great idea for an article! Are you planning on using the WC article publisher? This would be a fabulous addition to the *barren* art business channel - hehehe.

timelady
08-15-2001, 04:40 PM
Yes, I was going to use the WC publisher. :) Shame the channel is quiet... I guess we all just talk about things so much on the board we forget about the channel page (I do anyway).

Over on the robot side I frequent we have the same problem. About once a month I try to contribute something - usually I trawl the web and come up with a theme and post a bunch of links. (The last one was the my top 5 sites on the topic. Before that I did a quote of an article about the robot from a 'real' newspaper.) Don't know if something that's more link-gathering or repetition of an news article elsewhere would be welcome.

You know what else I'd love to see? Success stories. It sounds silly maybe, but A&I Magazine always has a last page where an artist has talked about their background, their art, and how their business is going (and things they tried to get there). I always get a little inspiration and with so many artists I'm sure there's a lot to share! :)

Tina.

scottb
08-16-2001, 04:56 PM
I agree - anyone wanna volunteer for a success story piece? :) :)

TPS
08-16-2001, 09:48 PM
A&I magazine?

timelady
08-18-2001, 06:28 AM
A&I - Artists & Illustrators magazine (UK)

Maybe we should start a new thread for success stories? (since this says eBay on it)

Tina.