lgol27
01-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Name : Self-Creating
Medium : oil pastels on paper
Size : 19 x 24 inch

any comments?

christmascarolnz
01-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Hello Igol. Interesting and colourful painting. I'm not an abstract artist, but I like your painting.
I noticed that one of your 'petals' has more shading in it than the others - the bottom viewer's left circle. Is this intentional? It looks quite neat.
I guess you could shade them all in different ways to make the petals look dimensional ...but I guess that's the fun in painting abstract - you can do whatever you want.
Good on you. :clap: :clap:
Carol

Dyin
01-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Like I said before, your titles lean me towards looking at it a certain way...this one makes me think of fallopian tubes and the egg it just created. Since I mostly work with realism, could you tell us about how you approach this and what your thought processes are??? Might give me a better understanding of abstract work. Thanks!

ArtsiePhartsie
01-29-2004, 04:46 PM
Like I said before, your titles lean me towards looking at it a certain way...this one makes me think of fallopian tubes and the egg it just created. Since I mostly work with realism, could you tell us about how you approach this and what your thought processes are??? Might give me a better understanding of abstract work. Thanks!

LOL Dyin.....It makes me think of the same thing ...Somtimes I think my ovaries are having wars in there....it's definately NOT a peaceful feeling....I wish it WAS more like this painting...gentle, relaxed and peaceful.

I too would like to understand more of the thought process behind abstract work...it intrigues me.

~Artise
(43 almost...can ya tell ) :D

Dyin
01-29-2004, 05:07 PM
LOL Dyin.....It makes me think of the same thing ...Somtimes I think my ovaries are having wars in there....it's definately NOT a peaceful feeling....I wish it WAS more like this painting...gentle, relaxed and peaceful.

I too would like to understand more of the thought process behind abstract work...it intrigues me.

~Artise
(43 almost...can ya tell ) :D

almost 52...it NEVER ends :( :p
...but it really did make me think along those lines!

CarlyHardy
01-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could 'rotate' images when we view them! :)

To me, this one looks upside down....I see a floral image. I really like your use of color...very rich....fits with the abstract quality of the image.

I have a friend who paints abstracts with pastels....she says her paintings always seem to take on an architectural quality about them...but its not realistic...just more of a sense.

What do you feel is your motif? organic? botanical? etc.
My attempts with abstracts and pastels haven't been all that great yet...but I'm still working on it!
carly

bnoonan
01-30-2004, 12:43 PM
I'm a fan!!!! I have to say that I immediately thought of it being done with threads of floss - like it was a stitched piece of work. I like the color combinations you've chose and I do like the fact that something is outside the connected pieces.

Keep them coming - they are challenging to everyone and fun to enjoy!

Barb

meowmeow
01-30-2004, 03:15 PM
I agree with Barb...it made me think of embroidered work. REally nice texture and colors.

Sandy

lgol27
01-30-2004, 04:50 PM
I noticed that one of your 'petals' has more shading in it than the others - the bottom viewer's left circle. Is this intentional? It looks quite neat.
Carol

Thank you, Carol! The only intention I had is the petals should look different. So the shading is accidental.

lgol27
01-30-2004, 04:59 PM

The main idea of this piece is that something inside you (the lower part of the "tree") is the base for building yourself, if you work on it (the petals), and while working on something that looks like a sidekick, you grow and build yourself (as a person, or as a professional, etc.). I hope you can understand my explainations.

The process of actual creating/painting I cannot explain. Sometimes I "see" the whole image, sometimes I have only some detail. When I start drawing it, the detail leads me to another "piece of puzzle". The colors have some meanings (at least for me). For example, brown is something dirty, and at the same time it is something earthy, basic, practical. Blue is a color of hope. Green is youth. Red ... well ...I think you got the pattern.

lgol27
01-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could 'rotate' images when we view them! :)

A lot of people say they want to rotate my works. And you know, surprisingly sometimes the work looks better rotated.

What do you feel is your motif? organic? botanical? etc.
carly

This painting is definitely botanical. But usually I think of them as a set of pieces of fabrics lying/flying together.

lgol27
01-30-2004, 05:08 PM
I checked your mailgroup. This is a soft pastels group. Unfortunately there are not a lot of people working with oil pastels.