PDA

View Full Version : Jackson

jaymarvin
01-26-2004, 09:53 PM
I did this one today between my shifts at the radio station. Mixed media on paper 22X30

comments???

jay

Tamana
01-26-2004, 10:16 PM
The Smiths soon found out it was neither cloudy nor rainy outside...

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
The Smiths soon found out it was neither cloudy nor rainy outside...

So what are you trying to say? I don't get it.

jay

Tamana
01-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Most adults don't. :)

I'm saying it has a playful childlike quality that spawns adult imagination. :)

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Most adults don't. :)

I'm saying it has a playful childlike quality that spawns adult imagination. :)

Hmm! Thanks!

jay :D

Smileawhyl
01-27-2004, 11:20 AM
What I gleaned from Tam's comment was pretty funny. Like one of those Far Side cartoons where the people in the house underneath the animal (the blue area), while thinking the weather is cloudy or rainy, find instead that it is neither of those things. Like the irony of a Star Wars cruiser finding safety in a deep cave only to find out it is actually the treacherous mouth of a lurking space worm.

What makes her comment doubly funny to me is that I hope the Smiths don't come outside the house during a supposed 'rain storm'. :D

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 11:27 AM
What I gleaned from Tam's comment was pretty funny. Like one of those Far Side cartoons where the people in the house underneath the animal (the blue area), while thinking the weather is cloudy or rainy, find instead that it is neither of those things. Like the irony of a Star Wars cruiser finding safety in a deep cave only to find out it is actually the treacherous mouth of a lurking space worm.

What makes her comment doubly funny to me is that I hope the Smiths don't come outside the house during a supposed 'rain storm'. :D

So did you like it?

Smileawhyl
01-27-2004, 11:55 AM
So did you like it?

The short answer is 'no'.

My more thought-filled answer is 'no'. While I understand this was somewhat of a dash and dab between sets, when I think of intuitive rendering, I look for emotive symbology—something which refines the essence of the conglomerate, or something which expands my awareness of the artist's motivation. What I got from viewing this initially was fairly close to zero, until I saw Tam's comment, causing me to examine it a bit more closely. I've seen work of yours that I like much more than this and I like your abstracts even better. I know nothing of your radio show so I know very little about you. This picture tells me even less.

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 02:58 PM
The short answer is 'no'.

My more thought-filled answer is 'no'. While I understand this was somewhat of a dash and dab between sets, when I think of intuitive rendering, I look for emotive symbology—something which refines the essence of the conglomerate, or something which expands my awareness of the artist's motivation. What I got from viewing this initially was fairly close to zero, until I saw Tam's comment, causing me to examine it a bit more closely. I've seen work of yours that I like much more than this and I like your abstracts even better. I know nothing of your radio show so I know very little about you. This picture tells me even less.

I really didn't like it either. Now you're the first one who likes my abstracts better! Here's on I did today. I'm not sure I like this one, and I think I need to take a break for a while.

jay

Smileawhyl
01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I really didn't like it either. Now you're the first one who likes my abstracts better! Here's on I did today. I'm not sure I like this one, and I think I need to take a break for a while.

jay
This seems forced to me (and please take into account I said "to me"). When I put this against some of your other works like "Codeine #9" or "Post Op Number 3", it lacks the depth and spirit in comparison.

It leans more toward trying to be representational but does look to be uninspired, leaving me unable to relate to this particular image in the same way I can with Codeine or Post Op. Also, the relationship between the blue and red in this seems really strained, whereas in Codeine, it really seems to work.

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 08:56 PM
This seems forced to me (and please take into account I said "to me"). When I put this against some of your other works like "Codeine #9" or "Post Op Number 3", it lacks the depth and spirit in comparison.

It leans more toward trying to be representational but does look to be uninspired, leaving me unable to relate to this particular image in the same way I can with Codeine or Post Op. Also, the relationship between the blue and red in this seems really strained, whereas in Codeine, it really seems to work.

Hmm. I didn't really force it. It kind of just came. I agree it doesn't flow as well as the other two. Some do I guess, and some don't. A painter friend of mine said he really liked this one. I can't ever really say about my own work.

jay
:D

ronin
01-27-2004, 09:36 PM
now i thought of the music group when you said the smiths. im not real crazy about this piece. however i am amazed at the child like qualtity to it. i think that is something you could capitalize on. i would work through more pieces in this style. dont give up on it yet......see it through. sometimes we have a tendency to just work on our strengths when the gold is waiting in our weaknesses.

jaymarvin
01-27-2004, 09:49 PM
now i thought of the music group when you said the smiths. im not real crazy about this piece. however i am amazed at the child like qualtity to it. i think that is something you could capitalize on. i would work through more pieces in this style. dont give up on it yet......see it through. sometimes we have a tendency to just work on our strengths when the gold is waiting in our weaknesses.

Ronin, thanks. Now what about the abstract piece? Any thoughts?

jay

Smileawhyl
01-27-2004, 11:10 PM
Hmm. I didn't really force it. It kind of just came. I agree it doesn't flow as well as the other two. Some do I guess, and some don't. A painter friend of mine said he really liked this one. I can't ever really say about my own work.

jay
:D
Well, I'm impressed that you find the time to paint as much as you do. That's why I really wanted to emphasize that this was just MY opinion. :D

Pilan
01-27-2004, 11:53 PM
Jay, I think your colors combinations are fabulous! They seems fresh and unpremeditated choice of color. Sort of like spontaneous and uncomplicated. Easy not labored and pure.

Now, whether or not you did this by choice it does not matter, but I think and too me they looks very fresh in nature. Keep painting and posting.

Anyhow, hope you understand where I am coming from. I do like them.

P

jaymarvin
01-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Jay, I think your colors combinations are fabulous! They seems fresh and unpremeditated choice of color. Sort of like spontaneous and uncomplicated. Easy not labored and pure.

Now, whether or not you did this by choice it does not matter, but I think and too me they looks very fresh in nature. Keep painting and posting.

Anyhow, hope you understand where I am coming from. I do like them.

P

Pilan, thanks. Smile I guess that's why I'm always tired!
:evil: Jay

Pilan
01-28-2004, 03:38 PM
your welcome :)

Smileawhyl
01-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Pilan, thanks. Smile I guess that's why I'm always tired!
:evil: Jay
I can't work on delicate stuff when I'm tired, but starting a new project seems to transcend exhaustion. Although, the older I get, the more jealous I become about work time spilling into personal time. Pilan's right. Just keep painting!

jaymarvin
01-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I can't work on delicate stuff when I'm tired, but starting a new project seems to transcend exhaustion. Although, the older I get, the more jealous I become about work time spilling into personal time. Pilan's right. Just keep painting!

I did two more today! Their on the Open Critque(sp?) Forum!

Mary Riggs
01-28-2004, 06:11 PM
Jackson......able to leap tall buildings in a single bound....... or is he dancing on top of a car?

Fun piece, Jay!

jaymarvin
01-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Jackson......able to leap tall buildings in a single bound....... or is he dancing on top of a car?

Fun piece, Jay!

Thanks, Mary!