Tink
01-25-2004, 07:10 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Area Artist Launches Public Project:
Glass Art Treasures Free for the Taking

Email: [email protected]
URL: www.blackswampglassworks.com

Toledo, OH – January 26, 2004

Beginning February 1, 2004, and throughout the remainder of the month, small works of glass art will be left in various places around the city of Toledo by Black Swamp Glassworks, a private central-city glass studio. These beads, vessels and small sculptures will be signed and tagged with a card explaining the project and clarifying that the found art belongs to the finder. The items will be left near shelters, in libraries, under bridges, in alleys and other spots around town.

“This is my latest attempt to get art into the hands of the people, which is where it belongs”, says the artist, known simply as ‘Tink’. “Too often, art is treated as and perceived as being only for the privileged. Ironically, so much of what goes into art comes from the experiences of the oppressed, marginalized and forgotten segments of society. This is just my small attempt to chip away at those barriers and help reset the equilibrium. Everyone deserves to have art in their lives.”

Why February 1? That is National Freedom Day, which memorializes the signing of the 13th amendment to the constitution in 1865. Its purpose is the promotion of good feelings, harmony and equality among all US citizens. Major Richard Robert Wright, Sr., a former slave who was active in education, finance, politics, and journalism, founded the National Freedom Day Association worked toward establishing this national day to commemorate freedom for all people.

A webpage has been established for discussing this public art project, and for logging your finds:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/publicart

Tink is a glass artist with a background in social work who lives in Toledo's Old West End. She was the first place winner in the jewelry division of the 2003 Delphi Art Glass Festival competition. Tink teaches glass classes at Gallery B in Toledo and has studied privately with Robert Mickelesen, an artist represented in the current exhibit at the Toledo Museum of Art: "Contemporary Directions: Glass from the Maxine and William Block Collection" which runs through February 15, 2004.

###

AnnArbor_Blower
01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I LOVE IT!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tink,
This is a wonderful idea! I like the idea of a homeless person finding one of your pieces and carrying it around in their pocket. In my mind they take it out and look at it once in a while and experience a moment of beauty.

So often (although not enough) we feed the bodies of the needy, but we don't usually feed their souls.

Jeff

Tink
01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Thank you, Jeff! You're so right about the "moment of beauty" thing. That's what I see in my mind's eye when I think of this project.

This is an idea that has been brewing in my mind for a couple of years now. I give a LOT of art away, as that gives me great pleasure. But I think the aspect of putting the art "out there" and allowing folks to discover it on their own gives it a whole new twist.

I'm eager to see what happens with this. I wonder if I'll get any nibbles on my press release?

I've had a few lampworkers ask me about doing this in their own geographic area, which I think is fabulous!

macbeth7
01-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Awesome idea, Tink! :clap: :clap: :clap: