PDA

View Full Version : The Rooming House -- OP's

gr8pets
01-25-2004, 05:50 PM
My first oil pastel!

I did this for the WDE this weekend, and Kat and Kathy asked me to share it here as well.

I'm not a loose person, so it was practically painful to work so fast and loose. I normally stick to pencils, but this was a great excuse to try out my new Holbein OP's. I have to admit, I'm prouder of this quickie than paintings I have sweated over for weeks.

I'm looking forward to getting better with the OP's. I LOVED being able to scrape back to previous colors. How neat!

Thanks for looking,

Christi

Kathryn Wilson
01-25-2004, 05:52 PM
Hey, you made it over here from the WDE - good. Now all the oilies can have a peek at your wonderful painting!

ArtsiePhartsie
01-25-2004, 05:54 PM
My first oil pastel!

I did this for the WDE this weekend, and Kat and Kathy asked me to share it here as well.

I'm not a loose person, so it was practically painful to work so fast and loose. I normally stick to pencils, but this was a great excuse to try out my new Holbein OP's. I have to admit, I'm prouder of this quickie than paintings I have sweated over for weeks.

I'm looking forward to getting better with the OP's. I LOVED being able to scrape back to previous colors. How neat!

Thanks for looking,

Christi

I love it! Makes me want to pull up a chair.......

~Artsie

Dyin
01-25-2004, 08:19 PM
oilies, eh???? :mad:, I think we're more smoothies.... lol....this is great!!! I don't even have to ask how you liked the holbeins...my fav. Hope you'll go take a peek in the library...there's an OP thread and in the archives there's a bunch of OP links that are great...way below the softies links. You can scrape and if you use Art Spectrum you can even erase! Nice for tight little edges sometimes. Plus you can do a watercolor underpainting and use prismacolor pencils with....hope we'll see lots more!

eileenclaire
01-25-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm not a loose person, so it was practically painful to work so fast and loose.
Christi

I can identify with that! So you decided to go for the Holbeins! It looks like your enjoying them. I can see why you are happy with this. I like that reflection in the window and the colors you used there. Can't wait to see more of your work!!!

gr8pets
01-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the responses! Yes, I do love the Holbeins, but I would have gotten a set of Caran D'ache OP's first if I had found a good deal on them. I saw the Holbeins for a great price on eBay and couldn't pass them up.

I like the square shape of the Holbeins, but there is really something I like about the Neopastels...One of these days, I'll get a set. They seem so creamy. Mmmmmm...

Next, I want to try mixing OP's with my Prismacolors to get more detail. That's the great thing about the OP's...they "play well with others". :D

Christi