PDA

View Full Version : WIP -TChris52

Tom Christopher
01-25-2004, 12:57 PM
I was rquested by "Dark Shades" to submit pics on the process I use to develop my pastels paintings. In the early stages I am using the cheepest pastels I can find --I even have of few pieces of my daughter's sidewalk chalk. The image size is approx 21"x33" on Bugra pastel paper. I am relying on old color sketches and paintings (Road Home) for a color scheme. The landscape in Iowa this time of year is void of color... I have been working on the painting for about 2 hours--The early process is quite fast--I will post more in a day or so...
Tom
Ps I'll be happey to answer any questions...

Dark_Shades
01-25-2004, 01:15 PM
WOW Tom, thanks for starting this so quickly and with all these progress shots...... cant wait to see more..... you work really quickly too........ excellent progress shots......

What is Bugra paper? ..... does it have any texture

Thanks so much for doing this and sharing with us ....... am going back and forth viewing your WIP :D ........ more questions later no doubt

Dark_Shades
01-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Question 2. :D ....... In your very first progress shot, you seem to have got some good texture going already....... how did you do that?

Kathryn Wilson
01-25-2004, 03:10 PM
This is looking good - can't wait until the next installment!

Dyin
01-25-2004, 03:23 PM
Please rate this guys....I like your work and am rotten at landscapes so think this will be a big help....I think they're putting the good ones in the Hall of Fame...

Tom Christopher
01-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Question 2. :D ....... In your very first progress shot, you seem to have got some good texture going already....... how did you do that?

DS- I bought the Bugra paper from DIck Blick only because i can get larger sheet --34x40 inches--not the best-- sometimes it comes wrinkled--I use the smooth side.. The light texture comes from laying down pigement using long strokes various pressures.(flat side of pastel)

Here's the last pic of the day --About 4 hours into the project. I estimate about half- way completed.

Tom

Dyin
01-25-2004, 03:38 PM
again...thanks for doing this wip. I do portraits with ease....looks like a kid's painting when I try landscapes. Thinking when I get done with this portrait I'm on I'll try this as a practice, if that's ok with you....I'll bin it even if it turns out...am hoping there is enough info on these shots to give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong. I'm using OP's and so may do the first stage in gouache...I tried one recently with red under green and the red picked up into the green too much and dulled it terribly. Thanks...we always appreciate good wips around here. Hope every one rates this...

Dark_Shades
01-25-2004, 03:52 PM
..... Tom this is coming along SUPERB!!! :clap: .... just love it!!

...... so much atmosphere ....... texture..... colour.......
...... again thank you for sharing with us....... so many are going to gain from this....

lol Sue, yup with you on that score........ portraits easy peasee to landscapes...... well with what Tom is showing us...... we can only improve...... erm .... right :rolleyes: ...... Ive rated this .... Top Marks!

Kathryn Day
01-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks, this is really informational. Love seeing how artists work.

Tom Christopher
01-25-2004, 06:01 PM
I was rquested by "Dark Shades" to submit pics on the process I use to develop my pastels paintings. In the early stages I am using the cheepest pastels I can find --I even have of few pieces of my daughter's sidewalk chalk. The image size is approx 21"x33" on Bugra pastel paper. I am relying on old color sketches and paintings (Road Home) for a color scheme. The landscape in Iowa this time of year is void of color... I have been working on the painting for about 2 hours--The early process is quite fast--I will post more in a day or so...
Tom
Ps I'll be happey to answer any questions...

Well I am getting close to the end--This is where I struggle-Knowing when the painting is finished--I will work on details tomorrow ---Here are the latest pics--any comments or suggestions certainly welcome.
Tom

Dark_Shades
01-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Tom...... these are just wonderful...... :clap: ...... the light you have just started to put in, takes it to something else..... :clap:

....... and I was thinking of your earlier comment, about Iowa being void of colour this time of year..... well what you and your imagination have depicted, is a place people will want to go visit for sure..... just love it....

..... the only thing I realise for myself in 'knowing' when to stop is when I start fiddling with it..... when I go passed the stage of unconsiously just getting on with it..... and I stop and ponder.... hmmmm what should I do now....... thats the point!!! ...... STOP :)

Kathryn Wilson
01-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Stop right there! - LOL. It's perfect! I couldn't believe the difference between even these two - quite a leap into perfection. Mat and frame it!

:)

Paula Ford
01-25-2004, 07:32 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!! That is so gorgeous.

I look forward to seeing all of your work and posts!!

Great job!!

Mo.
01-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Tom, your WIP is so very inspiring and beautiful to look at, watching the step by step progress is fascinating, 21 x 33 is a large painting and we are viewing so small a version, everything is condensed --- any chance of some close up shots of your work? I would love to see the strokes and techniques you have used in more detail.

Thankyou for for sharing your expertise with us.

Mo.:)

Tom Christopher
01-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Tom, your WIP is so very inspiring and beautiful to look at, watching the step by step progress is fascinating, 21 x 33 is a large painting and we are viewing so small a version, everything is condensed --- any chance of some close up shots of your work? I would love to see the strokes and techniques you have used in more detail.

Mo-- I will take some close-up shots tomorrow . I took some notes as I went along --I will include them as well.
Tom

Artistammy
01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Just one more request. ;) Will you post your reference photo? I'd like to see the inspiration & where you took it. Thanks.

Tom Christopher
01-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Just one more request. ;) Will you post your reference photo? I'd like to see the inspiration & where you took it. Thanks.

No problem --here it is---The photo was taken this am 1-25-03. This scene is along the Iowa river in Central Iowa.
Tom

Tom Christopher
01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
No problem --here it is---The photo was taken this am 1-25-03. This scene is along the Iowa river in Central Iowa.
Tom

Correctioin--the date should be 1-25 -04--this is a new year afterall
Tom

MonicaB
01-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Wow! Your version is definitely much better. :D

E-J
01-26-2004, 08:53 AM
Tom - this reminds me of Bruegel - your colours are lovely! Thanks for sharing your progress.

Shari
01-26-2004, 11:51 AM
Tom,

This is so beautiful and inspiring!!! I love your colors and how you got the light in there. Thanks for posting the progression of the painting. I always have a problem at this point looking at the photo and imagining or feeling how I would change it, I don't want to paint it like it looks, but you really have a strong imagination to manifest this painting from that photo, wow!!! I would love to be able to look at a rather dull photo and make it zing!!! Thanks for sharing this so much.

Shari

Tom Christopher
01-26-2004, 07:14 PM

MO--here are the close-ups you requested ( the first pic is the finished painting I completed today) --I also thought I would post the notes i took during the painting process... It may give some insight intothe decisions I made to complete the piece----------

Starting the painting--
1st pic --using MUNGYO semi soft pastels
blocked out the large shapes and light and dark areas using a medium blue (in case I need to go darker) --Haven't really come up with design yet

2nd pic---using MUNGYO semi soft pastels
I have hit on a basic design--I begin with the back ground trees first and proceed forward--this helps to keep my arms from rubbing against the painting. I am slightly rubbing the colors in to the paper w/ my hands making sure the colors are working together--This is the last time my hands will touch the painting. Just using med blue and rust color pastel at this point.

Pic 3 and 4--using MUNGYO semi soft pastels
I have to make a decision--Should I make a walking path aroung the hill--decided no--Because the weather today is grey and dark and we're in the middle of winter--I want to portray a warm early spring day when the snow is melting and the waterways are full.

pic 5--- using MUNGYO semi soft pastels and Blue and white SCMINCKE soft pastels
Have decided to put a stream around the hill in the foreground. I am continueing to work from the tree line forward--I use Scmincke white for the snow and Scmincke blue for the shadow.

Pic 6 using MUNGYO semi soft pastels and Blue and white SCMINCKE
continueing to add snow and details--I am using the bright Schmincke soft pastel to bring out the bright sunlit area on the hill and bright snow areas

Tom

Mo.
01-26-2004, 07:43 PM
Tom, this is excellent, you have shown us the bare bones here and I love it, can now see how you work,fascinating and inspiring, thankyou for this wonderful insight, this will be invaluable to a lot of members I know---- now you realise don't you what you have done here? You have done an excellent demo of your beautiful work, would you consider now turning this whole thread into an article? I appreciate you are probably very busy, but how about it hey?

Drop me a PM if the answer is yes.

Thanks so much for this Tom.

binkie
01-26-2004, 09:15 PM
All I can say is, "WOW!" That is a gorgeous painting!!!

I'm fairly new to art and seeing the painting at different stages is sooooo
very helpful.

binkie